Start by marking “Dead Poets Society” as Want to Read:
Dead Poets Society

Dead Poets Society

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  47,310 ratings  ·  1,385 reviews
Todd Anderson and his friends at Welton Academy can hardly believe how different life is since their new English professor, the flamboyant John Keating, has challenged them to "make your lives extraordinary! " Inspired by Keating, the boys resurrect the Dead Poets Society--a secret club where, free from the constraints and expectations of school and parents, they let their ...more
Published September 8th 1998 by Starfire (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Poets Society, please sign up.
Amy It came after, though it was based on an earlier version of the script so there are different scenes in the book compared to the movie.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Archita Mitra Mr. Perry undoubtedly. He wanted the best for his son but couldn't see that his aspirations were suffocating Neil. Neil says he feels "trapped", and h…moreMr. Perry undoubtedly. He wanted the best for his son but couldn't see that his aspirations were suffocating Neil. Neil says he feels "trapped", and his parents instead of trying to help their son try to force their dreams on him. Mr. Keating, on the other hand, encourages Neil to chase his own dreams and confront his demons. He advises him to talk to his father, and compliments him on his performance. His father drags him away. Neil's grades weren't falling. If Mr. Perry had allowed Neil to continue acting on the side as long as he manages his education, he could have saved his son's life. (less)

·  47,310 ratings  ·  1,385 reviews

Start your review of Dead Poets Society
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dead poets society‬, N.H. Kleinbaum

Dead Poets Society is a 1989 American drama film directed by Peter Weir, written by Tom Schulman, and starring Robin Williams. Set in 1959 at the fictional elite conservative Vermont boarding school Welton Academy, it tells the story of an English teacher who inspires his students through his teaching of poetry.

In the autumn of 1959, shy Todd Anderson begins his senior year of high school at Welton Academy, an all-male, elite prep school. He is assigned one of
Maria
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I went to the woods because I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life! To put to rout all that was not life. And not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

“Carpe Diem,”... “Seize the day. Make your lives extraordinary.”

I watched Deat Poets Society movie a few years ago and I still sometimes watch its clips. It’s one of my all-time favorite
movies. A week ago I was scrolling through my Goodreads feeds and found this book and I screamed like
WHAT??? THIS BOOK DO EX
KyneWynn
I started to read this book -- and couldn't get past the first chapter -- unfortunately, like other, books written after the movie was made, it falls short of literary sparkle. I love the movie though, and for me it will always be a reminder. My husband, son, and daughter were in a stage version of this play -- for opening night. My husband died that night. This is a poem I wrote about the juxtaposition of the two:

In Fifty-five Words

Father and son,
Playing father and son:
On stage, the dial
Ladan
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
O Captain! my Captain!
our fearful trip is done, The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won, The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! O heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain!
rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the sho
Ivana Simanungkalit
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: fiction
Carpe Diem!
Seize the day!!
This is my favorite movie and novel all the time. Poets, wise words, experiences, love, passion and youth are things that make life beautiful. This story is a best learning for student-wants-to-be-teacher in the future (yeah..just like me) because lots of things mentioned in this story should be realized by us...all of us.
Mina
Feb 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
I can't remember ever rating a book at one star. Oh, yes I do. Wuthering Heights. And I HATE that book.

Okay. I love this film. Loved it in the late 80s and I love it still. The movie is not based on the book; the book is based on the movie.

It's not great. It's little more than a copy of the screen play. (Which probably would have been a better read.) The writing was poor. Drab. Telling. The author quoted the school dog. "Gggrrr." I'm not kidding. There were some small liberties taken, as I assu
K. Elizabeth
3 / 5

A meaningful book and classic (though I think this was written based off the movie?); it’s a story that everyone should read/watch. That being said, even though I enjoyed this, I was left a little disappointed and wanting more.

While I didn’t see that ending with Neil (but I completely understand why it went that way), I wish the rest of the characters could have been more developed and less dramatic. This entire short novel felt too theatrical and only a few characters seemed to have thei
Settare
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Settare by: Ghazaleh
Shelves: childrens
I read this when I was fourteen, and at the time, I loved it so much I started rereading it right away. If I recall correctly, at some point I even considered it to be the best book I'd read. I mean, what can you do, fourteen-year-olds get emotional about books.

(I still have fond memories of this book and its movie, of course.)
Tukunjil Nayeera
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-lit
We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

আহা.. কি চমৎকার একটা কথা!!

মুভিটা দেখেছিলাম অনেক আগে। নিচের সিনটা রিওয়াইন্ড করে কতবার যে দেখেছি তার কোনো হিসেব নেই!

Oh captain! My Captain!

আমার কাছে মুভির চাইতে বইয়ের আবেদন বরাবরই বেশী। তাই মুভি দেখার পরপরই ঠিক করে ফেলি বইটা
Michelle Curie
Sep 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
"Because we're only going to a experience a limited number of springs, summers, and falls. One day, as hard as it is to believe, each and every one of us is going to stop breathing, turn cold, and die!"

We all have teachers that shaped us more than others. And those who have left a lasting impact on us are to be appreciated and be thankful for. Dead Poets Society is a love letter to an exemplary one and while the message is sweet, the execution is nothing but clumsy.

