Start by marking “Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)

Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,276 Ratings  ·  453 Reviews
A black sun is rising …

Young Corban watches enviously as boys become warriors under King Brenin’s rule, learning the art of war. He yearns to wield his sword and spear to protect his king’s realm. But that day will come all too soon. Only when he loses those he loves will he learn the true price of courage.

The Banished Lands has a violent past where armies of men and gia
Published December 6th 2012 by Tor (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Malice, please sign up.

Shane Kiely The protagonists are actually genuinely very likeable rather than compelling bastards that grow on you (which is generally a hallmark of Grimdark in…moreThe protagonists are actually genuinely very likeable rather than compelling bastards that grow on you (which is generally a hallmark of Grimdark in my opinion) but it's got Grimdark levels of violence & can get quite bleak at times. (less)
Michael Savage That would entirely depend on how you might define 'appropriate'. Personally, I'd say so, all things considered.

Mark Lawrence
I finished Malice by the excellent John Gwynne whilst at hospital with Celyn this week. It's taken me a very long time to read due to the many calls on my time, so I've read it in small chunks over many months - and that's exactly the opposite of how I would want anyone to read my own work. It's a particularly bad way to read complicated books, and with a GRRM-sized cast and many point-of-view characters this is a book that really needs your attention on it or you'll get lost in the whirl of nam ...more
Bookwraiths
Mar 24, 2014 Bookwraiths rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Malice by John Gwynne is the first book in The Faithful and the Fallen series, and it is an epic fantasy that has flown under the radar of a lot of fantasy aficionados. After reading it, I can understand that to some extent, because – in this time when grimdark and its close cousins are all the rage – Malice is more of a classic fantasy story with many of the tropes that go along with that term. However, where some novels might flounder under those clas
Mpauli
This is old-school in a good way. The book had a very strange fascination. When I objectively think about, it has a lot of tropes, everything is familiar. Plot and characters have all been done before and some elements are even highly unimaginative and seem copy pasted from Christian mythology.
But despite all that, I just had a blast and an enormous amount of fun while reading this book.

Primarily we're following two characters plus an additional cast of 4-5 side povs with significantly less chap
Mark
Dec 10, 2012 Mark rated it it was ok
Well, I had high hopes for this one.

Unlike The Red Knight by Miles Cameron, which I read and reviewed recently, this one didn’t meet them, sadly.

There is an unwritten rule that reviews should not spend most of their time comparing a book with other books. The review should be focused on that book, the emphasis on the impression that book leaves.

Wise advice.

However, they are both debut Fantasy novels published at about the same time, treading similar ground, and I suspect that readers may have to
Kaora
What a debut!

I loved this book. I was sucked in from the very first page and couldn't stop until I reached the end.

The world building was fantastic, and the characters were well written. It reminded me slightly of Game of Thrones, having each chapter focused on a different character, but John Gwynne has a style all his own, and I found myself laughing, crying and raging along with the characters.

I love that the characters are realistic. They each have their flaws, their struggles and their stren
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 13, 2014 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
The rating here is a little close. I was hesitant about going all the way to 5 but in the end decided I liked it that well. It may not quite get onto my favorites shelf, but it's still better than a 4 I think.

As I've said about other stories/books this one starts out slowly. I was probably 25% through the book before I suddenly found myself deeply involved in the novel. If there's a flaw in the book (for me that is) it's one we've discussed before. So often now books are told from multiple point
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Mar 04, 2015 Eon ♒Windrunner♒ rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Another great debut book which surpassed my expectations!

A classic fantasy story with the familiar end of the world, prophecy, chosen one arc that we see regularly (because we are suckers for epics obviously), but still a book every fantasy lover will enjoy. It is told from multiple POV's and as with such books you start favoring one or two characters above others, but I did not find one that I disliked.

Thoroughly engaging and very hard to put down with great world building, well writt
Mark
Apr 06, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Very under rated book, if you like slow builds up to the story flow then this is one best you can read. Mutiple points of view done very well.

very well written fight scenes right at the end.

so in short get the boook read and enjoy. Epic fantasy as a new member.
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Arghhhhh!

Thats how I've felt about reading and reviewing the last two months.

Firstly my wife is in her second trimester with our first kid so I am attempting to be in "amazing husband' mode all the time which means jumping up and down for her and making sure she is comfortable at all times. It is tough to get through a book when you have to constantly give your opinion on things you know nothing about especially when you come off a couple of average books.

