Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Heyer in General > Heyer Sequels Wishlist

Comments Showing 1-50 of 246 (246 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee (qquiet) | 57 comments I posted about how much I would have loved Heyer to make A Lady of Quality sequel because I didn't get enough Lucy and Ninian in that book. I thought it would be an interesting separate topic to discuss which minor characters in Heyer novels you would have loved to read about in their very own novel, or simply what kind of sequel would you have wanted Heyer to have written?

Mine, of course, is a Lady of Quality sequel featuring Lucilla and Ninian.

How about yours? :)

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I wouldn't want to read a book by someone other than Heyer using her characters. I know that fanfiction is all the rage these days but to me, it feels like the modern author is stealing the characters to profit from someone else's imagination and work.

message 3: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments Leslie, I think Ceecee is talking of a Utopia in which Georgette Heyer wrote the sequels! She says " I would have loved Heyer to make A Lady of Quality sequel". So we're fantasising about what might have been.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne | 265 comments I wish Georgette Heyer had written a sequel to "The Masqueraders"! That would have been pretty awesome! With the old gentleman trying to get his son an Earldom! lol ;)

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne | 265 comments Leslie wrote: "I wouldn't want to read a book by someone other than Heyer using her characters. I know that fanfiction is all the rage these days but to me, it feels like the modern author is stealing the charac..."

I agree with you, though, I wouldn't want any Georgette Heyer sequel to be written by another author!

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hj wrote: "Leslie, I think Ceecee is talking of a Utopia in which Georgette Heyer wrote the sequels! She says " I would have loved Heyer to make A Lady of Quality sequel". So we're fantasising about what mi..."

Oh, sort of like The Devil's Cub is a sequel to These Old Shades.

Hmmm, in that case, I think it would be fun to have a book in which Felix (from Frederica) is in his twenties. I imagine him being somewhat like Sherry (from Friday's Child) but instead being sporting-mad, still obsessed with engines.

message 7: by HJ (last edited Nov 28, 2013 11:56AM) (new)

HJ | 948 comments Leslie wrote: "Hmmm, in that case, I think it would be fun to have a book in which Felix (from Frederica) is in his twenties. I imagine him being somewhat like Sherry (from Friday's Child) but instead being sporting-mad, still obsessed with engines. ..."

That's a great idea! I was struggling a little because Heyer's books are usually perfectly balanced, in that they lives of the hero and heroine have been completely sorted out, that identifying a sequel which could have a good story was difficult. But Felix is a darling, and has real character, so seeing him distracted from engineering by true love would have been fun!

ETA I think he'd have been a bit more thoughtful and aware of others than Sherry, once he'd turned his mind to it and away from his engines.

message 8: by Tweety (new)

Tweety (tweetyperkins) | 39 comments Ooh!
A sequel!? I would have liked a sequel for Simon the Cold Heart. Mainly for the secondary characters, sorry I forgot their names. :-)

I would have loved to see a sequel with Felix. HJ is right about him having a bit more thought in his head than Sherry.

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 53 comments So many of these books leave you wanting more. Yes to the Felix idea. Also Arabella giving out one of her siblings a London season. Or how about Sylvester's Young nephew? That might be Victorian rather than Regency but it could still be fun.

message 10: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee (qquiet) | 57 comments the thing about it is heyer creates secondary characters you would love to read about more..i love all of your ideas!

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments beauvallet,grand Sophie and cousin kate

message 12: by Janhavi (new)

Janhavi (janhavi88) | 165 comments Oh, I love the idea of seeing the Old Gentleman get his son an earldom. I would like to see Edward from Sylvester all grown up, and maybe one of the younger Rivenhalls from Grand Sophy.

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 53 comments I was thinking it might be fun to put Edward from Sylvester together with a future daughter by another book couple. First thought, Freddy and Kitty's child from Cotillion.

message 14: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1348 comments Black Sheep ends too abruptly and needs a sequel so we know what happens to Abigail and her niece. Frederica demands a sequel because her brothers crack me up.

message 15: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments Qnpoohbear wrote: "Black Sheep ends too abruptly and needs a sequel so we know what happens to Abigail and her niece. Frederica demands a sequel because her brothers crack me up."

