Start by marking “The Gruffalo” as Want to Read:
The Gruffalo

The Gruffalo

(Gruffalo)

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  24,404 ratings  ·  1,364 reviews
Published August 1st 1999 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published March 23rd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Gruffalo, please sign up.
Pam Miller Don't cower to fear, but be brave and face your enemy, who may also has a weakness and not be nearly as smart. Or, the adult version: fake it 'til you…moreDon't cower to fear, but be brave and face your enemy, who may also has a weakness and not be nearly as smart. Or, the adult version: fake it 'til you make it.(less)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,354 books — 1,646 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Best children's books EVER
1,501 books — 1,631 voters

More lists with this book...

·  24,404 ratings  ·  1,364 reviews

Patrick
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My boy brought this to me a couple days ago, asking if I'd read it to him.

I did, and it's quickly become a new favorite.

It's not terribly complex, or long, or ethically enriching. But then again, not all books need to be.

What this book does have is a marvelously tight and deceptively effortless rhyme and meter. I say "deceptively" here because I know that sort of thing doesn't come easily. Despite the fact that the book is wonderful fun to read, I know the author sweat blood making the language
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Brains beat brawns every time. The Gruffalo teaches children to be patient and understanding. Whilst not necessarily advocating the cunning manipulation that the mouse utilises, it does suggest that there is more to people than their outward appearance. Just because someone may appear “scary” doesn’t mean they’re a bad person, and innocent seeming things can be the worse. Judge only on actions not how one appears.
Bionic Jean
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bionic Jean by: Tracey
Julia Donaldson’s stories never fail to delight, and this picture book of The Gruffalo is one of the very best. First published in 1999, the scary gruffalo has become one of the world’s best-loved monsters, starring in films and shows galore, and inspiring a huge amount of merchandise. This is the original picture book which started it all, and which has itself won many awards, been translated into over fifty languages, and has been voted the UK’s favourite bedtime story.

It begins with a simple
Calista
Foxes are supposed to be cunning, but it is the mouse who is cunning and manipulative. He or She manipulated all the predators fears against them to stay safe. That's pretty smart. I guess that's how you survive. I love that even the Gruffalo had fears. I guess being a mouse, the mouse has had to learn to live with fear.

It's an amazing story about bravery and finding the weakness of scary looking, bigger obstacles in life. Find that fear and use it against you.

Does the mouse offer a seminar? I
Fran
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
I love, love, love this book. I'm a fan of stories where a little mousy guy gets its way against the most terrible odds, and this one it's just perfect in that and many other ways.

The little mouse, our protagonist, is smart and full of grit but he's also lucky and sweet and it's so cool to see him getting out of a bad situation just to run into a worst one to then manage to get out of that as well.

The illustrations are lovely, the rhymes are funny, the story it's interesting--as shown by my niec
James
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another delightful rhyming story from the pen of Julia Donaldson with brilliant accompanying illustrations by Axel Scheffler.

Donaldson and Scheffler are a formidable team (although not quite rivalling that of Dahl and Blake) and this is undoubtedly one of their classics.

The Gruffalo is a great character and creation loved by adults and children alike. Although well adapted for television and stage versions - nothing can compare to the original story and illustrations.
Mischenko
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Gruffalo, by Julia Donaldson is a cute rhyming story about a mouse and a gruffalo.

We loved the combination of the sly little mouse and gullible gruffalo.

"My favorite food!" the gruffalo said.
"You'll taste good on a slice of bread!"
"Good?" said the mouse. "Don't call me good!
I'm the scariest creature in this deep dark wood.
Just walk behind me and soon you'll see,
everyone is afraid of me."

The illustrations are detailed and interesting. Overall, its a charming little story children will en
Zaynab Modaykhan
This book tells the tale of a scary Gruffalo,
is he real, is he pretend, nobody knows.
A sly little mouse describes him so true,
other animals listen intently, their ears fixed like glue.
Through the deep dark woods does little mouse go,
announcing his meeting with the fierce gruffalo.
His aim is to put off predators leering in the woods,
who all want to eat little mouse, they surely would.
A fox comes along, thinking of his meal for the day,
little mouse is quick to react, as he starts to say,
"Those
Jessica
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own
Delightful!

