Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Group Challenges and Buddy Reads > Over in a Flash - June, 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Over in a Flash - hopefully will be a reoccurring challenge.

I stole this idea (with permission) from the SOS: Serious Overload of Series group.

Over in a Flash ~ Cover Hunt & Theme Challenge ~
Duration: June 1st through June 30th.

Rules: Read at least 2 books with the following themes, or items found on their covers, or colors from the options below. Be sure to post your book covers, dates read, and star ratings. Feel free to do as many as you want, as many times as you wish.

Member Choosing: Nikki ♥, has been a GoodReads member since April, 2008, and a participant of Happily Ever After Café since February, 2012. She is dedicating this June Challenge to her niece Katie and her best friend Linda. They are both June babies!

COLORS: Blue and/or Green

JUNE THEMES: (1) 1. First Day of Summer: Read a book that takes place during the summer months or takes place in a sunny place. (2) Art: Katie is a budding artist and is hoping to get into a special art school next semester. Read a book where a character is an artist, loves art or a book that has anything to do with art. (3) Nature: Linda loves the beauty of nature. She loves going to botanical gardens and parks for family gatherings. Read a book with some type of natural element on the cover. (4) Paranormal: Katie loves paranormal. Read a paranormal book. (5) Friendship: Linda and I have been friends for 20+ years. Read a book that centers around friendship or a book where a friendship is formed. (6) Father’s Day: Read a book where a character is a father or an expecting father.

ITEMS: June’s birthstone is pearl. Flowers are rose and honeysuckle. Zodiac signs are Gemini and Cancer. Other items are an artistic cover, horse, musical instrument, someone with long hair or freckles, playing cards, butterfly, bubbles and a handsome man.

CARDSFRECKLESROSEFATHER'S DAYVIOLINWATERMELONHORSEPEARL SANDALSBUBBLESPARANORMAL

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jul 25, 2017 08:09PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments
Blinkie Text Generator at TextSpace.net

BJ Rose 06/05 - Done! Congrats!
Becky 03/03 - Done! Congrats!
Brandilynn 00/06
Elaine 00/02
Ipshita 04/04 - Done! Congrats!
Julianna 03/03 - Done! Congrats!
Lara 03/03 - Done! Congrats!
Lisa (Aussie Girl) 04/04 - Done! Congrats!
Melissa 02/02 - Done! Congrats!
Nikki ♥ 10/10 - Done! Congrats!
Sandra 05/05 - Done! Congrats!
Sherin 00/05
Silvia 03/03 - Done! Congrats!
Trish 00/02

00/??
00/??
00/??
00/??
00/??
00/??

message 3: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jun 13, 2017 12:49AM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments LISA'S TRACKING POST 4/4 COMPLETED

THEME; 2. ART Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2) by Cassandra Clare by Cassandra Clare. 6/2/17 4.5 stars.
Julian Blackthorn is an artist especially of beautiful murals.

COLOUR; BLUE.. Wild Embrace (Psy-Changeling #2.5, 5.1, 11.5, 12.1) by Nalini Singh by Nalini Singh. ★★★★. 6/7/17

THEME; FATHER'S DAY Forget Me Not (SEAL Team 12, #1) by Marliss Melton ★★★☆. 6/9/17. Hero, Gabe becomes a step father to teenaged Mallory.

THEME ; FIRST DAY OF SUMMER. A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Saga, #.6) by Mary Balogh by Mary Balough. 6/13/17. ★★★★

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Welcome to the challenge, Lisa!

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I know I will have these two, maybe more but I am going to definatly sign up for 2.

Paranormal: Leopard's Prey (Leopard People, #6) by Christine Feehan

Friendship: Savor the Moment (Bride Quartet, #3) by Nora Roberts

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Welcome to the challenge, Melissa!

~Book Reviews by Trish~ (bookreviewsbytrish) Art: Escape by Belle Ami

Handsome man: Sadie's Highlander A Highland Protector Novel (Highland Protectors) by Maeve Greyson

I might try one more for paranormal but I haven't decided yet :)

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments I'm in for 5 again!!

message 9: by Nikki ♥ (last edited Jun 27, 2017 01:16PM) (new)

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments Nikki's Tracking
10/10