I agree about Black Sheep. I re-read it recently and a couple of days later went back to read the ending again - I thought I must have forgotten to read it because I couldn't remember what happened to Stacy, and how Selina reacted to the marriage, etc..

message 16: by Janhavi (new)

Janhavi (janhavi88) | 165 comments Well, Stacy takes the money from Miles, and will probably go set up his gambling salon in Europe (he mentions it as his ambition earlier). Miles tells Abby that Selina will find a companion-replacement in Miss Laura Butterbank (or some such name), and Fanny will go to Abby's sister Mary in London. So I guess we are supposed to assume that this is what actually happens.

message 17: by Barbara (last edited Dec 07, 2013 03:46PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 435 comments Yes, that is what must happen I guess. Fanny will love London, and they all like Mary anyway, Stacy will go on his incorrigible way no doubt, though I foresee future visits from him looking for handouts and a place to rusticate etc.
I feel least happy about the disposal of Selina. I hope Miles is right and she accepts Laura Buttertooth/bank/tub as substitute but I can't help thinking it will take a lot of time and the reproachful glances and comments will actually, never cease .

message 18: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments Barbara wrote: "Yes, that is what must happen I guess. Fanny will love London, and they all like Mary anyway, Stacy will go on his incorrigible way no doubt, though I foresee future visits from him looking for ..."

I agree with your forecasts, especially about Selina! I just hope she didn't fall into hysterics and a decline and spoilt the mini-honeymoon at Danesgrove. (Name of house from memory; hope it's right.)

message 19: by Barbara (last edited Dec 08, 2013 08:59PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 435 comments Yes indeed, hj, a decline is certainly to be feared. I know Miles could be frightfully bracing about it (though not quite like the 'buffet' that Sir Horace gave to his shrinking sister Lady Ombersley's shoulder when he greeted her) but still, bracing words if only to Abby when she starts in the guilts.
I think he will engage in quiet, serious chats with Selina, pointing out how important it is she maintain her health and spirits as Abby depends on her to do so , etc etc
Mind, there may a new baby niece or nephew , imagine the vapours over that .

message 20: by Janhavi (new)

Janhavi (janhavi88) | 165 comments I think it was Danescourt. Hopefully Selina will get used to it, and she can visit Abby for months at a time. I actually feel worse for Fanny, poor thing. Even if it is only a few months...

message 21: by yingju (new)

yingju casey (yingjucasey) | 19 comments I'm new here so you all might think me presumptuous jumping in and declaring myself the centre of attention, but I actually have written a Black Sheep fanfic! It's a work in progress; I have two chapters up and you can find it in the Georgette Heyer category on ff.net. It's frothy and silly so please don't expect anything good, but I couldn't leave Fanny alone after finishing the book. She's begging for her own love story. :)

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne | 265 comments Ying-Ju wrote: "I'm new here so you all might think me presumptuous jumping in and declaring myself the centre of attention, but I actually have written a Black Sheep fanfic! It's a work in progress; I have two ch..."

Oh that's so cool! I haven't read Black Sheep yet, but after I do, I will have to check out your story!! :) Its nice to know that someone is doing GH fan-fic! ;)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments Black Sheep is one of my faves! I have re-read and re-read until I practically know that darn book by heart. I hope you like it. One thing that I like about it is that it is set in Bath instead of London. I quite like the change of scene and the change of pace from tonnish London during the season. It's a delightful book.

Enjoy!

message 24: by yingju (new)

yingju casey (yingjucasey) | 19 comments Anne, that's very kind, but please don't have high expectations! I have to agree with the latest poster, Black Sheep is amazing and I look forward to your opinion after you finish it.

There's a sad dearth of Heyer fanfic out there. This is a prequel rather than a sequel, but there's a charming Sylvester-inspired story on ff.net called Phoebe's First Season. I wish more (good) writers would attempt Heyer fanfic because we really don't get to spend enough time with all her wonderful characters.

