Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Elyse's Readathoning! est. 2017

Comments Showing 251-295 of 295 (295 new)    post a comment »
1 2 3 4 6 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 251: by Kate (new)

Kate | 131 comments Can't wait to hear what you think of the X-files, its on my TBR list thanks to you!

message 252: by Susy (new)

Susy | 281 comments Elyse wrote: "Check-In #1 - Hours 1-4 (8am-12pm):
Check In Time: 12:02pm
Breaks: 0
Food/Drink: 2 coffees, water, cereal, handful of milk chocolate covered cappuccino beans (dang these are good! Gotta pace mysel..."

Nice going Elyse!
Glad your headache is over!!

message 253: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Kate wrote: "Can't wait to hear what you think of the X-files, its on my TBR list thanks to you!"

I finished it and enjoyed it! Full cast audio was amazing. I just would've liked to just have one story instead of a bunch of short stories. Especially because I'm multi-tasking and all of a sudden that story is over. lol!

message 254: by Elyse (last edited Apr 06, 2019 11:19AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Ann A wrote: "Thank goodness your headache is gone! That's an awful way to start RAT day :( Hope you're blazing through the pages now."

Yes, I'm glad it went away quickly! This time block I've been blazing through the audio! But I'm about to sit down with an e-book.

message 255: by Elyse (last edited Apr 06, 2019 05:11PM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Check-In #2 - Hours 5-8 (12pm-4pm):
Check In Time: 3:51pm
Food/Drink: water, Dr. Pepper, guacamole & tortilla chips, handful of milk chocolate covered cappuccino beans
Pages Read Total: 65
Time Listened Total: (1:19 X-Files, 0:37 Lullaby, 1:16 Strong Ending) 3 hours 12 minutes
Books Progressed In: 1
Wye by Jack Croxall
Books Finished: 3
The X-Files Cold Cases (X-Files, #1) by Joe Harris Lullaby by Jonathan Maberry Strong Ending A Journey from Combat to Comedy by Audible Originals
Comments:
Made guacamole, ate said guacamole. Yumm!! Not much to be said. Took the dogs for a short walk. Had a good run of audiobooks. Really loved Strong Ending. I'd like to take this next block to only read, no audio. Here I go!

message 256: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Hauser (abbeyhauser) | 109 comments Nice work!!

message 257: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Abbey wrote: "Nice work!!"

Thank you!

message 258: by Karen (new)

Karen | 10 comments Wow, I'm impressed. Look forward to seeing what else you accomplish.

message 259: by Elyse (last edited Apr 06, 2019 05:11PM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Check-In #3 - Hours 9-12 (4pm-8pm):
Check In Time: 8:04pm
Food/Drink: Lipton Green Tea Orange Passionfruit Jasmine, Pepsi and leftover chicken shawarma, handful of milk chocolate covered cappuccino beans
Pages Read Total: (105 Wye, 28 X, 60 Girl Who) 193
Time Listened Total: 0
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2) by Catherynne M. Valente
Books Finished: 2
Wye by Jack Croxall X by Jack Croxall
Comments:
Halfway mark. This is where I start to lose it. It's full dark now. The night is where I struggled the most! I'm thinking of making myself less comfortable? Don't go pee as much, don't get back into my PJs? Eh, that's just silly, why do that to myself?! That's not fun! lol. Supper was delicious! Still plan on snacking on hummus and veggies later. And keep snacking on my cappuccino beans! This next time block I want to finish The Girl Who... and get started on some graphic novels! Maybe half an audiobook.

message 260: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Karen wrote: "Wow, I'm impressed. Look forward to seeing what else you accomplish."

Thank you, Karen!

message 261: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Mid-Event Survey
1. What are you reading right now? The Queen: Aretha Franklin
2. How many books have you read so far? I've read 5 and in the middle of 2
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Still want to read The Complete Persepolis!
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Checking up on Goodreads NOT during my check-ins. lol. But still turning on the audiobook when I do it!
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How tired I am. I've been awake since 6:45am and it's 8:15pm. Ack.

message 262: by Emma (new)

Emma | 66 comments Elyse wrote: "Check-In #3 - Hours 9-12 (4pm-8pm):
Check In Time: 8:04pm
Food/Drink: Lipton Green Tea Orange Passionfruit Jasmine, Pepsi and leftover chicken shawarma, handful of milk chocolate covered..."

Well done! I'm kind of glad that the second half of the readathon is done in daytime here in Australia. Hopefully it's easier to not sleep as much

message 263: by Elyse (last edited Apr 06, 2019 05:30PM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Emma wrote: "Well done! I'm kind of glad that the second half of the readathon is done in daytime here in Australia. Hopefully it's easier to not sleep as much..."

