Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-thon #1 - You're Not Good Enough Book Tag

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
This sleepy mod rarely sees midnight so everyone is getting today's activity a little early :P

Rules
- Write 10 character names on slips of paper.

- Draw two names for each question.

- Choose which one better fits the question The other isn't "good enough.

Questions
1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?

2. You’ve been chosen for the Hunger Games, who would most likely volunteer in your place?

3. You’re stranded on an island. Which character would you sacrifice to engage in cannibalism?

4. You’re the next DC/Marvel superhero (with your own tv show of course), who is your sidekick?

5. You’re a manager of an Avocado admiring company, who would you fire for lack of communication skills?

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I chose 5 bad guys and 5 nice guys, this is going to be fun

1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving? Dobby the House Elf (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) or Cersei Lannister (A Game of Thrones)?
Definitely Cersei, although she probably would be ahead of me and kill me first ;)

2. You’ve been chosen for the Hunger Games, who would most likely volunteer in your place? Kvothe (The Name of the Wind) or Napoleon (yes, too much of War and Peace)?
Kvothe

3. You’re stranded on an island. Which character would you sacrifice to engage in cannibalism? Fitz (Assassin's Apprentice) or Sookie Stackhouse (Dead Until Dark)?
Sookie, because Fitz knows how to survive in the wild (and apparently she smells good haha)

4. You’re the next DC/Marvel superhero (with your own tv show of course), who is your sidekick? Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) or Hercule Poirot (Murder on the Orient Express)?
Hercule Poirot would make a nice intelligent side-kick

5. You’re a manager of an Avocado admiring company, who would you fire for lack of communication skills? Dracula or Frankenstein's monster?
Frankenstein's monster ;)

message 3: by Ali (new)

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments Oh my god this one is so fun!! Going to make my character list now!!

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 987 comments 1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?
Zero from the Passage Trilogy or Anne Shirley form Anne of Green Gables.

This is a no brainer - Kill Zero as he is a killing machine and Anne is a little girl.

2. You’ve been chosen for the Hunger Games, who would most likely volunteer in your place?

Britt-Marie from Britt Marie was here and Melanie from The Girl With All The Gifts

Well I think that Melanie is braver but I would have to be one of the people she liked.

3. You’re stranded on an island. Which character would you sacrifice to engage in cannibalism?

Mr. Penumbra from Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore or Chava from The Golem and the Jinni

Well if it was to be true cannibalism it would have to be Mr. Penumbra as Chava is a Golem.

4. You’re the next DC/Marvel superhero (with your own tv show of course), who is your sidekick?
Alex from The Female of the species or Ted from The Kind Worth Killing.

Alex is my only choice she is already one to go after the bad guy and knows how to kick ass.

5. You’re a manager of an Avocado admiring company, who would you fire for lack of communication skills?

Wade Watts form Ready Player One and Loki and Norse Mythology

Wade Watts is so stuck in the virtual world that he would most likely need to be fired for communication skills in the real world. Also Loki is a sly dog and probably would make me think he was the best employee ever.

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments haha Samantha eating poor Mr. Penumbra!

Loki would definitely trick you to give him a raise and the employee of the month even if it didn't exist haha

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 987 comments Sophie, I thought the same when I read your choice of Sookie - poor yummy fairy.

It is funny how some of the characters match perfect to the question. I mean how could you not want to kill Cersei and Frankenstein's communications skills are the worst.

message 7: by Peter (last edited May 17, 2017 11:23PM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments 1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?
Darrow (Red Rising trilogy) or Auri (The Slow Regard of Silent Things)

Soooo.... Obviously Darrow, but my chances of taking him out seem pretty slim. Also, there's totally more going on with Auri than meets the eye so my bet is she could hold her own quite well.

Lock Lamora (The Lies of Locke Lamora) or Inquisitor Glokta (The Blade Itself)

Well, they are both very shady characters and neither of them have very much fighting prowess. Locke is a thief and con artist and Glokta is a crippled torturer. Based on physical ability, at least Locke is capable at walking without the aid of a cane and although they are both morally grey characters, Locke tends to lean towards good while Glokta leans the other way. I guess Locke would be more likely of the two to volunteer, but I doubt either would.

Jake Epping (11/22/63) or Robert Langdon (The Da Vinci Code)

I don't know.... Jake? Langdon seems to be good at getting out of tricky situations so maybe he'd figure out how to get off the island...

Anton Gorodetsky (Night Watch) or Robert Neville (I Am Legend and Other Stories)

Definitely Anton Gorodetsky. He's a Higher Order Other (magician) and can enter and manipulate a parallel dimension.

