Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVED Team challenges > Team Olaf (Team Three)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 294 (294 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Mar 05, 2016 02:34PM) (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9751 comments Mod

Dizzy
Staci*
Sarita
Shae

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jul 26, 2016 04:45PM) (new)

BINGO CARD

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Feb 28, 2016 10:21PM) (new)

Schedule for Calling Categories:

March 9th
March 23rd
April 6th
April 20th
May 4
May 18th
June 1st
June 15th
June 29th
(etc. until a team gets a valid BINGO)

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Free "Passes"

Every person will get (1) "pass" in which they can read a book that doesn't match the called category, BUT the book has to fit the theme of the challenge somehow (i.e. takes place in winter or spring, the characters experience change, the character is young or in their golden years...anything that you have a reason for it to work, really).

You don't have to use the pass and remember that you only get one for the entire challenge. ;)

---

Dizzy - pass used on SOCKS
Staci - pass used on SLEIGH
Sarita - pass used on SLEIGH
Shae - pass used on SLEIGH

message 5: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Feb 28, 2016 10:37PM) (new)

**Important Info**

Every other Wednesday one of the categories will be called (the same one for all teams).

After all team members have read their books and the team captain has posted in this folder to let me know, your square will get a stamp.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There is no deadline to finish a book, but a book cannot be started prior to the category being called and your team won't get its stamp until everyone on the team has finished and posted.

You also need to check in at least once after each category called.

*New* You can use either the cover or title to match the called category (example below)

Books must be at least 150 pages long (if reading an ebook, please check the paperback or hardcover edition for page count).
NO manga/graphic novels, cookbooks
Audiobooks are fine. As are ARCs.

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Feb 28, 2016 10:38PM) (new)

WAYS TO WIN:

Five in a row (any direction), the four corners, or a postage stamp in any corner would all be a valid bingo. Here's a picture that shows what each of them are:

I know this picture shows two postage stamps, but only one would be required.

message 7: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Categories:

Winter categories
1. Fire/Fireplace
2. Quilt
3. Boots
4. Sock(s)
5. Sweater
6. Hot Drink*
7. Wreath
8. Christmas Lights
9. Cookie(s)
10. Gift
11. Snow
12. Sleigh

Spring categories
13. Flower(s)*
14. Sunrise/Sunset
15. Puppy/Dog*
16. Kitten/Cat*
17. Fruit*
18. Bride/Groom
19. Heart
20. Rain
21. Tree(s)
22. Ship/Boat
23. Grass/Field
24. Baby/Child

25. FREE SPACE**
** Any book may be used for this space and it may be read any time during the challenge - this category will not be called. The only rule is it has to be started after the start of the challenge.

Categories with an asterick (*): you may get more specific, if needed (example: flowers -- you could use a book with rose in the title)

message 8: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Hope you all have fun! Please choose a team captain and, if you'd like, a team name. :)

message 9: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Hello Dizzy and Sarita!!! This is a new game for me. Should be fun!

message 10: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Please welcome Shae as she is joining your team :)

message 11: by Dizzy (new)

Dizzy (dizzy_booknerd) | 249 comments Hi everyone!! looking forward to the game!! :)

message 12: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Welcome everyone! Looking forward to this game - this will be a first for me!

Shae, Staci - Are you the mother- daughter team? ☺

Some categories seems difficult - I went through my list of books to see what I have - looking forward to getting suggestions/recommendations form you!

So think we need 2 things:
1. Team captain
2. Team name - I was thinking something with the theme, like Bloom, Blossom, Bluebell - I'm not creative, so here is a link of baby names based on Spring http://www.disneybaby.com/blog/40-bab...

Or something like Snow White, Frozen etc - Creative peeple please help!

message 13: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Hello! Shae and I are the mother/daughter team. It's so awesome that we share the love of reading.

I agree some of the categories are difficult, such as cookie and others simple, such as field. Shae and I have started to put together lists too. Sadly, lots of blank spaces.

Unless someone else wants to, I'm glad to be the team captain.