For the reverse readathon I thought it would be easier to START at night but I had gotten up at 5am that day for work so it still sucked. lol. If there's another reverse readathon, I will take the day off so I can be fresh for my 8pm start time. ;)

message 264: by Jana (new)

Jana Eichhorn | 135 comments Looks like you're kicking butt, Elyse! Hope you're having fun!

message 265: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 365 comments How is the Aretha Franklin book? Hope you can get a second wind for the late evening (and maybe beyond?)!

message 266: by Elyse (last edited Apr 06, 2019 09:09PM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Check-In #4 - Hours 13-16 (8pm-12am):
Check In Time: 12:06am
Food/Drink: Hummus & veggies
Pages Read Total: 106
Time Listened Total: 2 hours 45 minutes
The Queen Aretha Franklin by Mikal Gilmore
Books Finished: 1
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2) by Catherynne M. Valente
Comments:
I did a couple of mini challenges and hourly discussions. I'm not having fun anymore. I'm cooked, fading fast. I will probably finish the last hour of The Queen and then get some sleep. See you on the other side!

message 267: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Jana wrote: "Looks like you're kicking butt, Elyse! Hope you're having fun!"

Not anymore! lol. Getting some sleep!

message 268: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Ann A wrote: "How is the Aretha Franklin book? Hope you can get a second wind for the late evening (and maybe beyond?)!"

It's alright. Definitely not very stimulating. Not a good night choice. lol. No second wind. Getting some sleep!

message 269: by Kate (new)

Kate | 131 comments Well done Elyse I admire your stamina! Look forward to seeing you later for the last push. :)

message 270: by Cynda Cat (new)

Cynda Cat (CyndaCat) | 92 comments Maybe see you later Elyse. Take Care.

message 271: by Elyse (last edited Apr 07, 2019 05:54AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Check-In #5/6 - Hours 17-24 (12am-8am):
Check In Time: 8:26am
Breaks: 3 hours 20 minutes of sweet, sweet sleep
Food/Drink: Snickers bar for breakfast? Hells yes. Anything goes on Dewey's. I had water too!
Pages Read Total: (112 Adulthood, 128 Cats vs Humans, 210 Princess, 31 Identity, 128 Rat Queens, 112 Steel, 75 Persepolis) 796
Time Listened Total: (1:03 Queen, 1:36 Diary) 2 hours 39 minutes
The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Books Finished: 8
The Queen Aretha Franklin by Mikal Gilmore Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1) by Sarah Andersen Cat vs Human Fairy Tails by Yasmine Surovec The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1) by Amanda Lovelace The Diary of a Hounslow Girl by Ambreen Razia Identity Thief (This Can't Be Happening collection) by Rachel Rosenthal Rat Queens, Vol. 1 Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1) by Kurtis J. Wiebe Shades of Magic Vol. 1 The Steel Prince by V.E. Schwab
Comments:
I actually felt better once I got up from my library and checked in at midnight and ended up staying up till 2:40am, plowing through books! Woke up at 6am to finish out the 'thon an decided to dedicate those last 2 hours to solely reading. Combined my last 2 check-ins. I have so many threads to update now for various challenges. But I'm going to take a nap and then do said updates while watching TV. Ending Survey and final tallies to come!

message 272: by Susan (new)

Susan | 134 comments Wow! Great reading! (snacks, too :). I’m with you — anything goes for Dewey’s

message 273: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments BINGO - BLACKOUT

Row 1
Participate in hourly discussions Goodreads: ✔
Listen to an audiobook: The X-Files: Cold Cases
Wear something bookish related: Quidditch slippers I got for Christmas and have worn everyday since!
Reread a book: X (read X last year, just read Wye, needed to re-read X!)
Read a book with illustrations: Adulthood Is a Myth

Row 2
Read for an hour straight: 10am-11am
Take a break and do some stretches: Took the dogs for a short walk while listening to an audiobook
Read a book with 3 words or less in the title: Wye
Participate in a mini challenge: ✔
Read 200 pages: The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There

Row 3
Read a genre outside of your comfort zone: (poetry is not in my normal genre rolodex) The Princess Saves Herself in This One
Read a book with more than 300 pages: The Complete Persepolis
FREE SPACE
Eat a healthy snack: Red pepper hummus & cukes, celery, carrots
Read a book with a person on the cover: The Queen Aretha Franklin by Mikal Gilmore

Row 4
Read in your PJs: 8am-12pm!
Read a book with your Harry Potter house colors on the covers: Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince (close enough!)
Finish a book: Identity Thief
Read for a total of 5 hours: ✔
Cheer on other readers for 20 minutes: ✔

Row 5
Read a book with diversity: Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery
Post a book review (on GR, blog, etc): Strong Ending
Post a picture on Twitter/Instagram @Readathon: Dewey's 24-Hour Readation - April 2019 Edition (Pinterest)
Read a new to you book: Cat vs Human Fairy Tails (my eye grabbed it on Hoopla just a few days ago. I'd never heard of it!)
Read in 2 separate locations: Library chair and living room chair

message 274: by Susy (new)

Susy | 281 comments Looks like you had a great readathon Elyse!

message 275: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 365 comments I nominate you for the "Best Readathon Cheerleader" award (pretty sure I've said that before)! Thanks!

message 276: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Ann A wrote: "I nominate you for the "Best Readathon Cheerleader" award (pretty sure I've said that before)! Thanks!"