I've heard of this book, and my kids have seen the cartoon on Netflix, yet we hadn't read the book until recently, when my sister gave it to my youngest. We love Donaldson's Room on the Broom, and this is more of the same. Tight, elegant rhymes, a fun story, and great pictures. Now we need The Gruffalo's Child!
Emma
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have just bought this and all the toys to go with it for my little nephew. Hope he's going to like it as much as I did!
Bettie☯

Description: This is a rhyming story of a mouse and a monster. Little mouse goes for a walk in a dangerous forest. To scare off his enemies he invents tales of a fantastical creature called the Gruffalo. So imagine his surprise when he meets the real Gruffalo.

4* The Stick Man
5* The Gruffalo
Sophia Triad
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is a totally awesome book. My children read it at school and they really loved it. And of course we bought the book and we saw the movie.
And then we read the book again again and again :-)

It is a clever story about a little mouse and a scary (not really) monster, the Gruffalo. The intelligent sourceful little mouse manipulated the bigger animals who wanted to eat him. He made them think that he is scarier than Gruffalo. Thus, he should not be eaten.

The little mouse though that Gruffalo is a
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
This is a wonderful book for kids! I loved the illustrations, and the story is so smart. Would make a great gift or a nice first book to someone who's just learning how to read.
آیت معروفی
اولین بار انیمیشنش را دیدم. انیمیشن کوتاهی بود. داستان به نظرم حیرت انگیز بود. داستان را شب برای پسرم از حفظ گفتم. قدم به قدم. همانطوری که توی انیمیشن دیده بودم. پلک نمی زد. وقتی موش قصه به گروفالوی خیالی رسید داشت سکته می کرد:)
وقتی دیدم کانون ترجمهاش کرده خریدمش. پریشبها برایش خواندم و جالب اینکه هنوز برایش هیجان انگیز بود. تجربهی خنده و تعجب و کمی ترس را همزمان به بچهها دادن کار سختی است. از موج کتابها و اسباب بازیها و کارتها و چیزهای دیگری که توی وب در موردش هست معلومه که محبوب بچههاست.
Anahita
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ha ha ha. It was really great. this is my new favorite children’s book. :D
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
Despite the lead character a rather scary looking monster, this is a fun bedtime read geared at younger children. The story is told through rhyme, as we meet various animals who cross paths with the giant Gruffalo.

With beautifully unique illustrations, this is a perfect gift for young readers.
نسرين غندورة
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
قصة طريفة عن فأر ذكي. استطاع أن يتغلب على كل الحيونات التي حاولت افتراسه بحيله الذكية.

أجمل ما في القصة أنها تشجع الأطفال على حل المشاكل بطرق مبتكرة بدلا من الهروب منها.
Chinara Ahmadova
Hələ ki, 2019-cu ilin ən çox sevilən kitablarından biridi Vaqif üçün. Dəfələrlə sevə-sevə oxudur.

Balaca bic siçanın meşə əhalisini ələ salıb Qraffalonu uydurmasını, sonra Qraffalonu da ələ salıb onu aldatmasını oxuyuruq. Sağ qalmaq üçün qorxunc və yekə olmaq lazım deyil :)
Clouds
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Popular kids books are powerful vehicles of merchandise.