This is one of those rare
Shiva
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles today
Tomorrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And while ye may, go marry;
For having lost but once your prime,
You may foreve
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
This is a coming of age book which resonated with me. I read this when I was thirteen. Whilst it is a book featuring boys in a boarding school, I could still empathize. The pressures they were under, I felt too at that age. One could say, what kind of pressure and isolation could a 13 year possible experience? It is all a matter of perspective and expectations. For an asian child of immigrants, the desire to succeed and do well are very strong. This book, it was a reading assignment from my eigh ...more
Zehra Uzun
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Oh Captain, My Captain!" :'(
Marija *There's No Poetry In My Soul, Just A List Of Lies I've Told*
"Dead Poets Society" is one of my favorite movies of all times. Actually, I like every movie that has Robin Williams in it. That man brought such joy to life even though he wasn't like that in real life. The world miss him greatly. So it wasn't no surprise I adored the book version of this magnificent movie. I like stories about friendships in a young age because I believe those friendships are the strongest if you find the right person. I also like good teachers. I haven't had much chance to me ...more
Em*bedded-in-books*
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: None
Was lustreless. The beginning was okayish, but had to force myself to read the latter half. Perhaps I am a hardened boring adult, and not being a poetry fan too doesn't help.
I found Mr. Keating, the eccentric English teacher, the impressionable youngsters and their dramatic ways quite astonishing. Didn't feel empathy towards a single character but for Neal, that too not much.
The Dead Poets Society idea was good, but they totally deviated from appreciation of literature and poetry.
I stared disli
Milena
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
💖💖💖 My new fave book💖💖💖
Julia
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: notebooks, tbp-2019
3,5*
For those of you who wonder: the book is based on the movie and you notice that while reading
Fatima Haleem
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
beata
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4,5
that ending left me in pieces
Sabrina
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
One of my favourite movies ever!

"The human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, “O me! O life!… of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless… of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?” Answer. That you are here – that life exists, and identity; that the powe
Krubha
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Krubha by: Indian Readers Group read
Shelves: 2016reads, stars-3
I loved this book only for the quoted poetry and John Keating all other things stand out as overtly romanticized drama that I have probably outgrown and so fails to invoke any interest in me. I have heard about the movie though not watched it and I mistook that the movie was based on the book, whereas it is the other way round.

All three stars for the poetry that made it a nostalgic read.
Tisha
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"...medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life.
But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for."

I cannot express in words how much I love these two lines!
Mizuki
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
if you wanna read YA which has a good story and meaningful messages or two, read this one!
paula.
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
UPDATE ON THE FUCKING MOVIE

i LOVED it. it works so so well. and the gay vibes are so much stronger.
i wish that the book would’ve been more like the movie in terms of say, atmosphere, tone.
the message came across so much better and i am just gonna forget the damn book.

(todd and neil are so so precious i love them so much and they love each other very much)

—————

i am very much aware that this book is based on the movie and that i have not watched the movie (yet) is fatal but that doesn't change th
Nora
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the start I was intrigued. Frankly, I wanted to watch the movie first, but after a change of mind, I sought the book first. In small number of pages, I was touched and inspired. I never see myself as a poetry admirer, yet I synced with every verse. The friendships and solidarity were heart warming. Not to mention, everyone needs Mr. Keating in their lives. Damn I even teared up a bit at the end. Great book. Now let’s watch the movie.
Krista Claudine Baetiong
Seize the day and make the most out of life, let your own voice be heard, turn your dreams into reality, find that one verse from among the multitude of poems or songs that will greatly define you, do not be afraid to contradict or ask questions.

I loved the movie when I saw it years ago, and reading this book adaptation brought back the nostalgia of having cried buckets over Neil Perry and Mr. John Keating (played by Robin Williams) and the realization that, after all these years, I have yet to
Sabrina
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, books-read

"We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race, and the human race is filled with passion."

A breathtaking story that comes with a great message. Deserves extra points for the beautiful poetry and for making me cry like a child :‘)

"You must strive to find your own voice and the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all."

Nis
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
The movie>> ...more
Andrea
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I hated how women were depicted and that ending was awful, the underlying message and the literary references made me enjoy the book in the end.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to watching the movie adaptation.

• A Beautiful Mind
  • Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump, #1)
  • Braveheart
  • The Pursuit of Happyness
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • Good Will Hunting
  • James Cameron's Titanic
  • Rain Man
  • Galileo's Commandment: 2,500 Years of Great Science Writing
  • Steel Magnolias
Nancy Horowitz Kleinbaum ist eine US-amerikanische Schriftstellerin und Journalistin. Bekannt wurde sie als Autorin des Romans zum Film „Der Club der toten Dichter“, den sie 1989 auf der Grundlage des Drehbuchs von Tom Schulman schrieb.

News & Interviews

“So avoid using the word ‘very’ because it’s lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted. Don’t use very sad, use morose. Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women - and, in that endeavor, laziness will not do. It also won’t do in your essays.” 1099 likes
“No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.” 439 likes