Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Leprechaun Event RaT: Read-a-Thon Daily Questions: Day 1

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 11, 2016 05:05AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod

Daily Questions/Interactions FAQ -
╰⊰✿ Each Day will have a Daily Questions (or interactions)
╰⊰✿ You may choose to participate as much or as little as you'd like. You could answer all questions one day, none another, it's all up to you!
╰⊰✿ Interactions may mean visiting other member profiles. If your profile is private, please be willing to accept new friends. If you'd rather not receive new GR friends, please skip that day's interactions.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Answer Daily Questions / Interactions in one post (keep together) then any other chatter or interaction can be done, about any of the Read-a-Thon, or Leprechaun event in general.

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 11, 2016 05:14AM) (new)

**Introduction Questions**

1: Name and/or Username
2: Where in the world are you?
3: 3 words that describe me
4: 4 things you may want to know about me
5: What, if any, are your goals for this RaT?
6: What was the last book you finished?

Day 1 : Daily Recommendations
Day 1 : Daily Tasks

message 6: by Karsyn (last edited Mar 11, 2016 08:26AM) (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) **Introduction Questions**

Karsyn or ImzadiRose.

Teeny Tiny podunk town in northwest North Carolina, near the Virgina border. Been here going on 4 years now.

best friend
wife
honest

1 - I don't work, so I spend all my time reading, gaming or on GoodReads.
2 - I built my own gaming PC just over a year ago and named him Widget (after the character in The Night Circus). Widget is AWESOME and I spend a lot of time on him, either playing games, watching something or just surfing online.
3 - I typically have 2 books going at a time, one is an ebook either on my new iPad Mini or Kindle Fire and one that is an audiobook.
4 - I read almost anything now, my preferences have really opened up in the past few years. If it sounds good to me, I'll read it. I am not a girlie girl though, no chick-lit for me. I prefer action over talking and gun fights over shopping. :)

If I wasn't hosting this, I'd aim for multiple books a day. But since I wanna chat and visit, my goals are only to read what I can mainly at night, get to know y'all through the questions and finish out any and all books I start/plan to start because of this RaT, even if it takes me a while to do so.

Since it's more of a Back Room book, the last general book I finished was Dangerous Territory, an enjoyable romantic suspense.

message 7: by Karen D (new)

Karen D | 785 comments 1: Name and/or Username
Karen (also my username. I got really creative)

Washington DC

Happy, passionate, busy

1. I sing in a choir in DC
2.I'm a huge college basketball fan and March Madness may take priority over reading. sorry!
3. I've just discovered audiobooks, about a week ago. it's absolutely changed my commute. (Although it makes it harder to figure out pages read)
4. I have two cats that love to sit on whatever book I'm trying to read.

I'm hoping this will help me beat my record of books read in a month (currently 23). Especially since the next week is super busy for me, this will remind me to make time for reading when I can!

6: What was the last book you finished? I just finished It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War by Lynsey Addario, it was such an interesting perspective of really terrifying places, and how she managed to balance her personal and professional life without sacrificing either.

message 8: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments 1: Name and/or Username
I'm Caitlyn, but everyone calls me Cait.

Currently I live in New York but the Navy calls, so we'll be moving to Jacksonville, Florida later this year.

Stubborn, loyal, mom.

1) I've been married for 8 years.
2) I have two sons, the oldest is 7 and the youngest is 4.
3) I also have two dogs. Peach is a 6 year old Golden Retriever and Jax is a 10 month old White Swiss Shepherd.
4) Other than reading, my favorite hobby is video gaming. I just discovered Witcher 3 for the Xbox One and my life is literally changed.

To only read books I WANT to read, not ones I'm forcing myself into for challenges lol A bad habit I've picked up lately.

I finished a re-read of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban last night but before that the last new book I finished was Alpine for You.

message 9: by Emily (last edited Mar 11, 2016 06:06AM) (new)

Emily | 440 comments **Introduction Questions**

Emily

I'm an American living in Leeds, UK

loyal, adventurous, engineer

*I like to travel
*I enjoy playing basketball and rugby
*I read a lot of non-fiction
*I have a very technical job and I sometimes feel that most "readers" are MFAs or librarians or writers, which can be alienating

I want to participate in the conversations. I'm a slow reader, so I don't have any book targets.

I just finished The Poisonwood Bible, which has been on my list for a looong time.

message 10: by JessicaAnn (last edited Mar 11, 2016 06:15AM) (new)

JessicaAnn Lillis (jeskalillis) | -7 comments **Introduction Questions**

My name is Jessica, sometimes Jeska.

