You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Team Two Gets the Clue (and the win)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 347 (347 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited May 31, 2017 07:28AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments

Team Two

Team members:

Amanda
Annette
Janice
Jannene
Lanelle
Laura
Marie
Sam
Sarah

We need:

Team Captain - Sarah
Spreadsheet Keeper/Score Keeper - Janice
Name - Team Two Gets the Club (and the win)

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (last edited May 31, 2017 07:05PM) (new)

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments Reserved

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 03:02AM) (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Hi guys! This is going to be fun. I think the person keeping the spreadsheet might need to be the person who organises who reads what. I guess it doesn't have to be. So perhaps the scorer could be different to the spreadsheet/organiser. Not sure if the organiser would be the same person as the team captain or not. Just throwing ideas out there. Does that all make sense? It does in my head.

We need to work out who's reading what asap as we only have a few days to organise things to maximise our point scoring possibilities.

So I think focusing on the colour section and the weapon section first would be a good strategy as they are the smaller sections. Completing a section gives us an extra 20 points, If we complete all sections, we get an extra 40 points. Also we have the extra points if we choose longer books. I think I'm still probably going to go for shorter books because we can complete the sections quicker that way. What's everyone else's thoughts?

I am going to be away this weekend from Friday to Sunday so it's unlikely I will be able to check in. I need to know what I'm reading before Friday so I can prepare. It's unlikely I'll get any reading done until the Sunday on my way back.

I've gophered for all the tasks:

red - Red Queen (383), The Quantum Thief (336), The Deep (394)
purple - Divinity (384)
blue - Therapy (304), Fluency (377), Point Apocalypse (258), Cobweb Bride (293)
green - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (269)
yellow
white - The Left Hand of Darkness (304 or audio), The Secrets She Keeps (352), Half a King (336), The Girl in the Road (336), The Invention of Wings (384), Red Queen (383), The Far Time Incident (342), Brave New World (audio), Snowblind (300), Survivor (audio)

candlestick (sun/fire) - Three Parts Dead (336)
knife (restaurant bus)
pipe (plumber)
gun - Shadows of Self (383), Faithful Place (400)?, Fluency (377)?, Sons of Anarchy: Bratva (256), , The Bands of Mourning (336)
rope (climb/circus)
wrench (handyman/mechanic) - Cinder (400)

kitchen (meal/food/recipe)
ballroom (ball/dance/gown)
conservatory (garden/flowers) - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (269)
dining (family)
billiard (pub/sport)
library (books/library) - The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry (260)
lounge (actor/music)
hall (castle/hall/medieval) - Swords of Good Men (352), God of Vengeance (320), Howl's Moving Castle (329)
study (uni/school/studious) - Brother Odd (364), The Far Time Incident (342), Lexicon(390)

I would like to do the White task as I have lots of options for that. I'll probably do an audio for that one. I would also like to do the library task as have a short book for that one. Also I was thinking that Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is quite short too and would work for the conservatory task and green cover (according to tineye). That's probably all I can manage as I have coursework deadlines coming up. I wouldn't want to over commit and then let the team down.

I would recommend people note if books fit more than 1 category as that will help to do some moving around if required.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments We also need a name. Any ideas? The only thing that came to mind for me was "2 to Clue".

message 6: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments Thanks for starting this thread, Janice.

I agree, Sarah. We'll definitely need to organize who reads what for this challenge. I am also going to be reading shorter books. Getting the bonus points for completing the sections is better.

I like "2 to Clue". The only name I had come up with was "2 Solve the Clue" which really doesn't make sense. Yours is straight to the point.

I've been thinking about offering to complete one section on my own, that way the team can focus on the other two sections.

message 7: by Lanelle (last edited Jun 06, 2017 06:14PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments Here's what I've gophered:
red - The Girl from Red Lion Square, A Red Tale, Of Paupers and Peers
purple - Lord Ravensden's Marriage, A Most Improper Proposal
blue - Loving Miss Darcy, Drew in Blue
green - The Secret of Holly Green Manor
yellow - The Yellow Feather Mystery, Dashwood Avenue
white - Not So Snow White, White Lies

candlestick (sun/fire) - Thanksgiving, Shaken
knife (restaurant) - Hope Was Here, Love By Accident
pipe (plumber) - Smitten, Actions Speak Louder, Better Than New
gun - Ice, Faint and Far Away
rope (climb/circus) - Circus Mirandus, Circus Galacticus, Suspended
wrench (handyman/mechanic) - Bubba and the Dead Woman

kitchen (meal/food/recipe) - Havoc
ballroom (ball/dance/gown) - A Grand Gesture, Newt's Emerald
conservatory (garden/flowers) - A Holland Kiss
dining (family) - My Sister's Keeper
billiard (pub/sport) - Sticks, Million-Dollar Throw, The Crossover
library (books/library) - Life Reader, The Island of Dr. Libris, The Haunted Bookshop
lounge (actor/music) - Back to the Bedroom
hall (castle/hall/medieval) - Tuesdays at the Castle, The Castle Of The Shadows
study (uni/school/studious) - Operation Yes

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Lanelle wrote: "I've been thinking about offering to complete one section on my own, that way the team can focus on the other two sections."

