Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

NetGalley Challenge > NetGalley June 2016

Comments (showing 1-50 of 143) (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments NetGalley

Feed Your Readers, the NetGalley Challenge

Duration: Monthly

How to Participate:

The NetGalley Challenge is designed to not only get you to read your NetGalley books, but to also advertise your reviews for others to see because after all, that's what NetGalley is all about.

Though you may pop in/out at any time, the NetGalley Challenge will run on a monthly basis so you are able to see progress being made.

1. At the beginning of the month, post any/all of the following:
a: How many books on your NetGalley shelf
b: What books are on your NG shelf
c: What your Netgalley feedback ratio is

2. During the month, read the NetGalley books that you can AND update your post with your reviews. (You can do this after each book or wait until the end of the month.)

3. At the end of the month, update your post and with:
a: What books you read
b: Link(s) to your review(s)**
c: Your updated shelf count
d: Your updated books to read
e: Your updated ratio

Then start a new post for the next month!

But Wait, There's More

Do you ever get so caught up in your reading that you don't want to stop to write your reviews?

Thinking about that, it was decided we need a "Review Weekend", once each month, set aside to write those reviews you've been not doing in favor of reading!

Review Weekends will vary randomly each month and is meant to be a time set aside to review. Take one, or both days and get caught up on reviews so you can spend the rest of the month reading!!

The next Review Weekend is set for June 17th & 18th

**When linking your reviews, please link only to the book(s) here at GoodReads. At this time, linking to a personal blog is not allowed. Thank you!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments reserved

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (last edited Jun 30, 2016 03:21AM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 11910 comments Start of Month:

Books on Shelf : 6
Books:
Dear Thing by Julie Cohen The French Lesson (The Confessions of Henrietta Lightfoot #2) by Hallie Rubenhold The Other Einstein A Novel by Marie Benedict Infomocracy by Malka Ann Older Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald by Natasha Lester
Feedback ratio: 91%

FINISHED
Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg Infomocracy by Malka Ann Older

ADDED
Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire #1) by Michael J. Sullivan A Deadly Affection by Cuyler Overholt

End of Month:
Books on shelf: 6
Feedback Ratio:90%

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Jun 23, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Amanda (DaughterofOak) | 3436 comments I'm in. (Of course)
Feedback Ratio as of 6/1/16: 25%

The Dark Defiles by Richard K. Morgan Rival Forces (K-9 Rescue, #4) by D.D. Ayres The Pages of the Mind (The Uncharted Realms #1; The Twelve Kingdoms #4) by Jeffe Kennedy Pieces of Hate (Assassin, #2) by Tim Lebbon How to Rescue a Rake (Book Club Belles Society, #3) by Jayne Fresina A Talent for Trickery (The Thief-takers, #1) by Alissa Johnson Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1) by Jacqueline Garlick Getting Wilde (Immortal Vegas, #1) by Jenn Stark Hunter (Hunter, #1) by Mercedes Lackey Never Resist a Rake (Somerfield Park, #2) by Mia Marlowe In Shining Armor by E.L. Phillips Greenwode (The Wode, #1) by J. Tullos Hennig

Books finished:
The Shadow Revolution (Crown & Key, #1) by Clay Griffith
The Young World (The Young World, #1) by Chris Weitz

message 5: by Kazen (last edited Jun 24, 2016 08:32PM) (new)

Kazen I'm in too! I just added a sampler so it's time to reevaluate....

June

Beginning of month - 83%
Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2) by Mercy Brown The Ballroom A Novel by Anna Hope (St. Martin First Sampler Spring/Summer 2016)

Added:
The Emperor's Arrow by Lauren D.M. Smith Downtown Devil (Sins in the City, #2) by Cara McKenna Iron Cast by Destiny Soria

Reviews Posted:
Downtown Devil (Sins in the City, #2) by Cara McKenna -> 3★ review
Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2) by Mercy Brown -> abandoned
Iron Cast by Destiny Soria -> abandoned

Current ratio - 95%

message 6: by Kristie (last edited Jun 28, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments I'm in again! Hope I do better than last month! I really want to work up to that 80%. For June, I plan to read all my books that archive in June before their archive dates. Plus, I hope to read Lilac Girls for a challenge.

