Start by marking “The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)” as Want to Read:
The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)

The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  41,132 Ratings  ·  4,741 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Tana French is “required reading for anyone who appreciates tough, unflinching intelligence and ingenious plotting” (The New York Times). She “inspires cultic devotion in readers” (The New Yorker) and is “the most important crime novelist to emerge in the past 10 years” (Washington Post).

“Atmospheric and unputdownable.” —People

In bestsell
Published October 4th 2016 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about The Trespasser, please sign up.
sublimosa Just finished it, can't quite say I loved it but it was a fantastic experience. It did take me a bit to get into as Antoinette is a deeply negative…moreJust finished it, can't quite say I loved it but it was a fantastic experience. It did take me a bit to get into as Antoinette is a deeply negative character. I finally started liking her in chapter 13. Stellar writing, complex and compelling. Reading her books and finishing is like coming out of the movie theater into daylight-you have to readjust to the real world.(less)
Mary Ann You can, but I don't recommend it. Each book's central protagonist is a significant character in the previous book in the series. The experience is…moreYou can, but I don't recommend it. Each book's central protagonist is a significant character in the previous book in the series. The experience is much richer if you read them in order.(less)

Emily May
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tana French is just fantastic.

You know, I actually have very little author loyalty. By that I mean I can easily dislike a book by an author I have previously loved, and vice versa - a second or third chance can lead to a new favourite. But at this point, I feel completely safe going into Tana French's novels. I settle down to read them with such faith in the author because she is so consistently good. For me, I don't have to wonder whether this one will be good, or that one will be good, because
karen
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best mystery/thriller category 2016!

my (very one-sided) love affair with tana french continues. to me, each book in this (loosely connected) series has been better than the one before. however, The Secret Place was a little bit of a hiccup for me in terms of this oft-expressed declaration. it was definitely not better than Broken Harbor (which might be my all-time favorite) - the teenspeak got to me a bit and (view spoiler)
Julie
The Trespasser by Tana French is a 2016 Viking publication.

Sophisticated, breathlessly paced, and absolutely riveting!

Antoinette Conway and her partner Steve Moran are tossed a case involving a young woman named Aislinn, whose body was found after a punch to the face caused her to fall and hit her head, killing her.

Initially believing they’ve been assigned yet another routine case, they soon find themselves burdened with another, more seasoned detective, called in to help them work the case.
Susanne Strong
5 stars! (I would give it 10 if I could!)

This is, by far, Tana French's best novel. She drew me in - captured every ounce of me - every fiber of my being and wouldn't let go till I read the very last sentence. Breathless. Heart in my chest. Unable to concentrate on anything but this for days. Work?: An interruption, a bother. Eating? As if. This. Consumed. Me.

French perfects the Irish dialect, her prose is smart and witty. Clever. Extremely funny. I admit that I couldn’t help myself here. I can
Diane S ☔
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back to the Dublin murder squad and a second showing of Detective Antoinette Conway. It seems, however, that I somehow or another neglected to read The Secret Place, so for me this was my introduction to this character. Convinced the entire murder squad is out to do her in, force her out, she has a giant chip on her shoulder. Her partner, seems for most of the book to be a milquetoast, happy to support and follow. A young woman is found dead and the easiest solution doesn't sit well with the two ...more
Dan Schwent
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books, 2016
When a pretty young woman winds up murdered, detectives Conway and Moran catch the case. Her boyfriend looks like a slam-dunk for it but why are they being rushed to book him? And why does Conway think she's met the vic before? Can Conway and Moran get the killer behind bars before the case eats them alive?

Antoinette Conway, second banana from The Secret Place takes center stage in this one. Conway, the odd (wo)man out on the Dublin Murder Squad, trusts no one and suspects everyone. From her tor
Carol.
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes police procedurals or character driven stories
What does a star rating mean? Does it mean this is a work of greatness, that deserves to be read by every generation? That each word is empathetically chosen,* each sentence crafted, each paragraph placed with an eye to flow? That through metaphor, symbolism and theme it exposes the reader to some kind of truth? That it inspires a passionate response? That at this moment, I loved it? That it made me happy?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many stars I give The Trespasser. It wrung me
Elyse
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Tana French's very first book, "In The Woods", one of my favorite characters was named Rob Ryan. I'm clear I'm not alone with a special soft spot for Ryan. For one thing...he was the narrator. His partner was a woman named Cassie Maddox. They were a great duo --- but what was so impressive was that Tana was so good at writing a 'male voice' --you'd swear a man wrote it. In her next book, "The Likeness", Cassie Maddox becomes the narrator-( it took me several pages to get use to a female narra ...more
Luffy
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book somewhat despite the usual hard-boiled approach to writing that French takes. I guess my rating is 3.5. This book is like the window pane to a chic shop. An ultra-cleaned pane where you can see through very well, but you're aware of the glass all the time.

