Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Carpet Makers” as Want to Read:
The Carpet Makers
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Carpet Makers

by
4.14  ·  Rating details ·  2,192 Ratings  ·  352 Reviews
Since the time of pre-history, carpetmakers tie intricate knots to form carpets for the court of the Emperor. These carpets are made from the hairs of wives and daughters; they are so detailed and fragile that each carpetmaker finishes only one single carpet in his entire lifetime.

This art descends from father to son, since the beginning of time itself.

But one day the empi
...more
Paperback, 297 pages
Published February 21st 2006 by Tor Books (first published May 5th 1995)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Carpet Makers, please sign up.

Popular Answered Questions

Alessandro Petrini One of best science fiction books of the last 20 years

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Carlex
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Lo que comenta todo el mundo: una obra maestra. Sin querer menospreciar otros subgéneros, estamos hablando de ciencia ficción con mayúsculas. En esta novela salen naves espaciales, e incluso alguna pistola de rayos, pero nada que ver con la idea tan arraigada que arrastra la ciencia ficción, esto es, space opera de mala calidad.

En mi opinión se trata de una ciencia ficción orientada al ser humano. Los cambios tecnológicos y del contexto futuro (la posibilidad de un imperio galáctico, etc.) son
...more
Pablo Bueno
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Todos los amantes de la ciencia ficción saben que, con frecuencia, algunas de las joyas que esconde el género no tratan sobre aventuras, sobre guerras espaciales o sobre la resistencia ante la invasión extraterrestre. A menudo, los escenarios futuristas o las posibilidades científicas son un pretexto para tratar los grandes temas; los mismos que toca a veces la literatura realista o, sin irnos muy lejos, las conversaciones entre buenos amigos en torno a un café: el amor, la desigualdad, el miedo ...more
Belcebon
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No necesité más que echar un vistazo a la sinopsis para lanzarme de cabeza. Ciencia ficción viejuna y una historia que engancha más que los nudos de los tejedores de alfombras. Está contada en capítulos donde el protagonista siempre es distinto, aunque habrá personajes que enlacen las historias entre sí. En la primera parte sobre todo, tienes la impresión de estar leyendo las historias de Sherezade. Además el final es muy redondo y se lee en un momento. ¿Qué más se puede pedir?

P.D: Gracias a Sar
...more
Rubén Vilaplana
Todo gira entorno al noble arte de hacer alfombras con cabello humano. ¿? .... y mucho más, y más, y más....

Increíble novela, no hay palabras para describir todas las sensaciones que he experimentado leyendo, pero cuidado si no dosificas se puede leer de un tirón. Sin duda para mí en el top ten de las mejores. Si eres amante de la cf no te la puedes perder.
Jokoloyo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Carpet Makers (TCM) has both good quality: a good concept and a very good execution. The concept is epic and deep, the writing execution is resembling the carpet weaving in the story itself.

(view spoiler)
...more
Leemaslibros
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Qué historia tan memorable. Salvo el estilo (normal pero nada destacable) todo es soberbio.
Shane Curran
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Carpet Makers is a well thought out, expansive sci-fi story that despite it's scope manages to deliver a simple morality tale about human nature during times of change.

It took me a few chapters to get used to the author's style. Each chapter seemed to start a new narrative, following a different group of characters, with few repeat appearances from previous characters or story-lines. The book could almost be read as a collection of short stories. A few chapters in I started to see the relati
...more
Sarah
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, sf
The Carpet Makers is constructed like a carpet, weaving narratives together to tell a story that is at once immense in scope and driven by attention to the tiniest detail. Each chapter is a short story focusing on a different character. No perspective is repeated, but themes and characters recur, as seen through the eyes of others. Often we encounter a character several chapters before his or her significance becomes apparent. The end result is a book that is satisfying as a whole, with several ...more
Lisa Vegan
From the beginning I thought this had to do with (view spoiler) and it does, but by the end I was thinking the story addressed (view spoiler) and so much more.

The first chapter was originally written as a short story, and it’s a good short story. The entire story is interesting, and I love how it folds
...more
Nikki
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has to get five stars from me because it's the first book in quite a while that I would've stayed up late into the night to finish, even if I was exhausted. From the first chapter, it weaves a compelling mystery and builds a whole new world. The writing itself is beautiful; the translation is excellent, with no sense of a gap between me and the text, which I often do get with translations. I think I'm going to have to parcel it up and send it on a round of my friends to read.

I'm not ac
...more
Javir11
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los tejedores de cabellos es una de esas historias donde lo importante es la trama y el mensaje que el autor nos quiere inculcar con ella.

