21st Century Literature discussion

Administration > test 2014 index to folders

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luella (last edited Jun 05, 2016 10:16PM) (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
January 2014
The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

February 2014
The Circle by Dave Eggers
The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman

March 2014
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki

April 2014
Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCann

May 2014
Tenth of December by George Saunders
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

June 2014
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Invisible by Paul Auster

July 2014
The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld
The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
The Islanders by Christopher Priest

August 2014
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Provinces of Night by William Gay

September 2014
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
Arcadia by Lauren Groff

October 2014
Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson
Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan McGuire

November 2014
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

December 2014
Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson
The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell

message 2: by Hugh (last edited Jun 06, 2016 10:14AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2598 comments Mod
Thanks for that Luella - I can see you are trying to add to and improve on the indexes I created a few months ago, and anything that makes it easier to locate discussions here is welcome! One caveat though - if and when the 100-folder limit means that the moderators have to move the 2014 discussions into an archive folder, the links in this index will stop working! My focus was to make the contents of the archive folder easier to search, but I agree that some of the more recent discussions are buried quite a long way down the lists.

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2090 comments Mod
Thanks, Hugh. I was going to send you a message to call attention to what Luella was up to with the linking to old discussions. Maybe we should go ahead and move the 2014 discussions to their own folder at this point? With the index and links, it might actually make them easier to find than they are now.

Final question, what folder should the overall index(s) go in? In each archived by year folder, or in the "Welcome" folder?

message 4: by Luella (last edited Jun 06, 2016 10:04AM) (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Well there are a few options but I think the easiest organization wise would be to put the index so they could live in their respective year folders.

That way you could just mention in a post in the Welcome folder that each of those have a index post list (Hugh's work in each folder) and an index with hot links back to the index post list for a quicker search (my work in each folder.)

However, because 2012 and 2013 are in there own folders and 2014 - 2016 are still in individual folders I'm not sure how to split it up.

I would recommend putting 2014 or even 2015 in its own big folder because like you said the system of Hugh's index and my hot links back to his index for quick searching makes them all really easy to find at this point. :)

message 5: by Hugh (new)

Another possibility (which admittedly involves more work) would be to create an index thread within each discussion - we could then link these to a master index and they should still work after archiving. As long as we create an index, I don't think anyone would object to moving 2014 into the archive now.

message 6: by Luella (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Okay so here are the tester links for all the past discussions 2012-2013 refer back to Hugh's indexes.

2014-2016 refer back to the current folders. The links on these guys can be updated quickly and I haven't tested them all yet but I wanted to let you know I'm closer to getting it all figured out on that end. :)

Past years discussion:

message 7: by Hugh (new)

Thanks Luella - great work!

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2592 comments Mod
Impressive work! Thank you.

message 9: by Whitney (new)

So much awesome!

message 10: by Whitney (last edited Jun 07, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

I'm prepared to go ahead and move 2014 discussions into their own dedicated folder. Hugh, since I'm still not clear on how you did your magic, is there anything I should do before moving them?

Luella, same question for you since you've already indexed them.

message 11: by Hugh (new)

I'm hoping it will be easier this time! If I can cut and paste the lists of discussions before you move the discussions, I think the links should still work afterwards, and it will save a lot of time working out what belongs where. I'll start collecting the data!

message 12: by Whitney (new)

Okay, I'll wait on the move until you give me the green light.

message 13: by Luella (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Whitney wrote: "I'm prepared to go ahead and move 2014 discussions into their own dedicated folder. Hugh, since I'm still not clear on how you did your magic, is there anything I should do before moving them?

Lu..."

Easy on my end. I just link back to Hugh's index once he creates it. It's just a matter of updating the HTML/url's in my list I made.

Also 2014 doesn't have any Poetry ones like 2012 and 2013 did. As I said before the only thing I think would be helpful this time around is if each month is in it's own post so that the links I create go to each month. :)

message 14: by Hugh (new)

OK, I think I have the raw HTML data I need now (thanks to Luella's links that was easy), but the program I used to extract the links from those files is on the office PC, so I'll have to leave the tidying until tomorrow.

message 15: by Hugh (new)

One other thing - this time round I think I should create a separate comment in the index thread for each book, since I think this would help Luella's index point to the right place every time.

message 16: by Whitney (new)

Another thing I did was edit the books in the bookshelf so that all the 2012 books have the "2012 Book Discussions" linked as their discussion folder (i.e. you are directed there when you click on "show activity" for a particular book. I'll do the some for 2013 and for 2014 after they get moved.

message 17: by Hugh (last edited Jun 08, 2016 04:53AM) (new)

I think I now have the full list of links for the 2014 index - I would still like to sort them a little so that the order of topics for each book is logical, but in case you want to test that the links still work after the transfer, here are the first few:

Jan 2014 - The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner

Placeholder (aka Background and Resources) for The Flamethrowers
1/2014 /Flamethrowers - opening chapters
the Flamethrowers: Chapters 3-12
The Flamethrowers -whole book spoilers allowed

Jan 2014 - The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

1/14 The Goldfinch: General Discussion (No Spoilers)
1/14 The Goldfinch: General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)
1/14 The Goldfinch: Part I
1/14 The Goldfinch: Part II
1/14 The Goldfinch: Part III
1/14 The Goldfinch: Part IV
1/14 The Goldfinch: Part V

