Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2014 Challenge Archive > Pass The Parcel : Round 2 - Teams Allocated

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 02, 2014 04:08AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments PASS THE PARCEL - Round 2

Start date - 30 May

Teams assigned by 21 May
Last theme call - 25 July

This is a team challenge to encourage members to meet new friends and find new books.

PLEASE READ EVERY LINE OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS - there are a few minor adjustments for this round.

I will be referring members back to this post if you ask me something already outlined here!

For this challenge we will have teams of 6 players. The group will nominate a team captain who will track the completion of books for the group and ensure compliance to the rules. Groups will be allocated out before the reading starts. This will be done randomly by me :)

Members signing up need to be prepared TO READ ROUGHLY ONE BOOK EACH WEEK.

Each week a theme will be randomly selected from the list posted in msg 2. This theme will be posted in the Discussion/Q&A thread between 6pm and 9pm US EST each Friday.

Each member in the group has the following options:

1. Read a book that matches the theme
(the parcel)

OR

2. Select a book from the 'READ' list of a team-mate that they read in the last 6 months AND that the team-mate rated at least 3 stars. (This essentially passing on a recommendation ;) If the book is in a series but does not match where you are up to, you may read another book from that same series.

OR

3. 'Pass' on reading a book that week.

BUT each team member can only select #3 once each 4 weeks. AND each team may only have ONE person 'passing' for the round each week. It is up to the team as to how they manage a 'pass'. (Yes - this means that two team-mates per group can't claim a pass in a 4 week block.)

Each team member must post their selection (option 1, 2 or 3) in the week that the theme is announced. NEW RULE: They can only change their book selection in this initial week. So choose carefully :)

Each team member must return to their team thread and post a short review of the book that they read. This review should be enough to indicate that the member DID read the book. A couple of sentences is sufficient. "I liked it" is not.

Key information is required in both the selection and completion posts. This key information will be posted in each team thread's opening posts to help compliance :) You and your Captain cannot claim to have completed your book until the post holds all the required information.

This challenge will run for 9 weeks. The winning team is the one that completes the challenge first; they win bragging rights :) No-one can use the 'pass' option in the last week of the challenge.

Rules:
* Each team member MUST post into their team thread each week or risk being removed from the challenge. It isn't fair on your team-mates if you are not committed to participant each week.
* You MUST post your selected book in the week of the announced category. If you miss selecting your book (or pass) in that week, you risk removal from the challenge. I will need a good reason to NOT REMOVE YOU. NEW RULE: you can only change your nominated theme book in the week that the theme is announced. You CANNOT change your book once a new theme is announced.
* '4 weeks' will be counted in blocks of four, with a new count starting in week 5.
* No-one can use the 'pass' option in the last week of the challenge.
* To qualify for a theme, the book's eligibility must be apparent in the title or the goodreads summary (anywhere on the book's goodreads page will count), or must appear on another GR member's shelves appropriately and transparently entitled. The source of the eligibility must be specified at the time of the book selection. Refer to the Q&A thread for more clarification on this rule.
* You can change your nominated book only during the week that it's theme is called. (REVISED RULE)
* Books must be at least 100 pages in length.
* Anthologies and bundled books are fine (if the shorter stories don't meet the 100 page minimum), but you must read the full set.
* You must quote the page numbers for your selected book each week. Please quote the goodreads page numbers (any edition of the book is fine).

Important!!! If a team member falls behind by more than 2 books then they WILL be removed from the challenge. The team who loses that member will continue with the lower number of team-mates. This rule is to ensure that ALL participants are committed to their team and the challenge.

For those of you who didn't play this growing up, a 'parcel' is passed from one person to another. ...When setting this game up, a prize (or 'gift') is wrapped in a large number of layers of wrapping paper. Smaller prizes may be placed between some or all other layers of wrapping.

During the game, music is played as the parcel is passed around. Whoever is holding the parcel when the music stops removes one layer of wrapping and claims any prize found under that layer. The music is then restarted and the game continues until every layer is removed and the main prize claimed.

This is the RRRC version of the game with a few more options and rules than we may remember from our childhood ;)

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 25, 2014 03:03PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments THEMES
These themes must be apparent in the title, the goodreads summary page or must be shelved by a GR member using words that show eligibility. With some themes, eligible words are clarified below.

