Start by marking “The Long Hard Road Out of Hell” as Want to Read:
The Long Hard Road Out of Hell

The Long Hard Road Out of Hell

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  22,855 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews
The 150,000-copy national bestselling autobiography of Marilyn Manson, America's most controversial celebrity icon, is offered with a bonus chapter not included in the hardcover. "By turns moving, funny, appalling, disturbing. . . . There has never been anything like it".--"Rolling Stone". 80 b&w photos. 16-page color insert.

In his twenty-nine years, rock idol Manson h
Published March 3rd 1999 by It Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Hard Road Out of Hell, please sign up.
Peter I'm mostly done with this book and honestly, most would take it as a little entertaining. To me, what Manson talks about speaks a lot about what…moreI'm mostly done with this book and honestly, most would take it as a little entertaining. To me, what Manson talks about speaks a lot about what Generation X has felt for years. The only difference is that Manson acts it out in his music and shows. Wanting to understand life and sometimes getting the shit kicked out of you and lucky to be alive. Except Manson accepts what happened to him and what he has become. Others like him would have become drunks or the lower rung of society. Manson has turned it upside down and become what most fear. The book can be a good nice quick read and a look into someone who learned to adapt.(less)

·  22,855 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews

Kate
Aug 30, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bizarre, memoirsbios
I have a fascination with Marilyn Manson which has been stirred up by recent news about his deformed skeleton collection and nazi tiles in his library. Although I couldn't put the book down, it was actually much more disturbing than I could have imagined. He is a total misogynist and all-around creep who gets his kicks abusing vulnerable people. His philosophy of satanism/elitism makes him think he is much more intelligent than everyone else, but his writing (even with a "co-author") suggests ot ...more
Michael
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1990s
Over the years, Manson has said some intelligent things, and every now and then I think he's probably a pretty cool guy.

But, whenever I start thinking that, I flashback to the scene in this book where the whole band is gangbanging a deaf groupie who is covered in lunch meat--No, really. Lunch meat.--while screaming insults at her.

I mean, really. If you're going to shag a lunch-meat covered groupie while insulting her, have the balls to do it to a girl who can HEAR you.

I really don't care about
Jonathan Ashleigh
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recent
I decided to dive into this book because, while I never really liked Marilyn Manson's music or his band's style, I have always thought he is an intelligent person and I have always taken a look when he has appeared on talk shows. Recently, he was featured on Bret Easton Ellis’ podcast and his take on humanity, American consumerism and the media have never been more relevant.

The beginning of the memoir started slow and used clichés — please don’t describe a scene by saying it was like a poorly m
Beth Beth
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: open-minded non christians.
this book was epic.
every single part of it.

marilyn manson is definitely the most interesting character that has ever existed on the face of this green planet.
this book was stocked full of the crazy things he's experienced and done throughout his life. it was amazing.

but this book is not for the people who are weak of heart or weak to their stomach. there's plenty of sad and heart sinking moments but also grotesque, wacky parts that could scar the most fragile of minds.

<3 i loved it. best book
Purple
Oct 13, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Hardcore fans only.
Shelves: 1-star, biography
Yawn.

I read this merely out of curiosity (a morbid one at that) and was probably most surprised by the fact that I was surprised at how tedious I found it. The Long Dull Road Out of Hell is a more precise title.

I don't know what I really expected to find behind Manson's character, but it turns out that... no, I won't spoil it for you. It's unlikely that you care.
Lady
Nov 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
This was probably one of the most self-absorbed pieces of crap I have ever read by a musician. And I read this the year it came out, after we met him and my friends swoon over him. I disliked it then, when most would have listened to this BS. I know you're smart MM, but you're stupid with women and sold-out after that first album...which wasn't even that good! This guy is NOT goth and his stupid religion is one of the major reasons Christianity still has power. Shithead.
Structure
Jun 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Gen Xers, post-gen xers, intelligent Manson fans
This book was banned from my home for about ten years...I picked it up mostly to remember a time I held dear and to remember the icon that was before all the bullshit self-indulgency.

It's built like a fan book of sorts, with candid and professional photos, interviews, early writings of Brian Warner sprinkled in and out of his personal narrative. I didn't treat as much of an insight into the man as opposed to the being he created.

His style of writing doesn't flow, but I apreciate his voice. I fou
Christos
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan, really enjoyed reading about the man before the star. I would have rated 5 stars, however, I feel the timeline was too soon. As other reviewers have pointed out all the really interesting stuff from MM came after this book was published.

This book is about him, his journey, not so much about being a rockstar. He is not a typical rockstar. Similar, yes, and he is an entertainer, but he is not the garden variety rocker that is all about sex and drugs and booze, etc. At least in the
Once upon a time, I dated a goth boy. And that goth boy had an unhealthy obsession with Marilyn Manson. I was constantly subjected to his CDs and creepy videos and even had to deal when the goth boy started wearing smudged eyeliner and dying his hair black.

