Start by marking “Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  32,783 ratings  ·  2,561 reviews
If Naomi had picked tails, she would have won the coin toss. She wouldn't have had to go back for the yearbook camera, and she wouldn't have hit her head on the steps. She wouldn't have woken up in an ambulance with amnesia. She certainly would have remembered her boyfriend, Ace. She might even have remembered why she fell in love with him in the first place. She would und ...more
Published August 21st 2007 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac, please sign up.
Maddie Dickens I agree totally agree. The book had some repetitive parts but overall I really liked the book and I would recommend this to my friends and family!

·  32,783 ratings  ·  2,561 reviews

Ariel
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I went into this with a quest. To discover if after several years this was still my favourite book.

I think it is. I think it is my favourite book.

You'll be seeing quite a few videos from me about this book in the next few weeks to hear more of my thoughts, but here are a few :)

- This is the book that I think about the most often. I wouldn't say it haunts me, but it makes me think about myself and who I am and how I want to portray myself.
- the fact that the character goes through 3 romantic pros
karen

there may be spoilers*, but mild and gentle ones, not "it was earth all along" spoilers. this is a book i was reading for school, not because i am a big fan of realistic teen fiction. if you are a teen girl wondering if you should read this book, this is probably not going to be the review for you. in fact, you should stay away from most of my reviews because i am careless and i don't want to be responsible for shattering any beautiful innocence about life or anything. stay gold and all that.

the
da AL
It was a fun enough book, read well enough - I got it because I hoped it would measure up to author Zevin's later novel for adults, "Young Jane Young," which shows how far Zevin's writing has improved.
babyhippoface
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is the kind of book that reminds me why I am not a middle school or high school librarian. I need to be able to choose two-and-a-half stars. There were things I really liked about this book, and other things I really did not like.

The idea of a teenager who has, basically, "lost" 4 years of her life is compelling and thought-provoking. That would be so strange. Interesting to think about, and I liked that part of the story. I wanted to find out what happened to Naomi. But the more I read, th
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Certainly an intriguing concept, sort of like those day-glo-coloured afterschool early 2000's TV films that used to be on when I was a kid, but I think this book could have been so much more original and deep than it turned out to be. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but not as much as I'd been hoping.
Annabelle
FINAL RATING: 1.5 STARS

Where to begin?

First off, I suppose I should say that I wanted to read this book the moment I laid eyes on it in the bookstore. I bought it that same day and squealed as I took it home. Yes, I was that eager to read it.

Before I could do that, I had to get through City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, Clockwork Angel, Paranormalcy, and Supernaturally. Each of these books was exquisite and original, so maybe that's why this book sucked so much.

Oh, yes, and this review will c
Erin
Audio narrated by Caitlin Greer. (6h 40m)

A different plot for a YA novel that opens with the main character, Naomi, in the back of an ambulance with a boy that claims he's her boyfriend. Of course, my mind filled with a repertoire of suspense thrillers immediately went to "OMG, he tried to kill her", but no, Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac is not that kind of book. Honestly, I wish it had been a little more like that. Instead it was full of teen angst, choosing between three different guys, and t
Karin
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Naomi Porter regains consciousness as she is being put into an ambulence. She hears an unfamiliar voice claiming to be her boyfriend and opens her eyes to see him sitting beside her on the way to the hospital. The pain in her head is so severe that she doesn't worry about the fact that she has no idea who the guy is holding her hand and telling her everything is going to be okay.

In the hospital, Naomi learns that she fell down the steps of her high school and hit her head hard enough to cause br
Janina
This book really could have been good if I hadn't disliked the main character and her love interest so much.
Towards the end, it got a little bit better, but up until then, I was mostly feeling annoyed by Naomi and her behaviour. Especially since she decided to treat the characters I really liked, namly her dad and Will, rather badly. And didn't even care enough to apologize to them later when she realized she had been mean.
Zoe Stewart (yerabooknerdzoe)
2.5

I don't know how I feel about this book. I liked the idea, it only bored me a little bit, but I hated the main character. She was such an asshole to everyone, before and after her memory loss. All I know is that if I ever acted like her when I was a teenager, I would've gotten my ass kicked by everyone I love. No one would've put up with this behaviour. (view spoiler)
Tatiana
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Shelves: 2009, ya
Once in a while you come across a book that grabs your attention by its profound understanding of human nature and skillful characterization. "Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac" is one of these books.

