Start by marking “Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)” as Want to Read:
Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)

Scandalous Desires

(Maiden Lane #3)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  14,005 ratings  ·  1,106 reviews
Can a pirate learn that the only true treasure lies in a woman's heart?

Widowed Silence Hollingbrook is impoverished, lovely, and kind--and nine months ago she made a horrible mistake. She went to a river pirate for help in saving her husband and in the process made a bargain that cost her her marriage. That night wounded her so terribly that she hides in the foundling home
Published October 18th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scandalous Desires, please sign up.
BigComfyChairBookReviews not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but on the chance it is not or that someone else has the same question:
Some people are more visual than oth…more
Some people are more visual than others. Pics or gifs can sometimes express feelings or impressions better than words. I use pop culture images when I want to share what the book or characters remind me of. If I see a pic of a cat napping or the Ashley Olsen eye roll I instantly know what the reviewer thought of the book without having to read their full review. As you can see most of the top "liked" reviews use images, so it stands to reason that the majority appreciates the images. I am sorry if they irritate you though. (less)
Jessica Barton I just think when it comes to Elizabeth Hoyt's books, it's better if you read them in order. I started in the middle HUGE mistake. …moreI just think when it comes to Elizabeth Hoyt's books, it's better if you read them in order. I started in the middle HUGE mistake. (less)

·  14,005 ratings  ·  1,106 reviews

Start your review of Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
Baba
5 stars. Reread November 2015. Review edited November 24, 2015.

photo oie_NsdeoZDs6lo7_zpsi2raimut.png
 photo oie_4RzmFMIzeXdt_zpscsibbgeh.png

"That’s me girl.“ He brushed his lips over her forehead, breathing the words. “That’s me love.”

So much tension. Banter. Vulnerability. Emotions. Tenderness. Sensuality. Love.

London, April 1738
The most notorious river pirate, Charming Mickey O’Connor, has taken the widow, Silence Hollingbrook, and the little Mary Darling to his palace to protect them. He fears that the villain, Charly Grady, the Vicar of Whitechapel, will harm
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical/Georgian Romance

Wow...just...WOW! A+mazing! Brava Ms. Hoyt, you have truly outdone yourself and exceeded expectations with this spectacular romance!

I wanted to write a full review, but life has been crazy and stressful this past week, leaving me with too little time and insufficient mental capacity. So I’ll just do a bit of gushing about this magnificent read instead.

I’m a huge Elizabeth Hoyt fan, and I’ve enjoyed every book in the Maiden Lane series thus far. So it’s no su
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading by: EmBibliophile
3.75 Stars

Could’ve done without Silence calling it a penis too many times for comfort cuz that just felt too clinical and funny and not at all sexy. 🙈 Though in retrospect, I guess she was staying true to her character. That being she was kinda prudish, never was adventurous with her late husband, but she had an active curious mind.

Anyway, I also could’ve done without the additional POV of minor characters I didn’t give a single eff about. It was like reading Heir of Fire, and then Manon Blackbe
EmBibliophile
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
If the rest of the series is anything like this book I believe that I would be stuck binge reading the whole series these coming days because this. was. So. good.

So we’ve got,

a once poor now a rich dressed in silk and jewellery PIRATE.

one year ago he left his daughter on the front door of the heroine’s for her “protection”. Now his enemies know about his daughter, so he kidnapped her and brought her to his home to protect her himself.

A widowed heroine who one year ago was humiliated beca
Alp
This was exceptionally wonderful. I LOVED IT!

Anyone who knows me knows that I’m very picky when it comes to HR because it’s typically more miss than hit for me. But Scandalous Desires absolutely obliterated all my high expectations!

Elizabeth Hoyt did this to me again! She’s a masterful storyteller, weaving her words into an unforgettable historical-romance story. I'd read this book non-stop for hours and savored every word on every single page of it. I really love her writing style.

In this book,
Jilly
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite one of the series so far because..Sexy Pirate!

We met this sexy beast in book one and I've been dying for this story. "Charming" Micky, the notorious river pirate, sits upon a throne in a gold-covered room filled with treasure and receives petitioners and others like a king. Silence (our girl), met up with him in book one after he had stolen her husband's ship's cargo. He made a deal with her to give it back, and it ruined her life and marriage. So, she's not in the pirate-wenches fan
Juliana Philippa
4.5 stars. Ever since my Elizabeth Hoyt obsession began this past summer I have been anxiously anticipating this book. Mickey's character is one of my favorite types of heroes and I loved his pairing with Silence. From the moment I learned of it, I was reminded of the Derek Craven-Sara Fielding matchup in Lisa Kleypas’ Dreaming of You , which is one of my favorite HRs.