Well I just finished this and for the fi
Kaitlin
May 03, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a weird one for me because I thought I was going to really like it and I certainly did really enjoy it, but equally it was filled with a lot of links to Christianity and typical fantasy troupes. Normally a book with a lot of troupes wouldn't be so interesting to me as to get a 4* rating because whilst I don't mind a few here and there, having a lot of troupe and nothing too stand out and original would normally be a slight turn off for me... Saying that, it didn't seem to be the ca ...more
Justine
Mar 31, 2016 Justine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Completely solid traditional fantasy fare, nicely written, and with decent world building. I really enjoyed this, but I would have liked a few more female characters. Happily the few that did appear were pretty strong, particularly the knife-throwing Cywen. I'm really glad I made time for this series because it turned out to be worth it. Definitely looking forward to seeing where the story goes in the next book.
Dave de Burgh
Jun 03, 2013 Dave de Burgh rated it it was amazing
I heard about ‘Malice’ from John Jarrold – he let me know that this novel was the closest thing he’d ever read to A Song of Ice and Fire, so I was intently interested as soon as I heard that. Being a massive fan of Mr. Martin, I thought the claim was bold and perhaps a bit too much, but considering John Jarrold’s stature in Genre Fiction I knew that he hadn’t meant it literally. So I managed to secure an ARC for myself through Julie Crisp and Laura Hammond, and settled in to read it.

I agree with
Nafeeza
May 19, 2016 Nafeeza marked it as to-read
Recommended to Nafeeza by: Eon ♒Windrunner♒ & part-time Warder ☯
Because Eon insists!
Amanda
Apr 03, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Solid first book in what I think is a very promising epic fantasy series.
Graham Austin-King
Relentless in its pacing. Probably in my top ten books ever.
Kitvaria
Oct 02, 2015 Kitvaria rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This one sucked me in quite quickly. It was an thoroughly enjoyable read, that kept me well entertained all the way through.

There are quite a few POVs, and therefore the story can get a bit complex at times, but over the course of the book the different story lines start to run together and it becomes a lot easier to follow all the characters.

I give 4 stars, because the end is packed full of a lot of action, and at times the changes in those scenes felt a bit rough. It was still good, but not as
Robyn
Apr 27, 2016 Robyn rated it liked it
Shelves: to-read-sff, 2016
This is well written and subtle high fantasy. I loved one half of the story line; unfortunately, I just didn't care about the other half. I think I will probably continue because of the strength of the ending, but am hoping the pace picks up.
Heather
HOLY SHIT! I can't wait to get my hands on the second one and the third one is with the editor. I think there's going to be 4 books in the series which sucks.
I'd love to see seven books; one book for each artifact and an epic final battle, but that would be too Harry Potter. Not that I would complain. This is seriously the next Game of Thrones (and will probably be finished before GRRM finishes his series.)

For a debut novel, this book is absolutely amazing. It's a great start to an epic fantasy
Jasper
Feb 04, 2014 Jasper rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2014...

Malice is John Gwynne's debut in the fantasy genre, and was set as a big release back in 2012. I am always a sucker for a good epic fantasy story and Malice promised to be one, the synopsis already pays well into it and with mentioning a part coming-of-age tale I knew that this book was a treat. While I added this book on goodreads I saw that John Gwynne won the Morningstar Award for Best Fantasy Debut, well to be honest if you win suc
Reggie Kray
Jun 06, 2016 Reggie Kray rated it it was amazing
A very 'tropey' first installment. However, if you enjoy the old fantasy trope formulated to near perfection then this story may be for you! A very smooth, easy read with a heart-wrenching climax!
Ojo
Jul 12, 2015 Ojo rated it it was amazing
Buddy read with Ivenn!

What do you get when you mix a potion of GoT unpredictability with an infusion of Joe Abercrombie? You get Malice. Herein lies the perfect recipe for grim, dark fantasy.

I must confess it wasn't an easy read. Reading the build-up to the climax was a mentally painful exercise, to say the least. There's more characters in here than ASoIaF and Wheel of Time combined. So many characters you want to stop reading the book altogether. In a nutshell, it's a very difficult read.

As
Mike (the Paladin)

Craig Slater
Nov 25, 2012 Craig Slater rated it really liked it
These days I read mainly genre books.

And then mainly Fantasy.

Once in a while, to mix it up a bit, I slip in some Science Fiction or Urban Fantasy but I always come back to Fantasy books because that’s just what scratches my itch, and there’s nothing to gain from denying it.

Anyone that matters to me already knows I’m a Fantasy Geek!