I guess we need to see what tasks peoples have books for. You've got something for every tasks which is great. You will be the most flexible of us all quite possibly especially as you read quite a few books whereas those who are only reading 1 or 2 books and/or less book options won't have so much flexibility. So I think we might need to plug them in first if that makes sense.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 06:47AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments I have identified 4 books as priority:

Peacock (blue) - The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender (301 pgs = 5 points)
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
Ballroom - The Ballroom (320 pgs = 5 points)
Billiard Room - Beartown (hockey) (432 pgs = 10 points)
Lounge - The Long Hard Road Out of Hell (Marilyn Manson) (288 pgs = 5 points)

Here are my other options that could be used to fill in required tasks.

I could start a spreadsheet and be the keeper of the spreadsheet, if someone wants to organize us.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments If Lanelle is going to wipe out the coloured covers section, I could swap out my Peacock for another room. I have books identified for all the rooms, but I don't want to commit to more than 4 books in case I can't fit them all in.

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments Testing - see if you can access this link:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Atsitmoc4R0-lGTjU...

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments Name suggestions:

Team Two has a Clue (rhymes)
Double Trouble

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi guys! This is going to be fun. I think the person keeping the spreadsheet might need to be the person who organises who reads what. I guess it doesn't have to be. So perhaps the scorer could be ..."

Having just set up the spreadsheet, I think scoring comes naturally to that task.

The team captain could orchestrate who reads what, and determines which tasks need to be filled.

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments I'm happy to be the bossy one and sort tasks althouh it will mainly need to be sorted by end of Friday my time (GMT+1) but i'm also happy if someone else wants to do it.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm happy to be the bossy one and sort tasks althouh it will mainly need to be sorted by end of Friday my time (GMT+1) but i'm also happy if someone else wants to do it."

Yeah!

Can you access the spreadsheet through the test link?

I've entered the preferences that people have so far indicated, putting Lanelle down for all the characters.

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments I haven't tried yet. Where is the link? I'm on my phone so will have a look later.

message 17: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Ok i found the link. Duh!

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments And yes i can accesd it. Even on my phone :-)

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Now we just need some team members to show up so we can get organising.

message 20: by Lanelle (last edited May 30, 2017 08:17AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments Janice, the link worked for me.

Sarah, I'll be flexible. I can either wipe out a section, and/or fill in what others aren't reading. I'll be patient and see what you decide. Thanks for being bossy :)

message 21: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments I reckon it might be better to put Lannelle down for all the weapons as we have 2 of the people colours covered between us and they are easier to find books for. Let's leave it as it is for now and wait for some others to let us know their preferences.

message 22: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 504 comments I haven't had much time to look at my bookshelf, but I did check out my audible library. I have Blue Dahlia by Nora Roberts that would fit the Conservatory. The MC is a gardener and the cover has a flower on it.
It sounds like the color section is covered, but for future reference, if the audio book cover is over 75% one color, but that cover isn't on Goodreads, would it count? The closest cover I found on GR is only 64% red.

message 23: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments Laura, do you have an idea for a name for the team, or do you like one that has been mentioned?

message 24: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 504 comments I kind of like Team 2 has a Clue.

message 25: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments Laura wrote: "I kind of like Team 2 has a Clue."

How about we tweek it just a bit: Team Two Gets the Clue (and the Win!)

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13255 comments Laura - Could you post a link to the book with the cover you have from another site such as Amazon or Audible? That would work.

message 27: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Hello team! I feel a little out of the loop since I haven't been online for several days. I can do whatever you need me to do. I can for sure read 5 books. Maybe as many as 7.

message 28: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Lanelle wrote: "Laura wrote: "I kind of like Team 2 has a Clue."

How about we tweek it just a bit: Team Two Gets the Clue (and the Win!)"

I love that name!

message 29: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments I have focused my gophering on the weapons category since it seemed pretty wide open.

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments That's excellent Annette. Let us know which of the weapons tasks you would like to do and we can put you down for them. That will be people once through by Lannelle and Weapons once through by Annette. We have a couple rooms covered already so we can plus others in there as well as more of the others to see if we can complete categories more than once.

