Start by marking “Caraval (Caraval, #1)” as Want to Read:
Caraval (Caraval, #1)

Caraval (Caraval #1)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  1,404 Ratings  ·  726 Reviews
Whatever you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more than just a game or a performance. It's the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world . . .

Welcome, welcome to Caraval―Stephanie Garber’s sweeping tale of two sisters who escape their ruthless father when they enter the dangerous intrigue of a legendary game.

Scarlett has never left the
Expected publication: January 31st 2017 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Caraval, please sign up.

Sarah This is the first in a two-book series.
Tricia Bowen I believe most people have gotten an ARC (Advance Reading Copy) from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
I received my ARC because I work…more
I received my ARC because I work for a bookstore. (less)
A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. MaasUntitled by Sarah J. MaasLord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareCarve the Mark by Veronica RothKing's Cage by Victoria Aveyard
YA Novels of 2017
826 books — 3,849 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberGilded Cage by Vic  JamesWintersong by S. Jae-JonesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn EvesFrostblood by Elly Blake
YA Debuts 2017
140 books — 950 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola  Reviewer
Before you enter the world of Caraval, you must remember that it’s all a game . . .

4.5 stars. I’m very impressed with this book. The most important thing you need to know is that, although it’s marketed as such, it really isn’t a competition per se. I mean, it’s as much a competition as THE NIGHT CIRCUS is.

Sure, it’s a game indeed, a treacherous game that you can lose yourself in at any moment, but it’s not a competition. I’m not going to elaborate, because I’d have to reveal some things that
Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
This freaking book HOLY CRAP.
I have a feeling this book is going to be a huge hit when it comes out, and rightfully so. This is the kind of story that you just want to devour because you can't get enough. It's a beautiful story about sisterhood and adventure, full of amazing characters and a delightfully dark world. It's this grotesque Wonderland like world where the Mad Hatter is calling the shots.
Honestly cannot wait for you guys to get your hands on this. Keep an eye out for it because wow.
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 23, 2016 Chelsea Humphrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: from-publisher
How can I write a review for this giant ball of awesome and do it justice? I was intrigued by the summary from the second I found this was coming out, but had no clue if it would live up to the hype. The back cover boasts of “The spell-casting fantasy destined to become a sensation” and Fox 2000 has already purchased the rights to turn this into a major motion film, which claims some pretty mind-blowing story is within the covers. This book was even better than I could have imagined and then som ...more
Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things
*Full Review Update!!* (Spoiler free)
I cannot rave enough guys... this book wins everything.

This has made it in to my absolute all time favorites. I can't even function normally to describe it... I am absolutely floored. Zero complaints. I enjoyed every sentence.. every page.

I couldn't get enough. It was whimsical, off the charts electric, romantic, mysterious, enchanting, enthralling... full of twists and turns. So many that I thought the ending couldn't possibly live up to the mystery this c
Cait • A Page with a View
I'm not sure if I should call this one of my favorite books of 2016 or 2017, but it's definitely at the top of both lists! I can totally see why Fox already bought the movie rights!!

The setting kind of feels like The Night Circus meets the first Pirates of the Caribbean with a bit of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus thrown in? The story is completely unique, though, and TOTALLY pulled me in. I'll write a more detailed review closer to 2017, but here's some general gushing for now:

Every single
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)

Whatever you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more than just a game or a performance. It's the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world.

Thank you to Flatiron Books for sending me an advance reading copy of Caraval for review purposes.

4.5 STARS

This book was just absolutely ENCHANTING! I didn't know how high or how low to set my expectations before going into Caraval but one thing is for sure by the time I closed this book: Caraval surpassed all my expecta
Jacqueline
4.5/5 stars

VIDEO REVIEW: I just finished filming SOO I will actually be posting my review on Sunday, hope y'all don't mind!

Wow.

I have been seeing this book being praised for months now and finally, I understand where the hype is coming from. Magical and whimsical. This story just flies by and I loved getting deeper into it as it progressed. I'm shocked at the fact Stephanie Garber is a debut author and this is only her first book because it was everything I wanted and more. I CANNOT wait for mo
Alyssa
Jan 04, 2017 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
4.5 stars. 100% worth the hype.

description

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Caraval by Stephanie Garber
Book One of the Caraval series
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Publication Date: January 31, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her belove
Stacee
It is official: this is my top book of 2016.

Stunning world building, excellent characters, delightful swoons, heartbreak, and some of the most gorgeous prose I've ever read in my life.