Of course, there’s pros and cons to such a mighty endeavor.

It can sometimes get a bit tiring if I end up reading the same old same old, and in a way that’s nearly i
Dominic
Mar 11, 2013 Dominic rated it really liked it
I admit that I picked up Malice not really having any preconceptions, I’d read the blurb but hadn't read any reviews at the time I started reading the book itself. Generally speaking though, I don’t read reviews, I’ll go by word of mouth a little, but primarily I'm won or lost on the blurb. With Malice, I had the good fortune to win a copy which, to be fair is the reason I've read it now rather than at some point down the line – I’d probably have picked it up based on the attractive cover (front ...more
Mark D
Oct 18, 2013 Mark D rated it it was amazing
I can't even remember how I found this book as it wasn't up on amazon or kobo.

I think I Googled "Greatest Book Ever Written" and hit I'm Feeling Lucky and this popped up.

Either way, I had a friend over and he went to the washroom and picked up my eReader. It happened to be on this book, I didn't see him again for an hour and when he got out he told me he's stealing my eReader to finish this book.

We fought. I won. He went home to buy it and went MIA.

The journey that Corban goes through in this bo
Tammy
Jan 25, 2016 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Malice was a fun read. The pace was really good through out the book, then it quickens towards the end as the plot tightens. The book boasts a large cast of characters (including giants) from different parts of the Banished lands, most of whom I felt unsure whether to trust or not. Also, I have to point out, the battle scenes and duels in this book are amazing.
Standout Characters: Corban, Kastell, Veradis, Gar, Cywen, Tull, King Brenin, King Aquilus and my favorite- Camlin. The wolf, Storm. A
Rossana
Jul 22, 2016 Rossana rated it really liked it
Wow. That was intense.
At first I wasn't completely hooked with this book: I found it tropey and quite standard, without anything really original in it. But then... THEN! oh god, everything started to become very interesting very fast and I was totally in awe.
The characters were believable and compelling (especially Veradis and Nathair at first... but Corban and Cywen became appealing after a while as well), we follow multiple POVs but luckily I wasn't bored with any one of them.
The plot at fir
Robert
Jun 02, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
I went into this book with rather high expectations. While not the next Patrick Rothfuss or George RR Martin, "Malice" is a promising first entry into the "harder edged" fantasy series we see more of today.
I like the attempt to create complex characters with complex motivations and real relationships. There is a good attempt at world building through the slow unwinding of the tale through each individual's perspective.
At the same time, I felt we jumped too quickly from character to character i
Dave-Brendon Burgh
Jul 16, 2015 Dave-Brendon Burgh rated it it was amazing

I agree with
Candace
Malice is the first traditional epic fantasy in a series that is expected to end with Book 4 in December 2016. Although it is long, watching the characters grow and choose which side of the God-War they will be on- Asroth's Evil or Elyon's Good- helped me fly through the book. The kingdoms and people of the Banished lands are introduced and described so well that I did feel like it all was semi-real.

This is a great coming of age story. It's also a Judgment day story, the good god (Elyon) will fi
Fantasy Lovers: June Group Read: Malice 3 19 Jun 02, 2016 08:40AM
The Faithful and ...: Chapter 16 - Camlin 9 26 Jun 01, 2016 10:19AM
Fantasy Book Club: Nov. '15 * Malice* Roll Call 9 27 Nov 24, 2015 04:12PM
The Faithful and ...: Chapter 19 - Cywen 1 18 Nov 03, 2015 01:26AM
The Faithful and ...: Chapter 18 - Veradis 2 20 Oct 20, 2015 02:33PM
  • Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1)
  • The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties That Bind, #1)
  • Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
  • Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand (The Macht #1)
  • Age of Iron (Iron Age, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • Those Above (The Empty Throne, #1)
  • The Crimson Shield (Gallow, #1)
  • The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • Attrition: the First Act of Penance (Three Acts of Penance, #1)
  • House of Blades (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #1)
  • A Crown for Cold Silver (The Crimson Empire, #1)
  • Guns of the Dawn
Malice is my debut novel. Goldsboro Books of London, specialists in signed first-editions, have made Malice their 'Book of the Month' for December 2012.

I was born in Singapore while my dad was stationed there in the RAF. Up until he retired that meant a lot of traveling around, generally a move every three years or so.

I live with my wife and four wonderful (and demanding) children in East Sussex.
More about John Gwynne...

The Faithful and the Fallen (4 books)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Ruin (The Faithful and the Fallen, #3)
  • Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4)