I guess the author's take on death is what drove me to read this book quickly. I paused reading for some days, but still it's a page turner. I loved the ability of the book to be readable despite the fact that I didn't read an
Matt
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
While my February binge-read of Tana French has reached its end, these mysteries remain some of the best novels I have read in a long while. They pull key aspects of police procedurals with a dash of Irish charm and leave the reader with a sense of completion, after a drawn-out story and systematic solution. Picking up a few months after The Secret Place, French turns the focus onto Detective Antoinette Conway, who came from a single-parent home and whose mixed-race background left her feeling o ...more
James Thane
This is an excellent police procedural and, to my mind, Tana French's best book yet. At its center is Detective Antoinette Conway who is new to the Dublin Murder Squad and who has gotten a very cool reception. Many of her new mates actively dislike her; she's subjected to continued harassment, and she's assigned a lot of crap cases.

The pattern seems to be continuing one morning when she and her partner, Stephen Moran, are assigned a new case that appears to be open and shut. An attractive young
Frances
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5* The Trespasser is an in depth story with considerable detail on police procedural while attempting to solve a murder. Detective Antoinette Conway has been assigned a case along with her partner Steve, which could easily be just a domestic dispute or as Conway is hoping, a full blown serial killer on the loose; something she can really sink her teeth into. She has become quite paranoid lately in the department as other squad members pull mean pranks and are leaking sensitive case details she ...more
Linda
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
All you Tana French fans out there, I'm late to the party. Yes, "The Trespasser" is my introduction to The Dublin Murder Squad Series.

The Sue Grafton alphabet series is as close to a detective novel as I've gotten. Actually, you could say that "The Trespasser" does not fit into any genre that I usually read. So, in many ways, reading it has been an adventure for me. Am I glad I journeyed down a new road? Yes.

Ms. French's plot was very well written. It was like sitting in front of my TV, seeing e
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
More of a 3.5 star for me, and I'm clearly in the minority here. Another solid installment in French's Dublin Murder Squad series; while it was a good read it wasn't my favorite, mainly due to my inability to connect with Antoinette Conway. The mystery was well done and I would still highly recommend to fans of the series. My rating might have been higher had I picked this up at a different time, and that's on me. Still a huge fan and am eagerly anticipating the next in the series! More thoughts ...more
L.A. Starks
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tana French is so much at the top of her game I could rate this book six or seven stars. The Trespasser is her best yet, in a career of superb books.

Her ear for dialogue is pitch-perfect. Her protagonist is a tough, unapologetic detective to whom we could listen forever.

The case illustrates loyalty, joy in job (way too rare in books), suspense, the need for and danger of living inside one's head, and character trajectory scenes that sparkle in unexpected ways.

The Trespasser will make readers hop
Brenda
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed all of Tana French's previous books, and I enjoyed this one, too! This book stars Antoinette Conway and her partner Steve Moran, who were previously featured in The Secret Place. This time, Conway is the lead detective.

A young woman is found dead in her home. Evidence isn't really pointing in any particular direction. Conway and Moran come up with multiple theories, and it seems like they are being pushed toward one by a third detective, Breslin, who was also assigned to the case.

Co
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
May 11, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold
Finally! Hearing so much greatness about this author, and from what I've read so far it's easy to see why!
*fingers X'd*
Taryn
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Antoinette Conway had always dreamed of being on the murder squad, but she's burnt out after two years of unchallenging domestic cases and merciless harassment from her own squad mates. One morning, the gaffer hands her and her partner Stephen Moran the case of twenty-six-year-old murder victim Aislinn Murray. There's outside pressure to charge the victim's boyfriend and wrap up the case quickly, but not all the pieces are fitting together. It has all the attributes of a lover's spat gone wrong, ...more
Meredith
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Dozens and dozens of people, they just keep coming, and every single one of their heads is crammed with stories they believe and stories they want to believe and stories someone else has made them believe…”

The Trespasser is about the stories that we create. We sometimes believe in these stories so much that they become our truths. When we get wrapped up in these stories, we fail to see the cracks and dangers, blurring the lines between fantasy and reality.

When she was a child, Antoin
Joe Valdez
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Trish
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel in the Tana French series about Irish murder detective Antoinette Conway is universally loved and considered among her best in a long line of terrific mystery novels. Why? There is little action in this novel. It is a novel of psychologies and pathologies.

The writing brings us deeply into the internal politics of a murder squad and expresses the difficulty of a woman operating in a rough environment hung with grisly soul-destroying murders. The male camaraderie inside the squad means
Gary
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 6th book in the Dublin Murder Squad series by author Tana French but they can honestly be read as stand alone's and in any order.
I have already read the previous 5 books in the series and thoroughly enjoyed them so it was no real surprise that yet again I was in awe of Tana French. I knew very early on that I was going to like this book, the characters are exceptionally developed and the plot expertly paced, feeding you glimpses of the truth and more than a few red herrings.
This nove
Lyn
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Grand.