This book is not your standard YA novel with first love and boys and kissing. When I opened the book, I expected to get something like an YA version of Meg Cabot's "Remember Me?" but ended up with a story of a girl who loses and then finds a piece of herself.

Naomi forgets 4 years of her life and is fo
Lucia
Mar 21, 2008 rated it liked it
If you happen to be one of those teens who just wants to forget what has happened the last few years, here is what you do: throw yourself down a flight of stairs!

Crazy I know! but this is a sweet book. Here is one of my favorite passages:

page 259:

"It happens, baby." Dad nodded and patted me on the hand and then he read my mind. "You forget all of it anyway. First, you forget everything you learned-the dates of the Hay-Herran Treaty and Pythagorean Theorem. You especially forget everything you di
Annalisa
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Annalisa by: YA book club
When you hear people talk about voice, this is what they are talking about. The voice in this book is fabulous: strong, funny, and intelligent. I loved it, and I loved that Zevin tells us absolutely nothing. She shows it to us. She never tells us whether to like Naomi or always what she's thinking or what to expect her to do or want or become. I can see how that could be frustrating for girls who are used to books that tell them what to think, but I thought it was refreshing and made the book al ...more
Angela
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I adored this novel. Mainly due to the author's beautiful writing style and fluid storytelling. If I were to make one complaint it would be that I wish one of the characters, whose name I shall not state due to my fear of spoilers, had more of a resolution. I fell in love with them and my mind is reeling, wondering what will become of them and if they move on, find happiness, and heal. This is one novel I am dying to read a companion to.
Heather
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
It is such a rare treat to read such remarkable and undeniably realistic characters. Zevin weaves the tale of Naomi’s self discovery with extraordinary skill and creates characters that are so alive, I feel like I know them and experienced the events of this story right along with them as opposed to merely reading about them.

In one misstep, Naomi lost years' worth of memories. After hitting her head on the steps after school, she wakes up in an ambulance, more aware of the pain than what actual
oliviasbooks
Such an interesting concept ... and yet I stopped reading at page 90. The trail of unfinished books I've left behind me since the beginning of this year starts to become alarmingly long. Still I refuse to read on when processing the scenes becomes an effort instead of fun.
Although I can understand the heroine's motivations - forming a stance, an opinion on something, coming to terms with personal calamities, growing really fond of someone takes time, and therefore it is natural that somebody wh
Mnemosyne
Jan 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
**********1.3/5**********

srsly

I actually think, personally, that Gabrielle Zevin might have been just bored the actual moment she thought of writing this book. It seemed to me as if she was just writing whatever hits her mind, not really thinking of any concrete storyline or plot or anything. It bothered me.

To think that she kept the story revolve around Naomi's quest for love or something like that for almost 10 chapters out of twelve?! WHAT THE HELL. And then right in the last remaining chapters sh
Lalitha
Oct 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Teens 9th and up
Shelves: teen
I didn't find this book as appealing as her earlier book, "Elsewhere." The protagonist, Naomi Porter, was barely likeable, and came off as extremely selfish, cranky, and just generally bitchy for no apparent reason. I'm not even sure why this book is called "Memoirs" since we get very little insight into her amnesia (she loses her memory and has to deal with the resulting high school drama, or lack of). I also disliked how there was very little resolution w/the mother-daughter issue--it's almost ...more
AH
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
My initial reaction to this book was a look of disbelief at the title. I mean, how could an amnesiac have memoirs? I opened the book and started reading and I was captivated. What an interesting concept for a book.

Naomi Porter loses a coin toss and must return to school to pickup a camera. There, she falls down the stairs and hits her head. When she regains consciousness, she can't remember anything that happened in the past 4 years. Important things, like her parents are divorced, her father is
Lisa Vegan
I wasn’t expecting this book to be funny, but much of it was quite amusing.

I’ve always been interested in amnesia. To me, we are our memories. If we lose our memories are we the same person? Do we like and dislike the same things/people, have the same beliefs? It’s one reason I was so interested in reading this book, and I think the story did a good job of addressing this issue.

