Start by marking “If I Was Your Girl” as Want to Read:
If I Was Your Girl

If I Was Your Girl

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  18,968 Ratings  ·  3,412 Reviews
A new kind of big-hearted novel about being seen for who you really are.

Amanda Hardy is the new girl in school. Like anyone else, all she wants is to make friends and fit in. But Amanda is keeping a secret, and she's determined not to get too close to anyone.

But when she meets sweet, easygoing Grant, Amanda can't help but start to let him into her life. As they spend more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about If I Was Your Girl, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shira Glassman As others have mentioned, this book was written by a trans woman. If you're curious about reading more literature by trans women while you're waiting…moreAs others have mentioned, this book was written by a trans woman. If you're curious about reading more literature by trans women while you're waiting for IF I WAS YOUR GIRL to come out, I highly recommend A SAFE GIRL TO LOVE by Casey Plett and NEVADA by Imogene Binnie (however, both of these are literary fiction rather than YA.)(less)

Emily May
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Edit: I have edited this review because some of what I said hurt members of the trans community, as well as those who love and support them. I have always believed myself to be one of this latter group, but my actions regarding this review did not reflect that. I am deeply sorry for what I said and the upset it caused. I also apologise for becoming defensive when others tried to educate me as to why I was hurtful. Many times people have told me that my opinion is "wrong" or "stupid" and I though ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2017, young-adult
Read for Book Riot's 2017 Read Harder Challenge: #15 Read a YA or middle grade novel by an author who identifies as LGBTQ+

I totally forgot to review this when I finished it (mainly because it was like 3 am when I finished it, wow) but I really enjoyed it! My only qualm is sort of a spoiler, so I don't want to talk about it too much, but overall I found this to be a super enjoyable read. I think this is the first YA book with a trans main character I've ever read that wasn't your typical "coming
Lola
The thing with If I Was Your Girl is that it’s not exactly entertaining, enthralling, extremely interesting or surprising.

Instead, it’s important, eye-opening, thought-provoking and emotional.

It all depends on what you want. If you want to read a book that you’ll breeze through while laughing and smiling and just having a great time, If I Was Your Girl is not the right pick.

This is the type of story you read because you want to learn more about the LGBT community, want to support them in an indi
Emma Giordano
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!! I really enjoyed this read. It was a super quick, fast-paced novel, yet still conquered sensitive topics.

This is definitely a cute, sweet book that finds an equal balance with some intense subject matter. It was a lovely reading experience to be able to be smiling with giddiness one moment, but feeling heartbroken and wanting to cry the next. Definitely a book with a whirlwind of emotions!

If I Was Your Girl was the first book I've read with a trans main character, and I'm definitel
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I went into this slightly paranoid it would be a generic Book Written To Be Important. From reviews, I couldn’t tell if people had thought they should enjoy this book or whether they actually had. But after only a half hour of the audiobook, I realized this was not your typical book written to educate - it’s a story that stands all on its own. There’s something very powerful about the story of a girl finally getting to be a girl, finally getting to date and go to the school prom and dance and fi ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
This was freaking INCREDIBLE, y'all.

Trigger Warning: depression, suicide, suicidal thoughts, severe bullying.
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars It's so very important that books like this are written and published and read, and IF I WAS YOUR GIRL heralds the beginning of a promising new YA imprint at Flatiron Books. I'm especially heartened by the fact that not only is this a story about a trans girl written by a trans woman, but that the cover art also features a trans model. More of this, please.

Still, in my eyes, there are two major obstacles that prevent this from being a truly great book rather than "just" a solid/worthw
karen
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best young adult fiction category 2016!

"It's easy to act like my past never happened, but it feels like I've put up this wall around my heart that stops me from being really close with him."