Currently residing in Maui Hawaii, for the last 14 years. Moving to Oregon in a couple months.

1. Silly
2. Considerate
3. Open-Minded

1. I know how to crochet. I taught myself after my Grandma was diagnosed with dementia and forgot how.
2. I work late hours, then stay up all night and sleep all day.
3. March 20th is my 7th year wedding anniversary.
4. I mainly read books from the library. I don't own very many. But my wish is to have a space in my home where I can have my own little library of books that includes a comfy place to sit and read them all.

My goal is to read all the books I currently have checked out from the library. So far this month I have been finishing a book every two days, I would like to keep that up.

The last book I finished was Across the Universe. Which I thought was a fun read.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments **Introduction Questions**

A: Hi! I'm Becky a/k/a Becky The Bookworm.

A: I live in a rural area smack dab in the middle of Oklahoma.

Compassionate
Matriarch
Cowgirl

A1 - My faith and family (my husband, 3 grown sons, 2 daughters-in-law, 2 grandsons) are the driving forces in my life.

A2 - Since my youngest son left the nest, I've become hopelessly addicted to reading. My husband is now listening to audiobooks with me every evening...so much better than TV...and we are loving it!

A3 - I'm a horse person and after taking a season off for surgery I hope to rejoin my parade and trail riding teams this year. My Appaloosa mare (a two time National Drill Team Champion) is now enjoying her retirement, so I'm working with my son's horse, a younger, spunkier, Thoroughbred.

A4 - I'm a fighter. I have several disabling health conditions, but I refuse to let it ruin my life. I might have to slow down, my house might not be spotless (hey, if I win the lottery I'll get a maid), and I might deal with a lot of pain now and then, but it won't stop me from doing the things I love...even if it is in moderation. Cowgirl up...as they say.

A: To have FUN and meet new friends! And maybe read a few books... ; )

A. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. It was a re-read for me. Hubby and I listen to the audio together, but if he thinks I'm going to wait for him to catch up before I start reading Fire Touched he better just think again! I guess that means I'll be listening to the audio of Fire Touched in a few weeks as a re-read. Not that I'll complain!

message 12: by Corinne (new)

Corinne | 86 comments 1: Name and/or Username
Corinne

I'm in the state of Tennessee. :)

Determined
Loving
Intelligent

1. I am a USMC veteran and even when I get some degrees and a career, Marine will always be my favorite title (besides perhaps Mom in a few years).

2. My life changed a couple years ago when I started seeing my significant other. Now, we live together, and I consider his sons my step-kids. I'm completely in love with all of them.

3. I still call my father every day even though I've been out from under his roof for a long time. He's my favorite person in the world.

4. I'm currently going to college, a few years "late," for Accounting. I enjoy learning, but I HATE college.

I already have so many books on my to-read list, so I'm going to focus on just a page number - I want to read at least 150 pages a day.

11/22/63 by Stephen King, and it was absolutely incredible.

message 13: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Welcome ladies! Glad to see y'all joining in!

Looking forward to chatting with y'all, catching up with the ones I "know" a bit ~ looking at you Becky, and getting to know the rest of you that I don't really know yet! :)

Karen ~ figuring out page numbers on audiobooks drive me nuts too. I pretty much just stick with the percentages during it, not so much the pages, unless I need to. Awesome that you have discovered them recently, they are so great! I've been into them for about 3 years now. Oh lucky to be in DC, we're big Nats fans, since moving up here, and I hope to take my Hubby to DC one day, He would LOVE the museums. He's never been there.

Cait ~ My Hubby LOVES Witcher 3 as well. I didn't play it, mainly because I sat here and watched Him play it, so I know the story/game almost as well as He does. I'm a lot better with directions so He'd often ask me where to go, I could direct Him to somewhere He had only gone a time or two. What other games do you play? I'm a huge gamer and have been on a Skyrim kick for over a year now.