Engancha bastante, sobre todo a partir de mitad del libro solo pensaba en descubrir el secreto que había detrás de las alfombras de cabellos.

La forma en que esta narrada es original. No hay un personaje protagonista como tal y en cada uno de los 17 capítulos disfrutaremos del punto de vista de 17 personajes distintos.

Con esto conseguimos una mayor amplitud de
...more
Kim
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: Theobroma
At first this seems like a simple, but unusual, story of a planet whose whole purpose is the creation of carpets made of hair to sell for their Emperor-God. The carpets are made from the hair of the carpet makers wives and daughters and will take their entire life to create just one. As the story unfolds you gradually learn all is not as it seems and something quite sinister is happening.

This was a mesmerising tale which kept me glued to the pages so much I read the whole book in a couple hours
...more
Bandinnelli Bandinnelli
Una historia apasionante, pero no puedo decir lo mejor porque es spoiler.
Muy recomendable, y no le pongo 5 estrellas porque el último cuarto me chirría un poco (eso sí, el final como tal, no)
Ryandake
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-good-shit
even better the second (or possibly the third) time around.

the novel is a series of interlinked short stories, more or less. this time around reading it i had the feeling it was a tapestry, altho possibly not made of women's hair.

that's what the carpet makers make: carpets out of women's hair. their wives' and subwives' hair. fear not, no women are harmed in the making of this carpet. well, not just for their hair, anyway.

the carpet makers work their art as honored members of their society. a ca
...more
S. Barker
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A veces me pregunto si tiene sentido añadir mi reseña a las de miles de otros. No sé hasta qué punto mis palabras animan o desaniman a nadie. A veces me queda la sensación de que no hay nada más que decir.

Esta historia hoy en día habría sido una trilogía, o peor aún, una novela río. Se habría alargado páginas y páginas, pero el mensaje habría sido el mismo, y el impacto de la historia en el lector mucho menor.

Hay quien afirma que George R. R. Martin maneja con soltura y gracia lo de escribir hi
...more
Phoenixfalls
This is the sort of science fiction that's perfect to hand to someone who says they never read science fiction -- sure, it's set in the future, and there are space ships, and we visit a couple of different planets in a vast interstellar empire, but that's ultimately just a slightly-more-exotic-than-usual setting for a story about some very human people whose lives touch because they each in some way illuminate the central mystery.

Each chapter is told from a different character's perspective, and
...more
Penny
Overall I definitely enjoyed this book although there were some aspects of it that I didn't like so much. The chapters jump around a bit, there wasn't much in the way of female characters who weren't defined by sex, and the reveal at the end came in a package I didn't find all that believable.

That said, the story that gets revealed was completely unexpected and goes to show what ultimate power can do. It isn't a pretty sight. I can't discuss the best aspect of the story without giving away the e
...more
Uve
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ciencia-ficci-n, 2017
4.5 Gran historia de la que pronto subiré una reseña más amplia. Hacia la parte final algunos elementos del tapiz no están entrelazados de la misma forma que en su inicio, y por ello no le he dado las cinco estrellas. Un libro que merece ser leído por todo amante del género.

Reseña disponible en --> https://miradasenlatadas.blogspot.com...
JoséManuel
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(4.5/5) Todo un descubrimiento,este es de esos libros a los que llego gracias a la comunidad de GR, de otra manera no creo que lo hubiera conocido. Y tras los agradecimientos diré que la historia me ha fascinado, la manera de ir hilando capítulos dejando atrás personajes, la ambientación y los olores de las alfombras, me faltó un poco de más desarrollo en la parte final, pero ya es gusto mío.
Cornapecha
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hay algo mágico en Los tejedores de cabellos, algo de historia clásica, con ese aire trágico, esa exageración descabellada, ese hablar de miles de años, esa forma de sugerir mucho más de lo que se cuenta. Un relato breve pero intenso, triste pero poderoso. De la humildad de los tejedores del desierto a la monstruosidad de los imperios que abarcan galaxias enteras.

Una historia sobre el ser humano, sobre sus ignorancias y sus convicciones, sobre el poder de la fe y la insondable oscuridad que hay
...more
Maree
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to say that The Alternate Worlds is just an awesome group to be reading books such as this with. This month, this book was taken apart almost chapter by chapter and commented on and discussed and I loved the thought and detail that went into the responses. It just means so much more than the 'oh I really liked it, it was a good book!' posts on some of the younger groups.

And...on to the review!

