Start by marking “Cycle of the Werewolf” as Want to Read:
Cycle of the Werewolf

Cycle of the Werewolf

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  48,070 ratings  ·  1,947 reviews
The first scream came from the snowbound railwayman who felt the fangs ripping at his throat. The next month there was a scream of ecstatic agony from the woman attacked in her snug bedroom.

Now scenes of unbelieving horror come each time the full moon shines on the isolated Maine town of Tarker Mills. No one knows who will be attacked next. But one thing is sure.

When the
Published April 9th 1985 by Signet Books (first published November 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Cycle of the Werewolf, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kim Morrison Yup, it's called Silver Bullet - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090021/
Darthemed Yes, but in different ways. Uncle Al doesn't have the manic energy that Gary Busey brought to his performance, but the slimmer nature of the story imp…moreYes, but in different ways. Uncle Al doesn't have the manic energy that Gary Busey brought to his performance, but the slimmer nature of the story improves the pacing, and keeps the tension at a higher overall average.(less)

·  48,070 ratings  ·  1,947 reviews

Start your review of Cycle of the Werewolf
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have always loved Silver Bullet.

This book is super short but full of awesome! And the artwork is amazing. I will add a few images in no particular order!

Loved it!! And of course now I want to watch Silver Bullet!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺

Matthew
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthew by: Dichotomy Girl
4 stars – 5 in places

Cycle of the Werewolf is touted as a novel in many places. But this really isn’t even long enough to be considered a novella. It’s a short story; I paced myself but could probably have read this whole thing in under an hour. This observation is not a complaint, I just want to make sure anyone reading this based on my review know exactly what they will be seeing.

Also, every chapter includes artwork by Bernie Wrightson. These pictures are very cool and add a lot to the story,
Sr3yas
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cycle of Werewolf by Stephen King is NOT about a poor Werewolf searching for his stolen bicycle, without which he will not be able to stalk his victims during the full moon.

No, seriously it's not. Such a confusing title!

The cycle here refers to a year of the gruesome werewolf attacks from January to December 1983, in a small town called Tarker's Mill. All murders took place during the full moon and they were committed by a classic murderous Werewolf (I got to use the word "Classic" because
Julie
The Cycle of the Wolf by Stephen King is a 2019 Gallery 13 publication.

This book was originally published, as most everyone knows, way back in 1983, then release in paperback in 1985. Later, this short story was the basis for the movie ‘Silver Bullet’.

First off, let me say, I did enjoy revisiting this story after so many years. I think I appreciate the clever execution more now, than when I was much younger.

Each full moon werewolf attack tends to transpire around a holiday- although, King adm
Dan Schwent
Feb 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2016-books, 2016
Under the light of the full moon, a werewolf stalks the people of Tarker's Mills. Can anyone stop... The Cycle of the Werewolf?!?!?!?

I first read this in high school, younger than my dog is now. It took me a few chapters to realize that Silver Bullet was based on it. Anyway, I found it for a buck at a yard sale a couple years ago and decided I could use a reread.

Like Kemper told me while I was reading it, Cycle of the Werewolf is essentially a Stephen King calendar. Each chapter is a month out
Supratim
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, horror
Welcome to the small town of Tarker’s Mill in Maine. It’s a night in January and a snow blizzard “has choked the sky with snow” and “the wind rises to a shrill scream.” What happens in such an ambience! Terror attack! A bid bad werewolf brutalizes a defenseless man.

Stephen King’s “Cycle of the Werewolf” is a long story and not a full length novel.

Anyways, the werewolf would terrorize the small town for a whole year. Each chapter corresponds to a month.

The hero of the story, Marty Coslaw, is
Joe Valdez
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
After I abandoned two werewolf novels -- The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt and Bitten by Kelley Armstrong -- that were nothing but Kibble, I ran for cover with Cycle of the Werewolf, a lycanthrope tale that I knew would deliver, authored by Stephen King and illustrated by Bernie Wrightson, the artist who'd collaborated with King on the motion picture Creepshow.