Perhaps I'll write a more detailed review when the release gets closer and I reread it.

**Huge thanks to Flatiron Books for providing the arc in exchange for an honest review**
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Utter perfection.

An exquisitely crafted story that lures you in by the title alone, Caraval is a story of intrigue and love like no other. This is definitely a book I'd recommend!

Scarlet will do anything to protect herself and her sister, Donatella, from her cruel father and even goes so far as to accept an arranged marriage with a man she's never met. Ever since she was a little girl, Scarlet's been fascinated by Caraval, a game filled with magical performers, a place of revelry and dreams and
Maria (Netherreads)
Oct 26, 2016 Maria (Netherreads) marked it as to-read
I give up trying to get this book to review guys I'm sorry I tried my best. No one wants to trade this book to me.

UPDATE: just got rejected by the Publishers for this novel so unfortunately I'm not going to be able to review this for you guys I'm probably not going to buy it on the count of I need to save my money- maybe one day I will pick it up as an audiobook. I've been trying too hard to get this book from the publisher and of course I didn't get it because it is getting a lot publicity.

UPDA
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Nov 01, 2016 Korrina (OwlCrate) rated it it was amazing
This book was just so much fun! What an absolute magical and visual delight. It took so many twists and turns, it really kept me on my toes and made me want to devour the story. Absolutely loved it.
Candace (Literary Dust)
Nov 11, 2016 Candace (Literary Dust) rated it really liked it
I loved this world and the writing! I felt like I could actual visualize what everything looked and felt like. The action was non stop, there was a great sister bond, and the romance was sweet. There were a lot of things that were predictable that I guessed before they occurred, but that epilogue was perfect. I am ready for book two! Thanks Netgalley! Full review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20...
Joshua Gabriel (Forever Bookish Josh)
Jan 15, 2017 Joshua Gabriel (Forever Bookish Josh) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Frozen
Thank you, Hachette Australia, for sending me an ARC of this book (via NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review.

In many ways, loving Tella was a source of constant pain.

The latter quote perfectly describes what Caraval is about: a girl who goes through a lot of suffering because of her sister. In a way, this book is another tribute to Frozen. The plot mainly revolves around Scarlett desperately trying to find Tella, who is kidnapped by the mysterious Caraval Master Legend. With the help of a
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
Although 2017 has only just begun, I can tell that Caraval is one of the best books of the year.The concept is so original and the main character is so clever. I adored the world of Caraval and how beautifully described everything is. This book is a must-read!

Caraval is so different from anything I have ever read. It is hard to describe this book since it is so complex, but basically, it is about a girl who must save her sister by completing the game of Caraval. I loved the sisterly bond between
Julie Eshbaugh
I was very fortunate to receive an early bound manuscript of CARAVAL by Stephanie Garber. I was hooked by the description alone, but from the very first pages, I knew I had entered a world I would never want to leave. CARAVAL is so many things--it's a sibling story, a puzzle, a lush fantasy, a romance. It's all these things, but it's also so much more! Reading this book was such an immersive experience, as if the pages truly were enchanted and I was falling under a spell woven by every carefully ...more
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
This book sounds (and looks) like a dream.

description
Sam
Dec 15, 2016 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
WOW. I started this on the train home today on a whim, and the magnetic pull of Caraval could not be denied. I was expecting light, enjoyable YA, so I was caught off guard in the best way possible by the depth of the world building, the believable and slow progressing love story, the devotion of Scarlett and the faith and ingenuity of Tella (the two sisters at the center of the novel), the endless action and thrills and building stakes, and overall the exhilarating, magical spell the book had on ...more
D.J.
Dec 12, 2016 D.J. rated it it was amazing
Sophisticated, sensual, and devastatingly magic, Caraval is a triumph. Garber's writing is precise and beautiful, bringing every character, sense, and setting to life. The plot is carefully constructed as well and unravels at a smooth and addicting pace, with twists and turns that are both shocking and delicious. This is a must-read that will leave you completely and utterly awestruck.

[Disclaimer: I work for Macmillan, the parent company of Flatiron Books, but my opinions and views are my own an
Andreea Pop
Jul 01, 2016 Andreea Pop marked it as to-read
Shelves: cover-love
This sounds HEAVENLY. And ohmygod that cover -- insta-love.

