Start by marking “The Sun Is Also a Star” as Want to Read:
The Sun Is Also a Star

The Sun Is Also a Star

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  72,414 Ratings  ·  12,411 Reviews
Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been t
Published November 1st 2016 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sun Is Also a Star, please sign up.

Abby (Miss Abigail) Yeah, I guess it is a bit like Eleanor and Park, but I think this book is unique in the way it addresses racial prejudices between non-white groups -…moreYeah, I guess it is a bit like Eleanor and Park, but I think this book is unique in the way it addresses racial prejudices between non-white groups - it's interesting and easy to read at the same time, while also having all the lovely, gooey bits of a YA contemporary!(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dani Starr No, they don't.

Emily May
The universe stops and waits for us.
She opens her palm and she’s going to take my hand. She’s supposed to take my hand. We’re meant to walk through this world together. I see it in her eyes. We are meant to be.

2 1/2 stars. I tried. I'm sorry, but I tried. I just couldn't love this like I wanted to.

My problem with Yoon's Everything, Everything was the twist. That awful twist. But her style was enjoyable and easy to read, so I was eager to give her books another shot. I was honestly ready to lov
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was really great! I can't say why I docked a star, because it's spoilery, but I'll have a video review up soon going over my thoughts & what not.
Christine Riccio
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent, I loved it! Here's my full booktalk: https://youtu.be/6tHgsZN9XWA
Bhavik
Apr 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cover-love
How this cover was created:

Kat O'Keeffe
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Romantic and adorable, with a perfect balance of heart-wrenching moments. Endlessly hopeful yet still grounded in reality. Pretty much everything I want from a YA contemporary. I'm two for two with Nicola Yoon books read and loved, so there's no doubt I'll be reaching for her next novel as soon as it comes out!

Sabaa Tahir
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Within the first 20 pages of THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR, I knew I was reading something special, and within the first 50, I knew this was going to be one of my favorite books of 2016. Natasha and Daniel are funny, flawed, fully-developed characters who feel as familiar as old friends. Their love story is anything but simple, and you will root for them until the very last page. Nicola intersperses their story with beautifully wrought and deeply considered musings on other characters, physics, history ...more
Riley
This book is incredibly beautiful in so many ways that I can't even begin to explain right now
Lola  Reviewer
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
So this book isn’t entirely realistic. Too many coincidences. But what it is is SUPER cute.

Natasha and Daniel meet. Then meet again. And again. Could it be fate pushing them together? Natasha doesn’t want to think so; after all, she trusts science, not concepts that cannot be scientifically proven.

Daniel is moonstruck over Natasha. Unlike her, he believes in fate and love at first sight. Now he just has to convince Natasha that they were meant for each other.

It sounds so cheesy and clichéd, doe
Nat
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, diverse-reads
description
On a "perfect" fall day, seventeen-year old Natasha Kingsley and her family are twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Tasha decides to take a long shot and visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to hopefully convince someone to let her stay, to not pay for her father's mistake.

“To be clear: I don’t believe in fate. But I’m desperate.”

She's desperate to stay with her friends, her home, her livelihood for the past ten years. Despite the fact that she does
Emma Giordano
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really really loved this book!!! It was an entirely unique story with a powerful message. Definitely a read I would recommend to e v e r y o n e .

Originally, I had issues getting into the book. The narration is 100% individual as not only do we have Natasha & Daniel's perspective, but we have mini chapters from a wide variety of characters. We have character's share stories from the past, side characters who are only in one scene, characters we will never hear from again, even very arbitr
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
*Received an advanced reader copy for review from the publisher*

I liked this one even more than "Everything, Everything." Nicola Yoon is just an amazing writer. Definitely a staple for your contemporary collection.
Video review to come!!
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 13, 2017 marked it as dnf-paused
Shelves: from-publisher
DNF AT 30% in. I'm sure it's just me, but I just couldn't connect with the characters. Everything was a bit too unrealistic (even for my taste); I just couldn't buy all this falling in love in less than 24 hours and it felt a bit cheesy. Maybe it's poor timing of reading this one or maybe it's just not for me.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This is a book about how the smallest gestures can form the biggest pictures, how the smallest actions can change the course of a life. How seeing a girl can change your life. How falling in love with your secretary can change the course of someone’s life forever. How swerving in a car can get two teens together. How calling a security officer can save her life.

It sort of tore my heart into a million pieces.

Fuck, okay. I don’t know how to explain how much I feel about this book.

Let's start her
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
My heart aches but I'm so happy at the same time. HOW DOES SHE DO THIS?

Here's my review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swubk...
Larry H
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm between 4.5 and 5 stars, but I'll round it up.

No, I'm not crying. You're crying.

Daniel has always tried to be a dutiful son to his parents, who emigrated from South Korea, but he's always played second fiddle to his older brother Charlie, who is more confident, smarter, and has had a visceral dislike for Daniel since they were younger.

But with Charlie's recent academic fall from grace, their parents are starting to put more pressure on Daniel to follow their wishes, which include getting in
Warda
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“We have big, beautiful brains. We invent things that fly. Fly. We write poetry. […] We are capable of big lives. A big history. Why settle? Why choose the practical thing, the mundane thing? We are born to dream and make the things we dream about.”

Reread and this book still speaks my language. It still makes my heart ache to the fullest and gives me hope like no other.
I remember reading this book around the same time last year and feeling that it came to me at a specific point in my life whe
Maureen
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is so beautiful I am crying??????? So many emotions?????

I really loved Natasha and Daniel. A lot. I loved that this story in any other context would be insta love and essentially was but because there was so much character development and how long it was it didn't feel like it. I loved being in New York City with them. I loved their whole day it was so great.

