EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

The Raven
This topic is about The Raven
CLASSICS READS > The Raven - pre-read

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaseadillla | 1352 comments Mod
Hello all - starting up discussions for the OCTOBER 2017 BOTMs. This discussion is for the group's poll selection for the BUDDY READS category: The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe.

This discussion will be SPOILER-FREE. If you have already finished the book and want to discuss, hop on over to the spoiler-filled discussion HERE .

Happy reading!
Kasey

message 2: by Cheryl is busier irl atm. (last edited Oct 01, 2017 10:36AM) (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 986 comments I tried to read this before, but it never meant anything to me besides the famous quote. This time I've ordered a special illustrated version from my library... between the illustrations and the discussion with you friends, I hope to appreciate it more.

The Raven

Sarah | 731 comments I read an illustrated version as well, which made me LOVE it! If I had just read the words without the visuals I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.

message 4: by Marcos (new) - added it

Marcos Kopschitz | 1768 comments I like Poe very much, and this is one I've read several times. I'll try it once more!

message 5: by Marcos (new) - added it

Marcos Kopschitz | 1768 comments Sarah wrote: "I read an illustrated version as well, which made me LOVE it! "

Let us know which was your illustrated version, Sarah!

Sarah | 731 comments It was published by Kids Can Press. The illustrations are very eerie!

Kerri | 701 comments It has been such a long time since I have read this story; it will be interesting to revisit it and see what new things I learn from the discussions here.

message 8: by Marcos (new) - added it

Marcos Kopschitz | 1768 comments Seems to be the same as in Cheryl's link above!

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 90 comments I'm teaching this to my 7th graders this year. A good challenge and a great poem! Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

message 10: by Neon's (new)

Neon's | 29 comments I read it as part of complete poems of Poe's and consider it among one of the ones that I liked the most from the collection. I'm interested in both dark and light stuff and this poem alongside other works of Poe stay well in the dark side!

message 11: by Marcos (last edited Oct 05, 2017 10:28AM) (new) - added it

Marcos Kopschitz | 1768 comments My book is also a complete works.

By the way, I still don't know exactly how to show it here in GR. I haven't thought of anything else than marking the whole book as "read".

Any better ideas?

you can mark just the one work as read if you search for "the raven" or follow the link above.

message 13: by Marcos (last edited Oct 05, 2017 01:33PM) (new) - added it

Marcos Kopschitz | 1768 comments Kasey, I think you mean the link to the edition on the top of this page - or any specific edition of "The Raven".

But that would mean that I had read that specific edition, which I won't have.

I'd say that would be a little more imprecise than, or at least as imprecise as, marking as read the very book I have.

Ideally there should be a way to say "I read The Raven only from such-and-such edition of Poe's complete works", but as far as I know there is no such feature in GR.

However, if I mark read my book, not any edition of "The Raven", I'm afraid the GR challenge system may not recognize that I have read a book with the group.

I'll choose a way, eventually. :-)

Marcos wrote: "Kasey, I think you mean the link to the edition on the top of this page - or any specific edition of "The Raven".
But that would mean that I had read that specific edition, which I won't have.
I'..."

Makes sense. I honestly don't really pay attention to the edition... that's probably my bad. I definitely just found a copy of "The Raven" online for free and read it.
On another note, there's a bookclub dedicated to feedback for Goodreads - I think I've seen threads about partially completed books before...
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 15: by Marcos (last edited Oct 05, 2017 04:44PM) (new) - added it

Marcos Kopschitz | 1768 comments Well, you know, many of us in GR use it primarily for organizing our libraires. These folks (me included :-) like to record exactly what they read and when. I've been in many discussions where users demanded more precise features from GR.

For instance, until recently, it was not possible to record the rereading of a book, that was the most demanded feature by GR users. One had to mark several different editions for each reread, and some hated that. Now it is already possible.

No big issue, a reader's life is good anyway! :-)

But now you know why I raised that question.

Kerri | 701 comments In case anyone is interested, you can listen to this poem read by multiple people including (but not limited to): James Earl Jones, Vincent Price, Christopher Walken, John Astin, Christopher Lee.

It is also portrayed (with some artistic liberties) by the Simpsons, as found here: https://youtu.be/bLiXjaPqSyY

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 986 comments I think I'll do an audio, as apparently my library is not going to fill my request for the illustrated edition.

Sarah | 345 comments I wasn't sure I was going to do this one, but its so short I have decided to squeeze it in!

Martina Bučková | 146 comments I am not a fan of the poems, but I think I will try this one. Still some days to go in October :) let's see if I change my mind about poems.

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Raven (other topics)
The Raven (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Edgar Allan Poe (other topics)