June

Beginning of the month:
Books on shelf - 17

Books:
The City of Mirrors (The Passage, #3) by Justin Cronin(6/24) All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda(6/28) Life Moves Pretty Fast The Lessons We Learned From Eighties Movies (And Why We Don't Learn Them From Movies Any More) by Hadley Freeman(6/30) The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman(7/14)
Archived:
The Girl You Lost by Kathryn Croft The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald The Forgotten Girls (Louise Rick, #7; Missing Persons Trilogy #1) by Sara Blaedel Hiding Places by Erin Healy The Lie by C.L. Taylor Golden State by Stephanie Kegan What You Left Behind by Samantha Hayes My Sister's Secret by Tracy Buchanan The Flying Circus by Susan Crandall Hidden Bodies (You, #2) by Caroline Kepnes The Art of Not Breathing by Sarah Alexander Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly The Goodbye Year by Kaira Rouda

Netgalley ratio: 73%

End of the month:

Books read: 5
Buzz Books 2016 Fall/Winter by Publishers Lunch Buzz Books 2016 Young Adult Fall/Winter by Publishers Lunch The Art of Not Breathing by Sarah Alexander Food52 A New Way to Dinner A Playbook of Recipes and Strategies for the Week Ahead by Amanda Hesser The City of Mirrors (The Passage, #3) by Justin Cronin

Reviews: 5
Buzz Books reviewed on NetGalley only
Buzz Books YA reviewed on NetGalley only
The Art of Not Breathing review
Food52 review
The City of Mirrors review

Shelf count: 14

Ratio: 79%

Review Weekend: June 17th & 18th

Books Added: 5
Buzz Books 2016 Fall/Winter by Publishers Lunch Buzz Books 2016 Young Adult Fall/Winter by Publishers Lunch The Other Einstein A Novel by Marie Benedict (11/30) Food52 A New Way to Dinner A Playbook of Recipes and Strategies for the Week Ahead by Amanda Hesser (10/17) Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1) by Brenda Novak (8/30)

Books removed from shelf (note to publisher): 3
The Lie by C.L. Taylor Golden State by Stephanie Kegan What You Left Behind by Samantha Hayes

message 7: by Delitealex (last edited Jun 14, 2016 06:55PM) (new)

Delitealex | 3715 comments I'm in

books on my shelf June 1: 46
feedback ratio: 21%
Read and reviewed: 5

Netgalley books
The Pages of the Mind (The Uncharted Realms #1; The Twelve Kingdoms #4) by Jeffe Kennedy6/8 Death at a Fixer-Upper A Home Sweet Home Mystery by Sarah T. Hobart Smoke and Ashes by Danica Winters6/9The Doctor's Baby Secret The Copper Egg by Catherine Friend 6/5 Thief's Magic (Millennium’s Rule, #1) by Trudi Canavan Desire Unmatched (Coded For Love, #4) by Lynne Silver First Match (Coded for Love, #6) by Lynne Silver Desperate Match (Coded for Love, #5) by Lynne Silver Lone Wolf (The Wolf Shifters of Raven Ridge, #1) by Tessa Clarke Waking Olivia by Elizabeth O'Roark Fury Scorned (New England Furies, #2) by Nicola R. White will read Fury's Kiss (New England Furies, #1) by Nicola R. White first 6/12 Finding London by Ellie Wade 6/2 The Sisterhood by Juanita Coulson6/7 Weight of the Heart (Bruna Husky #2) by Rosa Montero Final Fondue (A Five-Ingredient Mystery #3) by Maya Corrigan Murder on a Designer Diet (A Red Carpet Catering Mystery, #3) by Shawn Reilly Simmons

message 8: by Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland (last edited Jun 07, 2016 10:50AM) (new)

Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland (adventuresthruwonderland) | 5 comments How many books on your NetGalley shelf: 12
What books are on your NG shelf:
Strange History by Bathroom Readers Institute Risuko A Kunoichi Tale by David Kudler Cut To The Bone by Alex Caan Carter and the Curious Maze Weird Stories Gone Wrong by Philippa Dowding The Wrong Child by Barry Gornell The Bound Folio (The Ties That Bind, #3.5) by Rob J. Hayes Daughters of the Dragon A Comfort Woman's Story by William Andrews Afterward by Jennifer Mathieu This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills Last Seen Leaving by Caleb Roehrig Flashfall by Jenny Moyer

Archived:
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Castaways by David McDonald

What your Netgalley feedback ratio is: 43%

Read and Reviewed:
Almost a Full Moon by Hawksley Workman Armstrong A Mouse on the Moon by Torben Kuhlmann Cimarron Girl by Mike Blanc Thor Dueling with Giants by Keith R.A. DeCandido

message 9: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1457 comments I think June is the month for making progress! I've already started one of these and hope to focus on them.

