Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Salt to the Sea
This topic is about Salt to the Sea
Archive > Salt to the Sea - April 7, 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 6034 comments Mod
We will be having a buddy read of Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys beginning April 7, 2016. Everyone is welcome to join in the discussion.

This is also a new release, published February 2016, for anyone that is participating in the new release challenge.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Book Summary

Winter, 1945. Four teenagers. Four secrets.

Each one born of a different homeland; each one hunted, and haunted, by tragedy, lies…and war.

As thousands of desperate refugees flock to the coast in the midst of a Soviet advance, four paths converge, vying for passage aboard the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that promises safety and freedom.

Yet not all promises can be kept.

Inspired by the single greatest tragedy in maritime history, bestselling and award-winning author Ruta Sepetys (Between Shades of Gray) lifts the veil on a shockingly little-known casualty of World War II. An illuminating and life-affirming tale of heart and hope.

Spoiler from Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys: (view spoiler)

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
I'm a possible

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
I'm in, maybe I'll join a little later! :)

thewanderingjew | 98 comments Although the description indicates it is about four teens, I found the book to be much larger in scope than that. It was well done, and I think that the audience for this book, like Between Shades of Gray, should be larger than just YA.

Kristie wrote: "Book Summary

Winter, 1945. Four teenagers. Four secrets.

Each one born of a different homeland; each one hunted, and haunted, by tragedy, lies…and war.

As thousands of desperate refugees flock t..."

message 7: by Joanna (new) - added it

Joanna Park Can I be a possible too? Xx

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

thewanderingjew wrote: "Although the description indicates it is about four teens, I found the book to be much larger in scope than that. It was well done, and I think that the audience for this book, like Between Shades ..."

I felt that way with Between Shades of Gray too. There was definite crossover from YA to adult. I'm glad this book is the same. That was my expectation.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna wrote: "Can I be a possible too? Xx"

Definitely, Joanna! Everyone is welcome to join.

message 10: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "I'm a possible"

Bugger it, I'm a yes.

Are we doing a schedule like our previous one?

message 11: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Mar 02, 2016 02:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sRO...
Ruta Sepetys discusses her new novel, SALT TO THE SEA

Recommended to watch AFTER you've read the book. However wanted to post it here so I don't forget about it.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 02, 2016 04:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I'm a possible"

Bugger it, I'm a yes.

Are we doing a schedule like our previous one?"

Hahaha... sure we can. I will have the CDs since there is a longer wait for the physical book at my library, so if you want to give cut offs spots I'll follow along again. That worked out well last time. Assuming Vicki wants to try that too.

message 13: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Mar 02, 2016 04:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Are we going with approx 50 pages a day again? Was that a good amount for you?

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sure. That'll work.

message 15: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

It sounds good but I don't have page numbers on my ebook and it doesn't seem like there are chapters. Chapters are called by the characters' names: "florian", "emilia", etc.
Is there any way we can split it easily?

thewanderingjew | 98 comments try going to books.google.com, type in salt to the sea and choose one with a preview. when you select it, you can scroll down from the cover and view the named sections.. then you can choose 25 at a time or something like that giving the beginning name and final name you choose. i listened to an audio so i had no page numbers either.

message 17: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

There doesn't seem to be any preview yet.

message 18: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Hhhm yeah, I've just looked. Well that's bloody annoying! I'm not sure how we're going to do this now as the chapter headings do not help at all.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kindle, etc should have percentages. I can figure out approximately what percent I'm at (audio) based upon how far along I am. Paper copies, same thing, you can figure out what percent you have read. At least that will help for labeling spoilers.

Maybe the percentage with the chapter heading would work? I know that's a bit of hassle for anyone without an electronic copy.

message 20: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

My first chapter "joana" is at 3% and since physical copy is 390 pages : 50 pages = 12-13%
"Joana" #5 ("I lit a match") is at 12% or the one just after "florian - Thoughts of the nurse..." is 14%

What about you Lynn?

Maybe we can skim through the book and put bookmarks at 12, 25, 37, 50, 62, 75, 87 and that's it and indicate which protagonist + first few words?

message 21: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just in case that would be:
12% : Joana "I lit a match"
25% : Joana "Ingrid sat silently"
37% : Emilia "We waited on the bank"
50% : Joana "Throngs of wounded"
62% : Emilia "I stared at a jar of cotton balls"
75% : Florian "She slapped me"
87% : Joana "Our boat dropped"

I don't know if that would help you Kristie... ?