Breq (Ancillary Justice) or Alan Grant (Jurassic Park)

Breq. Seeing as Breq is (view spoiler) it would definitely be her.

message 8: by Veronica (last edited May 18, 2017 12:00AM) (new)

Veronica | 802 comments Oooh this sounds like fun!

1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?
Rob Weasley(Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) or Ebenezer Scrooge (A Christmas Carol)

Rob, he is a wizard and could use his magic against me. Sceooge would be easier to take out after Ron had been immobilized.

Jo March(Little Women or Frodo Baggins (The Lord of the Rings)

I dont think either one would, but maybe Frodo would to be chivalrous for a woman.

Kinsey Milhone(A is for Alibi or Offred (The Handmaid's Tale
I would sacrifice Offred, as Kinsey is a kick ass detective and resourceful so she would be able to figure out how to get us off the island.

Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games) or Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice
Oooh this is hard. Katniss would kick anyone's butt but Elizabeth and I would get along very well. I think Katniss wins this round although she is more the hero than a mere sidekick.

Draco Malfoy (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) or Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings
I think Draco would be fired, as he usually is insulting everyone and trying to instigate fights.

message 9: by Marina H (last edited May 18, 2017 04:32AM) (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments 1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?
Atticus Finch or Harry Hole?
I don't really want to kill any of them, but for my own survival I think I would have to kill Harry first.

Tyrion Lannister or Mr. Darcy?
I'm can't imagine Mr. Darcy has the courage so Tyrion is my lifeline

Jay Gatsby or Anne Shirley?
That's a tough one! My first thought is Anne simple because i think she would drive me crazy if I was left alone with her for a long time

Loki or Lisbeth Salander?
They would both make a cool sidekick but I would go with Salander

Ove or Jon Snow?
Haha, they can both be pretty poor when it comes to communication. Both men of few words. I would probably fire Ove... No Jon.... No Ove... I can't fire any of them!!

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I love reading your answers! And yes Samantha, I laughed so much when I drew Frankenstein for the last question ;)

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) 1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?Shuya from Battle Royale or Aragon from The Lord of the Rings. I would have to say Aragon because Shuya just couldn't himself to kill anyone.

2. You’ve been chosen for the Hunger Games, who would most likely volunteer in your place? Harry from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone or Allie from The Notebook. Hmm, I think i'll go with Harry this time because he can attack from afar.

3. You’re stranded on an island. Which character would you sacrifice to engage in cannibalism? Sonny from The Son or Kinsey from she Sue Grafton books. Probably Sonny as he is a criminal.

4. You’re the next DC/Marvel superhero (with your own tv show of course), who is your sidekick? Amberle from The Talismans of Shannara or Jack from Robin Cook's medical thrillers. This is a tough one, Amberle is one tough girl that can kick ass, but Jack has the medical knowledge. I guess I would choose Jack though.

5. You’re a manager of an Avocado admiring company, who would you fire for lack of communication skills? Pippi from Pippi Longstocking or Vladimir from Dangerous Brains. The obvious choice for me is Vladimir because he doesn't talk much, where as Pippi never stops talking.

message 12: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (last edited May 18, 2017 01:22PM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables) or Cormoran Strike (The Cuckoo's Calling)

Definitely Cormoran! He was in the army and sounds like he'd be a tough enemy, despite his disability.

Katy Carr (What Katy Did) or Lisa Atwood (from the Saddle Club series)

Katy because she seems to put other people's needs before her own a lot so she'd probably volunteer first. And then probably last about ten minutes in the arena!

Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) or Thomas Cromwell (Wolf Hall)

Hilarious choice! Cromwell because I just don't think I'd be able to do that to Dumbledore.

Kim Clarke (A Brief History of Seven Killings) or Rick Deckard (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)

Deckard of course! That'd be awesome!

Rachel (from The Girl on the Train) or The Gruffalo

Rachel. And that's really saying something when she's in competition with a terrifying monster! ;-)

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments hahaha Rachel would be the worst employee ever!

message 14: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments 1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving? Elinor Dahwood (Sense and Sensibility) or Sherlock Holmes

Why, why?!!! It should be Sherlock. I don't think I would have problems later with Elinor.

Doctor Watson (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) or The Grinch (How the Grinch Stole Christmas!)

I think it would be the Doctor Watson ... however I would prefer that The Grinch were chosen for the Games.

3. You’re stranded on an island. Which character would you sacrifice to engage in cannibalism? Ebenezer Scrooge (A Christmas Carol) or Josephine March (Little Women)

It would be Jo! Ebenezer is just bones and I would be in need of meat!

4. You’re the next DC/Marvel superhero (with your own tv show of course), who is your sidekick? Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings) or Peeta Mellark (The Hunger Games)

This one is difficult, Gandalf is powerful, but Peeta is loyal . I think I would choose Peeta.