Readers of mysteries and observers of crimes and interviews have witnessed some brilliant interviews between a detective / prosecutor / cross examiner and a suspect over the course of time. The classic example is the confrontation between Raskolnikov and Porfiry in Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment. The witness stand drama between Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men also comes to mind. There have been several 60 Minutes interviews also that have captured an audience and caused
Dorie
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am ashamed to admit that this is my first Tana French novel. I have heard and read such great things about her and so I jumped at the chance to read and review “The Trespasser”.

At 449 pages this is not a quick read, but at no time did I think there was any part of the story that should or could be shortened. Ms. French’s characters are very well described and I loved getting to know Antoinette Conway, the female detective in an otherwise male dominated department. She is the only detective tha
Emma
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
While i've enjoyed a few of Tana French's books before, I hadn't been blown away till I read this one. It is just so beautifully crafted that it must be considered part of the new, more literary crime fiction hitting the market right now. The first time you meet Antoinette Conway, you might doubt this. She's... how do I put it... real? Not afraid to speak her mind. A little bit of an attitude, maybe? But endlessly interesting and someone you want to work with to find out whodunnit, as a reader a ...more
Tatiana
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
(view spoiler)

Another winner from Tana French.
Diane
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.

Tana French has been my go-to author when I was stuck in a reading rut, and now that I've finished the latest novel in her Dublin Murder Squad series, I'm feeling a bit adrift. I was so caught up in the story of Detective Antoinette Conway and her partner Stephen that I didn't want "The Trespasser" to end.

Besides the actual murder case the pair are trying to solve — which had so many good twists and turns that I stayed up late to finish this book and find out what happened —
Ginger
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Another great book for the Dublin Murder Squad series!

The Trespasser is the 6th book in this series and I was captivated from the start. The murder case, the characters and overall feel of this book had me sucked in from the beginning.

The main detective characters of Antoinette Conway and Stephen Moran were complex, unique and had their own personalities.
Antoinette was a tough woman who didn’t pull any punches when it came to the sexism she encountered in the Murder Detective Unit. The harassmen
Ashley
It’s almost ridiculous how easy she makes it look, writing a book this good. I don’t even know what to say anymore about her books. They are all just so, so good. And the way she jumps from character to character each book gives her room to play around with different structures and themes, and yet still stay within the framework of a murder mystery novel.

I love murder mystery novels, but I don’t love these books because of the mysteries (although I don’t think her style would work as well in any
Liz
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I love Antoinette Conway. She is a great detective and I love her attitude. She is a feminist and doesn't put up with any grief from the rest of the detectives. She has a temper that she fights to keep under control. She's assigned the shite cases, mostly domestics. And the latest case doesn't appear any different. In today’s world, it's easy to think women are accepted in any job they want. But as Antoinette has found out, there's a difference between being able to get a job and being accepted.
  • A Great Reckoning (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #12)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • Garden of Lamentations
  • Lethal White (Cormoran Strike, #4)
  • Hag-Seed
  • A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)
  • The Wrong Side of Goodbye (Harry Bosch, #19; Harry Bosch Universe, #28)
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent, #8)
  • Commonwealth
  • Rise the Dark (Mark Novak, #2)
  • Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8)
  • When the Music's Over (Inspector Banks, #23)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)
  • Arrowood
  • A Gentleman in Moscow
  • Nutshell
  • Spectacle (Menagerie, #2)
  • Untitled (A Resurrection of Magic, #3)
Tana French grew up in Ireland, Italy, the US and Malawi, and has lived in Dublin since 1990. She trained as a professional actress at Trinity College, Dublin, and has worked in theater, film and voice-over.

www.facebook.com/tanafrench
More about Tana French

Dublin Murder Squad (6 books)
  • In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1)
  • The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
  • Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3)
  • Broken Harbour (Dublin Murder Squad, #4)
  • The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Mystic River
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Hard Goodbye (Frank Miller's Sin City, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • The Dinner
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)
  • The Secret in Their Eyes
  • Snow Falling on Cedars
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Absolute Power
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Instinct (previously published as Murder Games)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“No one needs a relationship. What you need is the basic cop-on to figure that out, in the face of all the media bullshit screaming that you're nothing on your own and you're a dangerous freak if you disagree. The truth is, if you don't exist without someone else, you don't exist at all. And that doesn't just go for romance. I love my ma, I love my friends, I love the bones of them. If any of them wanted me to donate a kidney or crack a few heads, I'd do it, no questions asked. And if they all waved good-bye and walked out of my life tomorrow, I'd still be the same person I am today.” 22 likes
“I’m amazed this guy manages to get out of bed in the morning without working himself into a panic attack over the chance that he might trip on the bath mat and stab himself through the eye socket with his toothbrush and be left with a permanent twitch that’ll ruin his chances of landing an airplane safely if the pilot has a heart attack and doom hundreds to a fiery death.” 17 likes