Start by marking “Duplicate Death (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #7)” as Want to Read:
Duplicate Death (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #7)

Duplicate Death

(Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #7)

London is the scene for a card party given by a social-climbing hostess. Suddenly, the seemingly civilized game of Duplicate Bridge is interrupted by a double murder, both victims murdered by the same sinister method, strangled with picture wire. The crimes seem identical, but were they carried out by the same hand? And, what was the connection between the first, a ...more
Published September 7th 2006 by Arrow (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Duplicate Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duplicate Death

Start your review of Duplicate Death (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #7)
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
4.5★

GH wrote this, one of her her final mysteries, after a break of ten years. I believe she really enjoyed working with her husband on these light, fun novels but the Rougiers lack of understanding of the British taxation system (& the strong minded Heyer's reluctance to take advice from anyone!) meant they were constantly in financial difficulty - & her Regencies paid better.

This one had the welcome return of the Harte family from They Found Him Dead by Georgette Heyer & I think I would have enjoyed it more if it
Susan
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few of Georgette Heyers mysteries and enjoyed them very much. I read this for one of my Goodreads groups, even though I dislike reading books out of order and two characters, Stephen and Timothy Hart, appeared in 'They Found Him Dead,' which I have not read before. However, as there was no time to read the earlier book, I went against my usual reading rules and read this out of order.

Duplicate Death, was published in 1951 and is one of her later mysteries. It involves a murder at
Sheila Beaumont
Duplicate Death is an entertaining mystery with a cast of interesting characters, some likable, some not, that involves a murder at a bridge party.

Before you start this book, it's a good idea to first read the author's 1937 mystery They Found Him Dead, in which you'll meet some of the characters 14 years earlier, including Chief Inspector (then Sergeant) Hemingway, my favorite of Georgette Heyer's detectives. Another character who shows up in both books is the very likable Timothy Harte, who is
Dana-Adriana B.
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Like all cozy mysteries this story is slow with lots of suspects. It is my second book and counting.
Thank you Netgalley for this book.
Cphe
A bit remiss of me to have never considered the mystery novels written by the fabulous Georgette Heyer. Thoroughly enjoyed this twisting and convolouted story in which the culprit wasn't readily apparent. A lot of interesting characters on offer who could easily have done the deed.

Loved the dialogue, the setting and the premise of the mystery over all. Hemming and Grant are the Detectives called upon to solve the double murder during a game of Bridge. Lots of nefarious carrying on with the
Hannah
This book just wasn't my cup of tea. First, it's about 100 pages until we get to the crime and the interesting Inspector Hemingway enters the scene. Before that, the only interesting people are the Kanes and Beulah, and we don't see enough of them. Instead, we are treated to 1950s high society: gambling, parties, cursing, jealousies, and bad attitudes.

I got to where I simply couldn't take any more of the very strong language (not shy of the strongest allowed in society in those days, with b*
Sophia
A bridge party, a guest is murdered, and the Kane family are about to learn their Timothy's love interests' secrets the hard way.

Chief Inspector Hemingway has a nice puzzler on his hands. Six people at the party could have done in the smarmy man who was the victim, but the motive is obscure. As Hemingway sifts through the lives of the people involved a few dark secrets pop out as well as potential motives. Then, there is another murder.

I love these post-WWII era mysteries featuring the colorful
LVLMLeah
The story itself, the mystery, is nothing too special. I found the ending sort of a let down with no big build-up to the reveal. Although the process is interesting.

What I absolutely enjoyed about this book was how campy it was. This is my first Georgette Heyer book, so I'm not familiar with her style or if her writing is meant to be serious or spoofy. But this mystery that included lives of the idle rich in England during the 1930's was written almost as if making fun of them and that life.
Alexis Neal
Murder! At a bridge party, no less! The cast of characters includes a barrister, a Lady, a secretary, a spoiled debutante, a Communist, a businessman, a ballet aficionado, a wealthy widow/parvenu, and a charming gentleman with no visible means of support. When one of them winds up strangled at during an evening of duplicate bridge, it's up to the brusque-but-intelligent Inspector Hemingway (with an assist from his Scottish assistant Grant) to figure out who done it!

Man, I forgot how fun
Patty
"...Mrs. Haddington's servants were at one in declaring that murders were not what they were accustomed to, or could put up with."p. 223

There once was this land called England where the upper class knew their role and their servants knew how to keep them in their place. As far as I can tell, if we hadn't had World War II, this England might still exist. The only fly in the ointment is that every so often, folks with money that they made in some vulgar way, come along and knock this world off its
Tweety
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you really, really like Georgette heyer mystery
This is a slow building mystery. Yes, its Good Except that I knew who the murderer was before I was half way through. And it was Slow. Did I already say that?

