SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > May 2014 Science Fiction Open Nominations

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 05, 2014 10:35AM) (new)

The May Science Fiction Nominations are wide open this month. All Science Fiction books are eligible so long as they comply with our few rules. So let's have at it. Now's your chance to nominate that book you've been wanting to nominate for some time....

Remember our few rules:
1. They must be available as an ebook
2. One nomination and one seconding per person
3. No nominating your own book and
4. Mods can veto a nomination if they decide the book doesn't fit ... :-)

And, as always, authors selected in the past 12 months may not be nominated. For a list, you may check here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Nominated and Seconded
Nexus by Ramez Naam
Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky
Annihilation: A Novel by Jeff VanderMeer
Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord

Nominated
Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand
Ten Billion Days and One Hundred Billion Nights by Ryu Mitsuse
Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan
Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 02, 2014 04:42PM) (new)

I'm going to nominate a post-human novel I've had on my TBR pile for some time now: Nexus by Ramez Naam.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky.

I second Nexus.

message 4: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 15 comments Greg wrote: "I nominate Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky.

I second Nexus."

Roadside Picnic is excellent.

message 5: by Joella (new)

Joella Berkner | 32 comments I nominate Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.
I will second Roadside Picnic

message 6: by Shane (last edited Feb 04, 2014 08:20AM) (new)

Shane Joyce (shanejoyce) | 3 comments as Roadside Picnic as been nominated, I think I'll nominate Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

message 7: by John (new)

John (johnred) I'd like to nominate Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer.

It's the first book of his new trilogy, and it's scheduled to be released this week (it looks like the second book will be released in the beginning of May).

It's only 209 pages, so it won't take much time away from enjoying the spring weather :)

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) I actually want to read all of these so no nominations from me and I am not sure which I would actually vote for in a poll.

As I am a Vandermeer fan and his work may be a little off other people's radars I second the Jeff Vandermeer.

message 10: by Ale (new)

Ale (wasteofpaint) | 15 comments I'm going to second Metro 2033, as it's something I've been meaning to read for a while.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott | 5 comments I would like to nominate Hyperion..

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Scott wrote: "I would like to nominate Hyperion.." We've read Hyperion in the group, but you could nominate the next book in the series if you want :)

This is a fantastic list of books. Of the unseconded books, there are a couple I want to second so I'm going to have to think on this one ... and see what else pops up ...

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 78 comments Mod
I'll nominate Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan.

message 14: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 2 comments Scott wrote: "I would like to nominate Hyperion.."

I second that nomination.
I'd like to add Speaker for the Dead as a nomination

message 15: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 42 comments Can I nominate The Best of All Possible Worlds please?

It has been well spoken of on several sites and I thought it was unusual and interesting.

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) Kevin wrote: "I'll nominate Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan."
We read that back in May 2011; I thought it was a great book.

I'd like to second Boneshaker, it's been on my TBR pile for a while.

message 17: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasstolte) | 104 comments I agree with Boneshaker (Cherie Priest). I read it. It was unique in the books I've read, so it stands out. It has some interesting spins in several areas.

message 18: by Ale (new)

Ale (wasteofpaint) | 15 comments I want to second Karen Lord, because it's a really really nice book (sort of like futuristic Pride and Prejudice in a way), but I'm not sure that's in the rules. Still, someone should, it's a good book!

message 19: by Carey (new)

Carey Bostwick (carebear11) | 40 comments I will second The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord.

message 20: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 42 comments Carey wrote: "I will second The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord."

Thanks guys.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott | 5 comments Since the group already read Hyperion, I nominate The Fall of Hyperion The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #2) by Dan Simmons

message 22: by Chad (last edited Feb 20, 2014 06:57AM) (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) I nominate The Martian The Martian by Andy Weir
I just finished this book and was really impressed. Near future sci-fi with what seemed to me very accurate hard science.

message 23: by Eric (new)

Eric (proggyboog) Wow. That spamming wasn't even subtle. Strike that author off my list...

I'll second Altered Carbon.

message 24: by Andreas (new)

Andreas I... had... to... search that spam-book on GR. Sorry, it just itched me. Errrg. couldn't find it. And I'm happy :)

message 25: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) I thought NOOK was dead?

message 26: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) We read Altered Carbon back in May of 2011.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

And the nominations themselves are closed - sorry, I didn't put a mail in the thread itself. The winner of the vote was Annihilation.

message 28: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) Listened to Jeff Vandemeer talk about the book on geeks guide to the galaxy - its nice and short and I think I will really enjoy it. Will just clear the literary decks and then get it read.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

OK, so I removed the spam and the author's comments about the spam. I was going to let sleeping dogs lie even though those were fake accounts to begin with.

But, since the author also has his account set to private and wants to drag this out, I'm just killing the conversation altogether. He doesn't get any roundabout advertising pretending to apologize for fans that don't exist.

message 30: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) I had reported some of the posts made by fake accounts on different groups and am sure GR will take fairly prompt action as always.

I wish some self published authors put more energy into writing something amazing rather than tacky advertising. Or even for that matter put energy into creative advertising so I might be inclined to check their work out.