Blue ~ Pink Jinx (Jinx, #1; Cajun, #5) by Sandra Hill 6/4 - 4★
Art ~ Heroine in the third story is an artist It Happened One Season by Stephanie Laurens 3.5★
Nature ~ The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2) by Julia Quinn 6/12 - 3★
Paranormal ~ How to Seduce a Vampire (Without Really Trying) (Love at Stake, #15) by Kerrelyn Sparks 6/7 - 4★
Friendship ~ Heroine hires an event coordinator and becomes friends with her Come Sundown by Nora Roberts 6/3 - 4★
Father's Day ~ Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy) by Robyn Carr 6/26 - 4★
Artistic cover ~ The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 6/5 - 4★
Playing cards ~ Sin City (Hot in the City, #2) by Lacey Alexander 6/11 - 3★
Long hair ~ Black Widow (Elemental Assassin, #12) by Jennifer Estep 6/22 - 5★
Handsome man ~ Sins of the Flesh (Otherkin, #3) by Eve Silver 6/6 - 4★

message 10: by Lara (last edited Jun 22, 2017 03:35PM) (new)

Lara | 59 comments I'm in for 3!

Read: 2/3

COLORS: Blue and/or Green Yours to Keep 6/8

JUNE THEMES: (5) Friendship The Second Chance Cafe 6/4

ITEMS: an artistic cover An Affair Before Christmas 6/8

The Second Chance Cafe (Hope Springs #1) by Alison Kent Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3) by Shannon Stacey An Affair Before Christmas (Desperate Duchesses, #2) by Eloisa James

message 11: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments I'm in for all 3 this time.

message 12: by Elaine (new)

Elaine I'll try for 2, but am having trouble reading still.
Thanks Lisa Kay

message 13: by Elaine (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:40PM) (new)

Elaine HEAC - OVER IN A FLASH (1st June - 30th June)

BLUE COVER - A Duke By Any Other Name Eva Devon
GREEN COVER - The Disappearance of Lady Edith Christina McKnight

A Duke By Any Other Name (Duke's Club #7) by Eva Devon The Disappearance of Lady Edith (The Undaunted Debutantes, #1) by Christina McKnight

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Welcome to the challenge, Trish, Sandra, Nikki ♥, Lara, Julianna, & Elaine!

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jun 16, 2017 09:29PM) (new)

Volunteers for Upcoming Months?
Does anyone have any family, friends, or loved ones who have birthdays (etc.) coming up in July... or beyond... and you want to dedicate a challenge to them by selecting our three themes, colors, items? If so, let me know and I'll eMail you the info.

I can pick the pictures for you... or you may. Whatever.

OVER IN A FLASH
Keeping Track of Volunteers - Dedicating to Loved Ones

Month/Year	Member			Join GRs / HEAC 
Nov. 2017 Sherin* Oct10 / Feb 12
Oct. 2017
Sept. 2017
August 2017 Brandilyn* Nov11 / Jul12
July 2017 Lisa (Aussie Girl) May10 / Jul12
June 2017 Nikki ♥ Apr08 / Feb12

*Brandilyn - can switch to September
*Sherin - can switch to October

message 16: by Brandilyn (new)

Brandilyn (brandilynrc) | 233 comments I am in for 6 for June (I need to go update May... that month completely got away from me!)

I can do August or September, Lisa Kay (I have kids with birthdays in both. My parents' (who I lost end of last year) anniversary is also in August).

message 17: by Brandilyn (new)

Brandilyn (brandilynrc) | 233 comments My spot

0/6

JUNE THEMES:
(1) 1. First Day of Summer: Read a book that takes place during the summer months or takes place in a sunny place.
(2) Art: Katie is a budding artist and is hoping to get into a special art school next semester. Read a book where a character is an artist, loves art or a book that has anything to do with art.
(3) Nature: Linda loves the beauty of nature. She loves going to botanical gardens and parks for family gatherings. Read a book with some type of natural element on the cover.
(4) Paranormal: Katie loves paranormal. Read a paranormal book.
(5) Friendship: Linda and I have been friends for 20+ years. Read a book that centers around friendship or a book where a friendship is formed.
(6) Father’s Day: Read a book where a character is a father or an expecting father.

ITEMS:
Pearl.
Rose
Honeysuckle.
Gemini and Cancer.
artistic cover
horse
musical instrument
someone with long hair or freckles
playing cards, butterfly
bubbles
a handsome man

message 18: by Silvia (last edited Jun 24, 2017 10:38PM) (new)

Silvia | 569 comments I'm in for at least 3.

Summer: A Summer of Guiltless Sex June 1st - 5 stars - LOVED!!
Natural element on cover: Red Dirt Heart June 23rd - 5 stars
Father: And Then You June 22 - 5 stars

A Summer of Guiltless Sex by Dan Skinner Red Dirt Heart (Red Dirt, #1) by N.R. Walker And Then You by Amanda Richardson

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Great, Brandilyn! I'll assign you August, unless someone else pipes up, then I'll move you to September. Let's give it a couple days. Then I'll send you an eMail.

