The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Elizabeth Bennet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,197 (1197 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 02:58PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Elizabeth Bennet

Team Members:
♦ Abbie (Captain)
♦ Nichole (Captain)
♦ Jose
♦ Aricia
♦ Berit
♦ Carrie
♦ Not THAT Jennifer

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:40PM) (new)

“Everyone loves a conspiracy.”
― Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 06:09PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Jose (new)

Jose (josemagical) | 23 comments UNO Pixie wrote: "r"
r

message 5: by Abbie (last edited Jan 25, 2017 03:52PM) (new)

message 6: by Abbie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 05:20PM) (new)

Abbie four each of "Wild" and "Wild Draw Four" cards.

◈◈◈Perks UNO cards◈◈◈
O (Zero)
Read a book that:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

1 (One)
Read a book that:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O
- is book 1 in a series

2 (Two)
Read a book that:
- has a 2 or Two in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T
- is book 2 in a series

3 (Three)
Read a book that:
- has a 3 or Three in the title
- has a title starting with H
- has an author first name or surname starts with H
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with H
- is set in a place name starting with H
- is book 3 in a series

4 (Four)
Read a book that:
- has a 4 or Four in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F
- is book 4 in a series

5 (Five)
Read a book that:
- has a 5 or Five in the title
- has a title starting with I
- has an author first name or surname starts with I
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with I
- is set in a place name starting with I
- is book 5 in a series

6 (Six)
Read a book that:
- has a 6 or Six in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S
- is book 6 in a series

7 (Seven)
Read a book that:
- has a 7 or Seven in the title
- has a title starting with V
- has an author first name or surname starts with V
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with V
- is set in a place name starting with V
- is book 7 in a series

8 (Eight)
Read a book that:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E
- is book 8 in a series

9 (Nine)
Read a book that:
- has a 9 or Nine in the title
- has a title starting with N
- has an author first name or surname starts with N
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with N
- is set in a place name starting with N
- is book 9 in a series

Skip
Read a book that:
- has a title starting with K or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with K or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with K or P
- is set in a place name starting with K or P
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Draw 2
Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

Reverse
One member of your team must read a book another team member has already read

Wild
Read a book that can fit any of the requirements for cards 0-9

Wild draw four
Read any book!

◈◈◈Points◈◈◈
For each book read to match a 0-9 card, the team gets 20 points
For each book read to match a Skip or Reverse, the team gets 25 points
For each book read to match a wild or Wild draw four card the team gets 30 points
For each hand completed, the team gets a bonus 15 points

message 7: by Abbie (last edited Jan 22, 2017 06:45PM) (new)

Abbie Hey Teamies!!

I am located in the Great state of Texas. I have been here about three years now, before that I was in New York.

I run an online group here on GR and a Face to Face group here in TX.

This is my second time playing UNO, and hoping that I will have a great time with you all.

I am an avid reader, I read a lot of Mystery/Thrillers, Horror & True Crime. However I will read just about anythimg in order to win a challenge. I have an awesome job where I get to listen to my audio, and then my breaks, gym, and home time I read read my regular books.

My Shelf this year is UNO-2017

message 8: by Jose (new)

Jose (josemagical) | 23 comments Abbie wrote: "Hey Teamies!!

I am located in the Great state of Texas. I have been here about three years now, before that I was in New York.

I run an online group here on GR and a Face to Face group here in TX..."

Res

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) Hello team, I think I know most of you, I also run the same group on good reads as Abbie... well technically it is 2 groups :-) I live in Southern California, and I think the drought is over it has been raining for the past week, and I am over it! I am a single mom of three kids, my oldest are off at college, so it is just me and my 14-year-old at home, and our cats, love to read, love all these challenges, looking forward to this :-)

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 22, 2017 10:08PM) (new)

Jennifer | 92 comments Hey team! Is it cool to start posting in here? I know a few of you guys already from AMMP!

I'm located in a small town on the west coast of Canada. I haven't played UNO before but figured I'd give it a shot. I read a lot of fantasy, sci-fi, a little bit of romance, and then a bunch of random stuff to fit challenges. I'm semi-competitive when it comes to these things but not like some people...

My shelf is UNO 2017. Will the whole team have access to the spreadsheet or just Jose and Abbie?

