Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-thon #1 - On my shelf!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited May 20, 2017 05:29AM) (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
Discovering new books is the one of the best things about this group and Goodreads in general. But sometimes you have to dust off that TBR and take a look at what's really on there.

Instructions: To sort your TBR, you'll need to go to your to-read shelf. Above your list (next to the search bar) there are some links for Batch Edit, Settings, Stats, and Print. We just want the Settings one so click that! Now you should see a list of columns. Checking the boxes will allow you to see more info about your to-read books.

In order to play along, you're going to need to put a check in the num ratings box, the rating box, the num pages box, and the date pub box. Hit the close button in the lower right-hand corner when you've done that.

Now you can sort and play along! Click on any of the column headers (like num pages or date pub, for example) to sort your list in ascending or descending order for that particular header.

What's the most recent book added to your TBR?

Which book has been on it the longest?

Which book has the least number of ratings?

Which book has the lowest rating?

What's the longest book?

Edit: Question 4 changed to make more sense for a TBR.

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2854 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR? Le Cri Des Pierres on 17th May, it's the second of a series I just started.

Which book has been on it the longest? The Silence of the Lambs, one of the first books I added when I subscribed to Goodreads on March 23, 2011 (I do plan on reading it this year).

Which book has the least number of ratings? Le secret de Moïse, a French book that only has 2 ratings.

Which book did you rate the lowest? Wasn't it the lowest rated book on my TBR? It seems weird to have a book from my read shelf suddenly... On my read shelf it's The Girl on the Train and on the TBR it's We Can Be Mended (Divergent 3.5) with 3.01 stars

What's the longest book? A Dance with Dragons with 1,125 pages O_o

message 3: by Rachel (last edited May 20, 2017 10:29AM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2742 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?
I actually recently went on a huge adding spree to my TBR, looking ahead to upcoming releases for next year. The last book that I added was Left Drowning, which I added because I really enjoyed another book by the same author and was interested in seeing if she had written anything else.

According to Goodreads, it's technically Mansfield Park, but I actually added multiple books at about the same time the first day I started my account, so I'd say they would all count as one the list the same amount of time. That one just happened to be the first of many.

Which book has the least number of ratings?Calculus of Change, The Bakersville Dozen and Meant to Be have only one rating each, which makes sense since none of them are out yet.

Of books that have actually been released, Nim: A Chimpanzee Who Learned Sign Language has the lowest number of ratings, with only 19.

Which book did you rate the lowest?
I'll exclude the books that I never gave a star rating to, most of which are books I read a really long time ago and couldn't remember what I thought.
Actually -- now that I'm thinking about it, this doesn't seem relevant to a TBR. It just seems to relate to books I already read. Of those, my lowest ratings were for Twilight, Breaking Dawn and Two Little Girls in Blue, all of which were rated 2 stars.

To follow what others here have done, I'll also add the book that has the lowest average rating, which is The Devil's Name is George: Confessions of a Public Education Teacher, which has an average rating of 2.67 but based on only 3 ratings.

What's the longest book?
Les Misérables

message 4: by Andrea (last edited May 19, 2017 10:26PM) (new)

Andrea | 402 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?
I recently was browsing Off the Shelf recommendations when these two selections caught my eye.
The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession by Susan Orlean
The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

I began my Goodreads TBR list on June 18, 2013 and have yet to read these 5 books/collections that I initially added.
The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks by Amy Stewart
Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon's Army & Other Diabolical Insects by Amy Stewart
The New York Times Book of Mathematics: More Than 100 Years of Writing by the Numbers by Gina Kolata
A Song of Ice and Fire, Leather-Cloth Boxed Set by George R.R. Martin
The Belgariad Boxed Set: Pawn of Prophecy / Queen of Sorcery / Magician's Gambit / Castle of Wizardry / Enchanters' End Game by David Eddings

This book has 0 ratings because it has an unknown release date.
The Seven Sisters by Neil Gaiman
This book has 0 ratings because ??? The best guess that I can hazard for this lack of ratings is that it is a specialty textbook.
Homeopathic Pharmacy: Theory and Practice by Steven B. Kayne

