Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
This topic is about Turn Coat
Archived: Series Reads > Turn Coat (Dresden Files #11), by Jim Butcher (Start Date: January 06, 2014)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 147 (147 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Jan 12, 2014 09:17AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Turn Coat, by Jim Butcher

When it comes to the magical ruling body known as the White Council, Harry keeps his nose clean and his head down. For years, the Council has held a death mark over Harry's head. He's still thought of as a black sheep by some;and as a sacrificial lamb by others. But none regard him with more suspicion and disdain than Morgan, a veteran Warden with a grudge against anyone who bends the rules.

Like Harry.

So when Morgan turns up asking for help, Harry isn't exactly eager to leap into action. Morgan has been accused of treason against the White Council;and there's only one final punishment for that crime. he's on the run, he wants his name cleared, and he needs someone with a knack for backing the underdog.

Like Harry.

Now Harry must uncover a traitor within the Council, keep a less than agreeable Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head.

Like Harry...

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

In January we are continuing on with The Dresden Files. Please join us, or just stop in and say, "Hi!" or tell us which cover you prefer. But...

Expect Spoilers!

Participants
ShoSho
Lisa Kay
Gisela
Lauren

Chapter Breakdown
Date		Chapters	PPDQs*
January 6 01-10 Lisa Kay
January 7 11-20 Lauren
January 8 21-29 Lisa Kay
January 9 30-37 ShoSho
January 10 38-44 ShoSho
January 11 45-49 Lauren

PPDQs* = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments In . can we read it the first week of Jan?

message 4: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I have no problem with that.

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Me either.

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm good with that too.

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Jan 6?

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm good with that; changed the thread date.

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Well... added it.

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Thank you :)

message 11: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Are you ready? I'm so excited and ready,I'll start in the morning!

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm also excited about this one. I finished my audiobook so I think I will get an early start on this one today :0)

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Me, too! I'll do a chapter brakedown and then do the first set of DQs, okay?

Lauren (laurenjberman) Great. I can do the 2nd set of questions

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 05, 2014 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great!

(Here I am still on GRs fiddle-farting around with organizing my challenges instead of doing the chapter breakdown...)

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments It's 2:40 am and I woke up because of the heat and can't go back to sleep, hubby is doing the night shift so I'm alone. I don't think starting on Harry would help me go back to sleep!

message 17: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Jan 06, 2014 05:46PM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments How's this look, ladies?

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPDQs*
January 6 01-10 Lisa Kay
January 7 11-20 Lauren
January 8 21-29 Lisa Kay
January 9 30-37 ??
January 10 38-44 ShoSho
January 11 45-49 ShoSho

PPDQs* = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 05, 2014 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Aww, ShoSho! No, Harry wouldn't help you sleep.

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Neo (Online Elf) wrote: "How's this look, ladies?

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPDQs*
January 6 01-10 Lisa Kay
January 7 11-20 Lauren
January 8 21-29 ??
January 9 30-37 ??
January 10 38-44 ??
January 11 45-49 ?..."

Isn't 6 days a bit long? I don't think I'll have the control to listen to only 2:30 hours each day

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll do the third

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, you little speed demon, you!

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments That's 90 pages a day, S.

message 23: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments OK let's see how it goes! But I definitely have to finish it on Friday. we'll leave on Sundy and I have so much to do on Saturday

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Good Gravy Beans, ShoSho! I can't believe you're going to be gone so long.

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Maybe I should do another set of DQs before you and you do the last two? Does that work for you? Be honest.

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Maybe I should do another set of DQs before you and you do the last two? Does that work for you? Be honest."

That sounds great. This way there is nothing to stop me listening!!!

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments **gigglesnort** Yeah, I thought you'd like that. LMBO!

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Good Gravy Beans, ShoSho! I can't believe you're going to be gone so long."

I'll have access to internet but I'm not sure if I'll have the time . I'm so excited :D

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I wonder where Gisela is!

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Hugging the porcelain throne?

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Hugging the porcelain throne?"

:D shouldn't she be better by now?

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I didn't go back to sleep, It's 6 am now, I'll start on Harry in a minute

Lauren (laurenjberman) Harry is definitely not conducive to getting a good night's sleep, ShoSho. Once you start its non-stop action!

I can do the 4th set of questions :0)

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jan 05, 2014 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I have to share this with you. Hubby has list of things he has to do before the end of the week and he has left it on the kitchen counter. I just added a very naughty thing to his to do list! Result of a sleepless night!

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Listening to chapter 6 ! So glad I didn't start it in the middle of the night!

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "Result of a sleepless night!"

**hee hee**

message 37: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I listened to the first 10 chapters 2 times , should I go for the 3rd time?:D

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments No, I'm almost ready to start working on the questions. I just need to pee and then go eat something. I've listened to some parts twice, too.