Emily ~ What took you to the UK? Do you like it over there? I wish we could move, pretty much anywhere out of the US. But, we're stuck, we were lucky enough to get help moving here. I miss traveling. I traveled a lot with my ex, that's pretty much all he does, but my Hubby and I haven't been so lucky. No traveling for us since our honeymoon in '07. :(

Jessica ~ Hawaii, what's that like living there? What's making you leave the warmth of there and head to the cold of OR? I hope you are able to read all your library books! We just celebrated our 9th anniversary on Mar 1st. It's a good month for wedding anniversaries! Congrats on your upcoming one! :)

Becky ~ HI! I'm so glad that you are close to being able to ride again, I know it was hard on you when you couldn't. Awesome that your hubby listens to audiobooks with you. That's the one thing I can't get mine to do, He absolutely hates being read to, so He won't try audiobooks. He doesn't even like it if I read a blurb of a book to Him that I think He'll like. Can't complain though, He is a reader, and that's good at least. :)

Corinne ~ Howdy neighbor. You can't be far away in the next state. :) I think where I am is only an hour or so from the border. Not really sure since we don't have a car and have barely left this town. :/ I'm sorry that you hate college, even though you like the learning. I hope you are able to read at least 150 pages a day, that's a good goal! :) My Hubby loved 11/22/63. I've been meaning to get around to it, but I keep putting it off in favorite of shorter books for challenges. One of these days I'll get around to it. :)

message 14: by Sonia (last edited Mar 11, 2016 07:32AM) (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments 1: Name and/or Username
Sonia/Darktalynn

Portugal/Lisbon - that contrary to the myth, isn't always sunny :)

Smiley
Stubborn
Inner Strength

1 - I have a special wicked smile - you know, the 'oh my god she's smiling I'm running like hell from here' smile and I loooooove opportunities to use it
2 - I start a lot of project at once but have troubles finish them
3 - I'm crazy for reading challenges. Really crazy. If one of the mods has a brilliant idea, my brain wheels (that I call chip'n dale) all start shinning and spinning and some string of complementing ideas start popping in.
4 - There is no such thing as spending way too much time on goodreads or spending too much on books.

No expectations. I have read a total of maybe less than 200 pages since Anubis won tower teams and real life is a mess. So. No worries, just happiness.

The Fix, by Anne Tenino. A short story that took me way too long for Around The World Challenge.

[Edited]: I just realized the less than 200 pages is true if I don't count Fire Touched, LOL.

message 15: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Becky, Fire Touched was AMAZING!!!! I got it as an ARC and couldn't put it down. The best on the series IMO.

message 16: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments 1: Name and/or Username
Stacie

Right now I'm at work in Arlington, VA but I live in College Park, MD

Caring, sarcastic, ambitious

1) In the fall I am starting a 2nd Masters program
2) My cats are my children
3) I have a Pi tattoo
4) I have an overactive imagination that often makes dreaming quite annoying

I don't think I have any. Just to chat and meet people!

I finished Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas this morning

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments **Introduction Questions**

Hi all! My name is Jen. My username (on Goodreads, at least) is the same. ;-)

I'm currently in Tucson, Arizona, where I've lived unofficially since September of 2012 and officially since January of 2013. I moved here from Seattle, Washington, to help my mother take care of my father. Dad died in September of 2014 and I'm hoping to move back north sometime soon, but it's looking doubtful. :'( I can't afford to move on my own and I think, though we haven't talked about it, that my mother wants me to live here with her until she either moves or dies. :'(

Silly
Disabled
Reader ;-)

1) I am 100% disabled by Major Depressive Disorder and three severe anxiety disorders (a Generalized Anxiety Disorder; Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia; and a History of Dependent Personality Disorder). I also have less-major physical disabilities, in that I walk with a cane to support my weight (and my left knee; both knees are bad but the left is the worst) and I have both carpal tunnel and tendinitis.
2) I read mostly "fluff," as I call it. Paranormal Romances and Urban Fantasies are my favorites. I also love other types of paranormal and fantasy tales, and some science fiction (especially if there's romance). I read other stuff, too, but I tend to avoid Westerns and most nonfiction.
3) I don't have any human kids and don't ever plan to have any. Instead, I have a furry son: His name is Max and he'll be three in May. I've had him since he was only five-and-a-half weeks old. I love him dearly and he is truly my son in every way that matters. :-)
4) I get overwhelmed fairly easily, but I love Goodreads challenges and NBRC's team challenges and I'm having fun participating in NBRC's March challenges, even though the linkages between them make me want to pull out my hair, sometimes. ;-)

I hope to participate in all the activities, but I also want to READ. I tend to get too distracted by Goodreads at the cost of my reading, so I'm hoping to find a better - a true - balance in these next two weeks. :-)