Love your team name suggestions!!! How about Team Blossom or Team (character from frozen - their names escape me right now).

This will be fun!

message 14: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Ah! That is so awesome that you and Shae share the love of books. You have an additional connection to the mother-daughter relationship and save on money when reading the same books.

I'm happy for you to be team Captain Staci.

Team Blossom or Team Olaf (snowman from Frozen) - then the other names were Anna, Elsa and Kristoff (I had to google)

How for cookie The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1) by Elisabeth Crabtree (free on kindle and 160 pages so should work) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I...

Secretly hope we get all the easy ones first ☺

message 15: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Nice find on cookie!

The only name I could remember from Frozen was Sven. I like Team Olaf or Team Blossom for the team name.

message 16: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Saw Lorraine post a review on the Cookie book so searched and worked!

Do you thing this will work for socks Saving Amelie by Cathy Gohlke

Cool, lets see what Shae and Dizzy thinks about the team name.

(I should be working, but so excited about the game planning and searching my books).

Think the ones I will definitely struggle with is quilt, sleigh and wreath. So will be saving my free pass for 1 of those.

message 17: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Yes, I should be getting ready for work rather than on my computer!!

I'll chime in on the cover later. Gotta run!

message 18: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Scott | 63 comments I like the idea of a Frozen theme.

message 19: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Sarita, this is maybe picky...the girl on the cover of Saving Amalie is wearing tights rather than socks. It does work for the baby/child category though. Good book!

message 20: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Staci wrote: "Sarita, this is maybe picky...the girl on the cover of Saving Amalie is wearing tights rather than socks. It does work for the baby/child category though. Good book!"

Hoped it was stockings which is sort of socks. Will keep searching, this is also a difficult category.

message 21: by Bess (new)

Bess | 2583 comments a sock book: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and Running Home by Barbara Ellen Brink

;)

message 22: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Bess wrote: "a sock book: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and Running Home by Barbara Ellen Brink

;)"

Thanks Bess

message 23: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments What categories are you still struggling with team 3?

I'm still missing Quilt, Sleigh, Fruit and Kitten/Cat. Think I have Christmas Lights.

message 24: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments I'm missing gift, kitten/cat, sleigh, hot drink, wreath, sweater & cookie.

message 25: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments For fruit, I have...

Miracle in a Dry Season (Appalachian Blessings, #1) by Sarah Loudin Thomas A Stillness of Chimes by Meg Moseley

message 26: by Sarita (last edited Mar 03, 2016 04:54AM) (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Hot drink Miracle at the Higher Grounds Cafe by Max Lucado
Sweater, think these will work since the object can be small
Safe by the Marshal's Side (Witness Protection) by Shirlee McCoy (women)
From Russia with Love (Heirs of Anton, #1) by Susan May Warren (the guy under is jacket)

Gift - was kindle freebies...
Gifted a love story (Redeeming Romance Mystery) by Susan Rohrer
The Father's Gift (Havens Creek, #3) by Carol Ann Erhardt (but think will use this one for Christmas lights)

Wreath The Yuletide Rescue (Alaskan Search and Rescue #1) by Margaret Daley (all other books I have with a wreath has less than 150 pages).

message 27: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Socks

Scent of Lilacs currently 99 cents

The Scent of Lilacs by Ann H. Gabhart

Cat

Murder at the Courthouse (The Hidden Springs Mysteries #1) by A.H. Gabhart

Ironically, both of these novels are by the same author.

message 28: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Staci wrote: "Socks

The Scent of Lilacs by Ann H. Gabhart"

THANK YOU!! What a good find for socks! :D

message 29: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Staci wrote: "Socks

The Scent of Lilacs by Ann H. Gabhart

Cat

Murder at the Courthouse (The Hidden Springs Mysteries #1) by A.H. Gabhart

Ironically, both of these novels are by the same author."