I'm also thinking about how I can automate more of the process!

message 18: by Hugh (last edited Jun 08, 2016 04:01AM) (new)

The edited list is ready to go, so once you have created the archive folder and the index thread I will post it there (as one comment per book - maybe with links to the books and authors). Once we get it working nicely, it might be worth doing the same with the 2012 and 2013 indexes, but that might be a slow process.

message 19: by Whitney (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:47AM) (new)

Oops, you're too efficient. Luella pointed out the obvious last night. Namely that if we rename all the topics so that they start with the name of the book, people will be able to directly sort in the folders by year. How much would it mess you up if we renamed the 2014 topics before moving them into their folder?

message 20: by Hugh (last edited Jun 08, 2016 07:39AM) (new)

Whitney wrote: "Oops, you're too efficient. Luella pointed out the obvious last night. Namely that if we rename all the topics so that they start with the name of the book, people will be able to directly sort in ..."
I have just run a test on a topic I created, and it appears that renaming a thread does change its address, so it will probably be necessary for me to regenerate the list once the renaming is complete. Not a major problem since regenerating it doesn't take that long.

message 21: by Luella (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Okie dookie I'm working on the rename for 2014 today Hugh. I'll let you know when its done. :)

message 22: by Luella (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Hugh wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Oops, you're too efficient. Luella pointed out the obvious last night. Namely that if we rename all the topics so that they start with the name of the book, people will be able to d..."

I'm done with 2014. :)

message 24: by Whitney (new)

Uma just stand back and let you two go to town, awesome stuff guys.

message 25: by Hugh (last edited Jun 09, 2016 01:43AM) (new)

I discovered (by clicking on one of the ones @17 above just to see what would happen) that although renaming a discussion topic does cause its location to be renamed, links to the old location still work after the renaming - GR does the redirection automatically! So however they are renamed to assist sorting, the old links should still work, which is reassuring.

message 26: by Luella (last edited Jun 09, 2016 10:16PM) (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Alrighty now that these guys are archived my links above don't work for the time being. Hugh's link should work though and alpha search by topic will work so all hope is not lost while we are working on it! :)

message 27: by Hugh (new)

OK, I have just added the links to the 2014 index thread so I think you should be able to update your links - thanks Whitney and Luella.

message 28: by Luella (last edited Jun 10, 2016 06:51AM) (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Neat! Thanks Hugh I'l update the links in my above list and post it in 2014 before the end of the day.

message 29: by Luella (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Alrighty that is done. The only thing 2014 needs now is probably more more header post that lets everyone now they can alpha index it if they want too. But I'd leave that up to Whitney.

I'm really excited now to go back and read these and post about them in the older discussions. I currently own the Luminaries and A Little Life. I also have 1Q84 lined up to read in a few months or so.

message 30: by Hugh (new)

Thanks Luella - your work is appreciated (there are plenty of discussions I could go back and contribute to - I loved The Luminaries but the first half was hard work in places and I ignored all of the astrological structure).

message 31: by Whitney (new)

Great stuff, I can’t say enough how awesome you guys are. Here’s a blurb I wrote about finding older discussions. See if there’s anything you think should be changed to make it easier or clearer. Or more grammatically correct. I still need to go through the bookshelf and make sure that all of the “View Activity” links go where they should, but that shouldn’t take too long.
-------

Thanks to some fantastic work by Luella and Hugh, our folders have been updated to make older book discussions easier to find.

Here’s a step-by-step guide to locating older discussions. There are a few ways to do it.

1. Find the book in the group bookshelf you are interested in. Note that all books are tagged with the year they were read.
2. Click on the “View Activity” link for the chosen book. For more recent books, a direct link to the discussion will open and you’re done. For older discussions, you will get a link to the folder for the year the book was read. For example, click “View Activity” for “The White Tiger” and the link for ‘2012 Book Discussions’ will open.
3. Click on the ‘Links to 2012 Book Discussions’ (or whatever year you’re in). From there, click on the title of the book you’re looking for, and you will be redirected one more time to a post with direct links to all of the topics for that book.

Alternatively, you can go directly to the folder for the year corresponding to the book you are interested in (‘2012 Book Discussions’, ‘2013 Books Discussions’, etc.) and click on ‘topics’ at the top of the posts to sort by the names of the books / discussions in that folder and scroll to the one you are interested in.

Please report any broken links or other issues you have to one of the moderators and we’ll get it fixed. Happy Browsing!

message 32: by Hugh (new)

Looks good to me - thanks Whitney

message 33: by Luella (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Looks good the only other thing I'd mention is that the bookshelf itself can be viewed in alpha order and are the year tags which let them see what year the book was read.

But also just so you are aware Goodreads bookshelf alpha order discards A(n) and The so A Thousand Mornings will show up with the T's while in our discussions I thought that would be too confusion so I left in The and A or An in the title so A Thousand Mornings is in with the A's its just a little variation is all.

message 34: by Luella (new)

Luella | 40 comments Mod
Okie dookie. I have updated the links in 2012 and 2013 so 2012-2014 are set now.

message 35: by Hugh (new)

Thanks Luella, very helpful!