The last book I finished was Bloodshifted by Cassie Alexander. Turns out, that was a reread for me; I finished it last night. The last book-I-read-for-the-first-time that I finished was Secrets of the Dragon Tomb by Patrick Samphire, which is a middle-grade adventure novel that I really enjoyed. I really enjoyed the reread, too. ;-)

message 18: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments @Karsyn- That's hilarious! My husband is the same way, he can never figure out where to go although he's better at the combat once he gets there. So far I would say Witcher is my favorite game but I also really enjoyed Fable and all the Dragon Ages. World of Warcraft and Heroes of the Storm for PC :)

message 19: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments **Introduction Questions**

Molly! My username is Molly Rotondo

North Jersey

Sweet, kooky, reader

1. I am a huge Seinfeld fan. I can quote whole conversations from the show.
2. My family and I go to Disney World every year on vacation. No other vacation compares for us.
3. I have a book buying problem :) I buy books faster than I can read them. I have over 50 books on my bookshelves upstairs waiting to be read, but I just keep buying more.
4. I work in a federal government office in a city where the traffic makes you want to rip your hair out.

I want to learn more about the people in this group and what they like to read!

Slade HouseDavid Mitchell

message 20: by Samantha (last edited Mar 11, 2016 09:09AM) (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments 1: Name and/or Username
Samantha

Southern California, USA

Silly, caring, listener

- I was born and raised in Iowa - I didn't move to California till 3 years ago
- The first book I read by myself was Big Pumpkin
- I worked for Boys Town for 3 years and am just about to start working for Childtime (a preschool) where I get paid to take care of babies and toddlers <3
- My brother and I are getting married a month and 3 days from each other this year :)

To help me stay motivated to read all the books I need to for the LRPG. I've got the books all picked out (for the most part) - I just need to read them now.

I'd also like to get to know more people in the group :)

Dead Poets Society

message 21: by Teresa (last edited Mar 11, 2016 09:11AM) (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 1260 comments **Introduction Questions**

Teresa
Alberta, Canada
Shy, Tall, Kind
Mother of 2, loves M/M romance, favourite colours are pink and purple, loves cats
to remember to record what I read :)
Job Hunt

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments @Emily, did you like The Poisonwood Bible? It's been on my to-read list for a long time as well.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  | 194 comments 1: Name and/or Username

Stephanie- my username is Stephanie (R-A) because there are so many of us on the website.

Washington State in the USA

Creative, determined and smart

1. I am currently trying to get a book published.
2. I am a mother of two girls, 6 and 8.
3. I am an all or nothing person, there seems to be very little room for me to be in between- so, either my house is practically spotless or it is a disaster, etc. You get the idea.
4. I love all things fantasy, sci-fi and superheroes. So, essentially, nerd in the extreme, and proud of it. :)

I set myself a HUGE reading goal for March of 17 books (I tend to read about 10 a month, so it feels very daunting). I have already read 4, so over the next couple of weeks I need to knock out 8 or 9 to be anywhere close to achieving that goal. We will see what happens.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman. It was pretty good. I kind of wished that it didn't have the sex stuff in it because then I could recommend it to my oldest daughter, but it was a nice modern fairy tale for teenagers and adults.

message 24: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ Introduction Questions

Barbara (using Barbara★ to differentiate in SRC challenge)

Recently moved from New Jersey to Ohio. A big mistake.

organized
loyal
reader

- I don't have any children but I do have 6 cats.
- I'm single and loving it.
- I used to love cross-stitch but since I discovered GRs I haven't stitched a single stitch. I keep meaning to start again but there is always another book to read.
- Ohio is a pit-stop because I couldn't afford to go to the west coast as I wanted (Washington state) but I'm not giving up yet. I will get where I want to go eventually.

For the last 6 weeks I've been working a split shift which is really messing up my reading time so I'm hoping to get a few extra books read during the RaT.

Dark Sapphire

message 25: by JessicaAnn (last edited Mar 11, 2016 10:41AM) (new)

JessicaAnn Lillis (jeskalillis) | -7 comments Karsyn wrote: "Welcome ladies! Glad to see y'all joining in!

Jessica ~ Hawaii, what's that like living there? What's making you leave the warmth of there and head to the cold of OR? I hope you are able to read all your library books! We just celebrated our 9th anniversary on Mar 1st. It's a good month for wedding anniversaries! Congrats on your upcoming one! :)
."

-I enjoy Hawaii. It will always be my home, since I literally spent half my life here. But the cost of living is getting to be too high for my husband and I. He works two full time jobs, I only work part-time. I should either get a second job or work full time as well, but I don't want to and I don't want him to have to work two jobs. We have been talking about moving for awhile now. But since things didn't go as I was hoping with my job, we decided that we should just go. My husband has family in Oregon, that is why we chose Oregon. My family is from California. But I don't really care where we go, we just need a change. I feel that it is easier to live here when you were born here and you have that big extended family here to support you. We don't really have that.

