The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall 2015 > 30.5 - Dlmrose's Task: In the Middle

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 18, 2015 04:24AM) (new)

Sandy | 14037 comments Mod
Task 30.5 - DLMRose's Task:In The Middle

Book 1- Read a book by an author* who uses 3 names. The name must appear on Goodreads as “name^name^name” and the middle name must NOT be an initial.

Book 2- Read a book by an author* who uses a 3 part name* that includes a middle initial. The middle initial MUST be the initial of the middle name of the author of Book 1. *The name must appear on Goodreads as "name^middle initial^name."

Things to remember
Spaces determine names. Hyphenated names are considered one name
Leading initial names such as M.L. Stedmanand names with multiple middle initials such as George R.R. Martin do not work for book 2.

Pairs that work:
Twan Eng Tan and
Octavia E. Butler

Tom Rob Smith and
Laurie R. King

*Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. Other roles or functions such as editor, illustrator, artist, translator, introduction, designed by, foreword, preface, assistant or afterword may not be used for author-sourced tasks. Ask about other roles identified in a Goodreads record in the season's General Questions help thread.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2015 04:38AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 15905 comments Mod
A leading initial works for book 1 as long as there is a middle name

The GR record for Tan Twan Eng has recently been edited to reflect Chinese naming conventions. As this author was a task example, it will still work for this task.

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 14037 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Aleksandra wrote: "are they ok?

Christina Baker Kline
Gina B. Nahai"

yes, that pair works

message 7: by Pia (new)

Pia | 998 comments Will these authors work for the task?

Alexander McCall Smith

James M. Cain

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Pia wrote: "Will these authors work for the task?

Alexander McCall Smith

James M. Cain"

yes

message 9: by Pia (new)

Pia | 998 comments Great, thanks!

message 10: by Trish (last edited Aug 17, 2015 03:01AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2023 comments You come up with the trickiest title puzzles!

How about HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects, John Joseph Adams (it is ebook only, but I've had it verified for length in the past and you don't seem to have a page count requirement); and Hidden Empires, Kevin J Anderson

message 11: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 17, 2015 04:07AM) (new)

Trish wrote: "You come up with the trickiest title puzzles!

How about HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects, John Joseph Adams (it is ebook only, but I've had it ..."

thanks, after 6+ years of tasks I'm always trying to find something new.

Is John Joseph Adams also a contributor? He would not work as an editor.
Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. Other roles or functions such as editor, illustrator, artist, translator, introduction, designed by, foreward, preface, assistant or afterword may not be used for author-sourced tasks. Ask about other roles identified in a Goodreads record in the season's General Questions help thread.

message 12: by Trish (last edited Aug 17, 2015 06:15AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2023 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Is John Joseph Adams also a contributor? He would not work as an editor.

Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. "

Rats. I'd forgotten that one, and sadly it looks like he's only the editor and wrote the introduction. Unless the overall design counts. He doesn't look to have contributed any of the stories. I'll put my thinking cap back on.

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Trish wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Is John Joseph Adams also a contributor? He would not work as an editor.

Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or ..."

A Journey in Other Worlds: A Romance of the Future by John Jacob Astor (yes, the one who died on the Titanic). It's free for Kindle and has a paperback version :D

message 14: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1273 comments What is the ruling on authors with things like 'Von' and 'Le' and the suchlike in their names?

message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Nicola wrote: "What is the ruling on authors with things like 'Von' and 'Le' and the suchlike in their names?"

"Spaces determine names."

message 16: by Trish (last edited Aug 18, 2015 12:55AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2023 comments Megan wrote: "A Journey in Other Worlds: A Romance of the Future by John Jacob Astor (yes, the one who died on the Titanic). It's free for Kindle and has a paperback version :D "

Ooh. I didn't even know that existed! Thank you.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Trish wrote: "Megan wrote: "A Journey in Other Worlds: A Romance of the Future by John Jacob Astor (yes, the one who died on the Titanic). It's free for Kindle and has a paperback version :D "

Ooh. I didn't eve..."

You're welcome! I was looking up Titanic resources a few years ago and stumbled across it. I haven't read it yet, but it's on my Kindle.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1003 comments Just to confirm that I've understood correctly, would this work?

Julie Ann Walker
Leslie A. Kelly

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Lauren wrote: "Just to confirm that I've understood correctly, would this work?

Julie Ann Walker
Leslie A. Kelly"

That's the way the authors would work

message 20: by LouLouReads (new)

LouLouReads | 218 comments Just to check that I've got it right:

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Peter S. Beagle

It doesn't matter that the first one has a leading initial, right?

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

LouLouReads wrote: "Just to check that I've got it right:

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Peter S. Beagle

It doesn't matter that the first one has a leading initial, right?"

A leading initial works for book 1 as long as there is a middle name

message 22: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments I was a total moron when I slotted this back when you first posted it. lol. I completely zoomed right over that they should match up. D'oh.

Really glad I caught that before I started reading anything.
>.<

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Morgan wrote: "I was a total moron when I slotted this back when you first posted it. lol. I completely zoomed right over that they should match up. D'oh.

Really glad I caught that before I started reading an..."

Good thing!

message 24: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1330 comments if there are two authors do both need to work or can just one work for the book chosen.

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

JennRenee wrote: "if there are two authors do both need to work or can just one work for the book chosen."

One author works

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

puppitypup wrote: "Will these work? I like to have options!

Book 1
Shattered Rainbows by Mary Jo Putney
Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Book 2
[bo..."

The book 1 choices could work but the book 2 authors need to relate to book 1- . The middle initial MUST be the initial of the middle name of the author of Book 1.

message 28: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Oh, I see, thank you Rose!

message 29: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments How about these:

Option 1, two possibilities
A Wanted Man by Susan Kay Law
Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews

Option 2
A Change of Plans by Donna K. Weaver

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

puppitypup wrote: "How about these:

Option 1, two possibilities
A Wanted Man by Susan Kay Law
Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews

Option 2
[book:A Change of Pla..."

That would work

message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Claire wrote: "Book 1: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Book 2: [book:Against All Odds: My Life of Hardship, Fast Breaks, and Second Chances|9..."

No that doesn't work, The middle initial MUST be the initial of the middle name of the author of Book 1.

message 33: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1032 comments Ahh I misunderstood, thank you for letting me know.

message 34: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1032 comments Hope I've understood it right this time...

Book 1: Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Book 2: Overheard in a Dream by Torey L. Hayden

message 35: by Dlmrose (new)

Claire wrote: "Hope I've understood it right this time...

Book 1: Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Book 2: Overheard in a Dream by [author:Torey L. Hayden|2911..."

yes, remember to check ARBookFinder for the children's genre info for Treasure Island