Our Hero. Mickey is so lovable and definitely one of my favorite heroes. I think it's sometimes difficult to have villain-
Mo
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mickey, ye would charm the knickers off a nun!! LOL. OK, being Irish, I have a bit of a problem with Irish characters and especially OTT Irish characters with OTT Irish accents. WE. DO. NOT. TALK. LIKE. FUCKING. LEPRECHAUNS.

But I sort of said to myself, he is based back in the 18th century so let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Charmin' Mickey.

He sure was charming.

"I need to know that I'm more to you than a woman in your bed."

Oh God, he was so powerful. She watched him.

"Why must ye b
Choko
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
*** 3.44 ***

A buddy read with the fans of Historical Romance at the MacHalos! We love us some Gentlemen Rogues!!!
ren ♡
I'm a hoe for pirate romances. rtc ...more
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣

How lovely was that!

A pirate obsessed with a young widow, takes his time for about a year to get the woman within his grasp. There's just no resisting a bad boy with a (secret) heart of gold. Lots of sex, lots of snarky banter... you know: a very relaxing read.
description

And then, there's the prison sex scene...
(view spoiler)
That'
KatLynne
Feb 2015 - Did a buddy read with a friend and enjoyed just as much the 2nd time around:).

5+++ Stars I loved most everything about this book and Charming Mickey O'Conner is a hero you'll not want to miss!

Thanks to my GR friends Shawna, Denise & Lisa's review for bringing this amazing book to my attention. This set me on course to read this series and it's one of the best I've read this year.

Due to so many great reviews already posted I think I'll just give a peek at a few remarkable attributes o
Jonetta
River pirate Mickey O'Connor resurfaces in this story, this time when he's faced with a threat that affects Silence Hollingbrook, now widowed, and baby Mary Darling. What follows puts them together for an extended time, revealing their true selves to one another.

I loved the "dance" Mickey and Silence orchestrated throughout the story, their witty dialogue eventually being replaced with honest and sincere revelations. When I began the story, I was unsure if I could warm to Mickey so I was very p
Melanie A. *mostly on hiatus*
5 STARS
"Sweet Silence. I may be named for an archangel, but yer the one who shines with a clean, pure light."
Elizabeth Hoyt delivers once again!

Honestly, I was a little nervous going into this one. The scene in book 1 where Silence is forced to walk down the street in disgrace will be FOREVER etched in my mind, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to forgive Charming Mickey O'Connor for his abominably cruel actions.

I shouldn't have worried though. This amazing author had me eating out of
Karen
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS

Well this series just keeps getting better and better! Elizabeth Hoyt has really captured my interest in these characters and the growing intrigue in St. Giles is just too much to resist.

This story involves the recently widowed Silence Hollingbrook, and the notoriously arrogant and wicked pirate Charming Mickey O'Connor. The same ruthless man who only a year ago had cost her not only the love and respect of her dear husband, but also her entire reputation and good standing in the communi
Lisa Kay

★★★★★ & a Wow! Loved every word of it. It is so neat when a book lives up to my hopes and desires. Charming Mickey and Silence have had an unusual history in the Maiden Lane series, with plenty of aching hurt ー the kind that goes bone-deep ー and it is so neat to see the fabulous Ms. Hoyt pull this one off. The pacing is spot-on, the mystery palpable, and their HEA believable. Amazing secondary characters too! I really don’t like it when an author uses the epilogue to set up the next volume;
Al George
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was good, it was enjoyable, but it was not great.

good

Setting / Time / Genre: Georgian England

Length: 393 pages.

Series: Yes, and I have read several. This would be my second favorite of the four I have read.

Sexy times: Yes. Slightly more scandalous than your average historical romance, but nothing over the top.

Plan on reading more by the author: Hells to the yesses. There are several more in the series.

Synopsis in one sentence or slightly more: Heroine is attached to the hero's child, hero kid
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 I love you with my Black Heart Stars

When the end of the Wheel of Time gets you down it is time to binge read a lot of HR and smut. Continuing on my journey to purge the book hangover of that series.

This is a little bit like a beauty and the beast retelling in a lot of ways. I was super excited for Chaming Mickey and then he started out as such a freaking asshole. Like more than the normal assholedness of most HR books. But he is apparently really sexy.

description

I wanted this story from the minute I en
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
This book far exceeded my expectations!! Great story and the Charming Mickey/Silence love scenes are so HOT!!! The identity of the Ghost of St Giles is revealed as well. (My guess was way out). Altogether, this will probably be the best book of the year for me.