-The ladies who have mentioned video games. I also, like to play, though I will go awhile without playing, then go back to them. I guess it is the same with reading for me. But I like the same games that you guys do. Fable and Skyrim and Witcher 3. Though I didn't get very far in Witcher 3, before my husband exchanged it for something new. I am probably going to make him buy it for me at some point!

message 26: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Barbara ★ wrote: "Introduction Questions

Barbara (using Barbara★ to differentiate in SRC challenge)

Recently moved from New Jersey to Ohio. A big mistake.

3:..."

Hi Barbara. I'm sorry to see you moved out of New Jersey. Where did you live when you were here?

message 27: by Joi (last edited Mar 11, 2016 10:55AM) (new)

Joi | 663 comments 1: Name and/or Username
Joi
GA
Disabled
Confused
Lonely
4: 4 things you may want to know about me.
1.) I just got diagnosed with bipolar and PTSD. I don't know where to go from here (Hence the confusion). I also have scoliosis and arthritis.
2.)I don't work, although I think I want to.
3.)I like to read mysteries, thrillers, suspense, and YA.
4.)I don't like socializing with people. Goodreads is the closest I come to that. When I leave my house, the only two places I could be going is to the library or to get food.
My goals are to finish at least four books.
Between the World and Me

message 28: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments @Joi, one of my good friends was diagnosed with bipolar type 2. I'm sure it's really confusing for you, but at least it's nice to put a name to what's going on, or at least it was with my friend. She would stay awake for 24+hours, then sleep for an entire day, missing her classes. That was in college a few years ago and now that she knows how to manage it, she's in grad school now. It's not the end of the world :)

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2767 comments **Introduction Questions**

My name is Melissa and my user name is the same :)

I am in the United States in Pennsylvania right out side of the Philadelphia area.

Reader!!
Fun
Dreamer

I have loved reading since I was a baby (according to my mom!)
I have two daughters who love to read as much as I do.
I'm getting married next June!
I love all things Disney.

Just to read. This is my first RaT. I've done other challenges before but I wanted to try my hand at this one.

The last book I read was The Iron Knight. I finally finished that series. I enjoyed it very much.

message 30: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 3421 comments Mod
Sophie

Just south of London in the UK

Thoughtful
Compassionate
Stressed!

I'm buying a house and getting married this year (hence stressed)
I used to read books everywhere - including while walking down stairs so audiobooks have really reduced my danger reading
I knit
I wish there were more hours in the day!

Same as Melissa - just to sit and read. It gets missed out with everything else going on

N is for Noose

message 31: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments **Introduction Questions**

Jex

Seattle, WA, USA

Gamer, Anxious, geek

1. My addictions of video games and books often compete for my attention.
2. I am founding member of a convention called GeekGirlCon which is awesome and you should check it out.
3. I watch a lot of TV as I always need background noise. So many shows, so little time really.
4. I love anything dystopian (tv show, book, game, etc.) and really love zombie stuff.

My goal is to read at least 50 pages a day. Doesn't sound like much, but that's usually difficult for me to fit in.

The Rise of Nine

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Sonia wrote: "Becky, Fire Touched was AMAZING!!!! I got it as an ARC and couldn't put it down. The best on the series IMO."

OH, you were so LUCKY!!!! I'm DYING to get started! I pre-ordered the book and it's just sitting here...tempting me...while I kick myself for filling up my currently reading shelf. It's next up! YAY!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments OMGosh! Look at all these lovely posts! I can't wait to read them all and "meet" everybody! I'll get caught up on all the posts this afternoon!

message 34: by Rylie (new)

Rylie | 298 comments **Introduction Questions**

I just go by my name, Rylie, on here.
Indianapolis, Indiana.
Open-minded, kind, adventurous
I’ve been trying my hand at freelance writing and blogging, while I wait to get back in to college. This gives me quite a bit of time to read as well. I love to both read and write, so it’s pretty much awesome. :)
I love gaming. I’m both a D&D player and dungeon master, I play any game I, as a totally blind person, can, and my boyfriend, as my eyes, and I, played through basically all of Skyrim and its DLC.
Which brings me to, I’m totally blind. I’ve been that way since birth.
I enjoy spirituality and mysticism. I love learning about and studying all world faiths because I believe they all have something to teach us.
I want to keep up on all of the reading I’ve been doing, find more books and authors via recommendations, and most importantly interact with people in the group.
The Great Zoo of China

message 35: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Hope everyone doesn't mind my lumped together responses, otherwise we're gonna have a 1000 post thread. Wait, is that a bad thing? :)

Sonia ~ You know when I first joined you as a mod I didn't know WHAT the heck chip and dale were. I wasn't going to tell you that though. Took a few times of you posting it before I realized. :D

Stacie ~ Chatting and getting to know more people is a good thing, I think. :) Hope you have fun doing it!