June 2016

Books on Shelf: 13

Feedback Ratio: 0

Books to read:
Tidewater A Novel of Pocahontas and the Jamestown Colony by Libbie Hawker That Darkness (Gardiner and Renner, #1) by Lisa Black My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite, #1) by Robert Dugoni Solace by Therin Knite Light (Dream Casters, #1) by Adrienne Woods Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2) by Robert Dugoni In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3) by Robert Dugoni Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1) by Michael J. Sullivan Cold Dream Dawning (Pale Queen, #2) by A.R. Kahler The City of Mirrors (The Passage, #3) by Justin Cronin Mercer Girls by Libbie Hawker By Helen's Hand by Amalia Carosella Blood Defense (Samantha Brinkman, #1) by Marcia Clark

message 10: by Alexa (last edited Jul 01, 2016 11:51AM) (new)

Alexa Carver (alexacarver) | 183 comments This challenge sounds right up my alley! I joined NetGalley last month and I went a little crazy requesting books.

Start of June:

10 books on shelf: (first is archived)
Katheryn, The Wanton Queen by Maureen Peters Withering Rose (Once Upon a Curse, #2) by Kaitlyn Davis St. Martin’s First Winter 2016 Sampler by Various The Improbability of Love by Hannah Mary Rothschild The Things We Knew by Catherine West To Love a Stranger by Colleen Coble The Memory of Us by Camille Di Maio Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg Buzz Books 2016 Young Adult Fall/Winter by Publishers Lunch Buzz Books 2016 Fall/Winter by Publishers Lunch

Feedback ratio: 17% (I've only read 2 books out of 12 requested)

Read and Reviewed: 5/10
Buzz Books 2016 Young Adult Fall/Winter by Publishers Lunch REVIEW #1 Buzz Books 2016 Fall/Winter by Publishers Lunch REVIEW #2
The Memory of Us by Camille Di MaioREVIEW #3 Withering Rose (Once Upon A Curse Book 2) by Kaitlyn Davis REVIEW #4
Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg REVIEW #5
Added in June: How To Hook A Husband by Sarah Harvey Yoga Beyond the Mat How to Make Yoga Your Spiritual Practice by Alanna Kaivalya The Light Fantastic by Sarah Combs The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett by Chelsea Sedoti Twelve Days of Christmas by Debbie Macomber Twilight at Blueberry Barrens (Sunset Cove #3) by Colleen Coble A Royal Christmas Wedding by Rachel Hauck History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund

End of June:
Books on Shelf: 13
Feedback Ratio:35%

I over doubled my feedback ratio, but it's not as high as I would have liked. I got it up to 42% but I got approved for 4 books in the last couple days of June, which killed it. I read more than a NetGalley book per week, which was my goal!

message 11: by Alison (last edited Jun 01, 2016 02:34PM) (new)

Alison (A1ison74) | 2261 comments I'm in again for June.

NetGalley Challenge: June

Start of Month
Feedback Ratio: 68%
Books on Shelf: 25

Read & Reviewed

Read to Review
Soldier (Talon, #3) by Julie Kagawa The Night Stalker (DCI Erika Foster, #2) by Robert Bryndza

Planning to Read
Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick The Lazarus Curse (Dr. Thomas Silkstone #4) by Tessa Harris The Museum of You by Carys Bray Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent Riverkeep by Martin Stewart Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg The Paris Secret by Karen Swan Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan Amber Smoke (The Escaped #1) by Kristin Cast Baby Doll by Hollie Overton My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry All Is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker

Archived - 11

End of Month
Books on shelf:
Feedback Ratio:

message 12: by Emily (last edited Jul 01, 2016 03:37PM) (new)

message 13: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments Starting backwards again! I downloaded Buzz Books 2016: Fall/Winter today. I should be able to review it pretty quickly though.

