Start by marking “Break In (Kit Fielding, #1)” as Want to Read:
Break In (Kit Fielding, #1)

Break In

(Kit Fielding #1)

Steeplechase jockey Christmas "Kit" Fielding has had more than his share of close calls both on and off the course. But trouble hits close to home when a grudge between his family and his sister's in-laws turns into a blood feud.
Published January 4th 2005 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published September 24th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Break In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Break In

Vinaya
Yes, I love Dick Francis. What's not to like?!

There are fast horses...

Photobucket

and hot men!

Photobucket
Umm... I don't think that was exactly the jockey I was looking for, but what the hell! Eye Candy!

Anyway, the Kit Fielding novels are probably my favorite of all Francis' books. Kit Fielding is a champion jockey with minor telepathic talent and a great affinity for horses. When his twin sister approaches him for help regarding some false accusations in a tabloid about her husband's training stables, Kit becomes invo
MTK
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Γνώρισα τα αστυνομικά μυθιστορήματα του Ντικ Φράνσις όταν έμεινα στην Αγγλία για ένα εξάμηνο ως φοιτήτρια και τώρα τα ξαναδιαβάζω (συνήθως παράλληλα με άλλα βιβλία). Έχουν μια πρωτοτυπία, ιδιαίτερα για Έλληνα αναγνώστη, γιατί ο συγγραφέας ήταν πρώην τζόκει και διαδραματίζονται στο κόσμο των αγγλικών ιπποδρομιών, που για μένα τουλάχιστον είναι τόσο ξένος όσο και η Μέση Γη του Τόλκιν. Δεν πρόκειται για λογοτεχνικά αριστουργήματα, άσε που πλέον είναι μάλλον παρωχημένα (το συγκεκριμένο πρέπει να γρά ...more
Sunita
I started this in audio and finished an ebook version. It made a nice break from longer and more intellectually demanding books. I read it ages ago but remembered nothing, so it felt like a fresh read.

Champion steeplechase jockey Kit Fielding comes to the aid of his twin sister, Holly, and her husband, Bobby, when they are targeted by unknown people who want to destroy their horse training business. Bobby and Holly are members of horse-racing families who have been bitter rivals for centuries.
Harry
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What is there to say about Dick Francis? As I think about all of his books (yes, this review covers all of his books, and yes I've read them all) I think about a moral ethical hero, steeped in intelligence and goodness embroiled in evil machinations within British horse racing society - either directly or indirectly. The heroes aren't always horse jockies, they can be film producers, or involve heroes engaged in peripheral professions that somehow always touch the horse racing world.

But more tha
Trina
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trotted out Dick Francis’ Break In to get in the mood for the Triple Crown at Belmont this weekend. Perfect book to re-read if you like horse racing and crime stories:) Kit Fielding remains a perfect hero - modest & unassuming yet braver & smarter than the rest of the field, whether it’s as a championship jockey or an amateur detective. In this “1st Kit Fielding mystery” (back when I first read it, it was only the one), he’s quick to figure out who’s harming his brother in law and whethe ...more
Francis
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I bought a mystery and I was cheated!

I was reading this book, really enjoying myself, when about page 100 or so I noticed, nobody's been murdered? Why this is pretty clever I thought, holding off a murder scene more than halfway through a book. Well ..then I'm about three quarters through this book and I'm trying to enjoy it, but now I'm worried about when the murder is going to happen and I'm thinking he's pretty good, cause I still don't have a clue bout when it's going to happen or to whom?