Jen ~ I hope you are able to find your balance over these next 2 weeks. Sometimes it's hard to ignore the chatter, and it's fun too. That's why I didn't worry about my own goals, which are usually beyond lofty. Just going with the flow this time. :)

@Cait ~ is your hubby direction challenged in real life as well? My Hubby is, sooooo bad. I don't understand it just as He doesn't understand how I can remember where to go on things. He couldn't get into Skyrim because there wasn't a direct path (like Witcher 3) so He kept running into mountains. I just take my horse up and over 'em. :)

Molly ~ ahhhh, a WDW fan. I miss the parks. I spent most of my life less than 30 minutes (and as close as 5 minutes) from the entrance to the parks. I'm a former cast member (of all the majors ~ Epcot specifically, Sea World & IOA) and I did special events in the parks for 6 years. The parks are the only thing I miss about FL. I hated it in general, but the parks were everything. Miss 'em all.

Samantha ~ I hope you are able to get all (or at least most) of your LRPG books read. That's a great goal. Do you always plan out your books in advance? I'm always amazed by book planners. I'm a "Fly-by-er". I read what I feel like when I feel like it and I can't plan worth crap. If I plan, it's just a guarantee that I won't read those books! :)

message 36: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Sets of 6 seem reasonable. :)

Teresa ~ Do you usually not keep track of what you read? I hope you are able to keep that goal! :)

Stephanie R-A ~ I hope you are able to meet your goal! It's always great when you push your own limits and then surpass them! Just don't be down on yourself if you don't. It's all meant to be fun, so enjoy!! :)

Barbara ~ I hope you are able to find time among the crazy work time. A Read-a-thon is always a good time to try to get back on track. I hope you are able to!

@JessicaAnn ~ I hear you on the cost of living issues. I can't image how expensive everything must be down there. That really sucks!! It seems like it'd be so beautiful, but places like that, touristy, are always crazy expensive. We had the same thing when we lived in central FL. Just couldn't do it anymore. I hope you are able to get to get your change. We had ours almost 4 years ago to come up here. YAY another Skyrim fan! Love that game, it's so fun, even though I'm doing the modding stuff just as much, if not more, than the main game. :) I hope you are able to get Witcher 3 again, it does seem like a great game.

Joi ~ nice to see you around Joi. I hope you are able to meet your goals! Just have fun with it and enjoy when you have reading time and try to leave everything else behind. :)

Melissa ~ yay, another Disney fan. :) What are you favorites? Welcome to your first RaT. This is my..... hmmm. I don't even know. 10 at least that I've been a part of, 2nd (or is it 3rd? No I think it's 2nd) that I've actually done/hosted myself. I hope you enjoy it! It's set up a bit different than most, so I hope everyone has fun. :)

message 37: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Karsyn wrote: "Hope everyone doesn't mind my lumped together responses, otherwise we're gonna have a 1000 post thread. Wait, is that a bad thing? :)

Sonia ~ You know when I first joined you as a mod I didn't kno..."

Oh wow! This is my dream! My mom and I always say that if we win the lottery we will move to FL and work in the parks. I'd work the Peter Pan ride and she'd work the hot dog stand in Liberty Square :) One of my biggest regrets is not doing the Disney Internship program in college. I was too afraid to go by myself. But now all I want to do is leave the crazy city I work in and get a job with Disney. I am hoping someday this dream comes true. May I ask what you did as a cast member in the parks? What special events did you work on?

message 38: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Samantha wrote: "@Joi, one of my good friends was diagnosed with bipolar type 2. I'm sure it's really confusing for you, but at least it's nice to put a name to what's going on, or at least it was with my friend. S..."

