Start by marking “The Raven” as Want to Read:
The Raven

The Raven

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  88,245 ratings  ·  1,917 reviews
Visions in Poetry is an exciting and unique series of classic poems illustrated by outstanding contemporary artists in stunning hardcover editions.

The fifth book in the series, Edgar Allan Poe's ?The Raven,? delves into the hidden horrors of the human psyche. Originally published in 1845, the poem is narrated by a melancholy scholar brooding over Lenore, a woma
Published August 1st 2006 by Kids Can Press (first published 1827)

·  88,245 ratings  ·  1,917 reviews

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Shall we descend into madness? Shall we be haunted by our own desires? Shall we be consumed by that terrible facet of life known only as death? Shall we cling to what cannot be reanimated? Shall we wish for a return of something that has long been in darkness?

Shall we become obliterated by the brutal finality of such a statement as “nevermore?”

Lenore has gone. She has departed from this life, and is permanently out of the reach of the man. The raven represents the solidarity of this. Despite how much
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
"The Raven" is a narrative poem by American writer Edgar Allan Poe. First published in January 1845, the poem is often noted for its musicality, stylized language, and supernatural atmosphere. It tells of a talking raven's mysterious visit to a distraught lover, tracing the man's slow fall into madness. The lover, often identified as being a student, is lamenting the loss of his love, Lenore. Sitting on a bust of Pallas, the raven seems to further instigate his di
Annet
Nevermore! ...........
Read this poem, listen to this poem and study the drawings of Gustave Dore... and know this is a unique masterpiece. Hauntingly beautiful. Brooding, dark, desperate, mysterious... These starting lines are famous I think:
Once upon a midnight dreary,
while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume
of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping,
suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, ...more
Florencia
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted—nevermore!

description

Themes such as loss and relentless melancholy - nothing foreign to Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) - combined with a repetitive rhythm that gives it a unique and gradually oppressive musicality resulted in one of the best literary works of all time, The Raven.

This edition, first published in 1844, includes the steel-plate engravings by renowned French artist Gustave Doré (1832–1883), who died shortly after completing the series.

This is the secon
Michael
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy Halloween, EAP! This is probably the best poem in history ever to have sold for $9. But what is it about? That's a more difficult question. The poem has undeniable power, but its power (as in much of Poe) is not entirely susceptible of rational explication.

First, there's the sheer liturgical music of the poem, as evidenced from the very opening lines:

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-- ...more
James
First... you must read the introductory stanza from Edgar Allan Poe's famous poem, The Raven. And then I'll provide a short review:

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.”

And this is what will happen to you once you read it:

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.”

And this is what will happen to you once you read it:

Yeah, I probably should have told you that part first, huh? But that's the thing about Mr. Poe. He enjoyed the fact that his writing drove him crazy. And all of us. That tapping... non-stop... reminds you of his other work, The Tell-Tale Heart.

This raven and its real or imaginary appearance is such a powerful image. And here's the thing about this poem... you need to have a professional read this poem aloud, perhaps with a little music in the background. Just a little bit, as the words in the poem... the rhymes, the images... it's ghastly. And if the speaker is as brilliant as Poe, (s)he will alter their voice as each line erupts, enticing the rhythm and the beat. And when it happens, the fear will surround you. The words will penetrate you as your eyes ears lay still, absorbing the melody and the lyrics.

It may sound funny, but find a recording of it. Listen to it in a semi-dark room. And just let the poem attack your mind and body. I believe it's what inspired the boat ride in the Willy Wonka movie... only much darker. You will love it!

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews... here's the scoop: I read A LOT. I write A LOT. And now I blog A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you'll also find TV & Film reviews, the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge and lots of blogging about places I've visited all over the world. And you can find all my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by.
[polldaddy poll=9729544]
[polldaddy poll=9719251]
Navessa
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Am I the only one creeped out by ravens? Every time I hear mention of them I shudder. I mean, come on. Have you ever heard one croak? Second question; have you ever heard a tree full of them croak? I have.

There I was, minding my own business, just trying to walk home from the bus stop. I didn’t even see them until I was directly beneath the tree. I heard this strange rustling sound and thought it was weird because the leaves had already fallen. Naturally, I paused to look up. What was I met with?