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) Jennifer it is pretty easy, I didn't play last year, but I did the year before, and I hope they only have access to the spreadsheets, because as most of you know I'm allergic to spreadsheets.... ;-)

message 12: by Eldarwen (last edited Jan 23, 2017 01:02AM) (new)

Eldarwen | 3937 comments Hiiiiiii :-))

EDA: Yeah, I know, very inventive grand entrance.

message 13: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Eldarwen wrote: "Hiiiiiii :-))

EDA: Yeah, I know, very inventive grand entrance."

Oohhh, very.

message 14: by Abbie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:04AM) (new)

Abbie Not THAT Jennifer wrote: "Hey team! Is it cool to start posting in here? I know a few of you guys already from AMMP!

I'm located in a small town on the west coast of Canada. I haven't played UNO before but figured I'd giv..."

Jennifer you can view the spreadsheet, but I think only Joe and I will be able to edit.

message 15: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Berit, dont forget to link your uno shelf. Joe & I will need that.

message 16: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments

Is this where I'm supposed to be? What now? Can I start reading books yet? HAHA, I'm kidding :) I just like to start my day off being obnoxious!

message 17: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments Hi Team!

This is my first time playing UNO so this should be fun! I live in Oklahoma City, just down the street from Abbie or would that be up the street? Anyways, I know some of you from other groups already which is awesome. I find it ironic that Abbie landed on this team since she loathes Romance :P I, however, love it and this is one of my favorite books. Let the games begin! In just a little over a week that is...

My shelf: Uno

message 18: by Carrie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 06:23AM) (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 143 comments Hello team

I'm Carrie, I haven't played UNO before, I haven't done a team challenge in sometime, and I'm excited to do so.

I've never actually read Pride and Prejudice before, I'm going to make a stab and say it's not a requirement for the challenge to read the team book, right? I believe I own a copy.

My Shelf: UNO

message 19: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Whoot-Whoot Nichole is in the house!!!

And yes...I was disappointed with the team name, but I decided to go Elizabeth Bennett in Pride, Prejudice and Zombies...more my style.

message 20: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Carrie wrote: "Hello team

I'm Carrie, I haven't played UNO before, I haven't done a team challenge in sometime, and I'm excited to do so.

I've never actually read Emma before, I'm going to make a stab and say ..."

Welcome Carrie!

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) I have never read this book either, and even though I like romance I'm not really into classics, so I probably won't be anytime soon :-)
And I will post the link to my shelf sometime later today, when I'm not on the app :-)

message 22: by Abbie (new)

Abbie My sister actually named my daughter after one of the sisters!

Lydia

message 23: by Abbie (new)

Abbie I meant she named her daughter after one of the sisters.

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) I was confused, because I thought your daughter had a different name :-)

Here is the link to my shelf UNO2017

message 25: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Ya, mine Stephanie Meyers stole. And everyone always ask me If I named her after twilight....that's hard since My daughter was born before the Book was published....or maybe I was just physic.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 92 comments Jane Austen is my cousins wife's absolute favourite. She named her daughter Gemma because Emma was her favourite work and then she named her son Austin. I asked her if it was because her favourite author was Jane Austen and she said "If you tell your cousin I'll kill you! He hasn't caught on yet!" LOL!

I've tried to read Pride and Prejudice but I just can't get into it.

message 27: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments Abbie wrote: "My sister actually named my daughter after one of the sisters!

Lydia"

Why Lydia? Did she just like that name or was there a special connection to the character? I'm only asking because Lydia was a twit. Yes, I believe that word is used to describe her in the book :) *shh, don't tell her I said that, lol*

message 28: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments I'm not into classics but for some reason I really like Jane Austen books and have read them all. Some of them a few times. But I understand they're not for everyone. I'll just go sit in the corner by myself and daydream of gowns, and country estates (castles) and attending Balls. And maybe Darcy. Nah, he wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy.

message 29: by Abbie (new)

Abbie I think she just liked the name.