I also plan to finish The Art of Not Breathing soon too. That is the one that held me up last month, so I need to get through it asap.

Next up, I am starting The City of Mirrors and All the Missing Girls. Hopefully, I'll be starting them both within a couple of days and will make some decent progress this month.

message 14: by Karsyn (last edited Jun 01, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Karsyn  (Imzadi) I'm in again. :) Did well beginning of May, and badly end of May. Wobble should help!

Ratio: 69% (start of challenge: 68% | lowest: 67%)
Books on Shelf: 38 (start of challenge: 31 | highest: 39)

Currently Reading: Presto! How I Made Over 100 Pounds Disappear and Other Magical Tales by Penn Jillette American Coasters 2 Coast to Coast by Thomas Crymes

To Be Read & Reviewed: (Listed oldest to newest)
(view spoiler)

Read Since Joining Challenge: (not reviewed) Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3) by Marcus Sakey

May 2016 Reviews: (view spoiler)

April 2016 Reviews: (view spoiler)

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 11, 2016 06:44PM) (new)

Running to this challenge again

a: How many books on your NetGalley shelf: 3 books
b: What books are on your NG shelf:
(view spoiler)
c: What your Netgalley feedback ratio is: 63%
NetGalley Review
Reviewed this Month:
The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library #1) by Genevieve Cogman-https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... 3.5 stars

Talon (The Astor Chronicles Book 1) by Amanda Greensladeby Amanda Greenslade
Review>>https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... 1 Star

message 16: by Sassafrass (last edited Jun 26, 2016 03:38PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 461 comments I want to try this. I saw it when I joined but decided not to jump in for May. I'm ready to give it a shot for June!

a: How many books on your NetGalley shelf: 17

Perfectly Seduced
Surrender to You
Wanting It All
Hollywood Hot Mess
Beta Test 6/22/16
Creative, Successful, Dyslexic: 23 High Achievers Share Their Stories 6/25/16
Just What I Needed
Ruthless 6/11/16
The Curse of Tenth Grave
Hard to Hold 6/17/16
Roped In
Alexandr's Cherished Submissive 6/26/16
Don't Tempt Me
To Have and to Hold
The Sapphire Affair
The Sapphire Heist
Wild Embrace

c: What your Netgalley feedback ratio is: 60%

2. During the month, read the NetGalley books that you can AND update your post with your reviews. (You can do this after each book or wait until the end of the month.)
my link text

Books read:
Ruthless (Lawless, #1) by Lexi Blake review
Beta Test (#gaymers, #2) by Annabeth Albert review
Hard to Hold (Hard to Play, #1) by Katie Rose review
Creative, Successful, Dyslexic 23 High Achievers Share Their Stories by Margaret Rooke Review
Alexandr's Cherished Submissive (Submissive's Wish, #3) by Ann Mayburn Review

message 18: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 3715 comments Read and enjoyed Finding London by Ellie Wade I really liked the dual perspectives and most of the characters. Review

message 19: by Connie N. (last edited Jun 30, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Connie N. | 357 comments NetGalley Challenge – June
Feedback ratio - 59% down to 57%

On shelf 6/1/16 - Too many
Read: 4
Added: 9
On Shelf 6/30/16 - More and more!

Titles to read in June:
Major Misconduct (Aces Hockey, #1) by Kelly Jamieson Reason to Believe (White Lace, #2) by Gina Gordon Risking It All (Naked Men, #1) by Christi Barth Second Helpings at the Serve You Right Café by Tilia Klebenov Jacobs Stacked Up (Worth the Fight, #6) by Sidney Halston Touch & Go (Dare to Love, #2) by Mira Lyn Kelly Win Me Over (Hearts and Crafts, #2) by Nicole Michaels

Off the Hook by Laura Drewry - 6/7/16 ♥♥♥♥
Off the Hook (Fishing for Trouble, #1) by Laura Drewry - Off the Hook Review

Bound by Bliss by Lavinia Kent - 6/10/16 ♥♥♥♥
Bound by Bliss (Bound and Determined, #2) by Lavinia Kent - Bound by Bliss Review

Ravishing Ruby by Lavinia Kent - 6/23/16 ♥♥♥♥
Ravishing Ruby (Bound and Determined, #3) by Lavinia Kent - Ravishing Ruby Review