Thanks!

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Welcome to the challenge, Brandilyn & Silvia!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments LISA'S TRACKING POST 1/4

THEME; 2. ART Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2) by Cassandra Clare by Cassandra Clare. 6/2/17 4.5 stars.
Julian Blackthorn is an artist especially of beautiful murals. Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2) by Cassandra Clare

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Updated you, Lisa. :o)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments Thanks Lisa Kay.

I haven't done one for a while. I can do July, my son and his wife both have birthdays in July.

message 24: by Kathi (last edited Jun 15, 2017 01:12AM) (new)

Kathi (kathis-wonderland) | 2 comments I would love to be part of the challenge, but I don't know how much I can read while studying for all my classes for University.

I've managed to read one book so far.

- Colors: Blue and Green: Late Summer in the Vineyard description - Read: 14.6.2017, Rating 4 stars

message 25: by Sherin (last edited Jun 15, 2017 10:55PM) (new)

Sherin Punnilath (shery_7) | 85 comments I'm in for 5..

1. Father’s Day : The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin - Read on 06/02/2017 (A lovely read)

2. First Day of Summer : Map of the Invisible World Map of the Invisible World by Tash Aw : 06/05/17 (Set in Indonesia )

3. Natural Element :Cloud Atlas Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell : 06/12/17

4. Paranormal : The Overcoat The Overcoat by Nikolai Gogol : 06/12/17

5. Colour (Green ) Where'd You Go, Bernadette Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple :06/14/2017

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jun 02, 2017 08:32PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I haven't done one for a while. I can do July, my son and his wife both have birthdays in July."

Cool! I'll mark you down...and send you an eMail.

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jun 02, 2017 08:40PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Kathi wrote: "I would love to be part of the challenge, but I don't know how much I can read while studying for all my classes for University."

Studying definitely comes first, Kathi!

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Welcome to the challenge, Sherin!

message 29: by Sherin (new)

Sherin Punnilath (shery_7) | 85 comments Thank you, Lisa Kay :)

message 30: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1216 comments I'm listing 5 - will see how many I actually get done…

Over in a Flash June 2017

0/5

COLOR: Green: The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer by Georgette Heyer
COLOR: Blue & Green: A Knights Bridge Christmas (Swift River Valley, #5) by Carla Neggers by Carla Neggers
COLOR: Blue/Green: The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2) by Julia Quinn by Julia Quinn
THEME # 4: PNR: Bound Together (Sea Haven/Sisters of the Heart, #6) by Christine Feehan by Christine Feehan
THEME #6: Father's Day: Roger is the father of 2 young children: An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon by Diana Gabaldon

message 31: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments 2/?
Blue ~ Pink Jinx (Jinx, #1; Cajun, #5) by Sandra Hill 6/4 - 4★

Friendship ~ Heroine hires an event coordinator and becomes friends with her Come Sundown by Nora Roberts 6/3 - 4★

~Book Reviews by Trish~ (bookreviewsbytrish) Art: Escape by Belle Ami
Rating: 4.5/5
Finished: 6/1/17

~Book Reviews by Trish~ (bookreviewsbytrish) Lisa Kay wrote: "

Does anyone have any family, friends, or loved ones who have birthdays (etc.) coming up in July... or beyond... and you want to dedicate a cha..."

My daughters Bday is July 21

message 34: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments 1/5 Completed 6/5/17

THEME: Friendship: Read a book that centers around friendship.

Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay

4**** A good start to a new series that I discovered. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

message 35: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1216 comments I'm listing 5 - will see how many I actually get done…

1/5

COLOR: Green: The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer by Georgette Heyer
COLOR: Blue & Green: A Knights Bridge Christmas (Swift River Valley, #5) by Carla Neggers by Carla Neggers
√ COLOR: Blue/Green: The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2) by Julia Quinn by Julia Quinn - 3* - 6.04
THEME # 4: PNR: Bound Together (Sea Haven/Sisters of the Heart, #6) by Christine Feehan by Christine Feehan
THEME #6: Father's Day: Roger is the father of 2 young children: An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon by Diana Gabaldon

message 36: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  Flanigan | 1 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Over in a Flash - hopefully will be a reoccurring challenge.

I stole this idea (with permission) from the SOS: Serious Overload of Series group.