Also the epilogue was everything??? And I need a sequel novella like NOW.
Whitney Atkinson
4.5 Stars

Representation: Black (Jamaican), undocumented MC, Korean love interest

YES. I read this back-to-back with The Hate U Give and I'm just so here for black girls in YA right now. I devoured Natasha and Daniel's story. I can't say enough good things about it. Really, I only have one complaint, which I'll get to.

But first and foremost, this book is genius. It takes place in 3 perspectives: the 2 characters, and then the universe, which shows you the outside perspective of characters you meet
Wendy Darling
So adorable! I loved everything about it...except for one thing. (Just like with EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING, interestingly enough.)

Review to come.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

Warning: This reviews is just mostly gifs.

I probably should have done this before reviewing this book.
 photo 4a726fe1e155d3176877bbac77775031_zpseyfu9nwo.gif

This is more my style though..
 photo c13c07d5969c6c0e8c98a1d4dfea3027_zpschz3liqj.gif

So you now have been warned. Keep reading if you want. If you are a fangirl troll..please know this:
 photo 200_s_zps06nzhraj.gif

Because this book was just stupid. FOR ME! Half of GR loves it. More than half actually. Go and love their reviews.
The book is told in choppy little chapters, from multiple points of view. This really could have worked, it's worked for me before.
There was
Pouting Always
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's Natasha last day in New York and she is scrambling to figure out a way to stop her family from being deported back to Jamaica. So when she meets Daniel the timing is a little inconvenient. Daniel the son of South Korean immigrants has always been an obedient son yet second best to his older brother Charlie. When his older brother is home from Harvard on probation the pressure on Daniel is only intensified. Daniel heads out that day to go to his interview for Yale, pursuing his preordained f ...more
Maxwell
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, kindle, ya, botm
This could've so easily been another cliché, sappy teenage love story. But it was so much more than that. Nicola Yoon took the familiar elements from young adult contemporary novels—yes, even "insta-love"—and managed to create something original. I especially appreciated the chapters that broke the mold, that looked outside of the lives of our two main characters, Natasha and Daniel, and commented on the people they passed in the street or met during their whirlwind 12 hour romance. And I loved ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Yeah, I cried!

I was so happy to get this book because I loved Nicola Yoon's book, Everything, Everything! I loved this one too.

Natasha is being deported to Jamaica because of some stupidity on her fathers part. She came to America when she was eight and she's now going into her senior year and doesn't want to leave her friends and life.

Daniel is an American/Korean boy who just wants to live his own life but his parents have other ideas. Daniel and his brother Charlie are to be doctors and tha
Matthew
This was a nice little book with a sweet story. A great book for a simple escape. While the scenarios in it are highly improbable, if you can suspend your disbelief for a few hours, it is quite charming.

Lots of chapters. Lots of SHORT chapters. I LOVE SHORT CHAPTERS! I needed a book with short chapters since I am currently reading (or have recently read) some books with loooooooog chapters.

I enjoyed this as much as Everything Everything. Looks like I can continue to count on Yoon for a simple g
Adam Silvera
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads, favorites
A constellation-worthy love story. I can't wait for you all to read this one.
Heather 'Bookables'
HANDS DOWN MY FAVORITE CONTEMPORARY BOOK OF THE YEAR!
It was beautiful.
It was magical.
It was heartbreaking.
It dealt with immigration, strained family life, racism, it had diversity
It was a beautiful, beautiful book.
Please listen to this book, I LOVED the audio version to pieces!
Justin
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ahhhhh!!! Why, Nicola Yoon, why?! Why am I reading your books in he first place? Why am I looking past the ridiculously sappy teen romance that litters the pages of your books and feverishly turning the pages? Is it the insanely short chapters? The story? The different points of view? The random science lessons? Why?!

I was skeptical at first. The plot summary on the inside jacket of the book almost made me throw up, and I got really dizzy from all the eye rolling. This book also takes on a more
Hannah
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My spoiler free video review is now up on my channel!: https://youtu.be/XdtcQVXo1jA

Truly one of the best books I have ever read.
Lainey
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well hello favorite book I've read so far this year.

And also one of my favorite books of all time.
Hannah Greendale
Natasha and her family are undocumented immigrants; they're being deported from the US in twelve hours, so she's headed to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services building hoping to find a way to stay in America. Daniel is on the precipice of the prestigious future his parents have lined up for him whether he likes it or not, and he's on his way to a college admission interview with a Yale alum. When Natasha and Daniel meet for the first time in New York City, their paths align an ...more
Samuel Kingsley *Spoiler Alert* 1 7 Apr 08, 2018 10:30AM
  • The Names They Gave Us
  • This Adventure Ends
  • The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily
  • Kids of Appetite
  • The Edge of Everything (The Edge of Everything, #1)
  • History Is All You Left Me
  • Metaltown
  • By Your Side
  • This Is Our Story
  • Bad Romance
  • Untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
Nicola Yoon grew up in Jamaica (the island) and Brooklyn (part of Long Island). She currently resides in Los Angeles, CA with her husband and daughter, both of whom she loves beyond all reason. Everything, Everything is her first novel.
More about Nicola Yoon

Young Adult Deals

• Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
  • You Are Not Small
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
  • If I Ever Get Out of Here
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
  • Invisible Emmie
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Grit
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Tree
  • Wild Swans
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Outliers
    $4.99 $1.99
“There’s a Japanese phrase that I like: koi no yokan. It doesn’t mean love at first sight. It’s closer to love at second sight. It’s the feeling when you meet someone that you’re going to fall in love with them. Maybe you don’t love them right away, but it’s inevitable that you will.” 365 likes
“Maybe part of falling in love with someone else is also falling in love with yourself.” 246 likes