Published in limited edition hardcover in 1983 and mass market paperback in 1985, the project was the brainstorm of Land of Enchantment
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I picked this novella up in college, and shortly thereafter the movie SILVER BULLET was made from the story. CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF is sort of an "under the radar" King book. Probably not the most talked about, but I think it's a hidden treasure. I love the author's monthly chronicling of the monster's evolution in the small town of Tarker's Mills, Maine. Part of what makes this a 5 star book for me were the superb illustrations, which are similar to those found in CREEPSHOW. This is a terrific t ...more
Trish
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love werewolves and I cannot lie. *lol*
No idea why werewolves, of all mystical creatures, are what I love so much. Maybe it's the animal aspect. But I've always loved tales about them so when I heard that the King of Horror had written a story about a werewolf, of course I had to read it.

We're in Tarker's Mills, Maine, in 1984. The book is divided into 12 chapters, each depicting the events (or one specific event) in the respective month of the year. So we start in January and come full circle
Brett C
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
I really enjoyed this story. As with other Stephen King short stories I've read, this one is really good. Like 'Children of the Corn' and 'Shawshank Redemption', it is entertaining, to-the-point, and very effective. The writing kept he hooked and I was finished before I knew it.

The story takes place over a year, with 12 intermittent episodes as the mysterious deaths occur with each full moon. The story is told in timeframes of months and a horrific murder/death happens each time. The towns peopl
Tom Lewis
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really quick, fun read. A small forest town in Maine (where else) sees a new brutal killing happen during the full moon. The main character is a crippled kid who has an eerie encounter with the creature midway through the book, and before long becomes its target. Don't let its shortness put you off; it's still Stephen King and it's a fun werewolf story.
Leo .
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book. It was also adapted into a film called Silver Bullet starring Gary Busey. I enjoyed both.🐯👍
Christy
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novella
Fun, fast, and frightening.

Great pictures that make the story come to life. Terrific tale of a town terrified once every month; and even though it's short it has characters that grab you and make you care, as you read of each full moon rising. It was first meant to be a calendar, one short story for each month (it would have been kind of neat, reminding you to be on the lookout that one night every month), so the words are sparse. Somewhere along the way that idea was abandoned for some reason
Ashley Daviau
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite its short length I honestly think this book has clawed its way into my top five King stories. I was sucked into the story right from the very first page and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough to find out what would happen and before I knew it, I was already finished it and completely head over heels in love! Something about this story just captured my interest instantly and cemented itself as a new favourite. It’s got great characters, suspense, horror, monsters and pretty much everyt ...more
Scott
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it

"It was only the wind, after all . . . But the wind doesn't scratch at doors . . . or whine to be let in."

By the end of 1983 author Stephen King had certainly reached a high point in his career. He had two books (Christine in the spring, and Pet Sematary in autumn) debut on the New York Times bestseller list and three successful movie adaptations (again, Christine, as well as Cujo and The Dead Zone) at the theaters. What else did this guy have time for that calendar year? I hope he went
Latasha
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, horror
Short and sweet. the colored illustrations are terrifying.
Rebecca McNutt
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this one to be a cut above many of Stephen King's other novels, and the way the werewolf is described? So vivid! :D
Mario
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Well that was fast.

The story itself is enjoyable to read, but it isn't anything special. What made this book special, and why I gave 5 stars in the end, were illustrations. They were really well done and they fit to the tone of the story so well.

If you're a fan of Kings work, and haven't yet read this, I suggest giving it a go. Just don't have high expectations going into it, because you might end up disappointed.
Rose
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Now that's what I call a werewolf. Forget teenage boys with chiseled abs of steel, THIS is what real werewolves are like in actual good stories. At 128 pages this book takes less than 20 minutes to read but it is better than 300 page novels full of fluff. Every entry is in the form of a month & tells of an attack by a werewolf in the small town of Tarker Mills, Maine where everyone is not only a potential victim but also a potential suspect as the massive killer beast runs rampant at every full ...more
Kerri
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this in one sitting and absolutely loved it. The illustrations and story mixed perfectly for me and I let myself get completely absorbed in this book for the 1-2 hours it took me to read. It's a quick read, you could probably get through it in much less time, but I savored every page and took my time looking at each piece of artwork.