Of course, he bought this book the day it came out and since I had a bit of a morbid interest in the guy my boyfriend fell in love with, I gave it a read.

The two things I got from this book:

1. Brian Warner is an intelligent man.
2. Brian Warn
David Ravikoff
Mar 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: music fans/pop culture enthusiasts
Shelves: booksiveread
really interesting portrait of a dysfunctional youth growing up to become America's most hated rock n roll star ... not only a fun book if you are fan of Manson or rock n roll in general .. but the book connects the pyschological dots in such a way that even in 2007 .. the man, or more so, the character of Marilyn Manson is less of an idea, but an accumalation of events, traumas, and incredibly evil encounters. My only complaint was this book was written at the end of Marilyn Manson's "Anti Chri ...more
Christian
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Simply one of the best autobiographies I've read, purely for its brutal honesty. Could almost be classified as philosophy in the way Manson puts forward his ideas. Ideas that challenge the average reader to think outside the square. To quote the book;

"The devil doesn't exist. Satanism is about worshipping yourself, because you are responsible for your own good and evil. Christianity's war against the devil has always been a fight against man's most natural instincts - for sex, for violence, for
Athena
Aug 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
I read this book because I thought it would be interesting; the fact that Marilyn Manson cuts himself with broken glass onstage, dresses with morbid determination, uses medieval apparatus in videos to dramatize his self destruction, and titled his biography "The Long Hard Road Out of Hell." I was greatly disappointed to find that Marilyn Manson is basically just Brian Warner who abused drugs and alcohol and acted on fake sociopathic tendencies like something out of a haunted house at an amusemen ...more
Courtney
Feb 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm not even sure what this was. An elaborate performance piece? 300 odd pages of bollocks? Thinking it's legit is just too sickening really. Again. It's been twenty years since this was published...

In fact, twenty years ago was when I discovered The Dope Show. I was a pretty isolated kid in a musical sense. My mum wasn't into music and I didn't have an older sibling to introduce me into anything... or any friends really. But during my first year of high school the older kids on the bus used to
Angela
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007-2010
I have a strange fascination with this man who is full of contradictions. I love some of his songs. I hate others. I'm abhorred by some of his imagery, but I'm amazed with his thoughtfulness and eloquence when explaining their meaning. I truly respect him as an artist. But how much of what he does is "art?" He's pure evil. He's surprisingly compassionate.

But one thing is for sure. This guy is messed up.

Neil Strauss coauthors this one, and I've enjoyed his journalism. He does well transitioning f
Dani Cree
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
I love Marilyn Manson in general.
He is very intricate and the people who don't understand him are just too obsorbed in thier own perfect lives to consider the scary but amazing expericences he's had.
He's been through more than most people on this planet, and is still an interesting and genuine guy.
Anyways, the book is a detailed description is his early career and how he got to be who he is.
I found, for a man with no previous experience as an author, his writing was exceptional
Mari
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
I will start by saying that I'm not big on autobiographies at all. In my mind those are for uninteresting people who's made no impact on the world what so ever and who wants to read about them. Still, for many years I've been a fan of Marilyn Manson's music and as an ignorant 15 year old I considered Brian Warner a person I had things in common with and respected very much.

This book shows exactly why some people should never write books about themselves. The idea of reading Marilyn Manson's biog
Sean de la Rosa
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of his music at all but WOW, what a roller coaster of a read this autobiography was. Don't be fooled, Manson is uber-intelligent. The levels of depravity he reaches is simply shocking. What did surprise me though in the last few chapters dealing with personal confessions is that this satanist is frightened by nightmares and still fears the dark (?).

2 quotes I liked:
- 'A thing worse than a lie is an exposed lie.'
- 'As a bipedal animal, man by nature gravitates towards his evil side,
Roxy Smith
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Even if you don’t like Marilyn Manson as a musician or person, you have to give him respect for being able to write an autobiography that goes into many personal issues that has made him who he is. Manson talks a great deal about his childhood which many would find the facts disturbing to read, but Manson doesn’t leave out any details. Understanding his childhood I think will help people understand him and I think that is his intention. He talks about everything from rape and molestation to drug ...more
Vanessa
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember what exactly encouraged me to read this book. But when I finally obtain this book in my hands, I was excited and thrilled to learn about Marilyn Manson (Brian Warner) life and how he came to be. I'm not a huge fan of ebooks, but since the Los Angeles Public Library has free ebooks to check out and read for 21 days, it's definitely worth it. I realized when I read the first chapter, that I was entering a very deep dark explicit world that I was not necessarily comfortable with. A ...more
Dec 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Words cannot express how awful this book was.

Antichrist Superstar? More like pretentious, hypocritical, immature douchebag. (Superstar).

