A Stitcher's Book Club discussion

Archives > October Spell - Autumn is Here and We're Reading Horror!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie Marie (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) October Spell - Autumn is Here and We're Reading Horror!
September 1 - 31, 2016

For this challenge, should you accept it, choose one (or more!) of these words/phrases related to our October Books of the Month or the fact that autumn has arrived (at least in the northern hemisphere). You may use the first letter of the first word in the book’s title – excluding A, An and The – or the author’s first or last initial (middle names or initials can NOT be used).

OCTOBER
ANNA
DRESSED
BLOOD
KENDARE
BLAKE
GREEN
MILE
STEPHEN
KING
HORROR
FICTION
THRILLER
AUTUMN
FALL
(YOUR FAVORITE LEAF COLOR: GREEN, ORANGE, RED, BROWN, ETC.)
CHANGE
SEASON
SWEATSHIRT
BOOTS
WARM DRINKS
(YOUR FAVORITE WARM DRINK: COFFEE, HOT CHOCOLATE, HOT TEA, VENTI NONFAT PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE, ETC.)
HALLOWEEN
(YOUR FAVORITE PARANORMAL CREATURE: GHOST, VAMPIRE, ETC.)
ALL HALLOW'S EVE
TRICK
TREAT
FOOTBALL

CHALLENGE RULES
Adapted with permission from another group.

* When you sign up for the challenge, please post a challenge template so we have a post to which to link your name; post #2 will list participant links which can then be used for making challenge updates.

* For each book you read, please indicate the title, the author and the date you finished reading it. Links to books/covers are great. : )

* Unless otherwise noted, books must be at least 150 pages long.

* For this challenge, any book finished during the month of August may count towards completion, regardless of when you started reading it.
Thanks, Heather, for bringing this up!

* Books may only be used for one task in this challenge, but cross-challenge posting is encouraged!

* You may use the first letter of the first word in the book’s title (excluding A, An and The) or the author’s first or last initial (middle names or initials can NOT be used) to spell your word.

* When you complete the challenge, please post your entire list as a new message to make it easier for everyone to see what you've read. If you don't repost your list, you won't be included in the list of those who have completed the challenge.

*If you don’t know how to post a link to the book title or cover, see the instructions here: How to Link to Books/Authors/Book Covers in GoodReads Comments

message 2: by Jessie Marie (last edited Oct 03, 2016 03:07PM) (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) September 2016 Spell Challenge: Back to School and Tudor England
September 1 - 30, 2016

PARTICIPANTS, in alphabetical order
The link provided here will take you directly to your post, to make it easier for you to update as the challenge progresses.

Dana
Emily
Heather
Jessie Marie

message 3: by Jessie Marie (last edited Oct 29, 2016 06:43PM) (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) October 2016 Spell Challenge: Autumn is Here and We're Reading Horror!
Duration: October 1 - 31, 2016
Completed: 2 / 7

K The Green Mile by Stephen King
E An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
N His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik | read 10.29.16 | 4.5 stars
D Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
A Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake | read 10.23.16 | 4 stars
R The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
E Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik

message 4: by Dana (last edited Oct 28, 2016 01:29AM) (new)

Dana | 156 comments Mod
October 2016 Spell Challenge: Autumn is Here and We're Reading Horror!
Completed: 8 / 9

Since its spring on this side of the world, I think I will go with something more "relevant"

G - The Green Mile by Stephen King | 06/10
R - The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
E - Eragon by Christopher Paolini | 28/10
E - American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis | 20/10
N - Road to Nowhere by Christopher Pike | 11/10

M - Freedom's Choice by Anne McCaffrey | 12/10
I - Azazel by Isaac Asimov | 07/10
L - Freedom's Landing by Anne McCaffrey | 04/10
E - Earth Is Room Enough by Isaac Asimov | dnf 24/10

message 5: by Emily (last edited Oct 31, 2016 06:43PM) (new)

Emily Moore (emily83176) October 2016 Spell Challenge: Autumn is Here and We're Reading Horror!
Completed: 4 / 4

Sticking to my promise to have a nice short word this month! These choices are subject to change if something different appeals...

M - Overexposed by Megan Erickson | read 10/21/16 | 4 stars
I - Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews | read 10/31/16 | 4 stars
L - Misfits by Garrett Leigh | read 10/8/16 | 4 stars
E - The Goal by Elle Kennedy | read 10/5/16 | 4 stars

Overexposed (In Focus, #4) by Megan Erickson Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews Misfits by Garrett Leigh The Goal (Off-Campus, #4) by Elle Kennedy

message 6: by Heather (last edited Oct 22, 2016 01:08AM) (new)

Heather | 131 comments October 2016 Spell Challenge: Autumn is Here and We're Reading Horror!
Completed: 1 / 6

I'm picking my own word, based on the books I need to read this month. All books are horror or thriller genre, or are at least horror/halloween related.
My word is: Wraith. Definition:
noun
1. an apparition of a living person supposed to portend his or her death.
2. a visible spirit.

W We Eat Our Own by Kea Wilson
R Rockinghorse by William W. Johnstone
A Ameerah: Paranormal Thriller by Rebekkah Ford
I In the Valley, Where Belladonna Grows by Tim Lebbon
T Guillermo del Toro: At Home with Monsters: Inside His Films, Notebooks, and Collections by Guillermo del Toro
H Death of a Pumpkin Carver by Lee Hollis - Finished Oct 21 - 2 Stars.

We Eat Our Own by Kea Wilson Rockinghorse by William W. Johnstone Ameerah Paranormal Thriller by Rebekkah Ford In the Valley, Where Belladonna Grows by Tim Lebbon Guillermo del Toro At Home with Monsters Inside His Films, Notebooks, and Collections by Guillermo del Toro Death of a Pumpkin Carver (Hayley Powell Mystery) by Lee Hollis

message 7: by Jessie Marie (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) Linked up Dana, Emily and Heather! Thanks for joining me again this month. Good luck with your challenges. : )

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Moore (emily83176) Finished! :-)

October 2016 Spell Challenge: Autumn is Here and We're Reading Horror!
Completed: 4 / 4

Sticking to my promise to have a nice short word this month! These choices are subject to change if something different appeals...

M - Overexposed by Megan Erickson | read 10/21/16 | 4 stars
I - Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews | read 10/31/16 | 4 stars
L - Misfits by Garrett Leigh | read 10/8/16 | 4 stars
E - The Goal by Elle Kennedy | read 10/5/16 | 4 stars

message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana | 156 comments Mod
Congrats Emily - your plan worked a lot better than mine lol

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Moore (emily83176) Thanks! It took me forever to read the last book so I was sure I wasn't going to finish this month even with a short word.