Start by marking “A Rage for Revenge” as Want to Read:
A Rage for Revenge

A Rage for Revenge

(The War Against the Chtorr #3)

Still reeling from the alien plagues that killed two-thirds of the planet's population, humanity now confronts the most deadly enemy Earth has ever known - the giant man-eating Chtorr. Lieutenant James McCarthy has grown to manhood under the shadow of the terrifying invasion of the Chtorr. As a student, he learned all he could to understand their alien behavior. As a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Published March 1st 1989 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about A Rage for Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rage for Revenge

Start your review of A Rage for Revenge
Ubiquitousbastard
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am immensely glad that I didn't read this book first. (I read the fourth one first because it had a sick cover). It's not that this book is bad, because it isn't. It's because if I wasn't already invested, the extremely morally dubious subject matter would almost certainly have turned me off of the series. While I love the other books for their ability to make tragedy and darkness beautiful, this book is just painful. Again, not painful because it is badly written, but painful because of its ...more
Tim
May 15, 2008 added it
Shelves: 2008
The author's intro to this book reads in part, "This particular episode of The War Against the Chtorr includes a number of chapters of heavily didactic material." You know what the nation's sci-fi fans think when they read on page v of a 517-pp. novel that there are a number of chapters of heavily didactic material to come? "FUCK YEAH! Gimme more of that white-hot didacticism!" But the book is actually better than that, the best in the series so far, besides at least a hundred and fifty solid ...more
Clinton Sheppard
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
A bit too much psychobabble. I get tired of reading about the main
character's mental problems.
Sandra
Not a good sign when an author starts a book by saying "I know I'm not supposed to explain my work but I'm gonna do it anyway. If you're annoyed by it I meant to do that."
Really? I'm meant to be annoyed by how stupidly and unrealistically your characters behave? I'm meant to be annoyed by the way you're writing the same lectures for the third time? Eh.

I hate his protagonist with children. The first things he does is 1) lie to them; 2) overstep boundaries (he himself had pointed out just before).
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own

Ugh, this series. Good narration, good writing, fascinating premise, but so many faults too. Book 3 and still so much unknown? Gerrold's liberal tendencies to do away with societal norms like family, church and patriotism. Not to mention the gay sex and pedophilia... Gerrold is probably a pedo or he wouldn't write about it so much.

The things above are enough that I would've quit most any other series that mentioned them, but I dunno, I guess I've got this morbid fascination to see where
James Gustafson
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even more than the first two, this book is as much meandering through philosophical and psychological wildernesses as it is telling a traditional science fiction story. In fact, the slog gets rough in the first half of the book. Then it gets ... strange and unnerving.

Your mileage may vary, but the second half of this book shines. All the disparate pieces of confusion and revulsion start to fall weirdly into place. By the end you nod and tip your cap to Mr. Gerrold. I see what you did there, sir.
Bon Tom
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this might be the best book in this fantastic series. What have we here? Main plot, limericks which are hilarious and could be the book on their own, same for Solomon Short.. I mean, how one dares putting ALL their talent in one book and yet keep producing is beyond me. I guess that's the reason we'll never see part 5 :)
Gunther Rogahn
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I refuse to read anything by this jackass until he finishes this series. He's been lying about it for 20 years or so.
Jim N
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
David Gerrold warns the reader right up front that this novel is didactic and he's not kidding. There's a great deal of moralizing but it's done with purpose. This isn't the strongest book in the series but it may be the most memorable and I think it's the entry in which the series' key themes are most prominent. One of the most interesting aspects of the War Against the Chtorr novels is they're not simply a rip-roarin' military science fiction yarn about humans battling huge, purple alien ...more
Nicolas
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about belief, truth, freedom, and responsibility. It is a didactic novel in the best sense of the term, alternating between McCarthy's time at the Mode Training (a sort of personal effectiveness seminar) and his indoctrination by a cult of Chtorran renegades (people who have forsaken the human race to ally themselves with the Chtorr). There are lessons in this book that are just as important now as they are in the imagined world of the Chtorr War.