5. You’re a manager of an Avocado admiring company, who would you fire for lack of communication skills? I can't believe I got these two together: Harry Potter or Severus Snape (Harry Potter series)

I would fire Harry, not for lack of communications skills, but because I prefer Snape! I am the manager! :P

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2294 comments 1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?
Jonathan Strange (Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell) or Christina Olson (A Piece of the World)

Wow. What a pair! I'd have to kill Strange first since he knows the magic. Christina is tough mentally though.

Nimona (Nimona) or Richard Jury Vertigo 42)
Richard Jury because he just couldn't stop himself from helping another person.

Miss Marple (Agatha Christie books) or Bridget Jones (Bridget Jones's Diary)

I couldn't do anything awful to Miss Marple so it has to be Bridget.

Easy Rawlins (Devil in a Blue Dress) or Veronica Speedwell (A Curious Beginning)

I like Easy but Veronica would make a good sidekick because of her quick thinking and guts.

Kristin Lavrandsatter The Wreath) or Hercule Poirot (Agatha Christie mysteries)

Kristin for sure. Hercule Poirot is just so clear in his speaking and solving crimes.

message 16: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1593 comments Questions
Four Divergent or Scout To Kill a Mockingbird

Well I'd try to kill Four but I'm thinking I'm a goner....

Tris Divergentor Boo Radley To Kill a Mockingbird

Hmm could go with either but I'm thinking Tris would.

Jeanine Divergent or Cyra Carve the Mark

I'd sacrifice Jeanine because I can't stand her.

Percy The Lightning Thief or Ryzek Carve the Mark
Percy would definitely be my sidekick

Jem To Kill a Mockingbird or Heathcliff Wuthering Heights

I'm thinking Heathcliff

message 17: by Perri (last edited May 19, 2017 01:17PM) (new)

Perri | 782 comments Questions
1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving? Ender Ender's Gameor Bernadette Where'd You Go, Bernadette

For sure, Ender-that boy has moves!

2. You’ve been chosen for the Hunger Games, who would most likely volunteer in your place? Jack Reacher Killing Floorand others Clarice Starling The Silence of the Lambs

They're both pretty pragmatic. Maybe Clarice would have more sympathy. No, Jack would have confidence in beating the game and he'd smoke it

Gatsby (the Great) or Pippi Longstocking
Pippi -as younger she'd be more tender. Hey, you asked!

Dracula or The Grinch

Yuck. Well, maybe The Grinch can be transformed

Miss Peregrine
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children or Lisabeth Salander The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

For sure Lisabeth who's a terrible communicator

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 987 comments I am loving the answers to all the questions but think the ones on who to cannibalize make me laugh the most.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2703 comments I've actually put off participating in this one for a few days because I was a bit confused about how it works, but I think I've got it now.

My characters are: The Mad Hatter (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass, or Mr. Tumnus (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

I don't think either of these characters are particularly strong fighters, but I'd probably get rid of The Mad Hatter first because he's way too unpredictable.

My characters are: Jo March (Little Women) or Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre).

My first inclination was to say Jo because I thought she was more likely to want to do the right thing, but on the other hand, Mr. Rochester might volunteer to try to escape from his secrets. I think I'll stick with Jo though. Although now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure why replacing me would be "the right thing."

My characters are: Willy Wonka Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)

Probably Wonka. I don't think I could bring myself to kill Luna...although maybe Wonka will have some chocolate and candy stored up somewhere in his outfit to put off having to become cannibals.

My characters are: Cath (Fangirl) or Gale Hawthorne (The Hunger Games)

I have to go with Gale for this one. I pretty much have the same personality as Cath as it is, so I don't think two of us would be a very good mix.

My characters are: Violet Baudelaire (The Bad Beginning) or Skeeter (The Help)

Wow, tough choice since I love both of these characters and I think both would actually have pretty good communication skills. Of the two, considering Skeeter is an author...I guess I'd have to fire Violet.

message 20: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad 1. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?
clark Kent from Superman for All Seasons or Sookie Stackhouse Dead Until Dark
I would kill off sookie who can go wrong with superman

Rachel from The Girl on the Train or Pippi Longstocking Pippi Longstocking
I would guess Pippi would be the better choice

four from Divergent or damon Salvatore The Awakening
tough one as both would be hard to kill but would have to pick four for this one as damon is immortal

Elena gilbert from The Awakening or Jake epping from 11/22/63 for this one I would pick Jake

Dracula Dracula or Kinsey Milhone A is for Alibi
I would pick dracula for this one as I don't think his communication skills are oral