I'd love to tell you which characters I liked, but I don't want to spoil the mystery. I can say that Timothy was very likable, and so was his sweetheart.

Then there was Cynthia. I have not come across such a spoiled rotten brat in a long, long time. In the end I was sorry for her. But it took till the very end. The last chapter I am not even
Hannah
Another nice foray into Georgette Heyer's mystery collection. I enjoyed the return of two characters from one of Heyer's earlier books: Jim Kane and "Terrible Timothy" Harte. Timothy, an impish 14 year old in They Found Him Dead, is now all grown up, has seen action in WWII, and is now a young up and coming attorney in love with what his family believes is "the wrong sort of girl". Her name is Beulah ( BEULAH!! ) Birtley, and she's the personal assistant/secretary to the waspish socialite Mrs. ...more
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
So many things to love about this book. The biggest is that this book features 'Terrible' Timothy Harte from a previous instalment in the series: no longer a talkative, dramatic 15-year-old but a talkative, dramatic 29-year-old who was a Commando in WWII. His romance with Beulah was adorable, especially since Beulah is - for once - a 'rude' heroine. Heyer wrote a lot of rude heroes but few rude heroines, and it was great to see the tables turned briefly.

The other interesting thing is that this
Becky
First sentence: There were several promising-looking letters in the pile laid on Mrs. James Kane's virgin breakfast-plate on Monday morning, but, having sorted all the envelopes with the air of one expectant of discovering treasure-trove, she extracted two addressed to her in hands indicative either of illiteracy or of extreme youth.

Premise/plot: Duplicate Death should never, ever, ever be read before They Found Him Dead. Trust me--please. The novel opens and closes with the stars of They Found
Susan in NC
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
4/2019: Enjoyed this reread, bumped my rating up to 4 stars. I used an Audible credit to get the audiobook and read along with it, and that made the mystery much more fun this time around! I was able to appreciate Hemingways snarky comments and ignore Grants Gaelic asides - actually seemed normal when spoken. To read it, with no translation provided, is distracting; the narrator was good, but anytime (like chapter 17) where Grant had prolonged dialogue, her Scottish brogue sounded oddly Russian ...more
Rebekah
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read-2017
Another good listen on audio. One of my top Heyer mysteries. Unlike the related "They Found Him Dead", I did not remember who the killer of the two victims was. It was rather a surprise in both cases, so cleverly done. The clues were there though! Unlike many of her mysteries where the secondary characters provide the humor and the interest and the protagonists are rather boring, in this one the good guys are the most intriguing. Terrible Timothy from They found him Dead, makes a fine hero and ...more
Karina
Last read 7th March 2014. I had forgotten how horrible the homophobia is in this mystery - somehow the repellent attitudes in Heyer's regency books are more acceptable because they're set hundreds of years ago, instead of only last century.

I had to keep saying 'she was of her time' under my breath to be able to finish the book - the horrible prejudices of the author's time and class were so repellent. I'm usually fine, once the writing is good, but this time Chief Inspector Hemingway, and many
Pamela Shropshire
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is set in post-WW2 England, unlike most of her mysteries and involves blackmail, society, scandal and drug-dealing.

While this is one of my least favorite stories when it comes to plot, I adore the book because we revisit old friends from They Found Him Dead, namely Jim Kane and his now wife of 13 years, Patricia, and Jim's half-brother, Timothy Harte, aka Terrible Timothy, who is one-half of the obligatory romantic couple.
John Frankham
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Another smashing Georgette Heyer whodunnit, from 1951. Not as good as the earlier, more action-orientated ones, but a good mystery, with a lovely topping and tailing. Witty and well-written.

The GR blurb:

'An elegant card party turns deadly...
Inspector Hemingway has his work cut out for him when a seemingly civilized game of Duplicate Bridge leads to a double murder. The crimes seem identical, but were they carried out by the same hand? Things become even more complicated when the fiancée of the
Jemma
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favourite case (Strangling, drug dealers, and a really weird young man), but still interesting and clever.
I think I like Hemingway a bit more now.

(view spoiler)
Fiona Marsden
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is probably my favourite of the detective stories. I love the hero Timothy Kane and Beulah Birtley is such an interesting heroine. She had a raw deal in life and has no reason to trust the police so naturally she doesn't come across very well when a man she dislikes is murdered in her employers house.