I really appreciated the structure of novel - each chapter was kind of like a short story in itse
...more
Lori
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend! There are quite a few twists and surprises that I didn't expect, and usually I'm pretty good at that.

We start off on one world with a inhibited society ruled by a never seen Emperor who has a complete religion and culture based on his godness and the society is only to serve him. Very restrictive and inhibitive revolving around the craftsmen who spend their entire lives to make hair carpets using the hair from their wives and daughters.

I was completely settled in to this one
...more
Juan
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha encantado. Un libro redondo de principio a fin.
Unai
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El titulo es extraño y tras el se esconde una historia de ciencia ficción que toma como punto de partida a las alfombras de cabellos, que dichos tejedores tardan toda la vida en confeccionar con los cabellos de sus esposas, concubinas e hijas. Es esta la historia de un momento concreto de un imperio galáctico que lleva en pie 250.000 años con un emperador que lleva miles de años gobernándolo.

Aparte del titulo, lo mas curioso es que esta narrado cada capitulo como diferentes puntos de vista de di
...more
Elchamaco
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia narrada mediante distintos relatos en las que se va desvelando el misterio de los tejedores de cabellos. Un cuento bastante chulo y no se hace largo.
Malapata
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro que va creciendo poco a poco, construyendo la narración a través de historias que, como las alfombras que están en su centro, se tejen hebra a hebra.

Construido a través de pequeñas narraciones sólo ligeramente engarzadas entre sí, que van creciendo desde lo particular a lo general, dejando que la información fluya poco a poco de manera que el lector no tenga nunca claro hacia donde le llevará la siguiente la historia, pero consiguiendo que todas las piezas encajen de manera natural.
Julie
This first caught my attention long ago purely because Orson Scott Card wrote the introduction (for all the man's flaws, he still occupied a very important role in my early sci fi consumption), and I'm so glad that it did: I must have first read this close to a decade ago, and it was so good that it left an indelible impression on me ever since. I was still loudly recommending it even ten years later. I carted my battle-worn copy of this book across three countries: from Norway to Vancouver, the ...more
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Eschbach is apparently very well-regarded in his native Germany, and has won awards in multiple European countries - but this is his first book to be translated into English and published here. If 'The Carpet Makers' is any indication of the quality of his other works, I hope that English editions of his other books are on the way!
The novel is formed in a series of vignettes or separate short stories - which can sometimes, I feel, be an awkward, clunky way of doing things - I've read 'novels' li
...more
Michael
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michael by: Kim
This book was a little weird; somewhat disjointed; it read almost like historical fiction but there was a heavy Science Fiction theme weaved into the story. Reminds me of the original Star Gate movie, mixing ancient (Middle Eastern) culture with a very strong Sci-Fi style. The novel starts off with what seems like a very basic story, but as you continue on it gets more complex and the world seems more sinister than expected.

The pre-historic carpet maker’s life seems a little weird, a tradition
...more
David Yoon
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A desiccated and dusty planet where carpet weavers spend their entire lives hunched over a loom, weaving a carpet made of hair drawn from their wives. It takes a lifetime to produce a single carpet which is sold to line the Emperor’s palace. The proceeds are passed to the son who will spend his life weaving his own carpet and so on through the generations.

In a single first chapter this entire system is outlined and explained with a beautifully strict economy of words. It’s tightly woven (sorry)
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
  • La Horde du Contrevent
  • The Man Who Ended History: A Documentary
  • Le Déchronologue
  • Axiomatic
  • Pandore abusée (L'Étoile de Pandore #1)
  • Janua vera
  • Collector
  • Le meraviglie del possibile: Antologia della Fantascienza
  • Mission Child
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • Les Portes d'Occident (Wang, #1)
  • Silently and Very Fast
  • Ilium: La rivolta (Ilium/Olympos, #2)
  • Aye, and Gomorrah: And Other Stories
  • Davy
  • The Dirdir (Planet of Adventure, #3)
  • Die Neuromancer-Trilogie
  • The Color of Distance
40381
Andreas Eschbach is a German writer who mostly writes science fiction. Even if some of his stories do not exactly fall into the SF genre, they usually feature elements of the fantastic.

Eschbach studied aerospace engineering at the University of Stuttgart and later worked as a software engineer. He has been writing since he was 12 years old. His first professional publication was the short story Do
...more
More about Andreas Eschbach...
“But shame is like a wound that is never exposed and therefore never heals.” 23 likes
“It only becomes art if it touches other people.” 14 likes
More quotes…