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments I like team two gets the clue (and the win) as well.

message 32: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Load the picture from your audiobook site in to tin eye Laura and put a link on here for us to look at.

message 33: by Lanelle (last edited May 30, 2017 01:21PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments I've been doing some math. Someone correct me if my numbers are wrong.

There are 9 of us on the team.
There are 21 tasks that need to be filled.
If each of us read 3 books, that will cover the 21 tasks and another set of 6.

Will we get another 20 points if we complete all the tasks in a section twice?

message 34: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Yes if we complete a section a second time then we get the extra bonus points. Maybe the duplicated set should be the people category as that is the easiest one to fill.

Come on teamies who haven't checked in. This toppler needs planning! We have to work as a team.

message 35: by Marie (UK) (last edited May 31, 2017 01:55AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 1437 comments Hi everyone

I can certainly do red cover will look at rooms and weapons

ETA i can do conservatory - flowers on cover

think The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley could work for dining room

I have to go out soon let me know and can look more tonight

message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Hi Marie. We'll put you down for red cover then. Rooms would be good if you could find some for that Marie as that sections we don't have filled yet. Check out the spreadsheet in message 11.

So I think we will be able to complete each of the 3 sections and then we should focus on the people section to complete for a second time.

message 37: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2094 comments Hey team! I'll be honest I have been a little lax on the gophering front and only have one that hasn't already been covered by Lanelle.

I have one for candlestick with The Fireman and at 784 pages it gets the 20 points too.
I shall gopher more this evening and see what else I can dig up.

And the excel link works for me too!

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Great choice Sam on The Fireman. We'll get some extra points with that one! We'll put you down for the candlestick task then with that one! We're aiming to do the colour section twice. Lannelle has it covered for one round and then I have white and Janice has blue for the second round so if you have something for one of the other colours that would be great. And if you have anything for the rooms that would be great as we don't have so many of those.

message 39: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2094 comments Awesome I shall get that ready for starting on Saturday then, give myself maximum time to read it.

I already have a few noted for the two of the other colours as follows:

Red: Die Dog or Eat the Hatchet by Adam Howe
Green: The Hummingbird Wizard (The Annie Szabo Mystery Series, #1) by Meredith Blevins

I shall look at the other rooms and see what I can dig out.

message 40: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited May 31, 2017 05:16AM) (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Excellent. We'll stick you down for Green as well Sam. How many books are you planning on? Marie has said she'd do Red - do you have another colour or perhaps look at one of the other sections?!

Unless we put you down for Red and Marie goes with another of her choices? Let me know.

message 41: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2094 comments I think I should manage about 3-4, so I'll do candlestick and green and have a look what other ones I can do this evening and get back to you. I'll gopher as many as I can and then I can help fill in the gaps!

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments @Janice - I have updated the spreadsheet with Marie and Sam's choices (or at least some of them). I didn't realise I'd be able to edit it.

So we still need the following:

Person: purple and yellow
Weapons: possible one or two - just waiting for Marie to get back to us on which ones she'll cover
Rooms: kitchen, library, hall, and study

message 43: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Please do check the spreadsheet in message 11 for tasks which have been covered and those which are remaining.

message 44: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2768 comments Potential name suggestion - Team Two is Clued In or We're Clued In

Just ideas that first came to mind

message 45: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2094 comments I think I can cover the hall room one too with The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (last edited May 31, 2017 07:37AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments I've added you for Hall, Sam.

In the room section, we need Kitchen and Study.
In the weapon section, we only have candlestick.

I'm wondering if we should concentrate on doing each task once, because that's a 40 point bonus. That would mean that we would be needing to shuffle books around in the people section.

If The Magician's Lie would fit for rope (not sure if it's set in a circus), I could swap out my blue for it. I could swap others out as well, but I need to get to work and won't have time to gopher until this evening.

ETA - I was skimming reviews for The Magician's Lie, and someone called it a circus story. So I'll put me down for rope. I'll leave my blue book up for now until we decide if we're going to focus on filling up the weapons sections.

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments @Sarah, I made the spreadsheet so that others could edit it. Later today, I'll add the link to message #2, so that it's easier to find and access.

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments Oh, one last thing - Everyone seemed to like "Team Two Gets the Clue (and the win)", so I changed the title accordingly.

message 49: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2094 comments Thanks Janice.

Sounds like a good plan to focus on doing everything once, I'll focus my gophering this evening on trying to fill the gaps a bit more, Will look at a few re-reads as well (that's allowed right?) since my collection should provide a few extras that my TBR pile might be lacking.

message 50: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 504 comments If Marie doesn't already have these covered, I could read Cinder for the Wrench and Night Sins for the revolver.
Would a carnival count for the rope or does it need to be a circus?
I was also thinking I could read one of the Hannah Swensen Series for the kitchen. Each book contains dessert recipes.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7