...oh... almost asked a question... but I'll wait!

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "

...oh... almost asked a question... but I'll wait!"

now I'm super curious

message 40: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Hugging the porcelain throne?"

LOL! We've become good friends! I can't wait till this morning sickness passes. And Lord I'm already showing and not even 3 months yet. On to Harry...

What do you think of the title?

message 41: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I've said it before and I'll repeat from this point on in the series DO NOT read the book blurbs they all contain spoilers.

message 42: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "

...oh... almost asked a question... but I'll wait!"

now I'm super curious"

Me too!

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "LOL! We've become good friends! I can't wait till this morning sickness passes. And Lord I'm already showing and not even 3 months yet. On to Harry...

What do you think of the title? "

I was hoping you'd be better by now :X

I was thinking of the reason for the title this morning . I'm sure the coat refers to an animal coat and I have a suspicion (view spoiler)

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Turn Coat Buddy Ready by Jim Butcher

Lisa Kay’s Discussion Questions for Chapters 1 – 10

1. I always love JB’s opening paragraph and opening chapter because they give us such wonderful clues to the overall story arch. And the title of the book always has a double meaning, too. Still, I’m at a loss as to what they could be yet. Well, yeah, Morgan seeking Harry out was quite a surprise; however, we figured we’d finally find out who the traitor on the White Council is in this one, right? What else could they all mean?

2. Do you, like Harry, believe that Morgan is really being set-up for the fall? Or could he be the Turn Coat? Do you think Morgan could break the Laws of Magic? Also, good thing Morgan had the Summer Queen’s favor, though 48 hours comes fast.

3. What is with Harry’s migraines? Is Mab, Winter Queen of the Winter Court, messing with him again? That “summer sun…boiling the asphalt” doesn’t sound like Mab, though; could it be someone else? Of course, “pounding door” and pounding migraine work.

4. Love Waldo Butters; glad we got to see him. I had to laugh when he made Harry assist. As a nurse, I think the scene was well done. You?

5. I also liked the further explanation of a wizard’s Third Eye. Why did glimpsing Harry’s pursuer – a Native American Skinwalker?! – mess with his mind like that? (I’m pretty sure I couldn’t count by prime numbers like that. LOL!)

6. So, Harry retreats to Billy and Georgia’s place, but the Skinwalker comes after all of them, killing Kirby! I’ll admit I was surprised by this. And will Andi recover? Ugh.

7. Yay! Murphy’s “in.” But do you think Injun Joe – AKA “Listens-to-Wind” – is trustworthy?

8. What did you think of Mouse’s response to Harry’s warning about the Skinwalker or naagloshii? Think Mouse can handle him? Even if they gain more and more power?

9. Thomas has such a funny earlier scene, with the accent and the white jag, and then such a serious one with his cousin, Madeline Raith, in Club Zero. Such a range of emotion. Yikes! Nevertheless, will there be future retaliation for Justine – and therefore Thomas – for that encounter? (BTW, I had to laugh over Justine explaining Craigslist to Harry.)

10. I raised my eyebrows over Warden Anastasia Luccio tracking Harry to Club Zero and their subsequent conversation. What did you think? Is Morgan setting Harry up for the fall, or maybe he even believes Harry is the guilty one? (I have to admit that I look up Senior Councilman LaFortier again; I couldn’t remember exactly how he fit into the story.) LaFortier was the “sanctimonious jerk” who Harry suspects of voting against him when he was 16. Certainly motive for Harry to kill him, right? She seems like she’s riding the fence there, saying she believes Morgan is innocent, but then telling Harry he could be setting him up.

11. Also, was it Ebenezar who ordered the Wardens to shut Harry out? Or is Luccio lying? I’m pretty suspicious of her at this point, more so than the previous book.

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "now I'm super curious"

All of that and I forgot to add that question. LOL! I was wondering, since you're listening to the audio, too, what you thought of such dark music at the beginning of the book, before it even started?

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Gisela wrote: "What do you think of the title?"

Oh! That's my first question! LOL!

message 47: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "now I'm super curious"

All of that and I forgot to add that question. LOL! I was wondering, since you're listening to the audio, too, what you thought of such dark music at the b..."

Huh ! I wondered about that. Was there always music at the start of all the books? I can't remember! I thought it was weird !

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Regarding your response under the spoiler in Post #43 - clever woman, you! LOL!

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Regarding your response under the spoiler in Post #43 - clever woman, you! LOL!"

:D we have to see how correct I am!

message 50: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "Huh! I wondered about that. Was there always music at the start of all the books? I can't remember! I thought it was weird!"

I thought it was weird, too! I certainly don't think it was ever that "dark" and atmospheric before, if there was any.

« previous 1 3

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Thistle and the Rose (other topics)
Turn Coat (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jim Butcher (other topics)