The book that follows the books that I listed above with 0 ratings has an average of 2.8 with only 44 ratings.
Cruel is the Night by Karo Hamalainen

What's the longest book?
I do have a few collections that contain anywhere from 1635 to 5280 pages, but the longest individual book on my TBR list is
Jerusalem by Alan Moore with a whopping 1280 pages.

message 5: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?
The Carpet Makers. It won't stay long there because I borrowed it at the library, so it'll be one of my next reads. Highly recommended by friends and German fantasy.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight since Jan 1 2013 (when I joined GR). I don't think I can actually read it because it's my clue on how is ordered my TBR :p

Légendes. 0 ratings which isn't unexpected for a French book. I own it so maybe I should read it and add a rating !

Oh well, I just deleted a book from my TBR because of this question. Hmm, now the lowest rating (excluding not rated, not released) is for We Can Be Mended with an average of 3.01 with 773 ratings (it's the last Divergent short story, there are plenty of hate reviews for it).

What's the longest book?
Worm is 6680p (it's a web novel) and after that The Wise Man's Fear with 994p.

message 6: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 697 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?
I bought two books yesterday United As One by Pittacus Lore and The Boy at the Top of the Mountain by John Boyne. Since United as One was on my to buy list, The Boy at the Top of the Mountain is the most recent book I added.

From the books I added when I started my account (sep 2014) I think I have owned The Accidental Sorcerer by K.E. Mills the longest. But I have other books I have owned longer, I think, I just added them to my account later.

Three books have only one rating:
- Last Minute & Vakantievrienden, probably because most people gave read the books separate
- Jachtseizoen, published by a small company so probably not many people own it
- A Concise History of Scotland from Day One to Day Two, I tried to read this book once and didn't get far, it is also self published so probably not many people own it.

Which book did you rate the lowest
Since all the other questions are about the TBR I will follow Zaz and look which book has the lowest rating on my TBR.
It is a Dutch book Erken mij, every year we have a book week in The Netherlands where you get a free little book when you buy books. But this is never everyone's taste so they usually don't get a very high rating.

What's the longest book?
A Dance with Dragons (1125 pages), which I have planned to read this year :)

message 7: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
The Celtic Twilight by W B Yeats

The Racer by David Millar

Old City, New Rumours (no ratings at all!)

Gadsby, Five on Brexit Island and The Hydrogen Murder are my only one star ratings.

What's the longest book?
Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady by Samuel Richardson (1,534 pages!)

message 8: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?
The Prince of Mist

Serena since June 2013. Maybe I should read it soon or remove it

Store Malene with only 9 ratings

Du går ikke alene 3,04

What's the longest book?
The Count of Monte Cristo 1276 pages

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1635 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR? The Haunting of Hill House I just added it yesterday because it was mentioned in The Grownup

Which book has been on it the longest? Oddly The Bourne Supremacy I haven't read the first one so I don't know why the 2nd book is on my list and not the 1st. It's been on there since November 29, 2012. It's not usually my type of book to read. I should probably do it on audio.

Which book has the least number of ratings? The Plot To Kill The Pope 50 ratings

Which book has the lowest rating? The Smaller Evil 2.93

What's the longest book? Atlas Shrugged 1.168 pages

message 10: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited May 20, 2017 05:20AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Into the Water 5/13/17

We Tell Ourselves Stories in Order to Live: Collected Nonfiction 2/9/2012

Gumbo the Christmas Elf 0 ratings

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies DNF'd ( only book I have EVER done that to....)
On TBRGumbo the Christmas Elf rated 0

What's the longest book?
The Original Homeschooling Series 2,400pgs.

message 11: by Anastasia (last edited May 20, 2017 05:28AM) (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1354 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?
The Exorcist

Which book has been on it the longest?The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection

Which book has the least number of ratings?Ark with zero ratings

Which book is rated the lowest?
Ark- 0 ratings

Bottomland: A Novel Based on the Murder of Rosa Mary Dean in Franklin, Tennessee -2.91

