Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading in May 2014?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 274 (274 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2989 comments Go!

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2971 comments

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments lol!

message 4: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2971 comments Grumpy aside...

I started Dealing with Dragons this morning. It's cute so far.

message 5: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I've gotten into the manga series Vagabond. It's supposed to be loosely based upon one of the first and best known Samurai. He wrote a book called The Book Of The Five Rings, part philosophy, part strategy. I find the series incredibly interesting. Vagabond, Volume 2 Vagabond, Volume 2 by Takehiko Inoue . I'm reading the VIZBIG editions, which happily combine several of the smaller editions. If you like Manga, I'd recommend them.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 510 comments I actually heard that the audio of Dealing with Dragons is really great - 5 hours or so, full cast production. I think I might read it that way!

message 7: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Started on Dispatches last night, but the style is...weird.

Thinking of trying the Eli Moonpress books alongside Dispatches.

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments o_O wrote: "Started on Dispatches last night, but the style is...weird.

Thinking of trying the Eli Moonpress books alongside Dispatches."

Eli is easy. Its barely a brain fart.

message 9: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Is it good though?

message 10: by Felina (new)

Felina | 815 comments I ordered Dealing with Dragons from PBS. I'm glad to hear it's good.

I'm still working on Elantris and my short story horror book I got from the library that was due back a week ago but I really want to finish and I've already re-checked it out the maximum amount of times. My library is closed down until the fall for rennovations which I hope means they are creating a seperate section for the 90,000 screaming children that are always in the place.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments o_O wrote: "Is it good though?"

It was meh: https://bookslifewine.wordpress.com/2...

but the ending looked like the 2nd book was going to be a lot more interesting.

message 12: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Oh. Welp, never mind then.

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments o_O wrote: "Oh. Welp, never mind then."

Its so easy and you might like him...

but if you don't, I'd totally understand.

message 14: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2971 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "o_O wrote: "Is it good though?"

It was meh: https://bookslifewine.wordpress.com/2...

but the ending looked like the 2nd book was going to be a lot more interesting."

I agree with MrsJ - it was ok, but not great. It was kinda disappointing, actually, 'cause it's one of those books that could've been so much better than it was.

And it was easy and quick.

I've heard book 2 & 3 are a lot better, though. Haven't decided whether I'm gonna try or not.

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments c.o.lleen ± (... never stop fighting) ± wrote: "It was kinda disappointing, actually, 'cause it's one of those books that could've been so much better than it was."

^This

Totally agree. I expected a lot more.

message 16: by Lee (last edited May 01, 2014 01:13PM) (new)

Lee | 939 comments Finished Elsewhere. I don't know if this was the right book at the right time or what but boy did this story just hit me hard. I fell in love, I laughed, and I cried like a baby. What more can I ask for from a book?

I got All These Things I've Done at the library this morning. Same author. Reading next. As soon as I get up from this cozy corner on the floor.

(Ok. Not really. But you get the idea.)

message 17: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I'm reading...the same damn stuff since February.

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Chris wrote: "I'm reading...the same damn stuff since February."

Goes to stand in the corner with Chris.

message 19: by Felina (new)

Felina | 815 comments Joins the crew in the corner.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 27 comments Reading "Arnco" by Ben Muse on Kindle Arnco and Summer Island b Kristen Hannah in paperback Summer Island

message 21: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments Finished Trading in Danger. Not bad--I thought it sort of dragged in places, but I found the main character interesting. Not sure I'll go in the series. I'm a really hard sell for sci-fi.

I have started Patrick Ness' The Crane Wife, and I am enjoying it so far.

message 22: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments We'll never get any reading done in this corner.

message 23: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2989 comments Chris wrote: "We'll never get any reading done in this corner."

Do you even have any light in that corner? Or do you like it dark over there, Chris? :P

message 24: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Dark is safer.

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Chris wrote: "Dark is safer."

^

Plus more excuses. How can we read in the dark??

message 26: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) | 81 comments c.o.lleen ± (... never stop fighting) ± wrote: "I've heard book 2 & 3 are a lot better, though. Haven't decided whether I'm gonna try or not."

I read the 2nd and 3rd. (Then abandoned the series). There is more world building in 2 and 3, but the characters never really grow into complete humans, they remained as one dimensional as in the first book.

message 27: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2971 comments DavidO wrote: "I read the 2nd and 3rd. (Then abandoned the series). There is more world building in 2 and 3, but the characters never really grow into complete humans, they remained as one dimensional as in the first book. "

That's disappointing, but good to know. Thanks. :>

message 28: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) | 81 comments I'm still reading Words of Radiance. About halfway, plot is still dragging.

message 29: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny I am in the middle of the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. While it lacks certain something to make it truly excellent, it is still very good and I can recommend it to people who have not read it yet. It is grim, but without excessively gory scenes so far.

message 30: by Luke (new)

Luke | 333 comments Evgeny wrote: "I am in the middle of the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. While it lacks certain something to make it truly excellent, it is still very good and I can recommend it to people w..."