Hideaway Cove by Anna Sullivan - 6/30/16 ♥♥♥
Hideaway Cove (Windfall Island, #2) by Anna Sullivan - Hideaway Cove Review

message 20: by Connie N. (last edited Jun 02, 2016 09:53AM) (new)

Connie N. | 357 comments For Pete's sake, I already added 1 to my list and it's only June 2! But it's impossible to resist when they send you an email saying you're already approved. Duh, of course I'm going to download it!

message 21: by Caron (last edited Jun 06, 2016 05:52AM) (new)

Caron (DiminishingThoughts) | 210 comments NetGalley Challenge: June 2016

On Shelf:

Titles on Shelf:
Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg The Story Traveler by Max Candee Anomaly The Soul Prophecies by Caitlin Lynagh Wrecked by Maria Padian Marvel's Thor Dueling with Giants Tales of Asgard Trilogy by Keith R.A. DeCandido Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Castaways by David McDonald Full Share (Shore House, #1) by Eliza Freed And I Darken by Kiersten White In the Hope of Memories by Olivia Rivers Casto (Gods of War, #1) by Xenia Melzer

Feedback Ratio: 83%

Read/Reviewed:
The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library #1) by Genevieve Cogman

The Invisible Library Review

message 22: by Lara (new)

Lara | 676 comments Connie N. wrote: "For Pete's sake, I already added 1 to my list and it's only June 2! But it's impossible to resist when they send you an email saying you're already approved. Duh, of course I'm going to download it!"

Don't worry Connie. Just remember it's supposed to be fun. The books you chose for June look like the should be enjoyable reads.

message 23: by Lara (new)

Lara | 676 comments Thank you to those who mentioned requesting and getting The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids (Amra Thetys, #1) by Michael McClung. I requested it, was given access, and just finished it. It was great, right up my alley. Now I'll have to check out the other books in the series. Amra is an awesome heroine.

message 24: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments Connie N. wrote: "For Pete's sake, I already added 1 to my list and it's only June 2! But it's impossible to resist when they send you an email saying you're already approved. Duh, of course I'm going to download it!"

Haha, I'm having that kind of a month too, Connie. It's June 3rd and I've downloaded 3 books already.

Fortunately, two of them were just the Buzz Books and easy to review. I also got The Other Einstein (which I read part of in Buzz Books...) and it does't archive until November 30th. I have requested 3 others too.

I did so well not requesting lasting month. At least I hope to review more this month too. :)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I also have read and reviewed a book from NetGalley, but also I got the awesome opportunity of the publisher sending me a physical paperback copy!

It's The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library #1) by Genevieve Cogman by Genevieve Cogman and here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 26: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 357 comments That sounds very interesting, Marcelina. Good review.

message 27: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 3088 comments 1. At the beginning of the month, post any/all of the following:

I have 2 books on the shelf i only joined Netgalley this week

The Light of Paris
Buzz Books 2016: Fall/Winter

No feedback yet as only just joined

message 28: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments Welcome, Marie! Hope you love it as much as we all seem to. :)

message 29: by Ella (last edited Jun 04, 2016 07:47AM) (new)

Ella | 366 comments Beginning of the month
a: No. of books on the NetGalley shelf~ (unread- 11) (all- 16)
b: Books on the NG shelf~ (unread)
Fooling Around by Noelle Adams Jagger (Caldwell Brothers, #3) by M.J. Fields Arouse (Spiral of Bliss, #1) by Nina Lane Dirty Dix (Hard Love Romance, #1) by Monica James Wooed by You by Sophia Knightly The Rules (Off-Limits, #2) by Elizabeth Brown Mail Order Doctor (Brides of Tombstone, #2) by Cynthia Woolf Mail Order Baron (Brides of Tombstone, #3) by Cynthia Woolf The Hook by Elisa Gioia The Hunter Bride (Hope's Crossing, #1) by Cynthia Woolf Pride and Fire (Dashing Nobles, #2) by JoMarie DeGioia
c: Netgalley feedback ratio~ 31% (going to remedy that now :) )

End of the month
a: Books read~
b: Link(s) to review(s)~
c: Updated shelf count~
d: Updated books to read~
e: Updated ratio~

message 30: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 11910 comments Marcelina wrote: "I also have read and reviewed a book from NetGalley, but also I got the awesome opportunity of the publisher sending me a physical paperback copy!