1. Main character is royalty - in name or fact. Must be King, Queen, Prince, Princess, Emperor, Empress, Duke, Duchess or a ruler equivalent.

2. Set on a ranch/property which uses/raises horses.

3. Friends to lovers - must have 'friend' and 'lover' (including expansions/contractions) in the shelf title.

4. Book starting with the letter 'G'

5. Book cover predominantly black (at least 50%).

6. Book has a theme of hurt/comfort/crying/grieving. Must have one of these words (including expansions and contractions) in the shelf name.

7. Read the first book of a new (to you) series.

8. Main character is a musician (singer counts).

9. Book on your TBR shelf for more than 12 months. If you don't have a book as old as that on your TBR, select a book from one of the moderators TBR shelves (older than 12 months).

10. Book from the RRRC's random book list shelves:
1-50-random-book-list
51-100-random-book-list
101-150-random-book-list
151-200-random-book-list
This cannot come from any other location. You cannot add books to these shelves. Yz and the other randomizers would not be happy!

11. Book with a tattoo on the cover.

12. Book with at least 450 pages per GR.

13. Book set on an island (must be an island off the coast from a mainland).

14. Main character is mega-wealthy.

15. Book mentioned in one of the 2014 'What are you reading?' topics.
2014 May - What Are You Reading?
2014 April - What Are You Reading?
2014 March - What Are You Reading?
2014 February - What Are You Reading?
2014 January - What Are You Reading?

16. Bookcover does not show the head of a character (ie decapitated figure). Eg Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2) by Amanda Quick works. A Demon and His Witch (Welcome to Hell, #1) by Eve Langlais does NOT work. Rule: You must not see any part of the nose upwards.

17. Book title that starts with 'A', 'An', 'The'.

18. Book by an author whose first or last name starts with the letter 'J'.

19. Main character has a pet (animal).

20. Book from the RRRC's romantic-suspense shelf. This cannot come from any other location.

*hint* If you have a book that should be on the RRRC's romantic-suspense shelf and isn't, go ahead and add it to the shelf BEFORE that theme is chosen. It cannot be added after the theme is announced. And go ahead and add any of your books to appropriate shelves. Please select ALL the key themes in the book.

Further clarity on the rules and themes has been (or will be) provided in the Q&A/Announcement thread.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 02, 2014 05:06AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments Key selection and completion post information:

For the initial selection post I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies

For the completion post I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in the post. It needs to be super clear.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 20, 2014 12:59AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments Sign Ups

√ Jasmin
√ Gea
√ Christina
√ Tina
√ Gianna
√ Margaret
√ Shannon wckdktty
√ Mary
√ Elizabeth
√ Sassafrass
√ Lauren
√ Breann
√ Katie
√ Lisa
√ Hina
√ Teresa
√ MountainKat
√ Calila
√ Grace
√ Kitten
√ Leslie
√ Sandy
√ Karla
√ Susan A
√ Mrs.soule
√ Tabs
Samantha
√ Suzanne
√ Runell
√ Melissa
√ Catherine
√ Jojo
√ Becky
√ Bamaace83
√ Lindy
√ Elin
√ bethany
√ Diane
√ Nicole
√ Medavis66 (Elaine)
√ beppy
√ Carla
√ Vi
√ Brianne
√ Pam
√ Ra~Luka
√ Shan
√ Turtlecollector
√ Penney
√ Logan
√ Carrie (ICanHasBooks)
√ Lynne
Arela
√ AnniLuvs
√ Shannon pokey

√ Confimed
(55)

message 5: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 02, 2014 03:51AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments Teams

message 6: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin (sakuchu) | 137 comments I'm in :)

message 7: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments I'm in as well

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes please I'm in

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina (whitley97) | 232 comments Yeah, I had fun in the first one and hoped we would play again. I'm in!

message 10: by Gianna (new)

Gianna | 289 comments Oh, I'm definitely in again! I had so much fun the first time around!

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 354 comments Yes, please sign me up.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments I am in.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in too

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments I'm in!

message 15: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3195 comments I'll give this a try again.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Please sign me up!

message 17: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments Me!!

