Start by marking “Dead Poets Society” as Want to Read:
Dead Poets Society

Dead Poets Society

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  77,602 ratings  ·  5,083 reviews
Todd Anderson and his friends at Welton Academy can hardly believe how different life is since their new English professor, the flamboyant John Keating, has challenged them to "make your lives extraordinary! " Inspired by Keating, the boys resurrect the Dead Poets Society--a secret club where, free from the constraints and expectations of school and parents, they let their ...more
Published September 8th 1998 by Starfire (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Poets Society, please sign up.
Amy It came after, though it was based on an earlier version of the script so there are different scenes in the book compared to the movie.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Archita Mitra Mr. Perry undoubtedly. He wanted the best for his son but couldn't see that his aspirations were suffocating Neil. Neil says he feels "trapped", and h…moreMr. Perry undoubtedly. He wanted the best for his son but couldn't see that his aspirations were suffocating Neil. Neil says he feels "trapped", and his parents instead of trying to help their son try to force their dreams on him. Mr. Keating, on the other hand, encourages Neil to chase his own dreams and confront his demons. He advises him to talk to his father, and compliments him on his performance. His father drags him away. Neil's grades weren't falling. If Mr. Perry had allowed Neil to continue acting on the side as long as he manages his education, he could have saved his son's life. (less)

·  77,602 ratings  ·  5,083 reviews

Start your review of Dead Poets Society
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Sep 09, 2022 rated it did not like it
What is wrong with the author.

Watch the movie. This book shouldn't exist.

The author wrote it after the movie and decided to add a pointless SA scene and some other questionable things... it's just nowhere near as good so don't waste your time.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dead Poets Society, Nancy H. Kleinbaum ​Kleinbaum

Todd Anderson and his friends at Welton Academy can hardly believe how different life is since their new English professor, the flamboyant John Keating, has challenged them to make your lives extraordinary!

Inspired by Keating, the boys resurrect the Dead Poets Society--a secret club where, free from the constraints and expectations of school and parents, they let their passions run wild.

As Keating turns the boys on to the great words of Byron, S
Maria
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I went to the woods because I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life! To put to rout all that was not life. And not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

“Carpe Diem,”... “Seize the day. Make your lives extraordinary.”

I watched Deat Poets Society movie a few years ago and I still sometimes watch its clips. It’s one of my all-time favorite
movies. A week ago I was scrolling through my Goodreads feeds and found this book and I screamed like
WHAT??? THIS BOOK DO EX
persephone ☾
i didn't expect the ending at all, but like never in a million years would i have predicted that ??
also, don't know about y'all, but Neil and Todd's relationship seemed very homoerotic to me 😏
Lucy
Mar 17, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
lacked the homoerotic subtext of the movie, absolutely pointless
KyneWynn
I started to read this book -- and couldn't get past the first chapter -- unfortunately, like other, books written after the movie was made, it falls short of literary sparkle. I love the movie though, and for me it will always be a reminder. My husband, son, and daughter were in a stage version of this play -- for opening night. My husband died that night. This is a poem I wrote about the juxtaposition of the two:

In Fifty-five Words

Father and son,
Playing father and son:
On stage, the dial
Marta✨
Aug 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
take me to the lakes where all the poets went to die
val୨୧
Aug 20, 2022 rated it really liked it
this ruined me so im gonna pretend the last chapters didnt happen and im gonna pretend Neil followed his dream and is happily married with Todd :D
Mina
Feb 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
I can't remember ever rating a book at one star. Oh, yes I do. Wuthering Heights. And I HATE that book.

Okay. I love this film. Loved it in the late 80s and I love it still. The movie is not based on the book; the book is based on the movie.

It's not great. It's little more than a copy of the screen play. (Which probably would have been a better read.) The writing was poor. Drab. Telling. The author quoted the school dog. "Gggrrr." I'm not kidding. There were some small liberties taken, as I assu
nour ༉‧₊˚✧
Sep 25, 2021 rated it liked it
the last two chapters were the best parts and the only parts that actually held my attention. overall, could’ve been gayer 🙃
Ivana Simanungkalit
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Carpe Diem!
Seize the day!!
This is my favorite movie and novel all the time. Poets, wise words, experiences, love, passion and youth are things that make life beautiful. This story is a best learning for student-wants-to-be-teacher in the future (yeah..just like me) because lots of things mentioned in this story should be realized by us...all of us.
Ladan
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
O Captain! my Captain!
our fearful trip is done, The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won, The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! O heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain!
rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the sho
Kimia
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm devastated. ...more
Mareike Winter
Dec 05, 2021 rated it liked it
I would've liked it more if it was gayer tbh ...more
Daina Chakma
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-lit

আহা.. কি চমৎকার একটা কথা!!

মুভিটা দেখেছিলাম অনেক আগে। নিচের সিনটা রিওয়াইন্ড করে কতবার যে দেখেছি তার কোনো হিসেব নেই!

Oh captain! My Captain!

আমার কাছে মুভির চাইতে বইয়ের আবেদন বরাবরই বেশী। তাই মুভি দেখার পরপরই ঠিক করে ফেলি বইটা
Michelle Curie
Sep 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
"Because we're only going to a experience a limited number of springs, summers, and falls. One day, as hard as it is to believe, each and every one of us is going to stop breathing, turn cold, and die!"