Ok
Over many a quaint and curious volume
of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping,
suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping,
rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered,
"tapping at my chamber door --
Only this, and nothing more."

I had started reading the Raven before but was never able to quite get through it. When I came across this illustrated version at my library I decided to give it another shot. The illustrat
Alejandro
Nevermore!

RAISE RAVENS...

First of all, two things...

...one, I classified this poem as a "short story" since I haven't read so much poetry as to justify a tag for that in my personal list to describe books...

...two, I rated 4 stars, since kinda the same reason, due I haven't developed a knack for poetry, but since I was curious about this poem by Edgar Allan Poe, still I read it, and certainly I liked it quite a bit, but it's some hard to enjoy for me poetry. Nobody's fault.

T
Samra Yusuf
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
You know the place between sleep and wake, the place where you can still remember dreaming, it’s a worst place to be in when you no longer can sleep nor can dream.we,the humans are a doomed species who ever breathed on planet earth, the moments we cherish turns into memories, the things we desire become wishes, the people we love turns into strangers, and the present we live becomes past…
We all live our dear life with a feel of loss, we all devise altered approaches to seek peace, we all a
Lisa
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Look who’s tweeting now!

Fear for fear’s sake - Delusions empowered!

Heard it on The Scarecrow News last night. A tale of ominous foreboding. Tapping, rapping, something happening in the world, filling the soul with fear and worry. What happened last night in the barren field? The Scarecrow shouts it out:

“Who would believe it? The ravens? We let many in, and it has caused problems we wouldn’t have t
Jaya
So what do you do when you can’t sleep even the clock tell you its 2’o clock of the night? You creep yourself out by reading creepy poems where a Raven talks back to you, saying ...Nevermore...
Still can’t sleep? Listen to this rendition. (It mostly scares the daylights out of me)
Here are two of my most favorite passages, which I could once, long time back, in another lifetime, recite by rote
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals
... ...more
Calista
I love this book. If I were going to buy a pop-up, this would be the first one, or Alice in Wonderland. Hard call there. This book is a work of gothic art! Amazing. Seriously, it is so beautiful.

Goodreads has grouped this with the regular poem, it appears, but this book is specifically a pop-up book engineered by Christopher Wormell. The isbn is: 9781419721977. It should be listed separately from the poem as this is something different.

I stopped by the children’s reading room at the Library of
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, poetry
Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping something louder than
before

WoW! What a poem it is!!

I am not into poems that much but this poem is exceptionally awesome. I couldn't stop reading this. I have read this poem at least 3 times by now. It's just that amazing. Once you started, you couldn't be able to stop until the end.
I have fallen in love with this poem of E. A. Poe. Madly!! I have even downloaded its audio vers
Ivan
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not big fan of poetry but I really loved this one. Maybe it's because I listened to version read by Christopher Lee (you can find it on youtube), and it's universal rule that everything is better when heard in voice of Christopher Lee, but this is my favorite work of Poe so far.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Wonderful art captures the impending doom that permeates this poem - listen to Christopher Lee recite this poem on YouTube as you turn the pages...SENDS SHIVERS DOWN MY SPINE!
Peter Meredith
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I write this review as someone who dislikes poetry, or maybe I should say, before I'm attacked by the poetry police, that I have disliked every poem forced down my throat by well meaning sadistic teachers. (Someone please explain the antithetical concept of a well meaning sadist. I'm afraid I might have made that up and it makes no sense.)
The Raven I enjoyed. Perhaps because of its length. For me, a poem can't be too long. The longer the poem, the higher my risk of death(probably through s
Luís C.
The most well-known poem of the author. Its publication in 1845 would offer him, after some time, considerable fame. The Crow is enjoyed almost as much for its rhythmical beauty as for the interest resulting from the publication of the philosophy of the composition; text in which Poe explains and gives detail to the moments prior to, and, which culminate in the poem. For the moment, as for either the discord or acceptance of the author's affirmations, it is clear that it is more beneficial to en ...more
Charles  van Buren
Charles van Buren
TOP 1000 REVIEWER

1.0 out of 5 stars
No illustrations in this illustrated edition

July 11, 2019
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase

Review of free Kindle edition
A Public Domain Book
Publication date: May 17, 2012
Language: English
ASIN: B0084B68X0

This edition is supposed to be illustrated by Gustave Dore' but as I have come to expect from free Kindle editions the illustrations are missing. The
Nick Pageant
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this yesterday for probably the 150th time and want to say thanks to dear old Edgar.
I teach therapeutic writing to some quite reluctant students. They literally groan when they see me coming. Each class I struggle to find material that they will relate to in some small way. I chose this standard out of equal parts desperation and resignation... and it worked. Eyes lit up! Comments were made! Unity of effect in good poetry was discussed! Thank you, Edgar Allan Poe, you saved my butt.