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie :(

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments Recently, before I joined this group, I googled "georgette Heyer fan fiction" and found a site with some titles that looked mouth wateringly promising . However, it's up to the skill of those writers . I did not get a chance to read any of it ( my TBR pile is large). I did not pay any attention to the name of the site though.

message 27: by Barbara (last edited Dec 11, 2013 08:40PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 435 comments Well I have to say I am not a fan of fanfic, it's usually very bad or at least mediocre in my (admittedly small) experience. But if there were some good Heyer-esque stuff, I would be right into it!

message 28: by Anne (new)

Anne | 265 comments Andrea IS Catsos Person wrote: "Black Sheep is one of my faves! I have re-read and re-read until I practically know that darn book by heart. I hope you like it. One thing that I like about it is that it is set in Bath instead of ..."

Thank you :) from the synopsis, Black Sheep looks very good! I cant wait to read it!

message 29: by Anne (new)

Anne | 265 comments Ying-Ju wrote: "Anne, that's very kind, but please don't have high expectations! I have to agree with the latest poster, Black Sheep is amazing and I look forward to your opinion after you finish it.

There's a sa..."

I'm sure it'll be good! ;) When I read it I'll let you know!

message 30: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1348 comments I want to know what will happen to Abby with her family. Her brother threatens to cut her off from Fanny and Selina if she marries Miles. I think Fanny needed a story of her own too though there's a good hint that she's falling in love with her friend's brother.

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 435 comments Qnpoohbear wrote: "I want to know what will happen to Abby with her family. Her brother threatens to cut her off from Fanny and Selina if she marries Miles. I think Fanny needed a story of her own too though there's ..." I had some ideas at 19 above, that I would love to see in Heyer's inimitable style ...

message 32: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments Qnpoohbear wrote: "I want to know what will happen to Abby with her family. Her brother threatens to cut her off from Fanny and Selina if she marries Miles.

I think that Miles has it absolutely right when he says that once her brother realises that he's a nabob i.e. very rich (and incidentally has bought Danescourt) there'll be no more talk of that type. Don't forget his wife is not keen on bringing Fanny out, since she would outshine her cousins!

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 435 comments Ah yes, of course, the coming out business. His wife will ensure cordial relations if only for that !

message 34: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 480 comments I thought I had already posted this idea, but maybe I did on another thread: At the end of Cousin Kate, Philip is the heir to the Broome estate (can't remember its name), although this will be the first time in its history that it hasn't passed from father to son, and although he has his own place and doesn't want this one.

Meanwhile, just how OLD is Sir Timothy? Although he's presented as old and frail, Lady Broomehas told Kate that he's twenty years her senior, that she met him at the end of her first season, and that they've been married twenty years. Considering that a girl's first "season" usually occurred when she was eighteen, the arithmetic suggests that Sir Timothy is under sixty.

Now, once Kate and Philip are married, there may be an opening for the kind of position Kate herself once thought of seeking: "housekeeper/companion to an elderly gentleman." So suppose Kate learns (ideally, through Sarah, whom we should see more of, along with her delightful father-in-law) that a fellow-officer of her late father has recently died, leaving a widow with some young children, including a baby. (Inference: said widow is still of child-bearing age.) This widow is a gentle, blond woman (Remember the portrait of the first Lady Broome, and Sir Timothy's and Philip's comments about her?)who was loved in the regiment for her knack for caring for the sick and wounded. Sarah suggests that Kate might use her own good fortune to find the right niche for this lady, Kate thinks of Sir Timothy, and--problem solved!

message 35: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments Mary wrote: "I thought I had already posted this idea, but maybe I did on another thread: At the end of Cousin Kate, Philip is the heir to the Broome estate (can't remember its name), although this will be the..."

Excellent idea! Except that Philip might find himself having to act as guardian for any heir Sir Timothy fathers, since he will almost certainly be underage when Sir T dies and Philip is the obvious male relative to be appointed. I am thinking more of the fact that he'll have to manage the estate for his young cousin, since the widow would look after the boy day-to-day.