It was a really unique and enjoyable reading experience, and I already know I'll be rereading it in the future!
☕🎆🐷🎃🎄🌕
Edward Lorn
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let's get a few things out of the way: First, this is a classic. Second, there's only one version of this book that counts, and that's Plume's 1983 trade paperback. Thirdly, the film adaptation, "Silver Bullet" (written for the screen by Stephen King), is a deeper overall experience: better character development, cooler kills, the inclusion of that most-epic motorcycle/wheelchair every 80's kid wanted whether they were handicapped or not, and mo' frakkin' Corey Haim partnering up with crazy-as-b ...more
Gianfranco Mancini

Ok, maybe this classic (but for the monster origin..), straight werewolf tale was too short for a novella an too long for an anthology short tale, I already knew the story and the creature identity having seen lots of times the "Silver bullet" movie based on this one ... but King is still THE KING for me and I loved how he fleshed for good characters and story in just few words here.

And Bernie Wrightson's illustrations are just creepy moody masterworks... the one of the beast ripping off the con
Jamie Stewart
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jason
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finally managed to get my hands on a rare copy of this book for my King collection. Such a cool little story and a must-have if you're a King nerd like myself. Aided with nice illustrations, it's a fast story (read in about an hour), and I'm curious now to watch the film adaptation (Silver Bullet) to see how they turned such a short story into a film.
Ron
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
As far as I can tell, Cycle of the Werewolf was Stephen King’s first venture into an illustrated novel, a marriage of a story and graphics. It’s cool that he tries different things, new mediums to express his thoughts for the Constant Reader. Why not? It makes sense. That said I am not the best judge of this method. I have a preference for reading the words and letting my brain do the visualizing.

My rating skews to low side compared with many. I may never have bothered reading this Werewolf tale
Maria Hill AKA MH Books
"Her store is failing by inches, and she weighs too much, but now, on this night of dreams with the moon a bitter blue flood through frost-traced windows, it seems to her that love is still a possibility, love and the scent of summer as he> comes."

I offhandedly said on a Booktube video last week that I did not think this book was up to much; I had only read one Chapter. I guess considering my rating of this book I was wrong:)

This is either a long short story or short novella that has been illus
Kirstin
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this short, illustrated story but it was great!
Hirdesh
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS.
Brilliant story and exquisite writing skills by Eminent Author.
I was completely immersed in the story and It was like so much alive my goodness.
I felt that frightened beam of moonlight as were depicted in story.
Lovely.
Andrew
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This is a short novel written by Stephen King, on request of a young Michigan author, during a conference of fantastic literature in Providence.

The request was to conceive a story based on a span of twelve months, the length of a large caption. As King himself admits, it wasn’t easy to do it and the work was interrupted several times, changing the original idea to what it is today.

Each month brings with it the description of a brutal murder by the wolf, always exposed with great skill and in dif
Johann (jobis89)
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
"There is nothing of God or Light in that heartless sound - it is all black winter and dark ice."

This story follows the cycle of a werewolf...funnily enough! And it is made up of little stories each month describing the events that occurred on the night of a full moon in the isolated Maine town of Tarker Mills. There is disbelief in the town that these murders could be the work of a werewolf, particularly since the snarls and howls almost sound human-like...

What a fun, quick read! A definite hig
Help with name 1 2 Sep 09, 2020 12:20PM
I really need help finding this book! It's driving me mad 2 16 May 27, 2020 11:51AM
Stephen King Fans: Cycle of the Werewolf Book 18 12 61 Jul 19, 2019 01:29PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King - Starting June 15th, 2019 3 13 Jun 29, 2019 02:32PM
Goodreads Librari...: Changes in a book 4 21 Nov 04, 2018 05:49AM
Stephen King Fans: Cycle of the Werewolf 42 245 Nov 30, 2017 09:19AM
Play Book Tag: Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King 3 stars 1 9 Oct 14, 2017 10:22AM

• Roadwork
  • Rage
  • The Running Man
  • Thinner
  • El Origen: ZU
  • The Long Walk
  • Blaze
  • The Body
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • The Regulators