Take The Hungry Caterpillar (as just one example) - you can buy the book, the cardboard book, the cloth book, the colouring book, the pop-up book, the touch-and-feel book, the finger-puppet book, the audio book, the baby 'development toy', the plushy toy, the 'big apple' toy, the play floor tiles, the bedspread, the toothbrush, the body-wash, the bubble-bath, the playroom stickers, the height chart, the calendar, the garden water toy, the
Mehzabein
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Julia Donaldson does an excellent job on writing this creative story book. The first time I read the story, I initially felt it was a very long read for children as I thought it was long myself and repetitive but upon reading it a second, third time, I realised I had not fully appreciated how good the storybook was. Complete with rhyme and repitition it captured my attention and the children to whom I was reading to. The use of animals was a good idea as children were able to point out different ...more
Fiona Hill
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read this book since my childhood, loved it!

Great opportunities to look at rhyme and rhythm with children. The repetitive line of 'there's no such thing as Gruffalo' would be lovely for EAL children to join in too. You could also explore Donaldson's use of alliteration with children. Children could create more animals for the mouse to meet and their own rhymes for them. In science, children could look at the different habitats in which the animals live in.

Good morals about not having t
Kurtlu
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cocuk-edebiyatı
hikaye çok eğlenceli. julia donaldson (zogi'de olduğu gibi)korku öğeleri olarak kullanılan figürlerin aslında ne kadar sevimli olabileceğini çocuklara göstermeye çalışmış. elimdeki baskısı ingilizce olmasına rağmen ne zaman hadi kitap okuyalım desem oğlum raftan bunu ve devamı olan Gruffalo's child'ı seçip getiriyor. türkçesini bulabilecekler için adı "tostoraman" baskısı tükendiği için ben bulamadım. arayana iyi şanslar
*edit: yayazula adıyla türkçe yeni baskısı yapıldı. artık rahatlıkla ulaşıla
Rana Heshmati
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
شاید بیربط باشه، اما این کتاب من رو یاد یک ترس بزرگم انداخت. اکثر اوقات فانتزی میسازم. به زبان دیگه، توهم میزنم و هی با خودم فکر میکنم. بعد هی میگم، نه واقعی نیست. واقعی نیست. فکرای توست. و ترس اینکه واقعا به واقعیت بپیوندن،... ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
A wonderful tale and movie about dealing with bullies. A must for kids!
Sophie
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best childrens book - I loved reading it to my son as well as the other books by her. He's getting older now so I cant read it as much :(
Penny
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-mg
Read 18/01/17
Melki
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tiny mouse uses his wits to avoid becoming someone's lunch and in doing so, becomes king of the deep, dark forest.
ADORABLE!
Ahmet Barut
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Gruffalo, by Julia Donaldson

The Gruffalo is about a cheeky and confident little mouse who defends himself from an array of predators, whilst walking through ‘a deep dark wood’. He defends himself through words rather than violence. He does this by outsmarting the naïve predators by claiming that he is about to meet a ‘Gruffalo’, a mythical beast. The mouse frightens the predators by giving them vivid descriptions of the beast - ironically, the mouse does meet the 'Gruffalo', and outwits him
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
In the big dark woods, a mouse is going for a walk when he meets a fox that, thinking the mouse looks like a good meal, tries to lure him back to his den. The mouse is an intelligent little thing, and explains to the fox that he can't come because he's having lunch with a gruffalo. The fox has never heard of a gruffalo before, so the mouse starts to describe a terrible monster who likes to eat roasted fox. The fox, terrified, runs away. The mouse is molested by an owl next, and then a snake, and ...more
Patrick Coman
The Gruffalo is a children’s book by author Julia Donaldson. It tells the story of a mouse’s walk in the woods. On his walk the mouse encounters any dangerous animals such as a snake, a fox and an owl. Each animal he meets invites them back to their house where they clearly intend to eat him. The mouse is very cunning and he declines each animals invitation by telling them that he is going for dinner at his friend, the Gruffalo’s house. He tells each animal that they are the Gruffalo’s favourite ...more
book reveiw 4 7 Oct 15, 2018 01:17AM
  • Slinky Malinki
  • Peek-a-Boo
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato
  • Penguin
  • Owl Babies
  • Winnie the Witch
  • Peace At Last
  • Where Is the Green Sheep?
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho

Gruffalo (3 books)