That is good to know. I recently re-enrolled in college, so the information you shared is really reassuring. I stopped going to school before because I didn't know what was going on with me. So now that I do know what's wrong, it's time for me to figure out what to do about it. It is good to know that it's not the end of the world. Thank you.!

message 39: by Angie ☯ (last edited Mar 11, 2016 02:35PM) (new)

Angie ☯ | 1041 comments 1: Name and/or Username
Angie
East Tennessee
Caring, Stubborn, Geek
- I'm a book hoarder! Even on my kindle; I have over 1000 books not read. I have several book shelves with books stacked 2 or 3 deep.
- I love to travel - anywhere, even just to the beach - and I read when I travel.
- I have been a member of Goodreads for several years. But I just started actually visiting the site regularly in November with the BOMs. I started my first challenge with the Around the World Reading Team Challenge. I love it!! BOM has let me branch out from my "normal" reading choices and the challenge, well, it is very addictive.
- I love to play Fantasy Football!
Just to have fun! Meet some members and get in some additional reading as well, but no set reading goals.
Every Crooked Path
by a local author - Steven James - I love his books!

message 40: by Karsyn (last edited Mar 11, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Molly wrote: "But now all I want to do is leave the crazy city I work in and get a job with Disney. I am hoping someday this dream comes true. May I ask what you did as a cast member in the parks? What special events did you work on?"

LOL! I can talk Disney all day (still) if you wanna message about it. I moved to FL when I was 13 and had annual passes every year for 16 of the 22 years I lived there. You know those survey takers at the front of the parks? When they'd stop me and ask me how many times I've been there, I gave the highest number they could enter ~ 999. :)

Did you ever go to Epcot when the Wonders of Life pavilion was still open? I worked there at the Body Wars attraction for about 2 years. After that, I worked at Sea World at Wild Arctic then at IOA at the Suess Trolley, though at all the parks I was able to work other places briefly as well.

I met my ex while working at Body Wars and he's still there, he' a lifer. He's been there, I can't even remember how long now, over 20 years I believe. He's a lead at Animal Kingdom for the attractions (well, last I knew anyways, not like I talk to him anymore). Last I knew his mother worked there and my own birth monster worked there as well. All about the parks we were.

I worked with a outside company to do the special events. We did birthdays, anniversaries, engagements and so on. We did scavenger hunt type events and it was a TON of fun. I actually really miss that. I have good memories from it, like the Disney Virgin (a 70+ year old man in MK for the first time).

It's really not hard to get a job at any of the parks, if you are able to get down there. They have their good and bad sides, but everything does.

message 41: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Angie wrote: "6: What was the last book you finished?
Every Crooked Path
by a local author - Steven James - I love his books! "

Oh that's neat that he's local for you. I've read all the Bower's books up until that one. I thought Checkmate was going to be the last one, so I was surprised when I saw that one come out. I got a little bored with it by Checkmate but I'd still read more. It's a good series overall I think.

message 42: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments **Introduction Questions**

JoLene -- I sometimes go by trvl2mtns

Just outside of San Francisco, but we just bought a retirement house near Yosemite

adventurous, enthusiastic, grateful

- I love to play with string: knitting, needlepoint and occasionally crochet
- Also a gamer, but I love board games.
- I may be a bit competitive --- so I love reading challenges but they stress me out sometimes (because I'm not a super fast reader). It is a wonderful thing when you can read one book to count for multiple challenges.
- I have breast cancer and just finished 3 weeks of radiation today!!!! This is my second time dealing with it.

Since I just finished treatment, but the side effects of tiredness will continue for a couple weeks, I'm not going to set any goals.

Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn

message 43: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Joi wrote: "Samantha wrote: "@Joi, one of my good friends was diagnosed with bipolar type 2. I'm sure it's really confusing for you, but at least it's nice to put a name to what's going on, or at least it was ..."

I'm so glad that information helped you :) That really made my day!

message 44: by Samantha (last edited Mar 11, 2016 03:42PM) (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Karsyn wrote: "Hope everyone doesn't mind my lumped together responses, otherwise we're gonna have a 1000 post thread. Wait, is that a bad thing? :)

Sonia ~ You know when I first joined you as a mod I didn't kno..."

When there's a lot of books that I have to read, I definitely plan. For February, I was doing so many buddy reads as well as BoMs, I literally planned what chapters I would read of each book for each day. It was intense haha. This month, I'm trying to just focus on reading the LRPG books because even 20 books is a lot for me to accomplish. By planning out the books, I can guarantee that I'm going to complete the quests (if I read that is) instead of jumping by whim on what I want to read.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments 1: Name and/or Username Carmen
2: Where in the world are you? Long Island, New York
3: 3 words that describe me Friendly, fighter, dependable
1. I love vacationing with my family.
2. Never go anywhere without a book.
3. Love music, movies and anything entertaining.
4. I never let my medical issues defeat me.