We all have teachers that shaped us more than others. And those who have left a lasting impact on us are to be appreciated and be thankful for. Dead Poets Society is a love letter to an exemplary one and while the message is sweet, the execution is nothing but clumsy.

This is one of those rare
Settare (on hiatus)
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I read this when I was fourteen, and at the time, I loved it so much I started rereading it right away. If I recall correctly, at some point I even considered it to be the best book I'd read. I mean, what can you do, fourteen-year-olds get emotional about books.

(I still have fond memories of this book and its movie, of course.)
Eliza
3 / 5

A meaningful book and classic (though I think this was written based off the movie?); it’s a story that everyone should read/watch. That being said, even though I enjoyed this, I was left a little disappointed and wanting more.

While I didn’t see that ending with Neil (but I completely understand why it went that way), I wish the rest of the characters could have been more developed and less dramatic. This entire short novel felt too theatrical and only a few characters seemed to have thei
nika
Oct 19, 2022 rated it really liked it
should’ve been gayer idc
mia
Mar 27, 2021 rated it did not like it
Ok so I don't regularly write actual reviews but the DPS movie is very important to me, so I actually wanted to sit down and talk about this book properly.

I hated it.

I started this book months ago around late November and I read about half of it until I really didn't feel like picking it back up. It was a mix of the book not being very good and my hyperfixation being over. DPS has recently become quite popular on tiktok which caused me to hyperfixate on it once more, even though I never enjoye
BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
This is a coming of age book which resonated with me. I read this when I was thirteen. Whilst it is a book featuring boys in a boarding school, I could still empathize. The pressures they were under, I felt too at that age. One could say, what kind of pressure and isolation could a 13 year possible experience? It is all a matter of perspective and expectations. For an asian child of immigrants, the desire to succeed and do well are very strong. This book, it was a reading assignment from my eigh ...more
Marija *I'm nothing but a slave of my misery*
"Dead Poets Society" is one of my favorite movies of all times. Actually, I like every movie that has Robin Williams in it. That man brought such joy to life even though he wasn't like that in real life. The world miss him greatly. So it wasn't no surprise I adored the book version of this magnificent movie. I like stories about friendships in a young age because I believe those friendships are the strongest if you find the right person. I also like good teachers. I haven't had much chance to me ...more
Shiva
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles today
Tomorrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And while ye may, go marry;
For having lost but once your prime,
You may foreve
Zehra Uzun
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Oh Captain, My Captain!" :'( ...more
Arghiiw
Nov 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-school
I don't know what to do with my life now 🥺
This isn't what we deserved...
Fuck school system.
Rain
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbp-2019, notebooks
3,5*
For those of you who wonder: the book is based on the movie and you notice that while reading
jime
and this is how another two years in therapy begin
Smitha
Was lustreless. The beginning was okayish, but had to force myself to read the latter half. Perhaps I am a hardened boring adult, and not being a poetry fan too doesn't help.
I found Mr. Keating, the eccentric English teacher, the impressionable youngsters and their dramatic ways quite astonishing. Didn't feel empathy towards a single character but for Neal, that too not much.
The Dead Poets Society idea was good, but they totally deviated from appreciation of literature and poetry.
I stared disli
Maya
Sep 23, 2021 rated it liked it
I guess I liked the movie better. It's just that I don't see the point of turning a movie into a novel, although I love it when it's the other way around. If I want to "read" a movie, I'd rather go for the actual script. ...more
paula.
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
UPDATE ON THE FUCKING MOVIE

i LOVED it. it works so so well. and the gay vibes are so much stronger.
i wish that the book would’ve been more like the movie in terms of say, atmosphere, tone.
the message came across so much better and i am just gonna forget the damn book.

(todd and neil are so so precious i love them so much and they love each other very much)

—————

i am very much aware that this book is based on the movie and that i have not watched the movie (yet) is fatal but that doesn't change th
Mostly Queer Book...: October '22 1 17 Oct 02, 2022 01:24PM
Bookbuzzz: August: Dead Poets Society by N.H. Kleinbaum.. 4 29 Aug 06, 2021 01:41PM
The Well-Read Wom...: Dead Poets Society 8 19 Jan 05, 2021 01:11PM
Play Book Tag: Dead Poets Society by N.H. Kleinbaum, Tom Schulman 4 stars 4 13 Nov 23, 2020 01:59PM

• The Secret History
  • If We Were Villains
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • All The Young Dudes - Volume One: Years 1 - 4 (All The Young Dudes #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Four (Heartstopper, #4)
  • Wrony
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Galileo's Commandment: 2,500 Years of Great Science Writing
  • Kamienie na szaniec
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Nick and Charlie
  • Matematiğin Aydınlık Dünyası
  • All the Young Dudes - Volume Two: Years 5 - 7 (All the Young Dudes #2)
  • The Bell Jar
  • Girl, Interrupted
See top shelves…
Nancy Horowitz Kleinbaum is an American writer and journalist. She is the author of the novel Dead Poets Society, which is based on the movie of the same name

News & Interviews

With more than 5.7 million votes cast and counted, the 14th Annual Goodreads Choice Awards are now official. Launched in 2009,...
“So avoid using the word ‘very’ because it’s lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted. Don’t use very sad, use morose. Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women - and, in that endeavor, laziness will not do. It also won’t do in your essays.” 1218 likes
“We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?” 589 likes