T
✨Susan✨
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dick Frances writes good, clean, horse stories that have a bit of suspense and always include a good mystery. When an untrue social flogging threatens a honest couple with financial ruin the wife's brother, who is a steeplechase rider for the wealthy, gets involved and tries to find out the motive behind this fraud.
Bethel
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one and love Kit, Christmas Fielding and his twin Holly! Born on Christmas day. Great read
Kwoomac
Typical Dick Francis protagonist. Kit Fielding is a steeplechase jockey. He was raised by his ornery grandfather after his parents died suddenly. One difference- he has a twin sister to whom he is very close. In their childhood, they had a kind of telepathy, able to communicate without words. My sister and I had this when we were younger. We never spoke full sentences. Did you? Yes. Should I? Is that? We’d show up places wearing basically the same outfit. We both dyed our hair red on a whim the ...more
Lasairfiona Smith
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lasairfiona by: Mom
This is one of Dick Francis' best. Kit Fielding is a great character, a steeplechase jockey (where the horses jump rather than run on a flat course) who has a strong will and a touch of telepathy. The plot has something new and interesting on every page, from a romance to falls to near murder experiences to a long run blood feud (most certainly not in that order).

This being popcorn, you shouldn't expect a Great Work of Fiction. However, it is a great read. Easy on the eyes (the edition I have ha
caty
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carol
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading a good Dick Francis novel. In this one, I really enjoyed the family dynamic that I don't remember reading with his before. They are pretty clean, the language isn't too bad, and not a lot of sex.... Sometimes I even reread the books, because it's like being with a friend you haven't seen in several years. I really enjoy the characters he uses, and also enjoy the series he writes about too. I'm not a gambler, but I really enjoy watching them live, as well as on screen. Ther ...more
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, re-read
Kit Fielding, jockey extraordinaire and occasional telepath, saves his sister and brother-in-law from malicious gossip and associated financial ruin. Dear Dick Francis, I heart you. Also, I heart Christmas Fielding. Also, I heart all your books, and I'm pretty sure I've sequentially hearted every one of your heroes. Also, I don't heart horses, but you make me heart them for 300 pages at a time. I am truly contemplating putting aside all of my to-read list and doing a chronological read of your e ...more
Michelle
Another winner by Dick Francis. He never lets me down.

This one introduces us to Kit Fielding, champion steeplechase jockey. He's a fantastic everyman, like Francis writes so well. A good man who loves horses, justice, and his friends and family. He's brave (not to a fault like my boy Sid Halley, but still brave) and doesn't hesitate to do what needs to be done for his sister. While I am a bit lukewarm on Danielle, I love the Princess and understand why Kit is so taken with her. She's fantastic.
Jake
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I've been meaning to try a Dick Francis novel for years. After a few false starts, I finished this on vacation as part of a summer reading challenge. Francis is a competent writer and this was a competent book. I know little and care less about English horse racing so that affected my feelings towards the book, as did the mediocre characterization. The mystery was somewhat interesting but I was ready to be done long before the resolution Glad I tried a Francis novel, don't need to do it again.
Mary
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
completely delightful. I'm a long-time Dick Francis fan (like back to when this book was written - before time of cell phones and internet news :-) and while I'm sure I must've read this one, I didn't remember it. not at all a bad thing - just think how many others I can "re-discover".
James Adams
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another solid outing by Francis, this one a little more focused on racing, but still enjoyable. The slight supernatural element is fun, as well.
Honeyeater
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, audio
This was quite enjoyable. I thought the romance and telepathy aspects of the story to be a bit weak but I enjoyed smarts that Kit showed to solve the mystery.
Ed
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
#1 in the Kit Fielding series. In over 40 suspense thrillers, Kit Fielding is only the second character (with Sid Halley) to make a repeat appearance.