5: What, if any, are your goals for this RaT? To participate as much as possible.
Raid by Kristen Ashley

message 46: by Rylie (new)

Rylie | 298 comments Samantha wrote: "Karsyn wrote: "Hope everyone doesn't mind my lumped together responses, otherwise we're gonna have a 1000 post thread. Wait, is that a bad thing? :)

Sonia ~ You know when I first joined you as a m..."

Sometimes I start planning, and then a book sneaks up and is like, you better read me and only me and nothing else! So I'll have a few things planned out, but I still leave room for books that slip in. It's pretty cool when a book slips in, and it still works for one challenge or another, even if I didn't plan it that way at all.

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2767 comments Karsyn wrote: "Sets of 6 seem reasonable. :)

Teresa ~ Do you usually not keep track of what you read? I hope you are able to keep that goal! :)

Stephanie R-A ~ I hope you are able to meet your goal! It's alway..."

Pretty much all things Disney lol. Tangled has to be my favorite Disney movie recently tho and older movies The Little Mermaid. We went to Disney in October and it was the best!

message 48: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I'd like to jump in and add that I too love Disney! Mostly the animated classics. :-) My favorite would have to be WALL-E. Or maybe A Bug's Life. I think those are the two that I have watched and re-watched the most times. :-)

message 49: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Catching up! :)

Sophie ~ I hope you've found some time today to sit down and read, I agree about not enough hours in the day! Hope everyone enjoyed the first day of the read-a-thon. Lots more to go, thankfully. :)

Jex ~ You sound like my kind of gal. :) I love gaming chicks. I have a really close friend and she's awesome, except she wouldn't touch a game if you paid her money to. I think she's nuts and she thinks I'm nuts for spending so much time in Skyrim. :) I wish I lived out your way, I'd try to get to your conventions. Funny enough I've only ever been to one type and it was for theme parks, my other passion. :)

Rylie ~ I'm sorry you didn't like Great Zoo more. I'm a big Reilly fan, I love everything he's done (well, not his first book so much) and Great Zoo is one of my favorites. It's not for everyone, I just wish you'd liked it more. I like it when people really love my recommendations! :D

Angie ~ Oh you are in for so much fun if Around the World is your first challenge. Just wait until we do another big team challenge. They get really crazy and fun. Of course this kind is pretty fun too, I think. I hope you are having a good time, and continue to with the group!

JoLene ~ What's San Fransisco like? My Hubby and I always talk about places where we would like to visit and we think we'd like it there. We're a little wild and wacky and I think the city would fit our personality pretty well. Take it easy and enjoy your books for the read-a-thon!!

@Samantha ~ WOW that you even planned on chapters to read. That's so crazy! I'm glad that planning out helps you, if you enjoy it that's what matters. I can't do it. Sometimes I can do it a little bit, like I'm leveling up my magic for RPG and I found a short audio series that I could read and figured I'd just use all them cuz it was one more book than the level I'm at. I did read the first 4, but then the 5th one is longer so I decided to read a different #5 instead but I was only on #4 so I had to read that first. This has all been in the last 2-3 days, so I couldn't plan for anything more than that. :)

Carmen ~ Welcome! I hope that you'll enjoy participating! I have a lot planned coming up with more interactions like this and some more detailed stuff too. Hopefully everyone will walk away having read a ton of books, met new friends and had fun! :D

@Melissa ~ ya know, I haven't watched any of the new stuff. Well, almost nothing. I watched Frozen, but I'd say the last movie I saw before that would have been Mulan, or Toy Story 3. I'm a fan of the older stuff and my favorites are a toss up between Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. Awesome that you enjoyed your trip. I assume Disney World?

message 50: by Rylie (new)

Rylie | 298 comments Karsyn wrote: "Catching up! :)

Sophie ~ I hope you've found some time today to sit down and read, I agree about not enough hours in the day! Hope everyone enjoyed the first day of the read-a-thon. Lots more to..."

I actually liked Great Zoo more than you probably think I do. It's about a 3.5 for me. I loved, I mean, seriously loved the whole idea of the zoo and everything in it and all of its explanations. And, I do really enjoy action, but this was just, so big, and constant, with no breaks, at all.
I read Riley's interview at the end, and he said it's the biggest, actionwise, of all his books. So, I would probably really enjoy some of his others.
So don't be hard on yourself. :) Being between liking it and really liking it is still quite an enjoyable read for me, and I'll still take any recommendations you throw my way.

« previous 1 3