"You know walls are there for a reason though, right?… They keep things safe and they keep things from falling apart."

reviewing this book in terms of whether it is "good" or "not good" is almost irrelevant, because it's one of those books that needs to exist for rea
Riley
*screams from the rooftop* READ THIS BOOK!
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I know this is a book that will stay with me. It walks a truthful line between queer tragedy and a more positive reality, which can be a difficult topic to straddle. It is honest, and it is emotional, and it is absolutely a story that everyone will get something out of.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I was going to not post anything in my review space and make some sort of disclaimer instead stating “sometimes you just probably shouldn’t write anything at all,” but then I saw my friend Rachel had already done that and I didn’t really want to get sued for plagiarism, so here I am. Instead of leaving nothing, I’m going to use the author’s own words . . . . .

“I have, in some ways, cleaved to stereotypes and even bent rules to make Am
Jennifer Masterson
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, young-adult
3.5 Stars rounded up to 4. This is a VERY important book!!! "If I Was Your Girl" is a YA Novel that parents should encourage their children to read!!! So why did I read this book? Because of all of the hate going on as of late, and because of the new discriminatory law directed towards the transgender community in North Carolina.

Amanda is a teenager who has transitioned from a boy to a girl. She moves from her mother's to her somewhat estranged father's town to start over in a new school. While
Kelly
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rumor has it the cover model is a trans girl :)
[update: the rumor is true!]
____________________

This book is everything. I hope it becomes the game changer that it's poised to be. Amanda is an incredibly real, fully-fleshed girl with a tremendous heart and tremendous hope, even when she questions it. This is a story that isn't about transitioning in the sense of changing from male to female; it's a book about transitioning into the next places, where you find your footing, where you're having a n
Trina (Between Chapters)
Video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZrq...

I read this book in 2 days, which is rare for me. It's a debut novel and therefore I found some writing elements to be weak, but this story is SO. SO. IMPORTANT.

I think anyone, regardless of their age or identity would get something valuable out of this book. This book is intended for readers who are cis, trans, and anyone in between. You may see yourself in Amanda, or you may see yourself in her peers or parents.

This would be such an
Lala BooksandLala
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, need-to-buy
This had fantastic self aware writing, a wonderful main character, and great messages woven throughout.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“I'm not brave,” I said, smiling despite myself. “Bravery implies I had a choice. I’m just me, you know?”

You can find this review and all of my other reviews at Novel Descent Thanks for the support!

Absolutely adored this book, even if it did manage to rip my heart out a few times.

Trigger warnings for this book are: suicide, bullying, and rape.

If I was Your Girl follows a young transwoman who has is going to live with her estranged father because of the relentless bullying at her old school.
Natalie Monroe
"I should have been born a girl."

First and foremost, I should mention I am a cis woman. My review is limited by my own experiences, which has unfortunately not included actual face-to-face contact with a trans person.

Now that that's out of the way, I did think If Was Your Girl was a teensy unrealistic. But, BUT— *dodges flying tomato* not the kind you think. My beef is with how easily Amanda is accepted into the social fold. First day at school and she's already got two male admirers and four
Whitney Atkinson
TW: bullying, suicide, transphobia, & homophobia

Thank you Flat Iron Books for the free review copy!

This would have been a four star book because I thought it was a well-rounded story about Amanda becoming confident in herself and transforming into someone brave and self-assured, but I took off an entire star because the way that she was outed was so cruel and unnecessary. I could feel it coming from early on in this book so it wasn’t shocking—other than the fact that it was really obnoxious
Dahlia
You know books people say are great just because they're so necessary in concept and premise, but then the execution and/or style kinda suck but no one wants to admit it?

This is not that.

I legit loved it, from the dedication to the author's note to the book itself, and will be rec-ing the shit out of it for the next year and beyond. So happy to finally have a trans book by a trans author in YA from a big publisher, and the fact that there's even trans rep on the cover is just the perfect icing.
Marali
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is publishing done right. A contemporary YA romance about a transgender girl, written by a transgender woman and featuring a transgender model on the cover. Absolutely loved Amanda's story!
Romie
I can’t possibly understand why I’ve waited so long to finally read this book. Like what the hell was wrong with me ?
I can't even think properly right now, because this book .... THIS BOOK guys.