Aww thanks Ann! I love this bookish community!

message 277: by Elyse (last edited Apr 08, 2019 11:29AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments End Totals Wrap-Up
Total time reading: 20 hours 41 minutes my best time!
Pages read: 1,250 my best page count! (not including audio + estimated 450 pgs)
Hours listened: 11 hours 35 minutes
Breaks/sleep: 3 hours 20 minutes of sleep
Books read: 9
Wye by Jack Croxall X by Jack Croxall The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2) by Catherynne M. Valente Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1) by Sarah Andersen Cat vs Human Fairy Tails by Yasmine Surovec The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1) by Amanda Lovelace Identity Thief (This Can't Be Happening collection) by Rachel Rosenthal Rat Queens, Vol. 1 Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1) by Kurtis J. Wiebe Shades of Magic Vol. 1 The Steel Prince by V.E. Schwab
Books listened: 5
The X-Files Cold Cases (X-Files, #1) by Joe Harris Strong Ending A Journey from Combat to Comedy by Audible Originals Lullaby by Jonathan Maberry The Queen Aretha Franklin by Mikal Gilmore The Diary of a Hounslow Girl by Ambreen Razia
Partial: 1
The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (76 pages read)
Comments:
The audiobooks I read are only audio so I can't convert into pages read (estimated 450 pgs). Ah well. I didn't think I listened that much but they were short and turns out they added up! My best time and best pages read! Woot! I don't see myself beating this one. I can't get less than 3 hours of sleep. lol.

Closing Survey!
What hour was most daunting? Always the wee wee hours but I stayed up later than I ever have for Dewey's!
Tell us ALLLLL the books you read!
Wye by Jack Croxall X by Jack Croxall The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2) by Catherynne M. Valente Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1) by Sarah Andersen Cat vs Human Fairy Tails by Yasmine Surovec The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1) by Amanda Lovelace Identity Thief (This Can't Be Happening collection) by Rachel Rosenthal Rat Queens, Vol. 1 Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1) by Kurtis J. Wiebe Shades of Magic Vol. 1 The Steel Prince by V.E. Schwab The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
The X-Files Cold Cases (X-Files, #1) by Joe Harris Strong Ending A Journey from Combat to Comedy by Audible Originals Lullaby by Jonathan Maberry The Queen Aretha Franklin by Mikal Gilmore The Diary of a Hounslow Girl by Ambreen Razia
What was your favorite snack? Milk chocolate covered cappuccino beans! First time I've had them and they're way too good. lol
What was your favorite facet of the day? As much as I "complain" about spending too much time on Goodreads, it's so much fun to be a part of this day and community and feel so connected!
Wanna volunteer for our next event? I might do an hourly discussion again.

message 278: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 178 comments Looks great Elyse!

message 279: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Susan wrote: "Wow! Great reading! (snacks, too :). I’m with you — anything goes for Dewey’s"

Thanks Susan!

message 280: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Susy wrote: "Looks like you had a great readathon Elyse!"

Thanks, Susy, I did! I find it so crazy how I flew through books after midnight. lol.

message 281: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "Looks great Elyse!"

Thanks Vicki!

message 282: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments It's a nicer day out than yesterday was and I feel SO GOOD sitting on my couch watching TV!! lol. The door to the deck is open and it smells so nice. *Might* wrangle up enough energy to take the dogs for a walk later.

message 283: by Susy (new)

Susy | 281 comments I’ve been sitting in our garden (well, the garden of the little house we rented) 💖

message 284: by Kate (new)

Kate | 131 comments That's some amazing final figures Elyse! Congrats on breaking your records! See you next time.

message 285: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Susy wrote: "I’ve been sitting in our garden (well, the garden of the little house we rented) 💖"

Wonderful!

message 286: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Kate wrote: "That's some amazing final figures Elyse! Congrats on breaking your records! See you next time."

Thank you!

message 287: by Susan (new)

Susan | 200 comments Way to go Elyse!!

message 288: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Susan wrote: "Way to go Elyse!!"

Thank you, Susan!

message 289: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 42 comments impressive!!

message 290: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments Dana wrote: "impressive!!"

Thank you, Dana!

message 291: by Elyse (last edited Jun 11, 2019 07:50AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments http://www.24hourreadathon.com/summer...

Woot woot y'all back for round 2 of Reverse Readathon! I'm glad it's in August instead of July and I'm already taking the Friday off from work so I can sleep in and be ready for my 8pm start time. Last year I was up at 5am and I think I barely made it to 11pm. lol. My mom and I were supposed to have a yard sale that weekend at my house but we haven't solidified anything yet so I'm switching to the weekend after! ;)

message 292: by Susan (new)

Susan | 134 comments Elyse wrote: "http://www.24hourreadathon.com/summer...

Woot woot y'all back for round 2 of Reverse Readathon! I'm glad it's in August instead of July and I'm already taking the Friday off from w..."

Cool! I hadn’t seen this but will definitely be participating

message 293: by Susy (new)

Susy | 281 comments Yay!

message 294: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Walker (NekosBooks) (neko-firedemonTempest) | 1 comments Never heard of this before but I'm excited! Hopefully, I can participate.

message 295: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 988 comments I am also posting on Instagram @weezielemoo

1 2 3 4 6 next »