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) It is interesting how the older names are making a comeback....

message 31: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Well its funny, because My sisters name is Florence, and she has hated it because it is so old fashioned...and then she goes and does the same thing to her daughter....lol She named her Lydia Jane

message 32: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments Well that makes more sense then :P Not that I'm judging! I have no room to speak. I'm very awkward!

description

message 33: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Its now even more awkard since that was the last post for the last three and ahlaf hours!lol

message 34: by Jose (new)

Jose (josemagical) | 23 comments Hello everyone my name is Jose I'm from Mexico.
I'm an English teacher there, I like to read a lot when I have the time to do it.
I love fantasy, YA, Classic, Horror, Thriller, Science Fiction, Romance or any book that its interesting

message 35: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments Abbie wrote: "Its now even more awkard since that was the last post for the last three and ahlaf hours!lol"

Yup. It's what I do best!

message 36: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments Hi Jose!

message 37: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Hey everyone, here is Hand 1
Reverse

I added a "cheat sheet" here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Hand One has to be finished before we can earn any points for any other hand. So I think we may want to do a bit a planning, cause that reverse is a bit hard coming right in, as nothing will be read yet.

So one member will have to read a book and finish it before the person doing the reverse finishes. So one player and the reverse player may want to plan a book they both want to read.

message 38: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Joe wrote: "Hello everyone my name is Jose I'm from Mexico.
I'm an English teacher there, I like to read a lot when I have the time to do it.
I love fantasy, YA, Classic, Horror, Thriller, Science Fiction, Rom..."

Hey Jose!

What grade do you teach?

message 39: by Jose (new)

Jose (josemagical) | 23 comments Abbie wrote: "Joe wrote: "Hello everyone my name is Jose I'm from Mexico.
I love fantasy, YA, Classic, Horror, Thriller, Science ..."

I teach 7, 8 and 9 grade. Its a challenge but I like my job even if at the end of the day I'm tired

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) Do you prefer joe or Jose?

Also we can't start these books until after February 1? Nicole you read romance right? Maybe we could find something and one of us could read it first, not sure which of us is a quicker reader, I'm just thinking that's usually a quick read for me anyways :-) unless you want in on this Abbie? LOL

message 41: by Jose (new)

Jose (josemagical) | 23 comments Berit☀️✨ wrote: "Do you prefer joe or Jose?

Also we can't start these books until after February 1? Nicole you read romance right? Maybe we could find something and one of us could read it first, not sure which of..."

I prefer Joe :D lol hehehe

I can read a book in about one or three days max

message 42: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Romance????I think I will pass.

And yes, we cannot start until the first.

I saw that reverse, and figure we should put our heads together so we can get pass Hand 1 fairly quickly.

message 43: by Jose (new)

Jose (josemagical) | 23 comments Abbie wrote: "Romance????I think I will pass.

I saw that reverse, and figure we should put our heads together so we can get pass Hand 1 fairly quickly."

hehehe. Fantasy maybe?

message 44: by Abbie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 05:59PM) (new)

Abbie Joe wrote: "Abbie wrote: "Joe wrote: "Hello everyone my name is Jose I'm from Mexico.
I love fantasy, YA, Classic, Horror, Thri..."

I can imagine it would be a challenge, My daughter is in 9th grade, and I have had a houseful of teen many times....very rough. Have to give you props for doing that every day. I had thought about teaching back in the day, but I dont have the patience for it.

message 45: by Jose (new)

Jose (josemagical) | 23 comments Abbie wrote: "Joe wrote: "Abbie wrote: "Joe wrote: "Hello everyone my name is Jose I'm from Mexico.
I love fantasy, YA, Classic, ..."

I don't have a lot of patience either, but its a good job when the students behave hehehehe lol.

But its very tiring because of the number of students I have in the classroom. I have 5 groups of 7 grade with 40 students each.
5 groups of 8 grade with 45 each
and one group of 9th grade with 50 students.

message 46: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Joe wrote: "Abbie wrote: "Romance????I think I will pass.

I saw that reverse, and figure we should put our heads together so we can get pass Hand 1 fairly quickly."
..."

I will do Fantasy before Romance...but not my cup of tea either. I used to live it...but I guess I grew out of it.

I think Nichole is a Romance reader. So it might be good for Berit & Nichole to come up with one. Berit is super fast, and can get hers done and move on quickly, and Nichole could do the reverse?

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) Those are very big class sizes, I think on average in California it is around 30 students...

message 48: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments Wow! That is a whole lot of students! And teenagers to boot. Aye, aye, aye!

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) I prefer 50 teenagers to 50 kindergartners, that is for sure....

message 50: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Lots of Pre-teens & Teens!

Here is Texas. it's usually around 25 a class...My daughter takes the advanced classes, which tend to be smaller in size.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24