Also, it happens to be a pretty
Fred D
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Very fascinating book with a unique spin on the alien invasion story. Prior to invasion, the aliens attempt to 'reverse terraform' the Earth by introducing plant and animal life from their home planet that wipe out Earth's native flora & fauna to make the envirnment more suitable to them. Earthlife easily gets out-competed. First, alien microbes are introduced that wipe out 90% of the human population. Civilization collapses, and the survivors are left to try and desperately hang on as wave ...more
Adrian Hunter
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this yet more years after the second book, and after re-reading the UN-abridged version of the first. Well, I may have well just stayed with the first. This book delved deeply and at great length about what it meant to be "human" in this books' universe, and it was all rather new agey confusing. Almost no revelations about the Chtorr, and those that were there were just as confusing as the new agey stuff, as it's all supposition on the characters parts. They never come to any real ...more
Christopher Schneider
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best (albeit, unfinished) alien invasion series I know. Trying to be patient in waiting for him to close the loop on this one. I balk at recommending this one to others only because I don't want them to experience the same 21+ year wait that the rest of us have had to deal with since he published the "latest" book in the series, A Season for Slaughter. However, to be fair, I have no idea how the hell he is going to tie this all together, and I admire the man's ambition for taking on such a ...more
Juniper
Oct 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Maybe 1.5 stars since I finished reading it. Absolutely way too much new-age philosophy... the 10 page author intro defending the didactic nature of the book should have been a warning. The pedophilia ended up being minor and felt like an attempt at being edgy. It certainly didn't do much for the plot. I'll likely still continue reading the series. The overall theme is solid and interesting and I need some closure... though I notice book 4 was published in 1992 and book 5 is slated for 2015.
Robert Bush
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
There were times while I was reading this book that I thought, "If this is what the human race becomes, maybe it has no business surviving."

And then I got to the end, and I now wonder; is that the big picture Gerrold was working toward? Is he painting a race that has come to point where it has to transcend survival and become something more?
James
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, sci-fi
The War Against the Chitorr is one of the best works in the genre of military science fiction but it is incomplete. Currently- it ends with book 3. I really wish that David Gerrold would get back to this series as it has interesting characters and a unique premise: the invasion of earth by an alien ecology.
NumberLord
May 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The story of the Chtorr invasion continues, but this book is broken up by Jim's experience with "Mode Training" (which might be interesting in its own book, but interferes with this one). The story continues, but doesn't really advance.
Robyn
A former boyfriend introduced me to the series, which at the time we thought would be rounded out by a fifth book within a couple of years. How naive we were! Don't know how the War Against the Chtorr books were never added to my GoodReads account.
Mark
Jun 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I'm not doing a full review. A section of this book has ambiguous bits about pedophilia and a child having sex with another child. I found this section very disturbing and that feeling remained with me long after I finished the book.
Victoria
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm completely unequal to talking about these books right now. If they sound interesting to you, read them; if they don't, give them a chance anyways. There's way more in there than the back cover could every suggest.
Randy
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Third book in the Chtorr invasion series.
Charles Rankin
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some people complain about the psychological aspects of this book, but I found it all blended in really well
Bill
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The War Against the Chtorr rages on! So far, so great. What a ride!
Matthew Smonskey
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic and often challenging read. The brutality and thoughtfulness make a wonderful pairing.
Colin
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A bit more philosophical than the previous books in the series; a great continuation of Gerrold's brilliant take on alien invasion by ecological infestation . . .
Doug Clark
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another great and thought provoking entrance into this series
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the Chtorr series, though the long-winded philosophy discussions may be a turn-off to some.
AndrewP
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Book 3 and just as good as the previous 2
Scott Kemper
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to see what happens next! McCarthy is slowly losing his own humanity and it's great.
Leif
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The universe just keeps getting darker. See Jim become all manner of disgusting as he tries to cope with himself in the growing ecological crisis.

• Taltos (Vlad Taltos, #4)
  • The Dragon: Fifteen Stories
  • The Investigation
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • Necroscope III: The Source (Necroscope, #3)
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
  • Convergence (Foreigner, #18)
  • Cat-A-Lyst
  • The King's Buccaneer (Krondor's Sons, #2)
  • Starstrike
  • The Light Brigade
  • Angel Mage
  • Raven's Peace (Peacekeepers of Sol Book 1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Across Realtime
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)

The War Against the Chtorr (5 books)
  • A Matter for Men (War Against the Chtorr #1)
  • A Day for Damnation
  • A Season for Slaughter (War Against the Chtorr #4)
  • Method for Madness