Kit Fielding series - Popular steeplechase jockey Christmas ``Kit`` Fielding is shown a Fleet Street gossip column that claims his twin sister, Holly, and her racing trainer/husband, Bobby Allardeck, are unable to pay their bills. The newspaper report is not half so distressing as its effect on suppliers and horse owners. They all have begun demand
Willis
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of Dick Francis's books where horse-racing is the scenery, the setting of the plot but not the subject of the plot. While Kit Fielding is likable as the protagonist of this novel, it is hard to believe that a jockey as focused as he is on horse-racing could also best powerful, manipulative business men and rough and tumble criminals. It would be easy to dismiss this story as unbelievable and not worth wasting your time on except that Dick Francis's writing skill keeps you reading it. Plot fl ...more
Lenny Husen
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly enjoyable, one of the better ones I have read. This is the "Princess Diaries meets the Hatfields and McCoys" one.
Christmas and Holly Fielding, fraternal twins born on Christmas Day.
Good plot--super cool jockey brother comes to aid of sister whose business is under attack.
In this one, the Hero Does NOT get the shit kicked out of him or get beaten on the head with a blunt instrument. HOWEVER, he does get stabbed and electrocuted.
Stacey
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After watching the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, I was definitely in the mood for a Dick Francis mystery. It is because of my love of Dick Francis that I was even watching those two races in the first place. Kit Fielding is one of my favorite of his characters listed right behind his Sid Halley character. An excellent mystery! On to the second Kit Fielding book "Bolt".
Joe Kraus
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
My father loved Dick Francis, and I can still see him in a beach chair at Spring Valley Pool reading or rereading one while my brother and I played around him. A Francis novel combined two things Dad loved: well-written work and horse racing. I hadn’t read one in at least 20 years, but it was Father’s Day and this was in the pile, so I figured it would be a way to reminisce a little.

The start of this shows what Dad loved about these novels. We get a riveting description of our protagonist Kit Fi
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
What gave this book the fourth star is Simon Prebble's excellent reading of the audiobook. His narration of the races swept me along, while his rendition of the rest of the story was not as cringe-making as it might have been at the hands of reader who felt it necessary (and they are many) to attempt accents and voices in an attempt to get some kind of audiobook Grammy award.

As for the tale itself, it was oh so very 1980s. I found it hard to believe that a jockey who lives from hand to mouth (o
E.P.
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Since Goodreads reading goals wait for no man nor woman either, not even on Christmas, I must complete more reviews if I am to meet my target. Naturally for today I decided to review the books about Christmas "Kit" Fielding and his twin sister Holly, born on Christmas Day.

The mid-to-late-80s, when Francis wrote the two Kit Fielding books, were when he was experimenting with the family novel, producing gems such as "Hot Money" and "Longshot," about internal family dynamics and tensions. "Break In
John Marsh
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lori
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audible edition: How have I missed this author all these years?? This one was published in 1985 and is going to go down as one of my all time faves! It has mystery, family dynamics, a bit of romance, horse racing!, and character development, and all done with a main character who has honesty, integrity, and good manners! And notably is without a grisly murder or rape or child abduction. The only thing I've rolled my eyes at a bit is that he does kiss the cheeks of women he didn't know well (just ...more
Teri-K
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Years ago I read a few mysteries by this author that I enjoyed, but not being a horse person I stopped at some point. I only picked this one up because some of my GR friends read and liked it; I'm really glad I did. Sure there are plenty of horses in this story - the MC is a jockey and his sister and brother-in-law are trainers. But the book is really about family, feuds, revenge and justice. Though I occasionally wondered why Kit knew so much more about the laws relating to horse training than ...more
Ann
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing like a Dick Francis book! I've never read a bad one. He always makes me both care about and admire his characters. His plots are well developed, engaging, and fast paced. Even when I think I know where it's going based on the clues he's left I still don't want to put the book down. He's been responsible for many a " just one more chapter" late night. This was my third or fourth read, and every bit as enjoyable as the first.

• Dick Francis's Bloodline
  • Blanche Passes Go (Blanche White series Book 4)
  • Brat Farrar
  • Highfell Grimoires
  • See You Later Alligator
  • Biting the Moon (Andi Oliver, #1)
  • Fiber
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • Betrayal
  • The Captain
  • Pray for a Brave Heart
  • Airs Above the Ground
  • Condition Black
  • Mercy
  • Talking God (Leaphorn & Chee, #9)
  • Happy Are the Clean of Heart (Blackie Ryan, #2)
  • A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
Dick Francis CBE (born Richard Stanley Francis) was a popular British horse racing crime writer and retired jockey.

Dick Francis worked on his books with his wife, Mary, before her death. Dick considered his wife to be his co-writer - as he is quoted in the book, "The Dick Francis Companion", released in 2003:
"Mary and I worked as a team. ... I have often said that I would have been happy to have b

Kit Fielding (2 books)
  • Bolt (Kit Fielding, #2)