It's The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library #1) by Genevieve Cogman ..."

Oh that reminds me that I need to get to book 2 :o

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I didn't know that the second book in that series in available, Karen. But now that I look it up it's apparently archived? Hmm I'll look into that later.

message 32: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments So, thanks to this challenge, I'm much more aware of what's on my NetGalley shelf. I realized that I still have a book on there from 2014! It is one that I am really not interested in reading now. I think I am going to work up the nerve to email the publisher through the feedback area. (I am such a chicken.) I wonder if they'll be shocked to see a book that archived just over a year ago come through. lol

Has anyone else done this? How'd it work out for you? I think it was Amanda that suggested it a couple of months ago (and yes, I'm just working up the nerve now).

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I know that Amanda did suggest to do this and that was actually a very helpful thing to alleviate my stress load even though I have barely nah review copies. I just sent a quick replaced up note to the publisher and never heard anything back from them at all. I wasn't nervous or anything like that, because this action didn't lower me in any way, in fact I did have. A higher percentage after. You can do it Kristie!

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 11910 comments Marcelina wrote: "Oh I didn't know that the second book in that series in available, Karen. But now that I look it up it's apparently archived? Hmm I'll look into that later."

It was released late last year and book 3 is this year. It is good when a series is published quickly like that. Gives me motivation to finish it!

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 11910 comments Marcelina wrote: "I know that Amanda did suggest to do this and that was actually a very helpful thing to alleviate my stress load even though I have barely nah review copies. I just sent a quick replaced up note to..."

I agree. Go for it Kristie!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely agree. I really like when the author takes the long time to write most of the novels on a series and then publishes them closely together. That way you don't have to feel like you're waiting forever for the next book or having a massive book hangover. I'm actually planning to continue on with this serried I think, even of it's just to satisfy my curiosity.

message 37: by Kristie (last edited Jun 04, 2016 05:29PM) (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments I'm running into that series issue now with The City of Mirrors. I am reading it as a NetGalley review. I was so excited for this book when I read the first two in the series back in 2013, but it took so long for the last one to be released. I felt like I was waiting forever. I lost some interest in it after waiting so long and it is taking a bit for me to get reacclimatized to the story because I've forgotten so much. Unfortunately, the books are too long for me to do a reread before this one. I would have loved to have read it a couple of years ago.

message 38: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments I'm going to send in the note for a couple of old books that I'm not interested in any more. I know I have at least two that will just sit there. Might as well increase my percentage.

update: I sent notes for 3 books. All had been on my shelf for over a year, so just sitting there. I felt terrible sending the note, but a bit relieved at the same time. Ratio went from 74% to 77%. I may make it to the elusive 80% this month, if I don't get too many more.

message 39: by Myst (last edited Jun 04, 2016 06:14PM) (new)

Myst (detetiv) | 54 comments Will re-post mine when im back on a laptop. At least my % is better. Are we still using the review stickers?

message 40: by Kristie (last edited Jun 04, 2016 09:06PM) (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments I finally finished The Art of Not Breathing. This book took me forever to read. I just couldn't get engaged. The writing felt very detached to me. 2.5★

NetGalley Review

The Art of Not Breathing review

message 41: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments Woot! My percentage is up to 79%! Almost there!

I started The City of Mirrors today and I plan to start All the Missing Girls tomorrow. So, hopefully I'll at least get through those two (and before they archive!).

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristie wrote: "Woot! My percentage is up to 79%! Almost there!

I started The City of Mirrors today and I plan to start All the Missing Girls tomorrow. So, hopefully I'll at least..."

Yay! Just as a quick question, do you have to give feedback before its archived or is it just strongly suggested (bring your % up?) I have read that the publisher still accepts and receives your feedback but I'm just wondering about that. (I know I'm still like a brand new member and very confused.)

message 43: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jun 27, 2016 12:57AM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4365 comments I need to do this My NetGalley percentage is major bad. In the beginning of June it was a 2%. :O Shame. I know.

