Old Books, New Readers discussion

Archived > Angie's Catch-Up Challenge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Dec 06, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Angie The following are the ones I'm planning on. I might wind up switching one out if I have issues.

Completed: 12/12
1. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (11/27/2016) - review/comment
2. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (07/31/2016) - review/comment
3. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (08/26/2016) - review/comment
4. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells (07/30/2016) - review/comment
5. The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe (07/19/2016) - review/comment
6. Dracula. by Bram Stoker (09/18/2016) - review/comment
7. Hamlet by William Shakespeare (07/18/2016) - review/comment
8. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (07/24/2016) - review/comment
9. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (10/02/2016) - review/comment
10. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (11/02/2016) - review/comment
11. Common Sense by Thomas Paine (07/22/2016) - review/comment
12. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne (08/15/2016) - review/comment

message 2: by Luella (new)

Luella Looks good so far. :) Best of luck. :)

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon | 399 comments Looks like a demanding list.

Only one suggestion. If you feel you are bogged down in Huckleberry Finn, you may want to put it down and restart it later. For me, it seemed at first episodic, almost fitful, and the Missouri River valley lingo caused me some confusion at first.

But I recommend you stay with it. It gets better and better, as you see how Huck's character comes of age, and the social commentary begins to build to a great question he must ask himself: can I live in a society built upon lies and con games, with the veneer of so-called civilization masking the abuse of so many people?

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie Jon wrote: "Looks like a demanding list.

Only one suggestion. If you feel you are bogged down in Huckleberry Finn, you may want to put it down and restart it later. For me, it seemed at first episodic, almos..."

Thank you for the heads up. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is one of those books I can't believe I've never read. I'm excited to finally tackle it.

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie Finished! This was fun. Dracula and Around the World in Eighty Days stand out as my favorites, but I'm glad I read all of the books I chose. Good to fill in some of the gaps I had in my reading.

message 6: by Luella (new)

Luella Angie wrote: "Finished! This was fun. Dracula and Around the World in Eighty Days stand out as my favorites, but I'm glad I read all of the books I chose. Good to fill in some of the gaps I had in my reading."

Awesome! I'm glad you liked it! :)

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian | 351 comments Mod
Wow! Way to go!

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie Thanks!