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments I'm in.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2013 comments Im in. Just making sure I can read all MM. ( or majority MM)

message 20: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments I am in!

message 21: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 725 comments I'm in!

message 22: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19156 comments I'll play again. I hope I am not getting in over my head... =P

message 23: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments I'm so in!

message 24: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1281 comments I'm in!

Kitten ~♥️ MM series ~ (wineandbookme) | 164 comments In in again.

message 26: by Teresa (last edited May 02, 2014 07:15PM) (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 725 comments I had a comment/suggestion: I found on my last team, being the only M/M reader, I never got to use option two. It would be nice if every M/M reader got at least one M/M teammate...

message 27: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1350 comments Teresa wrote: "I had a comment/suggestion: I found on my last team, being the only M/M reader, I never got to use option two. It would be nice if every M/M reader got at least one M/M teammate..."

Me too...I imagine it would be hard to do though.

message 28: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 725 comments If we identified ourselves, she could figure out how many teams would be needed to have at least pairs and then put us in only for that many teams so we don't get spread out.

message 29: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19156 comments Teresa wrote: "If we identified ourselves, she could figure out how many teams would be needed to have at least pairs and then put us in only for that many teams so we don't get spread out."

Team assignments are random. It's just the luck of the draw, sort of like if you only read historical romance and your teammates only read paranormal romance and romantic suspense.

message 30: by Skandia (last edited May 02, 2014 10:56PM) (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments I'm in again!

message 31: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments Teresa wrote: "I had a comment/suggestion: I found on my last team, being the only M/M reader, I never got to use option two. It would be nice if every M/M reader got at least one M/M teammate..."

Sorry Teresa - I can't guarantee that you will have another MM reader. All the themes though are capable of all genres across romance :)

message 32: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments Lisa - President of Challengeaholics Anon and Challenge Enabler wrote: "Im in. Just making sure I can read all MM. ( or majority MM)"

You certainly can. Whilst I'm sure everyone would like to be paired with like-romance-genre readers, I can't guarantee that. However a lot of members do read MM. It will just be the luck of the drawer...

message 33: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 725 comments We need to add some m/m romantic suspense novels to the RRRC list :D There is only one, Criminal Pleasures. I don't usually read Romantic Suspense so am not sure what to add, any other m/m reader have suggestions?

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments make sure you guys aren't just adding books to add books...make sure they actually fit the categories

message 35: by Fran, Moderator (new)

message 36: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited May 03, 2014 04:09PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6792 comments A few more options for you off the top of my head...

Sinner's Gin
Whiskey and Wry
Zero at the Bone
Fatal Shadows (and a bunch of others by Josh Lanyon)
A Reason To Believe

message 37: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments ah hem. I monitor additions to the RRRC bookshelf very closely (and I'm currently in the process of cleaning it up). so I second Dee's suggestion....

message 38: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 725 comments Ty and Dee, that's why I asked for suggestions. I don't know what would qualify :D

Though those sound like good books Fran and KatenH!

message 39: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 725 comments Sorry, KarenH!!

message 40: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10930 comments Teresa,
Catch Me if You Can and Zero at the Bone are so good. I haven't read most of the others but they've gotten good reviews.

message 41: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19156 comments I loved A Reason To Believe and it was excellent in audio too!

message 42: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10930 comments MountainKat wrote: "I loved A Reason To Believe and it was excellent in audio too!"

I liked that one too :)

message 43: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I'm in again!

message 44: by Teresa (last edited May 03, 2014 07:01PM) (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 725 comments Fran wrote: "Teresa,
Catch Me if You Can and Zero at the Bone are so good. I haven't read most of the others but they've gotten good reviews."

I've read both of those and loved them!

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments Can everyone move their questions and answers to the Q&A thread, please? Thanks!!! :)

message 46: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 1010 comments I'm in! 3 team challenges at once is not too much, right? Lol! Nah :)

message 47: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments I'm in!

message 48: by Karla (new)

Karla | 286 comments I'm in.

message 49: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1350 comments I'd like to play.

message 50: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) I'm in! This was so much fun last time!

« previous 1 3