The story was amazing, I really like the dual-time aspect because it helped me to understand Amanda a lot more, to see where she's coming from and how much she went through.
I loved the romance, the way Grant and Amanda just 'clicked' like she said so well, the Stars Wars references, the cute moments, this
*eKa*
If I was Your Girl is my second book that deals with transgender theme. My first one is Lily and Dunkin. So, reading this book is like reading Lily's transgender life only she's more grown up and her name here is Amanda. Both Lily and Amanda got bullied at school. They also has a forbearing and understanding mother but an intolerant father.

What's new from this book for me is that now I got to see how a fully transgender people like Amanda socializes at high school where no one knows her story.
☙ percy ❧
[Received this book through Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.]

"I wasn't sorry I existed any more. I deserved to live. I deserved to find love. I knew now - I believed, now - that I deserved to be loved."

I cried a grand total of 4 times during this book, not counting the tear I shed at the Author's Note at the very end.

It is very brave to be transgender in this world, and it's even braver to write a book about a transgender character based on your experiences as trans. I know nearly everyone who's
Mafi
Definitivamente posso dizer que nunca tinha lido um livro com uma personagem assim.

Um livro importante que devia ser lido por todos, sendo a autora transexual não tenham receio de não ficarem bem informados, pois não sendo um livro explícito sobre a transição, informa bem alguns passos do processo físico e psicológico da protagonista. Gostei muito e espero ler mais livros dentro deste tema que me façam ganhar mais conhecimento sobre o assunto.

---

(...)

Pela diversidade de personagens que o apresen
Elizabeth
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I will start off by saying that I am a cis woman, and therefore my review is limited to my own experiences.

I love being a woman. It is a huge part of who I am, and I would be devastated if tomorrow someone told me I had to be a man because that's who I really was. My heart breaks for trans people when I think about the incredible amount of difficulties they face, simply for being themselves. And the amount of people who can't be themselves due to fear for their own safety.

As many more before me
✨    jamieson   ✨
i'm so glad I finally read this book. It's been sitting on my backlist collecting dust and I'm SO GLAD I finally read it.

This is an ownvoices book about a transwoman called Amanda who moves schools in order to live with her father. It follows her becoming situated in the town, and trying to navigate high school life, whilst not outing herself as trans to those she meets.

I think this was definitely a strong debut, the prose really carried me through this book and so it was a quick and easy read
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book was so very cute, and SOOO informative. I learned so much about the trans community and how to be respectful of those within it and I am just so pleased to have read it. Only taking off a star because I feel like there were a few bits of the plot that were a little convenient or left unresolved, but I'm still so happy with this.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2016, ya
I kept hearing about this book and decided I needed to read it too. In some ways I believe it's a first - a YA novel about a transgender teen, written by a transgender author, and even the cover model is a transperson from what I understand. Crossing boundaries like crazy.

On other levels it is a pretty "typical" teen novel, in the sense that Amanda discovers that she is not the only one with secrets, not the only one living with high stakes should those secrets be uncovered, and the surrounding
Emer
from the blurb:
"Amanda Hardy is the new girl in school. Like any other girl, all she wants is to make friends and fit in. But she is keeping a secret. There’s a reason why she transferred schools for her senior year, and why she’s determined not to get too close to anyone. Amanda used to be Andrew."

As I was reading this book I was a little disappointed. Because this is such a hugely important subject matter. We need more own voices YA novels about trans issues but this one just seemed a little b
Tasha
Such a wonderful book. I love that this was not about Amanda transitioning but just her being a girl and falling in love with a boy. The ending left me wanting so much MORE.
  • Alex As Well
  • Symptoms of Being Human
  • Juliet Takes a Breath
  • You Know Me Well
  • Lily and Dunkin
MEREDITH RUSSO lives in Chattanooga, Tennessee with her two children. If I Was Your Girl is her debut novel.
More about Meredith Russo

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“For as long as I could remember, I had been apologizing for existing, for trying to be who I was, to live the life I was meant to lead.” 61 likes
“You can have anything,” she said, “once you admit you deserve it.” 51 likes