Ah, I think I have Sent of lilacs - need to go search at home!

message 30: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments I checked... I have scent of lilacs - so yay another category checked!

message 31: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Yeah Sarita! I saw good reviews for it!

message 32: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Two days to go team!! Hope everything has their lists ready for the different categories. I've got three categories that I'm really hoping aren't called. :-)

Make it a great week Team Olaf!

message 33: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Staci wrote: "Two days to go team!! Hope everything has their lists ready for the different categories. I've got three categories that I'm really hoping aren't called. :-)

Make it a great week Team Olaf!"

Yes! my list is ready! Have 18 owned, 4 which was free on kindle, and 3 I will have to borrow (and hoping won't be called)

Hoping the owned categories will be called first of course! And that the order will work for the books I have but are part of a series! ☺☺

message 34: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Here we go!!!! Game has officially begun and reading can begin :D

The FIRST category is GIFT!!

The next category will be called March 23rd, most likely around noon PT.

message 35: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Ah Staci - sorry Heart wasn't called this week!

I'm planning to read The Gifting (Gifting #1) by K.E. Ganshert (322 pages).

message 36: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Can't wait to see what you think of that book, Sarita! I've heard good things about it :D

message 37: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Melanie wrote: "Can't wait to see what you think of that book, Sarita! I've heard good things about it :D"

Me too! Looking forward to it and luckily kindle version so I don't have to wait to get home before starting it (we are about 9 hours ahead in South Africa)

message 38: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Sarita, glad the suspense has ended!!! I'll be reading The Gifting as well. Shae/Dizzy, what are your plans?

message 39: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Staci wrote: "Sarita, glad the suspense has ended!!! I'll be reading The Gifting as well. Shae/Dizzy, what are your plans?"

well, for now. I think it will build up again closer to the 23rd again!

message 40: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Right!!! It's good to know what time of day the category will be called.

message 41: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Staci wrote: "Right!!! It's good to know what time of day the category will be called."

Yes! And hope to have the free pass book done by then as well if work will allow ☺

message 42: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Me too on the free pass!

message 43: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Scott | 63 comments I will also be reading the gifting! :)

message 44: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments I have finished reading the Gifting. My review is below.

The Gifting (Gifting #1) by K.E. Ganshert

This YA futuristic and dystopian novel was more miss than hit for me.

I enjoyed the details about society in the future such as the governmental process of giving fetuses approval to be born or not and getting rid of the second amendment. All very frightening and perhaps not so far fetched in a generation or two. The visualization of the scenery and buildings was well done.

The pacing of the book was slow for me and while it picked up towards the end, I was never engrossed with the story. I am not compelled to continue reading the series.

While I very much enjoy Katie Ganshert's contemporary novels for adults, this series in a different genre were a miss for me.

message 45: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4557 comments Staci wrote: "I have finished reading the Gifting. My review is below.

The Gifting (Gifting #1) by K.E. Ganshert

This YA futuristic and dystopian novel was more miss than hit for me.

I enjoyed the details about societ..."

Staci, thanks for your honest review. I got the sample of this one when it first came out, because I am a huge fan of Katie's contemporary fiction for adults. But I couldn't get into the sample for this one. Glad to know I didn't miss much by not reading the whole book.

I've heard others really loved it, and I'm glad the series has found fans, but I think I'll stick with her contemporary books. Still need to track down a copy of The Art of Losing Yourself.

message 46: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Hi Andrea! The Art of Losing Yourself has been my favorite Ganshert so far. It made my top 10 list for 2015.

message 47: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4557 comments Oh wow! Glad to hear I'm in for a good read when I get to that one. Thanks for the high recommendation.

message 48: by Dizzy (new)

Dizzy (dizzy_booknerd) | 249 comments Hi guys! So sorry for my absence - for some reason I wasn't getting the notifications for this group!! But I'm here and ready to go - off to pick my "gift" book now, I'll let you know what I choose! :)

message 49: by Staci (new)

Staci | 937 comments Awesome Dizzy! There are several ideas on the team threads.

message 50: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1302 comments Category: The Gift Done

Book: The Gifting (Gifting #1) by K.E. Ganshert
Rating: 3.5
Review; https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.