I remember kids in middle/high school passing this book around like it was their new Bible, and speaking in hushed, reverential tones about certain passages. (Ah, the 1990s). Those kids were obviously dumber than dog shit.

My imaginary conversation with the author while reading this book:

- You had to take the "Long Hard Road Out of Hell," huh? Tell me, what wa
Rebecca McNutt
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
This book wasn't bad; it debunks several allegations that Manson (or Brian Warner) is the devil, the cause of the Columbine shooting or a teen suicide influence, and proves that without the stage makeup, this guy is pretty normal (though rather a jerk and a bully at times and very full of himself, convinced he has all the answers).

What I didn't like was that much of it was ranting about his childhood, trying to evoke a pity party with disturbing memories, much like the notorious Running with Sci
Olga
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Manson is the man and I've been listening to him for the good half of my life. Don't know if it makes me sound young or old. After reading this book, many "burning" questions were satisfied with needed knowledge. So, all the rumors about Manson's relationship with his band mates or changing his skeletal anatomy to perform specific acts are well, just rumors. Along with numerous public "affidavits" of his "immoral" behavior. Of course, there were moments that made me cringe and not everything he ...more
Trisha
May 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
I thought I’d give this a try when I saw it deeply discounted on b&n. I’ve enjoyed Strauss’ writing previously and Manson’s soundbites that I’ve heard in the past seemed intelligent. The book does not lend itself to either of those things. The material was initially eccentric enough to be interesting but as my senses dulled the book became increasingly boring. Manson is never able to overcome the powerful angst that he feels as a youth. Instead of trying to develop his character, he fuels hi ...more
Erika
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh
Stephen
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: rock-n-roll
Chances are, regardless if you've heard his music or not, you've at least heard of Marilyn Manson. Though he's lost some of his notoriety over the years, he was Public Enemy #1 for religious leaders and politicians in the mid to late 90's.

Now, whereas I don't consider myself a fan of his music, I've always been fascinated by Brian Warner, the man behind the alter-ego of Marilyn Manson. In interviews, Manson has always come across as intelligent and articulate, so I was curious to see the man be
Zuky the BookBum
Jan 17, 2017 marked it as to-read
Not sure if you knew this already, but I'm absolute Manson trash

Anna
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
MARILYN MANSON HAS MORE THAN 450 SCARS, NOT COUNTING EMOTIONAL ONES.
This is a great insight into Mariyn's messed up brain. It's a funny, twisted read.
I found at times I felt overwhelmingly sympathetic towards him- although reading the disgusting bits and outrageous things he did (SMOKING BONES FROM A GRAVEYARD? THE POOR RABBIT?)I hadn't realised how sensitive he was underneath how seemingly heartless he seemed at times.The depression and anger Manson feels in which he writes about can only come
Myss-Syckness
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think this is the first biography I ever fully read.
I read it two or three times actually.
And there was a point in time where I carried it in my bag EVERYWHERE I went, now it extremely worn out lol.
I hate when people critisize or ridicule Manson because he actually is a very intellegent person.
I love this book so much, it gives you a real in depth look at his life from childhood to where he is today... with A LOT of twisted details and stories along the way.
Some of it is serious, some of it is
Ashley Ford
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
If you want to read something that could be summed up in less than thousands of words as "I had lots of depraved sex, and did lots of cocaine," then this is the book for you! However, if you were expecting something scintillating, or that Marilyn Manson is more behind the man on stage, you will be disappointed. Seriously. I always found him as an intellectual, however, watching a deaf girl being rammed while covered in lunch meat isn't exactly intellectually stimulating. In fact, this book made ...more
Hanaa
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've already read this and I've been wanting to reread it since the first time I read it a few years back. I love music memoir and reading about the excess and hedonism is addictive; I can never get enough. I'm teetering between 4 and 5 stars for this one.
Good shit.
If it isn't your style... don't read it retard. 8 97 Jan 15, 2019 10:19AM
  • Dissecting Marilyn Manson
  • Dirty Blonde: The Diaries of Courtney Love
  • This Is Gonna Hurt: Music, Photography, And Life Through The Distorted Lens Of Nikki Sixx
  • Tommyland
  • Get in the Van: On the Road With Black Flag
  • Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal
  • And I Don't Want to Live This Life: A Mother's Story of Her Daughter's Murder
  • It's So Easy: And Other Lies
Brian Hugh Warner, better known by his stage name Marilyn Manson, is an American musician and artist known for his outrageous stage persona and image as the lead singer of the eponymous band. His stage name was formed from the names of actress Marilyn Monroe and convicted murderer Charles Manson. In 2004, the band's hit "mOBSCENE" was nominated for a Grammy Award for "Best Metal Performance".
“I've always believed that a person is smart. It's people that are stupid.” 277 likes
“Most of the world's problems could be avoided if people just said what they fucking meant.” 260 likes