But at least Philip and Kate wouldn't have to live there and love it, and see their children do likewise, so great idea!!

message 36: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 530 comments Do keep in mind that any Heyer sequel, to be a viable book, would have to have a plot, and that means there would have to be conflict ... i.e., some bad things would have to happen before you could get to the happy ending. :)

message 37: by MaryC (last edited Jan 01, 2014 07:40AM) (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 480 comments Well, I supposed that the plot would be the development of the relationship between Sir Timothy and his housekeeper/companion. I was thinking that Kate might not think of the possibilities at first, beyond finding a suitable home for the widow of her father's comrade and providing a caretaker for Sir Timothy. Sarah would probably see the possibilities before Kate did! Then the story would move back and forth between Kate and Philip as they settle into Philip's home, and Sir Timothy and the way he flourishes in the care and companionship of that gentle blond lady. Philip might see what's coming before Kate does, since he knew the first Lady Broome. Then by the end there are two little boys, first cousins once removed, destined to be friends, and Sir Timothy has a new lease on life. Maybe that's not enough, and someone can think of a subplot--something to distract Kate and Philip from realizing that Cupid is at work at Sir Timothy's!

message 38: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 53 comments Margaret wrote: "Do keep in mind that any Heyer sequel, to be a viable book, would have to have a plot, and that means there would have to be conflict ... i.e., some bad things would have to happen before you could..."

True some of the sequels we yearn for might not fill an entire book. Maybe what we are really looking for is a group of short stories that could answer our questions and help satisfy our desire to see favorite characters again.

message 39: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 480 comments Well, some crisis could occur at Philip's own property that would take up much of his and Kate's attention, and it could be on a trip to London in connection with that situation that, while Philip is visiting the appropriate officials, Kate could go to see Sarah and learn about Mrs. __, who would seem at first simply the godsend that enables Philip and Kate to return to his home to deal fulltime with whatever it is.

Isn't this fun?

message 40: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1348 comments A sequel to Black Sheep could fill a whole novel if Fanny is the main character. I can see a lot of conflict between Abby and Miles in the background. Perhaps Stacy will return to cause Fanny some doubts?

A Frederica sequel could work too. There are lots of characters in that novel that need following up with. The little brothers alone could have adventures enough to fill a whole book. I can see Frederica and Alverstoke trying to get on with the business of married life and making mischievous sons of their own. I'd like to see Lufra star in a short story!

message 41: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments The thing is that we fall in love with Heyer's characters and can't bear to let them go. Re-reading fills that gap to some extent, but some of them seem so real to us that we really need to see more of them.

Since they all live in the same world, I'd love to see the characters from various books meet each other and interact. Maybe we could pair up some of those who are left unwed in their own books? I don't have any specific suggestions yet, but I'll give it some thought and I'd love to see your ideas!

message 42: by Barbara (last edited Jan 04, 2014 10:07PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 435 comments I like that thought hj, that 'leftover' unwed characters could meet up in some scenario or other .
How about ( could we stand it ?) Tiffany Wield for one ..........

message 43: by Anne (new)

Anne | 265 comments It is a good idea to match those unwed! ;) But I don't think I want to read about Tiffany Wield again! lol

message 44: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 530 comments You don't think that matching Tiffany Wield with Vincent Darracott would make for an entertaining story? I'd break out the popcorn... :)

message 45: by Anne (new)

Anne | 265 comments I'm guessing that Vincent Darracott is from The Unknown Ajax?!? I haven't read it yet! ;) Would he be a good match for Tiffany lol?

message 46: by Margaret (last edited Jan 02, 2014 07:08AM) (new)

Margaret | 530 comments Heh. Read the book and find out (it's one of my personal favorites, and hilarious). I won't spoil it for you ... but I will say that the suggestion is sort of in the "they deserve each other" line. ;) And yes, that's The Unknown Ajax.

message 47: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 480 comments Ooh, what a delicious idea, Margaret! If you hadn't added what you did, I might have. >:)

message 48: by Anne (new)

Anne | 265 comments Hahaha! This sounds interesting!!! I will have to read The Unknown Ajax very soon...many have highly recommended it.

message 49: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments Anne wrote: "Hahaha! This sounds interesting!!! I will have to read The Unknown Ajax very soon...many have highly recommended it."

I love it. I love "Ajax".

message 50: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 480 comments So do I, Anne. You've probably read my gushing over Hugo on other threads. Right now I'm looking for an affordable audio of Ajax. Can anyone help?

« previous 1 3 4 5