Over in a Flash ~ Cover Hunt & Them..."
Remembrance (Heart Lines #1) by Heather Hildenbrand

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments LISA'S TRACKING POST 2/4

COLOUR; BLUE.. Wild Embrace (Psy-Changeling #2.5, 5.1, 11.5, 12.1) by Nalini Singhby Nalini Singh. ★★★★. 6/7/17 . Wild Embrace (Psy-Changeling #2.5, 5.1, 11.5, 12.1) by Nalini Singh

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Trish wrote: "My daughters Bday is July 21..."

Sweet!

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Welcome to the challenge, BJ Rose! Samuel, I'm not sure if you're joining or not. Could you please clarify?

Updated you all, ladies.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments LISA'S TRACKING POST 3/4

COLOUR; BLUE.. Wild Embrace (Psy-Changeling #2.5, 5.1, 11.5, 12.1) by Nalini Singhby Nalini Singh. ★★★★. 6/7/17

THEME; FATHER'S DAY Forget Me Not (SEAL Team 12, #1) by Marliss Melton ★★★☆. 6/9/17. Hero, Gabe becomes a step father to teenaged Mallory. Forget Me Not (SEAL Team 12, #1) by Marliss Melton

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments 2/5 Completed 6/9/17

THEMES: NATURE: Read a book with some type of natural element on the cover. (Flowers & Mud seems as natural as you can get!) ;-}
No One But You (Silver Springs, #2) by Brenda Novak

4+**** Another great addition to the Silver Springs series!

message 42: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jun 18, 2017 11:42PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 292 comments I'm a little late this month, but I think I can squeeze in three books.

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

HEA's Over-in-a-Flash
June 2017

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

Finished: 3 of 3

✔︎ 1. Nature/Ocean To Scotland With Love by Patience Griffin |4½★'s| Jun 12
✔︎ 2. Paranormal: Awake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter |4★'s| Jun 18
✔︎ 3. Item: Horse: To Win Her Favor by Tamera Alexander |5★'s| Jun 10

To Scotland With Love (Kilts and Quilts, #1) by Patience Griffin The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2) by Tamera Alexander

message 43: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 1031 comments Hi! I'm joining in late as well. Please sign me up :)

White Hot (Hidden Legacy, #2) by Ilona Andrews 03/06/17 ★★★★★

THEMES:
(1) 1. First Day of Summer:
The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2) by Julia Quinn
04/06/17 ★★★.5

(3) Nature:
Shield of Winter (Psy-Changeling, #13) by Nalini Singh
06/06/17 ★★★★

(4) Paranormal:
Shards of Hope (Psy-Changeling, #14) by Nalini Singh
11/06/17 ★★★★

message 44: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jun 13, 2017 12:52AM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments LISA'S TRACKING POST 4/4 COMPLETED

COLOUR; BLUE.. Wild Embrace (Psy-Changeling #2.5, 5.1, 11.5, 12.1) by Nalini Singhby Nalini Singh. ★★★★. 6/7/17

THEME; FATHER'S DAY Forget Me Not (SEAL Team 12, #1) by Marliss Melton ★★★☆. 6/9/17. Hero, Gabe becomes a step father to teenaged Mallory.

THEME ; FIRST DAY OF SUMMER. A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Saga, #.6) by Mary Balogh . 6/13/17. ★★★★ A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Saga, #.6) by Mary Balogh

message 45: by Sherin (new)

Sherin Punnilath (shery_7) | 85 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "

Does anyone have any family, friends, or loved ones who have birthdays (etc.) coming up in July... or beyond... and you want to dedicate a cha..."

My sister's birthday is in November & a dear friend's in October..
I can prepare the challenge for any of those months.

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments 3/5 Completed 6/12/17

JUNE THEMES: Father’s Day: Read a book where a character is a father or an expecting father.
Same Beach, Next Year by Dorothea Benton Frank

4**** A great summer read!!

message 47: by BJ Rose (new)

3/5

√ COLOR: Green: The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer by Georgette Heyer - 4* - 6.12
√ COLOR: Blue/Green: The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2) by Julia Quinn by Julia Quinn - 3* - 6.04
√ THEME #6: Father's Day: Roger is the father of 2 young children: An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon by Diana Gabaldon - 5* - 6.11 (listened to audiobook)

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Welcome to the challenge, Becky & Ipshita!

Updated you, ladies.

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Sherin wrote: "My sister's birthday is in November & a dear friend's in October..
I can prepare the challenge for any of those months."

Great, Sherin! I'll send you something in a bit.

...and post a sign-up list... so I don't get confused. LOL!

message 50: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Congrats, Lisa (Aussie Girl)!

...pearls...

« previous 1