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sure. I can figure that out. How does that schedule work for everyone else?

message 23: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Looks good to me! :)

thewanderingjew | 98 comments Savanes wrote: "There doesn't seem to be any preview yet."
This is the preview page...I hope it works; all I did was type in books.google in my address bar...and when google comes up, you type in the name of the book.
https://books.google.com/books?id=4y0...

message 25: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

i got that page but i don't see any preview. Just summary and a few reviews.

thewanderingjew | 98 comments can you scroll down...there are usually gray blocks on the right side of the page indicating where the book has info printed in the preview. if you scroll down, the contents should appear.

thewanderingjew | 98 comments go to https://books.google.com/
type in salt to the sea in the search box
skip the ads, the first selection should be salt to the sea, in the description it says preview and more editions

message 29: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

No I don't, maybe because I'm not in the US?!

message 30: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I will try to change my IP tomorrow and see what i get. Anyways, we split the book so it's all good now.

thewanderingjew | 98 comments great. i always check the previews on that website because i listen to a lot of books. i can go to google books and look up the correct spelling of names and refresh my memory about certain characters or incidents if i don't have a hard copy.

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Whew! Glad you guys got all that worked out before I saw the thread. :)))) Now I can just read or listen (not sure what I am doing yet) in leisure.
That looks great though ladies, thanks!

message 33: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Are we all still on for starting this tomorrow?

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

We are! I was just going to bump it as a reminder. :) I am going to be traveling while listening to this one, so I don't know how well I'll be able to stick to the schedule, but I'm definitely starting tomorrow.

message 35: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
A few days ago I watched an interview (non spoiler) with Ruta Sepetys on YouTubeand she said that her favourite character was the Shoe Poet
(Anyone interested, interview is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4u8E... )

I've just read the chapter which he's in first and it totally made me smile, I think he may be a favourite of mine too.

Ioana | 129 comments Lynn,
Thanks for posting the youtube link - can't wait to get home to watch it. The Shoe Poet is a wonderful character :)

message 37: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm starting today too!

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments I hope everyone enjoys . . . I read this one last month, but I am going to keep my eye on the discussion.

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew, does your spoiler refer to the book as a whole?

I finished the first scheduled part. At first switching characters so often was a bit confusing but I think I'm started to get a hang on it. Here's my quick character's guide:
(view spoiler)

@Lynn: I like the shoe poet too even though we didn't see much of him yet.

So far it's a fast read and very enjoyable.

message 40: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Hey Matthew, it would be useful to give some idea of what part of the book you're talking about behind the spoiler. For example:

14% in (spoiler) or
Final thoughts at end of book (spoiler)

I assume you're spoiler is the latter and therefore we shouldn't look at the moment?

message 41: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn wrote: "Hey Matthew, it would be useful to give some idea of what part of the book you're talking about behind the spoiler. For example:

14% in (spoiler) or
Final thoughts at end of book (spoiler)

I a..."

LOL great minds!

message 42: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
End of chapter 'Joana "I lit a match":

HA! You picked a great chapter to end on Savanes. (view spoiler)

Not a huge amount to say about the characters and situation yet as we're still just getting to know them.
I think the overwhelming theme to come across at the moment is that the only real enemy is war, whichever 'side' you're on (or not).

message 43: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Savanes wrote: "@Lynn: I like the shoe poet too even though we didn't see much of him yet."

Apparently (according to the interview) he's only a small character in the book, so we won't get to see a huge amount of him unfortunately.

Alina | 11 comments I read this in February and really liked it. It's my 2nd book by Ruta Sepetys and I really like her writing style. I hope you all enjoy getting to know the characters!

message 45: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Savanes wrote: "At first switching characters so often was a bit confusing but I think I'm started to get a hang on it. "

But she did that with Between Shades of Gray too, so I would have thought you were expecting it? I was.

message 46: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

@Lynn : Indeed! I found a cliffhanger and now we have to wait for tomorrow!

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments Savanes wrote: "Matthew, does your spoiler refer to the book as a whole?"

Lynn wrote: "Hey Matthew, it would be useful to give some idea of what part of the book you're talking about behind the spoiler."

Ha! Fair enough . . . honestly, it may not really be a spoiler . . . it is a very high level overview of my impression of the book. The only way it would be a spoiler is if you know absolutely nothing about the book going in - I didn't know a thing at all, other than I enjoyed Between Shades of Gray so I was excited to read another by her.

thewanderingjew | 98 comments The shoe poet may be a minor character but he has a major impact. I loved him too!

message 49: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Minor! That's the word I was looking for. When typing small character I kept thinking to myself that's not right but couldn't find the right word :)

message 50: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I watched the interview Lynn. Thanks!! It was fun to watch. The author seems so nice.

I took a risk and read Matthew's spoiler. It's safe!!!
I totally agree with you Matthew. I new about the even in Between shades of gray but I definitely think that it's been overlooked a lot. We do tackle this aspect in history class in France. 60millions people died because of the soviets at the same time of Hitler's reich.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Between Shades of Gray (other topics)
Salt to the Sea (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ruta Sepetys (other topics)