- 61 archived
- 5 pending
- 31 on my to read shelf
- 6 read & reviewed
- The Total is 97 (Not sure why the Math doesn't add up)

- I need to read these by the end of the month (3 books):
Hell Bound by Andrew P. Weston The Cold Embrace Weird Stories by Women by S.T. Joshi The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2016 Edition by Rich Horton
- On the To Read Shelf (31 books):
Hell Bound by Andrew P. Weston The Cold Embrace Weird Stories by Women by S.T. Joshi The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2016 Edition by Rich Horton A Strange Little Place The Hauntings & Unexplained Events of One Small Town by Brennan Storr Torture Man by Warren Adler The Dolphin by Craig Bennett Hallenstein The Pit (Watchmaker's Hell #1) by L.A. Barnes Galactic Legend of Life and Death by Boian Alexandrov The Redemption of Erâth Exile by Satis Thorn (Thorn Saga, #1) by Joshua Ingle Lethal Kisses 18 Stories of Sex, Horror and Revenge by Ellen Datlow Dead Souls A Novel by J. Lincoln Fenn The Spirit Chaser by K.M. Montemayor Black Magic Series Starter, the by Dennis Wheatley Unhidden (The Gatekeeper Chronicles, Book 1) by Dina Given The Witch Hunter (The Witch Hunter, #1) by Virginia Boecker Rise of the Enemy (The Enemy, #2) by Rob Sinclair Writers of the Future Volume 31 by L. Ron Hubbard Judgment of Murder by C.S. Challinor Cannibalism A Perfectly Natural History by Bill Schutt Butter A Rich History by Elaine Khosrova Marie Antoinette's Darkest Days Prisoner No. 280 in the Conciergerie by Will Bashor Split the Sun (Inherit the Stars, #2) by Tessa Elwood The South Forsaken by Rachel Drummond Stumbling On A Tale by Suzanne Roche Voyage of the Defiance (Breaking Free #1) by S.E. Smith Dark Spirits A Man Terrorized by the Supernatural by Stephen Lancaster The Agony That Remains A Paranormal Investigation in America's Heartland by Brandon Callahan A Menagerie of Mysterious Beasts Encounters with Cryptid Creatures by Ken Gerhard Nessie Exploring the Supernatural Origins of the Loch Ness Monster by Nick Redfern Haunted Bridges Over 300 of America's Creepiest Crossings by Rich Newman
- On the Archived List (61 books):
The Sign in the Moonlight And Other Stories (Digital Horror Fiction Author Collection) by David Tallerman Piercing Through by R.J. Fanucchi No Light in August Tales from Carcosa & the Borderland by R.L. Robinson The Last Boy and Girl in the World by Siobhan Vivian Redemption Road by John Hart Faith and Moonlight (Faith and Moonlight #1) by Mark Gelineau The Unusual Possession of Alastair Stubb by David John Griffin Dead of Night (Aftershock, #1) by Carlyle Labuschagne Girl of Myth and Legend (The Chosen Saga #1) by Giselle Simlett A Reaper of Stone (A Reaper of Stone #1) by Mark Gelineau Broken Banners (A Reaper of Stone #2) by Mark Gelineau Rend the Dark (Rend the Dark #1) by Mark Gelineau Skinshaper (Rend the Dark #2) by Mark Gelineau The Village of Eben Hollow by Brad A. Braddock The Children's Home by Charles Lambert Monsterland by Michael Phillip Cash Footsteps in the Sky by Greg Keyes Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton As Night Falls by Jenny Milchman A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz Braswell Everywhere It's You by C.B. Salem Buried Secrets (Men of Valor #1) by Irene Hannon Dark Wine by Beth Tashery Shannon The Child Garden by Catriona McPherson The House of the Last Man on Earth by Robert B. Marcus Jr. Tin Men by Christopher Golden Dave vs. the Monsters Emergence by John Birmingham From Bruges with Love (The Pieter Van In Mysteries) by Pieter Aspe Manhattan Mayhem New Crime Stories from Mystery Writers of America by Mary Higgins Clark The Aeschylus by David Barclay The Ravens by Vidar Sundstøl Blind Spot by Tom Kakonis Die For Me (Bragg #8) by Jack Lynch Travels with Gannon and Wyatt Great Bear Rainforest by Patti Wheeler A Killing Sky (Frank Pavlicek Mysteries, #2) by Andy Straka Travels with Gannon and Wyatt Greenland by Patti Wheeler Travels with Gannon and Wyatt Egypt by Patti Wheeler Off And Running by Philip Reed Travels with Gannon and Wyatt Botswana by Patti Wheeler Susannah Screaming by Carolyn Weston Hail Storme A Wyatt Storme Thriller by W.L. Ripley Travels with Gannon and Wyatt Ireland by Patti Wheeler A Witness Above (Frank Pavlicek Mysteries, #1) by Andy Straka Blanche Cleans Up by Barbara Neely Irona 700 by Dave Duncan Undertow (Undertow #1) by Michael Buckley Cyberbia Doomsday General by Justin Greene The Field Trip by R.A. Andrade The IX by Andrew P. Weston '89 Walls by Katie Pierson Come Winter by Clare Gutierrez Fight Back by Brent R. Sherrard Femme by Mette Bach Real Justice A Police Mr. Big Sting Goes Wrong The Story of Kyle Unger by Richard Brignall Unleashed (Kate Turner, DVM #2) by Eileen Brady The Case of the Invisible Dog A Shirley Homes Mystery by Diane Stingley The Hanged Man (Her Majesty's Psychic Service, #1) by P.N. Elrod Mayhem in Margaux by Jean-Pierre Alaux
- Never downloaded, luckily I found them at the library (3 Books):
Broken Promise (Promise Falls Trilogy, #1) by Linwood Barclay The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