I SO WANT THIS IN MY LIFE.
Roshani Chokshi
Nov 25, 2015 Roshani Chokshi rated it it was amazing
This is a story about sisters with hearts full of reckless hope and wants. This is a story about wanting, and magic that fastens wings on your soul and fashions fangs on your teeth. It is a tale about love that slides knife-like into your heart and love that makes you bend the world.

There is a game. There are physical parts to it: shops fashioned like pastries, dreamy bazaars that might demand payment in the form of a cherished secret or your voice for a week. There are monsters that crouch beh
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
This was The Night Circus PLUS all the action and romance I wanted to see in that book. In other words, utter perfection.

Full review to come, but I am BEYOND AMAZED.
Kainat Ijaz 《UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT》
What is this book and why is it so hyped up already? It's not even out yet. I'm really starting to hate this whole ARC shit. People are selling it on ebay for $70?! Wow, i can see why they deserved an advanced copy.

Aly's Bookish Wonderland
YASSSSS. The world needs more carnival/circus fantasy books, and Garber did a fantastic job at weaving a story of intrigue, romance and horror. My favourite way to describe it is a mash-up between Alice in Wonderland and The Night Circus-- not everything is as it seems, and not everything is to be believed.
Hannah
Jul 06, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I will have a full video review for this up closer to the publication date, but for now I'll just say, I LOVED it!

I had high hopes for this book because it's been said to be similar to The Night Circus. And while I understand the comparisons, I don't necessarily agree. However, I was not disappointed at all!

This had magic, suspense, drama, and twists and turns at every corner. All that coupled with a wonderful cast of characters made for a thoroughly enjoyable and unique story.

I can't wait for
Stephanie Garber
Apr 15, 2016 Stephanie Garber rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi all!!

Thank you all so much for being interested in my book!

For those of you who are curious, you can now get a sneak peek inside at the first two chapters on Entertainment Weekly! Happy reading!

Liz Barnsley
Oct 01, 2016 Liz Barnsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of Young Adult Fantasy novels – that power they can have to transport you to an entirely different world sometimes more than adult fantasy can do – I was intrigued by Caraval, the obvious comparisons to The Night Circus not withstanding – turns out it is blinking marvellous, entirely magical and a whole lot of yay.

If you like your YA Fantasy with a touch of addictive soul then Caraval is absolutely the book for you – the story is entirely compelling – and nothing in this novel is e
Lexy S.C.
Sep 23, 2016 Lexy S.C. marked it as to-read
Sounds like The Night Circus! Either going to be a crappy knockoff or just as great. Hoping for the latter.
Emma
Oct 26, 2016 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

My first thought in writing this review is that i'm too old for this novel. Some YA can cross the time divide, but for me this was DEFINITE YA. There were some flashes of brilliance in the world of Caraval, such that I would love to see it written with more depth and darker themes. Maybe I need to read The Night Circus... This one is sweet, dramatic, and fantastical, but it also verges towards the silly and obvious. Perhaps this is simply a reflection of my cynical, aged self so if you
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)

This. Was. SO. Good. I only wish I hadn't been so tired (or harassed by a certain husband) every time I tried to read it. Twisty, turny, and with a vivid world so alluring you can't help but to be enamored at each and every description.

I can't wait to write a review for this one-ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT! Again, thank you to the publishers for sending me a copy. YAY!

AGH! And I got THIS ARC too!!!! This is better than any Christmas gift, I think!!!! EEPS!

Thank you, Flatiron, for being my personal Sa
A Little Bit Of This: Caraval 1 6 Jan 19, 2017 02:39PM
Amazon Editors' Y...: Caraval by Stephanie Garber 1 13 Jan 19, 2017 02:27PM
Will There Be Any International Giveaway of This Awesome Book? 1 14 Dec 05, 2016 07:59AM

About Stephanie Garber

14137787 Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by this page. I’m only on this site occasionally, so if you’d like to send me a message, please use the contact form on my website: http://stephaniegarberauthor.com.

I can also be found on Twitter, and I love connecting with readers. If you're looking for more information about my books, I try to update my website on a regular basis.
  • Wintersong
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles Trilogy #1)
  • Long May She Reign
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Given to the Sea
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Terra (The Elementae, #1)
  • Black Rose
  • The Forgetting
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Spindle Fire
  • Bound by Blood and Sand
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Defy the Stars
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)

“No one is truly honest,” Nigel answered. “Even if we don't lie to others, we often lie to ourselves. And the word good means different things to different people.” 16 likes
“Every person has the power to change their fate if they are brave enough to fight for what they desire more than anything.” 16 likes