My Charming Mickey

My Silence

FULL REVIEW

When I discovered that the publishing date for SCANDALOUS DESIRES, the third book in Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series, had been brought forward to October 18, I was jumping with joy, so eager was I
Vintage
Re-read

Charming black hearted, Black Irish Mickey the pirate basically kidnaps the sweet innocent Silence only after ruining her reputation, destroying her marriage and breaking her heart. She only accepts staying at his tacky and luxurious house because she adores the plot moppet Mary Darling, a chip off the old Black Irish block.

Cliches they are abounding, begorrah and thanks be praised, as Elizabeth Hoyt plays them up for a heated romance with the ultimate bad boy and good girl heroine. Forge
Luana ☆
May 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha, that end! I knew it!!!

Okay, this book was nice. I don't know whats about the big bad guy that makes them so interesting. I can't believe how he planned to have the heroine in his clutches. Very devilish and smart of him. Good for him, he knows what he wants and he does all in his power, despite a silly thing like moral and honor, to get what he wants.

This book is the contrast of a prude and a sinner and as soon as the relationship starts to develop the book start to have a lot of action...
Zurks
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
What the actual fuck?

I'm forcing myself to keep going with this. The 'hero' Mickey is anything but with an ego so big I'm surprised he can walk and chunks of the plot seem forced.

Edit: I'm at page 145, this is the first time I've disliked a book so much I felt the need to review. May the force be with me.
Edit2: p.161. Okay that was the strangest self-pleasuring scene I've ever read...and then she watched him? Am I reading the same book as everyone here?!
Edit3: predictable in that the pirate guy
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
I'm seriously on a Elizabeth Hoyt obsession right now. This woman can write no wrongs! This book was amazing! The last few chapters had me on the edge of my seat! It's 1am and I could not put this book down until I finished it!

Mickey is in my top 5 favorite heros. I loved how well written the story was. The romance started from an unusual place, Silence hated Mickey at first, but it blossomed into something beautiful! Hoyt sure knows how to write a character. I loved seeing Mickey turn from sin
WhiskeyintheJar
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1700s, historical, series
She, Silence Hollingbrook, meek widow of no particular means, had just faced down Charming Mickey O'Connor, the most feared pirate in London.

I was looking forward to this couple because of how "good" Silence and how "bad" Mickey was set-up portrayed; I'm fond of supposed opposites like this, a'la Devil in Winter. Their portrayals ended up being a bit more heavy handed than I like, though. Silence became a bit annoying with her somewhat dry personality and Mickey started to wear thin with hi
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
Pirate lord, Charming Mickey, take meeeeee!!!! *cries*
Jill
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it

Although I was possibly expecting a little more from the actual story, overall Scandalous Desires is worthy of all the high ratings and accolades. The plot, the characters, the writing were all as you would expect from Elizabeth Hoyt, one of the top writers of historical romance.

There were a few plot holes, and towards the end of the story the baby, Mary Darling (Silence's ward) seemed to disappear. Which is a shame since she really was as central to the plot as Silence, our heroine.

And now for
Jen
Another awesome reread for me!!! No time to do a review..so busy with the holidays; plus my little grandson has been very sick. So between hospital, and caring for him not much time at all...But still adoring this series and have moved right on to book four!!
Katie(babs)
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Hoyt has written the must read historical romance of the year. Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3) is beyond perfect from beginning to end. Scandalous Desire will most likely end up being counted as one of my all-time favorite romances because Elizabeth makes the relationship between the hero and heroine work so well when it shouldn’t. “Charming” Mickey O’Connor will become a much beloved hero, so much so that he’s on par with Derek Craven from Lisa Kleypas’s classic novel, Dreaming of ...more
Mandi
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have fallen in love with a pirate.

We have seen glimpses of "Charming" Mickey O'Connor throughout the first two books of Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series. And we have, of course, witnessed Silence Hollingbrook sacrifice herself to Mickey for one night to save her husband from charges he stole cargo from one of Mickey's ships. On that fateful night, Mickey didn't touch Silence, but when she returned home to her husband, all trust was lost, and he soon died.

Now Silence, who with her brother Wi
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: October 18, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Hachette Book Group
Imprint: Forever
Author’s Website: http://elizabethhoyt.com/
My Source for This Book: ARC Gift from the Publisher
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 3, Maiden Lane series
Series Best Read In Order: Yes
Steam Level: Steamy

*SPOILER WARNING* Official Blurb and Review both contain spoilers for previous novels in the series.

Silence Hollingbrook is a

• What I Did for a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • The Hunter (Victorian Rebels, #2)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • The Duke (Victorian Rebels, #4)
  • A Dark and Stormy Knight (Victorian Rebels, #7; Goode Girls, #1)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo (Victorian Rebels, #6)
See top shelves…
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.

Maiden Lane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)