Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2017 > General Buddy Reads Requests

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
What is a "buddy read"?

A "buddy read" is when one or more persons agree to read a book with you, that isn't a scheduled group book of the month (and therefore not run by one of the group moderators - we however may join in with a buddy read)

The rules are there are pretty much no rules. You just need one other member to read the book with you. Then it's up to you to decide when and how.
No restrictions on dates, no restrictions on how long it takes to read, no restrictions on how you discuss the book (you can have a set schedule, you can discuss as you read or you can discuss at the end). It's all up to you!

What to do
Comment below which book you'd like to read and if someone(s) wants to join you, work out when you'd like to start.

Once agreed, start your own thread to discuss the book (the moderators will not do this for you). You can do this by doing the following:

- Click on this link https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...
- Click on 'new topic' at the top right of the of the list
- Fill in the 'topic field' with Book Title and Start Date
- (Optional) Type the book in 'this topic is about field'
- Keep 'folder field' as Buddy Reads
- Fill in the 'comment field' with details about your buddy read - e.g. what the book is, book summary, reading schedule (if any), use or non use of spoiler tags*
*Above are examples, you don't have to do any of these (remember there are no rules) and you can add your own ideas.

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
So Kristie, Between Shades of Gray ..... want to do it in February?

Anyone else is more than welcome to join.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6032 comments Mod
Sure. February is good. :)

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
Oooooh I loooooooooooved that book! It was a 4.5 or 5 stars for me.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Savanes - Join the discussion with us!

message 6: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Of course! I will. Do you want to open the thread so that I can register to comments and then I won't forget to join... :)

message 7: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Savanes wrote: "Of course! I will. Do you want to open the thread so that I can register to comments and then I won't forget to join... :)"

Done :)

message 8: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Is anyone interested in reading Seveneves with me?? :)

message 9: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I have it on my to -read list, but there are a ton of books coming out in February that I want to read right away .. so I wouldn't have time for it until at least March.

message 10: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

March works for me!

message 11: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments March sounds lovely :)

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 18 comments Cool! I've been meaning to read it! March, you say?

message 13: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'm in for March :)

message 14: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Ok lets do March 14. Does that suit everyone?

message 15: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments yes!

message 16: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Park Can I be a maybe? I have a few books I would like to read first x

message 17: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I listened to that book, and I will be really interested in your opinions, guys :)

message 18: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Savanes wrote: "Ok lets do March 14. Does that suit everyone?"

yes :)

message 19: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Done! I opened the thread! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Vicki and I are doing a buddy read of Salt to the Sea beginning April 7th. If anyone would like to join us, the thread is here.

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I'm planning to read Odd Interlude: A Special Odd Thomas Adventure next month. We do not have an Odd Thomas series read planned for the month and this book of short stories (4.1 to 4.3) fits right between our August and October reads. If anyone is interested in reading it with me sometime in September, just let me know and I'll set up a buddy read thread.

message 22: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Many of us are planning to read A Torch Against the Night A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2) by Sabaa Tahir . anyone interested in joining a buddy read?

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I would join you, Savanes! :)

message 24: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'd be interested as well, but unsure if I'll find the time. So I'll be lurking around :)

message 25: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

When would be good for the both of you?

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Aug 10, 2016 04:24PM) (new)

I'm not sure. lol It doesn't come out until August 30th here, so I suppose sometime in September. What works for you?

message 27: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments There's no time that's better or worse for me .. So whenever you like.

message 28: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Ok what about September 10 then?

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

That works for me.

message 30: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Ok I'll create the discussion

message 31: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I will join too and Sept. Is perfect!

message 32: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Vicki wrote: "I will join too and Sept. Is perfect!"

Yay! :)

message 33: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I'm planning to read Odd Interlude: A Special Odd Thomas Adventure next month. We do not have an Odd Thomas series read planned for the month and this book of short stories (4.1 to ..."

Yes please Krisite

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Excellent! What works for you? I would like to read it in September. I just agreed to another buddy reads on the 10th, so either the beginning of the month or after the 17th or so would work for me.

message 35: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
I can do either, I don't have such a monthly plan like you do (probably because I get through books quicker) so I'm happy to go with what works best for you. If it doesn't matter, then I'd prefer the later start.

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I do have to plan them out a bit or I can't fit in everything. My plans change every month though, because life never works out as planned. So, it's always a work in progress, which is fine with me. :)

Why don't we plan on the 17th then? Just so we have a goal date for the thread.

message 37: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I would like to read either
The Mason List by S.D. Hendrickson The Mason List or
My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga My Heart and Other Black Holes

Is anyone interested? I would be open for any start date in October or November. :)

message 38: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Hey Vicki, both of those are on my tbr so I'm happy to do buddy reads for both.

Do one later this month and the other in November?

message 39: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Ok, great! How about starting The Mason List this coming Friday, Oct. 14? Or is the following week better for you?

message 40: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
This week is fine but I'd prefer to start on Saturday if that's ok with you?

There are 54 chapters in the book, how many do you think you want to tackle each day?

message 41: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I will set up a thread.

message 42: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Alright... So, against my better judgement.... Stephanie Meyer has a new book out this month called "The Chemist". The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer
It might be terrible, It might be great. Curiosity will always be my downfall.
Does anyone want to do a buddy read? It only comes out Nov 8th. So maybe December to give libraries a chance to get it in? I'm flexible.

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 18 comments If I can find a copy, I'm game!

message 44: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 18 comments My library is due to get on the 8th and there are 13 people ahead of me.

message 45: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
I'm intrigued too ...... are you up for waiting until Kirsten get's it from the library ally?

message 46: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'm interested as well. Not sure if I'll have the time to read this soon, but I may.

message 47: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I can absolutely wait.

message 48: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments My Heart and Other Black Holes is on sale at Amazon for Kindle for $1.99.
A perfect buddy read price!

message 49: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 18 comments ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I can absolutely wait."

Hi, Ally! My copy of The Chemist will be available for pick-up after Christmas. Do you still want to buddy read??

message 50: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Kirsten *Don't Be A Grinch* wrote: "ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I can absolutely wait."

Hi, Ally! My copy of The Chemist will be available for pick-up after Christmas. Do you still want to buddy read??"

Sure do! I should finish up what I have going in the next couple days. Anytime after the 28th works.

« previous 1 3