- At the beginning of the month 2%. I know. I know. That's really bad.

description

As of June 11, 2016 - At 6%
A Reaper of Stone (A Reaper of Stone #1) by Mark Gelineau - Review The Witch's List by Andrew Cairns - Review Colony of the Lost by Derik Cavignano - Review America's Most Haunted Hotels Checking in with Uninvited Guests by Jamie Davis Whitmer - Review Eeny Meeny (Helen Grace, #1) by M.J. Arlidge - Review

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah how did it go all the way down to 2%? -too much books too little time? I know how hard it is to have self-control while just browsing or surfing NG, which is a reason that I try to avoid it and go on only to give back feedback. :) This challenge has helped me and a lot of the others too so hopefully it helps you too!

message 45: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4365 comments Pretty much it was a combination of too many books and then not following through. The majority of them when into archive. All of it is my own fault.

So, my mission is to get those books finished. There are only two books I didn't download, so I'll have to find them somewhere else. I also have some on my own kindle that I gave away. I will see if I can track those down or not.

Learn from my lesson, don't let this happen to you!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Don’t worry I honestly don’t think that I could live with the stress of that. Personally, numbers have always stressed me out so I’ve decided to not get anything in my shelf above 10. I’m currently at 4 and reading one of them and planning to start another one this evening. I truly feel comfortable knowing that my pile is quite manageable, and with summer and WOBBLE coming up, I’m sure that these will be quite useful!

message 47: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4365 comments Perhaps, with 80 books to read I'm sure I'm bound to find a few that will work for W.O.B.B.L.E.

message 48: by Myst (last edited Jun 09, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

message 49: by Kristie (last edited Jun 05, 2016 04:45PM) (new)

Kristie | 2506 comments Marcelina wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Woot! My percentage is up to 79%! Almost there!

I started The City of Mirrors today and I plan to start All the Missing Girls tomorrow. So, hopeful..."

Your percentage still increases, even if the book is archived. You can send it in whenever you want, but before the archive date is preferred. I had one book that I reviewed after a year. It was a bit embarrassing to send it in at that point, but they accepted it and my percentage still went up.

One tip - On and after the archive date, you can no longer download the books, even if you were approved, so make sure you download right away.

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 05, 2016 04:44PM) (new)

Wow Myst that's a lot of books! :o I'm happy that you made progress with at least one of those and hopefully if everyone on here is on a roll we can encourage each other to push our limits and % up! Good luck with finishing that TBR (and that's not meant in a sarcastic way, but genuine)

Oh yeah, I don't know if this is too weirdly OCD for me to ask but since you have a hefty amount of covers maybe you could possibly put that in a spoiler?(haha I also put my books in spoilers, even if its like only 4 of them :P)

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dear Thing (other topics)
The French Lesson (other topics)
The Other Einstein (other topics)
Infomocracy (other topics)
Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Genevieve Cogman (other topics)
Laura Drewry (other topics)
Amanda Greenslade (other topics)
Lavinia Kent (other topics)
Noah Hawley (other topics)
More...