As t
leynes
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only advice for reading Poe's The Raven is that you try to read it out loud as if you were performing it in front of a crowd, only then you can grab the true mastery of what this poem does on a phonetic side as well! This poem gave me chills; I will treasure it from here on out for the rest of my life.
As of somlife.
Once
Carol
Death and Sorrow

A tragic and creepy poem about a RAVEN who hauntingly appears as a (spirit?) 'rapping' on a man's door who is distraught over the loss of his love Lenore. (or did the man murder Lenore and the Raven came to collect his soul?)

The last verse: "And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor-------Shall be lifted Nevermore".

Lori
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't count how many times I've read this. It's brilliant. No, that doesn't do it justice. It's...
And The Simpsons very first episode did a good job with it too.
Markus
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before."

One of the most hauntingly beautiful, and influential, poems of our time, The Raven was the first work I read by Edgar Allan Poe, the first time many, many years ago.

It’s stayed with me since then, most solidly in the form of the audio narration by the late Christopher Lee (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Befli...). If you haven't listened to this piece of art, I'd rec
Tammy
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m obsessed with this poem sobbing every time I read or listen to it. His dark despair makes my stomach churn.

Beginning of poem:

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.
Sh3lly

I think my Classics Stupid™ mind kicked in with this one, because... it was ... okay?

But Nevermore is a bad-ass name for a raven.

I found out Poe married his first cousin and she was 13 and he was 27. That's creepy. However, no one can seem to agree whether they even consummated the marriage. It is clear they loved each other, but whether it was a sexually romantic love is unclear?
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
I've read this so many times I've lost count, but I still adore it. The imagery, the creepiness, the frenetic cadence it takes on when read aloud... Pure awesomeness. I try to read it every Halloween.
Abubakar Mehdi
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just one suggestion, if someone wants to read this poem he/she should read it in a cold winter night when fog is pressing against the window and dew drops are wetting the window panes. In utter silence, read it aloud,or in whispers perhaps. And you will know why Poe was a genius.
Sara
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Raven is a poem that can be appreciated on several levels, not the least of which is construction. One of the most perfectly constructed alliterative poems ever penned, who has not thrilled to "and the silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each purple curtain"? It trips off the tongue and at the same time it calls up a perfect image of a Gothic library with heavy curtains that should not, but do, rustle.

It is a study in loneliness, mourning, stress and madness. As the narrator tells
Gothic Fiction Re...: The Raven 7 21 Oct 10, 2018 12:27AM
Club "Lectura a t...: "El Cuervo" Edgar Allan Poe 2 3 Sep 05, 2018 11:25AM
pay to someone write my essay uk 1 8 Jun 06, 2018 12:12AM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Raven - *SPOILERS* 28 164 Nov 26, 2017 02:45PM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Raven - pre-read 19 165 Oct 24, 2017 03:03AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Second Coming
  • The Devil and Tom Walker
  • The Highwayman
  • Ozymandias
  • Oh Captain! My Captain!
  • The Tyger
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as The Tell-Tale Heart, The Raven, and The Fall of the House of Usher. This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundreds of essays and ...more
“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door —
Only this, and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; — vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow — sorrow for the lost Lenore —
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore —
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me — filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating,
Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door —
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; —
This it is, and nothing more."

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
Sir," said I, "or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, "Lenore?"
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, "Lenore!" —
Merely this, and nothing more.

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
Surely," said I, "surely that is something at my window lattice:
Let me see, then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore —
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; —
'Tis the wind and nothing more."

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore;
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door —
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door —
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore.
Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou," I said, "art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore —
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."

Much I marveled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning— little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blest with seeing bird above his chamber door —
Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as "Nevermore.”
2861 likes
“Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.” 911 likes