What's the longest book?The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism with 2,624 pages

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) What's the most recent book added to your TBR?Stolen Innocence: A Mother's Fight for Justice

Which book has been on it the longest? Borderliners

Which book has the least number of ratings?STICK BONES REDUX with 0 ratings

Which book has the lowest rating?Over Sea, Under Stone with 0

What's the longest book?
The Paranormal 13 with 3500 pages

message 13: by Tracy (last edited May 20, 2017 06:28AM) (new)

Tracy | 117 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?
A Game of Ghosts
The Identicals
The Thirst by Jo Nesbo
Be Careful What You Wish For
Twelve Red Herrings
The Stolen Marriage
(all entered on May 16, 2017)

Song of the River-since May 4, 2013

The Stolen Marriage-which wont be published until October 2017 so understandably it has 0 and
Jack! by Tova Dean - I won this one from Goodreads, and have yet to read it. It's not even searchable to put in a link to it. It has 17 ratings.

Bellman & Black -- 3.04

What's the longest book?
Edge of Eternity-1098 pages

message 14: by J (last edited May 20, 2017 07:17AM) (new)

J Austill | 664 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?

Dawn by Yoshiki Tanaka

Dragonwriter: A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey and Pern by Todd J. McCaffrey, which is the first book I ever added to my TBR.

Homo Redneckus: On Being Not Qwhite in America by William Matthew McCarter with 4 reviews.

Which book is rated the lowest?

The Coming Race by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (3.23). I assume because it is so old (1871).

What's the longest book?

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami with 617 pages.

message 15: by Allison (last edited May 20, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Allison (allison302) What's the most recent book added to your TBR?
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared I added it last week.

Work Hard. Be Nice.: How Two Inspired Teachers Created the Most Promising Schools in America I added it in November 2013, when I was in graduate school.

Which book has the least number of ratings?Reclaim Your Creative Soul: The secrets to organizing your full-time life to make room for your craft with 2 reviews

Which book has the lowest rating?Rich and Pretty with a rating of 2.77

What's the longest book?
A Prayer for Owen Meany with 547. Still looking for my 600+ book

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad What's the most recent book added to your TBR? The Butterfly Storm

Which book has been on it the longest? The Demon Re-Born

Which book has the least number of ratings? The War of the Stories: Adventures in another dimension for young adult

Which book has the lowest rating?Chasing Darkness

What's the longest book? The Stand

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1053 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR? Final Girls - I added May 17, 2017

Which book has been on it the longest? Precious Thing - I added March of 2014.

Which book has the least number of ratings? Sourdough - it's not yet available so maybe that is why it only has 11 reviews

Which book has the lowest rating? I Am No One average rating 2.97

What's the longest book? A Little Life

message 18: by Kathy (last edited May 20, 2017 10:54AM) (new)

Kathy | 2361 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?
Yesterday, May 19, I added:
The Luminaries
The Bone People

W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton -- since Dec. 27, 2013.
(I'm waiting for all the books through Z to be published before I continue the series.)

Squirrel Pie (and other stories): Adventures in Food Across the Globe by Elisabeth Luard with 12 ratings.

The Lost Dog by Michelle de Kretser-- 3.00

What's the longest book?
Cecilia by Fanny Burney at 1,056 pages

message 19: by Aidan (new)

Aidan (missaidan) | 42 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?

The Raven King

City of Bones

Midnight Jewel with 56 ratings

Strangers in the Senate 2.7

What's the longest book?
Anna Karenina at 964 pages

message 20: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1064 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR? Kindred

Which book has been on it the longest? The Scorpio Races

Which book has the least number of ratings? Renegades (96), but it has not been published yet

Which book has the lowest rating? Truly Madly Guilty (3.5)

What's the longest book?The Wise Man's Fear (1000 pp)

message 21: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments What's the most recent book added to your TBR?

Los mejores cuentos de F Dostoievski by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Los mejores cuentos de F Dostoievski by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

El Ultimo Dragon by Tobias Grumm

What's the longest book?

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss