Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in March 2016?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Please let us know what you are reading or planning to read in March.

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3153 comments Mod
Working through Gordon R. Dickson's Childe Cycle. There seem to be several ways to read this series, but I am reading it in publication order. I am currently on Soldier, Ask Not.

message 3: by Jaro (last edited Mar 01, 2016 10:36AM) (new)

Jaro (aplaceofmarvels) I will reread Suldrun's Garden for the group discussion. I'm also reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. Hopefully I will also have time to read The Diamond Age: or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, even though I'm still lost somewhere in the middle of Snow Crash. So, three quite long books.

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
I'm slowly working my way through Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances, just because I haven't got any time/energy for long books at the moment.

message 5: by Sumant (new)

Sumant Re-reading the Wheel of time, here is my review of Eye of the world.

message 6: by Viv (new)

Viv JM I'm listening to the audiobook of The House of Shattered Wings and loving it. I am reading A Darker Shade of Magic and loving that too!

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished Fleshmarket Close
Can never complain about a Inspector Rebus book.
Always good

Started on Robert J. Sawyers latest
Quantum Night

message 8: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments I just finished In The Afterlight, the last book in The Darkest Minds trilogy; it wrapped everything up really well with an exciting finish.

I'm now reading Nova by Margaret Fortune.

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen You've read that really quickly! I'm reading The Dragon's Path which is really good :)

message 10: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Taking a break from the short stories for some nonfiction; my loan of In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex just came through so I'll start that tonight (if I can scrape up the energy).

message 11: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I wanted to keep going with the Childe Cycle but my used bookstore copy of Tactics of Mistake literally fell apart in my hands so I've ordered a new (used) one--it's out of print. While I wait for that, I have another Anne Perry mystery and a Recluse book by L.E. Modesitt Jr. waiting for me.

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments Last night I finished Nemesis Games book 5 of The Expanse series

And started book 3 of the Chtorr saga A Rage for Revenge. I messaged Gerrold about when the next novel is coming out—as yet no response. Supposedly 3 more are "projected". I'm not sure either of us will live long enough to see them.

message 13: by Justine (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:17AM) (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Oh that is truly awesome Kernos! Promise me you will share any response you get from Gerrold here:)

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments Justine wrote: "Oh that is truly awesome Kernos! Promise me you will share any response you get from Gerrold here:)"

I certainly will do!

message 16: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments I finished Nova by Margaret Fortune, and I thought it was a very good debut novel. There aren't a huge number of YA novels in the SF genre, so I'm always happy when another one comes out. This one would have decent cross-over appeal too, I think.

I'm now reading Abaddon's Gate, the third book in The Expanse series; after that, I'll be starting the last book in The Dagger and The Coin series, The Spider's War, which comes out on Tuesday!

message 17: by Andreas (new)

Andreas | 84 comments I just finished Ken Liu's The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories which will appear tomorrow. Read my review here.

message 18: by Viv (new)

Viv JM I've just finished A Darker Shade of Magic and am starting on the sequel, A Gathering of Shadows. I'm also reading The Man in the High Castle but that is a bit slower to get started!

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 594 comments I finished City of Blades which I liked even better than City of Stairs. Now I'm starting Tower of Thorns

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments I'm reading & loving Welcome to Night Vale on Audible :D

message 21: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Started Sarah Zettel's Kingdom of Cages, and I can't decide if I've read it before. It seems familiar but I have no firm memories of reading it, so I'll probably finish it.

message 22: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments I'm just finishing up The Red: First Light by Linda Nagata and then I'll be jumping right into The Spider's War.

message 23: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I finished Kingdom of Cages by Sarah Zettel last night (well, early this morning). 4/5 stars. A unique and engaging story. It really made me think about ecological consequences, the role of conscience in our lives, and the lies and rationalization we tell ourselves to justify our actions.

message 24: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I finished Quantum Night, wow. Best RJS book I have read in a while
Now reading something Non Fiction, about Con Artists
The Mark Inside: A Perfect Swindle, a Cunning Revenge, and a Small History of the Big Con

message 25: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kathi wrote: "I finished Kingdom of Cages by Sarah Zettel last night (well, early this morning). 4/5 stars. A unique and engaging story. It really made me think about ecological con..."

Sarah's Zettel's work is admirably fine. Huge pity she isn't more widely read, and for no reason I can fathom.

message 26: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Her last name starts with Z, by the time you get to Z you have an armload of books.
Ha Ha Ha

message 27: by Viv (new)

Viv JM Kathi wrote: "I finished Kingdom of Cages by Sarah Zettel last night (well, early this morning). 4/5 stars. A unique and engaging story. It really made me think about ecological con..."

That sounds really intriguing Kathi - I am definitely going to add Sarah Zettel to my radar.

message 28: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments in march ive read:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Sentinel
Restoration of Faith

ive not decided what im going to read next but thinking of

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Brain Wave
Dreamsnake

but probably wont

message 29: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 11, 2016 09:54AM) (new)

Lindsey | 379 comments Ken wrote: "Her last name starts with Z, by the time you get to Z you have an armload of books."

Having worked in a big chain bookstore, it's absolutely true that authors at eye level sell more books. Luck of the draw as far as shelf spacing goes. :-)

I've finished Crown Duel (the omnibus edition) and the short story collection Songs of Love Lost and Found. Afraid I came to Crown Duel too late, I'd have probably loved it as a teenager but it was far too simple with a protagonist I had a hard time liking.

The short story collection was hit-or-miss but when I bought it I was unaware that it wasn't the full Songs of Love and Death collection (stupidly similar titles) and I still want to read that.

Onward to Marked in Flesh! It's the last book I had preordered for this year, since Sanderson has no more adult fantasy until Stormlight 3 comes out and Hobb's next one isn't available yet.

message 31: by Juston (new)

Juston Fenton I am reading the 5 books in the Belgariad series by David Eddings this March. I've made a good start on the 5th book "Enchanter's End Game".

I last read this series many years ago when I was in year 8. it's fascinating and nostalgic to re-read the series now that I'm an adult.

it's still a good read.

Next I'll take a break from Sci-fi / Fantasy and read some John Le Carre, starting with "The Night Manager". There is a great BBC mini series based on the book staring Hugh Laurie and I want to read the book while watching the show.

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine | 594 comments Last night I finished Tower of Thorns which I liked even better than Dreamer's Pool. I strongly recommend both of these books; unfortunately, my library doesn't have the third book of the series. I am now about to start on Leviathan Wakes

message 34: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Juston wrote: "I am reading the 5 books in the Belgariad series by David Eddings this March. I've made a good start on the 5th book "Enchanter's End Game".

I last read this series many years ago when I was in ye..."

Those are favorites of mine :) Formulaic, yes, but good fun!

message 35: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Christine wrote: "Last night I finished Tower of Thorns which I liked even better than Dreamer's Pool. I strongly recommend both of these books; unfortunately, my library doesn't have..."

Christine, the third book of Blackthorn and Grim, Den of Wolves is due to be released in November, so hopefully you can get it from your library soon after!

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine | 594 comments Justine wrote: "Christine wrote: "Last night I finished Tower of Thorns which I liked even better than Dreamer's Pool. I strongly recommend both of these books; unfortunately, my li..."

Thanks Justine, now I just have to remember to order it

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Juston wrote: "I am reading the 5 books in the Belgariad series by David Eddings this March. I've made a good start on the 5th book "Enchanter's End Game".

I last read this series many years ago when I was in ye..."

I read them in High school, Grade 10. I had my Dad buy the books for me for Christmas.

message 38: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 379 comments Christine wrote: "Last night I finished Tower of Thorns which I liked even better than Dreamer's Pool. I strongly recommend both of these books..."

I read these a few months ago and thought they were really good! Looking forward to book 3 later this year as well.

message 39: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Mar 14, 2016 05:45AM) (new)

The Belgariad and related books were favorites of mine, too. I'm enough older that I read them as an adult but still enjoyed them.

message 40: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 171 comments Justine wrote: "I've just started The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard."

On my TBR shortlist, is it good?

I've just finished Chains of the Heretic: Bloodsounder's Arc Book Three, the last book of the series, and I'm impressed. I liked the denouement and the whole series was very good, grimdarkish but also original because it's totally character-driven. In addition, there are several battles, skirmishes, fights and derring-do. Very recommended.

message 41: by Justine (last edited Mar 15, 2016 10:58AM) (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Alissa wrote: "Justine wrote: "I've just started The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard."

On my TBR shortlist, is it good?

I haven't quite finished, but I like it. It's one of the group reads for SpecFic BR this month, so there are others who have already finished it and I think the reactions are a bit mixed.

message 42: by Viv (new)

Viv JM I must admit, I was a bit disappointed by The House of Shattered Wings - for me, it held a lot of promise that it didn't quite live up to.

I've just finished A Gathering of Shadows which was fabulous but - be warned! - it does end on a massive cliffhanger!

I'm reading The Snow Queen currently, and am going to make a start on Dreamer's Pool shortly.

message 43: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments See the words "massive cliffhanger" really make me want to put off reading the book - as much as I love Schwab and I was so looking forward to reading that book I don't think it's fair to readers to leave things like that.

message 44: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I started reading The Mark Inside, it wasnt what I was expecting. I wanted a book about Con Artists, not what this was. I ended up tossing it last night.
Started The Affinities
I am now half way through, I dont want to jinx it but so far its the best he has written since Spin

message 45: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments I finished two JG Ballard novels: The Drowned World and The Wind From Nowhere. The former is excellent, dark and literary. The latter an exciting thriller.

I have now started The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. This will keep me occupied for some time.

message 46: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 171 comments The baroque cycle looks very interesting, and long to boot!

message 47: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kernos wrote: "I have now started The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. This will keep me occupied for some time. "
I have those books on my shelf as well, but having just read The Diamond Age: or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, I definitely need a break from Neal Stephenson.

message 48: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I'm currently reading The Order War, a book in the Recluce saga. It's fast reading and not too challenging.

message 49: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Viv wrote: "I must admit, I was a bit disappointed by The House of Shattered Wings - for me, it held a lot of promise that it didn't quite live up to."

I thought it was ok...I was really happy that the story got completely tied up in one book even though the author is planning to write another in the same world. I'm not sure what else I would have wanted from it to make it better.

I'm now reading Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs, which is the newest book in the Mercy Thompson series. It's probably my favourite urban fantasy series.

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan (shbeaty) Viv wrote: "I must admit, I was a bit disappointed by The House of Shattered Wings - for me, it held a lot of promise that it didn't quite live up to.

I've just finished A Gathering of S..."</i>

I'm working my way through [book:The House of Shattered Wings
right now and am also feeling a bit let down.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.