Having read all this series, I enjoyed meeting Timothy's brother Jim again as well as Inspector Hemingway who was the Sergeant in an earlier story when Timothy was 14 and Jim was the hero with
knitsmith
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgette-heyer
Along with The Unfinished Clue, this is one of my favorite Heyer mysteries. This is a sequel of sorts to They Found Him Dead, with Jim Kane and Timothy Harte returning along with then Sergeant (now Chief Inspector) Hemingway. I never developed much of an appreciation for Inspector Hannasyde, who appeared in many of Heyer's mysteries including They Found Him Dead. I almost always preferred the stories with other detectives. Hemingway is a more personable Inspector than Hannasyde - you get to see ...more
Terra
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
What's a little homophobia among friends? ...well, pretty dang creepy, actually. I know The Times Were Different and all, but still no. Best thing here was the return of Tim Harte, who is a delight.
Bicky
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am reading a Georgette Heyer novel after a long time. Heyer was not particularly fond of writing detective fiction and this is her penultimate book in this genre. However, from the first few pages it is clear that she is one of the most readable writers from the Golden Age of detective fiction.

This for example is in sharp contrast to Christianna Brand and even Dorothy L. Sayers and Margery Allingham who at times appear quite dated.

Heyer has an acerbic wit both in her descriptions and her
Gardener0126
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the past, I had read a few of Heyers regency romances, and found her to be a very talented author. It was a surprise to find out that she also published a number of mysteries.

I found this one to be a very good traditional style mystery. So good, in fact, that I stayed up very late to finish it. The characters in this novel ranged from perfectly ordinary to somewhat exaggerated. Some were quite likable, some were not. Several were just the slightest bit mysterious to start with. All were well
Sandra
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Duplicate Death by Georgette Heyer is another installment in Inspectors Hannasyde and Hemingway Mystery series.

The main character is Timothy Harte who has fallen under the charms of Miss Beulah Birtley, who in turn is totally unacceptable for him in his mother's opinion, Thus his older half brother has to step on a scene and intervene.
Interesting part is the Timothy has already been featured in an another book when he was only 14 years old and a pesky boy at that.
Murder happens at a bridge
Janet
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A civilised game of Duplicate Bridge ends in a double murder in which both victims were strangled with a tourniquet of picture wire. The crimes seem identical, but were they carried out by the same hand? The odds of solving this crime are stacked up against Chief Inspector Hemingway. Fortunately, this first-rate detective doesn't miss a trick.
Another traditional whodunit, this novel moves forward in time & is set in the 1950's, we also meet some of the characters from her earlier novel They
Paraphrodite
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2018
3 stars.

A bit more interesting than the previous 2 books in the series. Also we have a couple of characters back from They Found Him Dead . Terrible Timothy is now all grown up and working as a lawyer in the city. He's fallen in love with a girl with a shady background. She's the personal secretary of the woman who organized a card party during which a close family friend was killed. Whilst Hemingway is still investigating that murder, the girl's employer is also killed in the same manner...
ShanDizzy
What a ghastly set of characters! I liked no one, not even the Inspector. So far this is my least favorite GH mystery.
Tania
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I didn't enjoy this as much as other Heyer mysteries I've read, but it was still enjoyable. A proper review will follow.

***Thanks to Netgalley for a review copy of this book^^^
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Gazebo (Miss Silver, #27)
  • Smallbone Deceased (Inspector Hazlerigg, #4)
  • Hand in Glove (Roderick Alleyn, #22)
  • Night at the Vulcan (Roderick Alleyn, #16)
  • Spinsters in Jeopardy (Roderick Alleyn #17)
  • The Silent Pool (Miss Silver, #25)
  • Death of a Fool (Roderick Alleyn, #19)
  • Tied Up In Tinsel (Roderick Alleyn, #27)
  • Speak Justly of the Dead (Robert MacDonald, #36)
  • False Scent (Roderick Alleyn, #21)
  • Scales of Justice (Roderick Alleyn, #18)
  • Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29)
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • Surfeit of Suspects (Chief Inspector Littlejohn, #41)
  • A Wreath for Rivera (Roderick Alleyn, #15)
  • Light Thickens (Roderick Alleyn #32)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer. Rougier later became a barrister and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance

Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway (8 books)
  • Death in the Stocks (Inspectors Hannasyde and Hemingway #1)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #2)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway, #3)
  • A Blunt Instrument (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway, #4)
  • No Wind of Blame (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #5)
  • Envious Casca (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #6)
  • Detection Unlimited (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #8)