This book had been languishing on my to-read shelf so I’m very grateful that the YA Book Club here at Goodreads chose i
Andrea
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Rounding up to 4 Stars
Everything about this book was appealing: characters, story, hint of mystery, language....except for the ending! It was one of those where you flip the page and your mouth gapes open with confusion. That's it? Huh? The story seemed to just stop. Admittedly, I'd prefer my endings tied up with a silky red ribbon. I can guess, of course, but ugh! (My Kindle is most definitely to blame, as well. I was at 89% when I suddenly hit the acknowledgement pages. I've noticed this happe
hanna
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, fiction, young-adult
2.5/5 stars

Meh. This wasn't anything special. Although I liked it enough to read it to pass time between classes. I felt like I was waiting for something to take place the entire time. There was barely any conflict, the whole story was missing something for me. But I loved the music playlists(its why I decided to give a half star bumping it to 2.5)
Rachel Finney
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I flew through this book. I was so close to giving it five stars, but the ending wasn't as satisfying as I hoped it would be... I wanted MORE. I love Will so much- him and his precious, devoted little soul. At times the main character frustrated me, but then I remembered she was sixteen and it made all of the sense. I highly recommend this book!!
Lauren E. Johnson
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
4/5 I really enjoyed this book! I enjoyed seeing through the main character's eyes as we went through her life with her without her memories. I also enjoyed that this story was extremely realistic when it came to teenage relationships. No insta-love or soul mate stuff, just honest to goodness real first love stuff. Highly recommend in the plot intrigues your interest.
Angela Hart
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
My rating is 3.5 or 3.75 stars, but I rounded up. The premise and character background was intriguing. Our main character, Naomi, lost four years of her life and now needs to rediscover who she is (and why).

Be Sure To Check Out My BookTube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L72C1...
Natalie
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
kim hannah
⭐⭐⭐ ┊ 3 stars

Not really sure what to say. I was disappointed. I am disappointed.

Most of the characters were not all there. Naomi was a selfish and bratty 17-year-old kid. Ace (what a name, of course he had to be good at tennis too) didn't care about anyone but himself and was so one-dimensional. James treated the people around him like crap and used his depression as an excuse to get away with it.

The only character I liked was Will. So sweet and romantic and caring and loyal.

The concept of a te
Nomes
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did. Surprised because despite loving the premise of Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin I kinda got bored in it.

I think to enjoy a head trauma/amnesiac book, it's best just to go along for the ride and read the story not getting all caught up in the logistics of the scenario, yeah?

About the book:
Naomi was a popular girl, with a jock boyfriend and a goofy best friend, Will. When she loses four years worth of memories, she doesn't really get who she turned out to be. Doesn't find anythi
Cass -  Words on Paper
Picked up @ Basement Books for $3. (Hooray for short days at uni and being able to drop by BB on the way to the train station!)

I'm kind of already engrossed in the voice, narration and story. I'm already reading so many books right now though... :/ Oh, screw it.

This book was published first, but I'd like to say that I feel a resemblence to IF I STAY. In every sense. The overall feeling is just awesome.

--------------------------------

5/5

Perfection. This story is kind of bittersweet, beautiful and
Jasmine Darcy
To be honest,this book didn't thrill me at all.The writing was dull and lifeless;I'm amazed I didn't DNF it. MOATA follows the story of a teenage girl who,like the title suggests,loses her memory by tripping down the school stairs after retrieving her camera from the school building.It starts with her waking up in hospital and having to face new,or maybe not so new, people and situations which she has vague,indistinct and futile memories of.This book deals with amnesia in a unique way despite be ...more
IRP #1 1 2 Sep 17, 2017 01:07PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin - Starting July, 30 16 18 Jul 31, 2015 01:26PM
Book Swag Book Club: Discuss 1-2 1 4 Jul 01, 2014 10:01PM

• Speak
  • Me, the Missing, and the Dead
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • How to Build a House
  • Kissing the Bee
  • Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature
  • Flash Burnout
  • Mistik Lake
  • Zigzag
  • What Happened to Cass McBride?
  • The Rules of Survival
  • Black Box
  • Spanking Shakespeare
  • The Patron Saint of Butterflies
  • Suite Scarlett (Scarlett, #1)
  • The Chosen One
  • What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know (What My Mother Doesn't Know, #2)
  • Undercover
GABRIELLE ZEVIN is an internationally bestselling author whose books have sold millions of copies and been translated into over thirty languages.

Her eighth novel, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry (2014), spent months on the New York Times Bestseller List, reached #1 on the National Indie Best Seller List, and has been a bestseller all around the world. The Toronto Globe and Mail called the book “a p
“Someday, we’ll run into each other again, I know it.
Maybe I’ll be older and smarter and just plain better. If that happens,
that’s when I’ll deserve you. But now, at this moment, you can’t hook
your boat to mine, because I’m liable to sink us both.”
1128 likes
“It was strange, really. A couple months ago, I had thought I couldn’t live without him. Apparently I could.” 770 likes