The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > And the Winners are - Oct / Nov 2016 Group Read - Authors whose Last Name starts with 'F'

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Egads! October is already here. This month you'll be nominating mysteries/crime fiction that were written by authors whose last name begins with the letter 'F'. There are a number of great series and standalone novels that fall into this category.

Authors we've read as a group before are okay to nominate, but please make sure we haven't read the particular book. My net post will list the specific books we're already read.

NOW -- for the usual stuff:

1. If your nomination wins the poll vote, you will become the de facto discussion leader. Do NOT nominate a book if you do not wish to do this.

2. When a book gets to the poll, please please please -- if you don't really want to read it, don't vote for it.

3. This is not the place for authors to promote their own work.

4. If the book is in a series, it might be wise to start with book #1 rather than somewhere mid-series.

Let the nominations begin!

message 3: by Tom (last edited Oct 04, 2016 06:07PM) (new)

Tom Mathews | 977 comments I would have suggested Dust and Shadows but, since it has been read already, I nominate Hell at the Breech by Tom Franklin. I've read several of his books and have never been disappointed.

message 4: by Bill, Co-Moderator (last edited Oct 10, 2016 11:09AM) (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Nominations for your update -

1. Hell at the Breech by Tom Franklin, nominated by Tom
2. Plain Murder by C.S. Forester, nominated by Bill
3. Blood From Stone by Frances Fyfield, nominated by Paula
4. The Clerk's Tale by Margaret Frazer nominated by Celeste
5. Break In by Dick Francis nominated by Susanna
6. Final Jeopardy by Linda Fairstein nominated by Natalie
7. Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin nominated by Barbara
8. The Trespasser by Tana French nominated by Suzy
9. The Girl Who Lied by Sue Fortin nominated by Rosemary

message 5: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "I would have suggested Dust and Shadows but, since it has been read already, I nominate Hell at the Breech by Tom Franklin. I've read several of his books and have nev..."

It does look interesting, Tom

message 6: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
I'm going to nominate Plain Murder by C.S. Forester Plain Murder by C.S. Forester.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (workingmemory) | 4 comments I recommend another Tom Franklin novel, Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter.

message 9: by Celeste (new)

Celeste McGoogan I nominate The Clerk's Tale by Margaret Frazer.

message 10: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Jamie wrote: "I recommend another Tom Franklin novel, Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter."

My bad, Jamie. I didn't see this book on our group read bookshelf when I checked originally. We've already done this one. Do you have another nomination?

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 58 comments I would like to nominate Final Jeopardy Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1) by Linda Fairstein by Linda Fairstein.

message 14: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 652 comments I nominate The Trespasser. I'm excited to read the new Tana French and would love to discuss.

message 15: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2 comments The Girl Who Lied by Sue Fortin

message 16: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Another little while left for nominations. I'll put the poll up tonight or tomorrow.

message 17: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments I 2nd break in by Dick Francis to co-host with Suzanna. just re-read this two book duo... enjoyed greatly

message 18: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
The poll is open until midnight Pacific time on the 14th and can be found here.. https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

I hope you cast your vote.. :)

message 19: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
The votes have been tallied and the two books chosen for the Oct/ Nov 2016 Group read are - *drum roll*

The Trespasser by Tana French, moderator Suzy, and

The Girl Who Lied by Sue Fortin, moderator Rosemary.

Congratulations. I'll set the threads up later today.

message 20: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 652 comments Oh, I'm excited to hear what everyone thinks about the latest Tana French! I won't be able to start it for a week or so, but will pose some questions in the thread.

message 21: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 44 comments Suzy wrote: "Oh, I'm excited to hear what everyone thinks about the latest Tana French! I won't be able to start it for a week or so, but will pose some questions in the thread."
Hi Suzy, it's a little pricey to download in UK, however as I've never read anything by Tana French I will add the author to my tbr list.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments Think it only came out in hardback on 22nd September here in the U.K. So hasn't been out long at all.

message 23: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "Think it only came out in hardback on 22nd September here in the U.K. So hasn't been out long at all."

That's on me, I'm afraid. When I checked the book, it indicated it had been released in all formats, but I never thought that might only be in the US.

message 24: by SherryRose (last edited Oct 15, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

SherryRose | 926 comments I'm surprised that it's already on Overdrive in the U. S. You would think it would be easier to get in the UK. Could it be in your library? Ours has it in written and overdrive ebook form and overdrive audio.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments My OCD wouldn't let me read it anyway, as it's listed as #6 in a series I haven't even started.

message 26: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 44 comments Hey am sure many in the group will enjoy. It's one to put on the radar for us in UK. Looking forward to the group's comments, great comments will encourage me to buy if the price reduces.

message 27: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 926 comments Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "My OCD wouldn't let me read it anyway, as it's listed as #6 in a series I haven't even started."

Charlotte, every one of the books are stand alone. I know it's supposed to be a series but it really isn't.

message 28: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 652 comments Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "My OCD wouldn't let me read it anyway, as it's listed as #6 in a series I haven't even started."

I agree with Sherry, Charlotte. This is not really a series that builds on each other, but stand-alone books that are loosely connected by The Dublin Murder Squad. You wouldn't miss anything by reading any of her books out of order.

message 29: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 652 comments Since French is an Irish author, I'm surprised that this isn't readily available in the UK. It was just released here in the States on Oct 4 in all formats. Maybe I was a little premature in suggesting it for a group read.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments I appreciate what you say about reading out of order - but my OCD really won't let me.

Have fun with the group read.

message 31: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 652 comments Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "I appreciate what you say about reading out of order - but my OCD really won't let me.

Have fun with the group read."

Well, you can't go wrong with In the Woods, the one that started it all!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments Thank you Suzy, I think that's already on my TBR (which never gets any shorter)...

message 33: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 926 comments I agree Suzy. In the Woods is fantastic!

message 34: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 652 comments If you're joining in on the conversation for The Trespasser, please port over to the discussion.