I'm not sure if it's the second one where the "grim and gory" starts to happen, but I didn't notice either of those elements in the first one.

message 31: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny It is grim (heck, one of the characters happens to be an Inquisitor who is very good at his job), but people avoid the series thinking it is too gory, but it is not - this is what I was saying :)

message 32: by Luke (new)

Luke | 333 comments Oh, that's right. I guess the whole torturer thing could be considered "grim" lol. Didn't think about that.

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments DavidO wrote: "I read the 2nd and 3rd. (Then abandoned the series). There is more world building in 2 and 3, but the characters never really grow into complete humans, they remained as one dimensional as in the first book. "

Damn.

That sucks.

I h ave one of her books by a penname - I've hesitated about reading it due to Eli but Ilona Andrews recently rec'd it. That being said...I totally didn't read the last book she rec'd though a lot of people loved it.

message 34: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) | 81 comments Who is Ilona Andrews?

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments DavidO wrote: "Who is Ilona Andrews?"

O_O

Whhhaaaa?

Ilona Andrews Ilona Andrews

She (and her husband) write one of my favorite series!!

The Kate Daniels Series: Magic Bites

message 36: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny DavidO wrote: "Who is Ilona Andrews?"

Somebody is about to be kicked out of the group :D

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments lol!

message 38: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments What book did she rec?

message 39: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited May 02, 2014 09:42AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments o_O wrote: "What book did she rec?"

Fortune's Pawn

I think you've already read it...

ETA: The other one was Miserere: An Autumn Tale

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 510 comments I just started Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick and am really enjoying it so far! It's been a long time since I read anything that I just loved, so I'm trying to back away from reading requirements and just read whatever the heck I want. So far so good!

message 41: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "o_O wrote: "What book did she rec?"

Fortune's Pawn

I think you've already read it..."

Ah. Yeah, read that whole trilogy. They were pretty easy, fun reads.

message 42: by Lee (new)

Lee | 939 comments I'm continuing (and probably ending) my Gabrielle Zevin marathon with Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac. Ugh. This book. Think of every thing you hate about young adult romance books in one book and you have an idea of how much I *dislike* this book.

At least I didn't spend money on it - that's a plus.

message 43: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) | 81 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Ilona Andrews Ilona Andrews

She (and her husband) write one of my favorite series!!

The Kate Daniels Series: Magic Bites "

Ah, that's on my to read list. Sadly it shares the shelf with about 200 books.

message 44: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nienna wrote: "I'm continuing (and probably ending) my Gabrielle Zevin marathon with Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac. Ugh. This book. Think of every thing you hate about young adult romance books in o..."

I know the feels.
:(

message 45: by Sam (new)

Sam Leeves I just finished 'Moving Pictures' by Terry Pratchett (can't link it because I'm in the app, I'm afraid). I've run out of fantasy on my bookshelf, so I'm reading a Groucho Marx biography at the moment.

I've had The Earthsea Quartet on my bookcase for a while. I tried reading it before, but I found the prose a little impersonal. If anyone's read it, is it worth me giving it another shot? To be honest I prefer more character driven books, but seeing as it's something of a fantasy classic I feel like it's something I should get around to?

message 46: by Lee (new)

Lee | 939 comments I love Groucho Marx. The Marx Bros movies are great :)

I read the first Earthsea book and I agree with you. I don't like to read books that feel like a history book. And the Earthsea was very dry to me.

message 47: by Sam (new)

Sam Leeves I'm glad I'm not the only one! Maybe I'll try again some day, but it doesn't fill me with anticipation :)

message 48: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nienna wrote: "I love Groucho Marx. The Marx Bros movies are great :)

I read the first Earthsea book and I agree with you. I don't like to read books that feel like a history book. And the Earthsea was very dry ..."

I felt the same way about Earthsea. Never got past the first book.

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I started on The Lion and the Rose this weekend because my shelf was naked for two days and I couldn't take it any longer.

I'm not sure if it's a case of spring fever, but I don't feel like doing shit other than watching TV and sleeping. :/ But, I joined a TBR challenge for my HF group. For the challenge you lock in 25 books for the month and just tick them off as you read them. It's day 5 and I'm no where close to ticking a book off...nor do I seem to care.

message 50: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2971 comments Woo, nekkid!

I'm with you on the Spring Fever - though yesterday I was reading some fun manga books that I'm continuing/finishing today. I'm having a hard time with what to read after, though, 'cause the other two I have are horrory and actiony/deathy, and I'm not really in the mood for either...

Ooh - I should be picking up something at the library today which is kinda trashy. Problem solved. **phew**

Don't mind me... I'm just blathering because I so can't be arsed to do work today...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.