Start by marking “Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)” as Want to Read:
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)

Turn Coat

(The Dresden Files #11)

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  80,719 ratings  ·  2,482 reviews
Accused of treason against the Wizards of the White Council, Warden Morgan goes in search of Harry Dresden in a desperate attempt to clear his name and stop the deadly punishment from taking place in this latest thrilling addition to the Dresden Files series.
Published April 7th 2009 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Turn Coat, please sign up.
John I was thinking about this today and then saw your question. I've started reading from book one, and there is a progression. You can start from any…moreI was thinking about this today and then saw your question. I've started reading from book one, and there is a progression. You can start from any book you wish, but beware that there are references to earlier books with a bit of emphasis on the one directly previous to. It's a chain, you can start in the middle but you'd be missing out on the beginning. One thing to note though. The last ones in the series are very good whereas some of the first ones can be a little hit and miss. (less)

·  80,719 ratings  ·  2,482 reviews

Brooke
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, fantasy
I often have a difficult time reviewing books in a series, so I'll just say this one thing: I'm continually thrilled by the fact that every event in the Dresden Files series is relevant to the struggle in Turn Coat. So many authors miss the "why?" - why start a series at a certain point in time? Why is the main character the focal point, how are they special? Why does anything happen? Jim Butcher has an answer for each question and I want to hug him for it. Once again, he serves up sacrifices an ...more
Em Lost In Books
"“There are bad things in the world. There's no getting away from that. But that doesn't mean nothing can be done about them. You can't abandon life just because it's scary, and just because sometimes you get hurt. ”

Lindsey Rey
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, fantasy
[4.5 Stars]
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I KNEW IT! Well... part of it at least.

I never guess the bad guy and I guessed it here! *pats self on back* Though the simple solution is never the entire answer, thanks to the brilliant mind of Jim Butcher.

What can I say that I haven't said before? This was another expertly narrated audiobook by one of my all time faves, James Marsters, who was in fine form.

Brilliant, moving, twisty and turny... just another excellent addition to the Dresden Files series, which has become one of my all time f
Heidi The Reader
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
For once, Harry Dresden was minding his own business when trouble showed up at his doorstep. Morgan, one of the wardens of the White Council who has hounded Harry for nearly his entire life, needs saving... from the wardens of the White Council. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Why would Harry stick his neck out for one of the few men on the planet who has never liked him?

"Because Morgan wouldn't break the Laws of Magic," I said quietly. "Not even if it cost him his life." pg 19, ebook.

Something st
Arah-Lynda
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-said
In absolute fairness my reading of this novel suffered from two things.

First and foremost this is the only Harry Dresden novel I have ever read. While enjoyable I am certain that I would have benefitted greatly in knowing more about Dresden’s world from the earlier novels in the series.

Secondly, I started this right on the heels of having read On South Mountain: The Dark Secrets Of The Goler Clan a vile true account of what life was like for the children of the Goler Clan of Nova Scotia. It has
Jilly
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Another question for my non-southern friends: is it really a problem for you if a man opens a door for you? Because Harry keeps saying that he's a chauvinist for doing things like opening doors for women, and that Murphy gets mad when he does it for her, but that's just crazy talk to me. Crazy talk! Because, here in Texas, where I live, a man is expected to open a door for a woman. It doesn't matter what age either the male or female is, or the health of either. If you have a penis, you are the ...more
Marielle
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-own
God, it was great reading about Harry Dresden again! This one was spectacular... Lots of magic and Harry's humor. It also kept me in the dark for quite a while.
The hunt for the Black Council continues so it seems, and I will certainly be reading all about it!

"I closed the door behind me, while life went on."
Carolyn
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
Things are getting pretty serious in the Dresden Files as Harry hunts down a traitor in the White Council of wizards. When Morgan, the warden who once wanted to kill Harry, turns up on his doorstep hurt and on the run from the White Council Harry knows something is seriously wrong as Morgan has been accused of a crime Harry knows he would never commit. The White Court of vampires have also been set up by someone in their ranks and form an uneasy truce with Harry and the wardens to flush out the ...more
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-earth, fantasy
This time Harry Dresden, Wizard detective, is trying to find the traitor in the White Council, after Morgan shows up on his doorstep on the lam for a crime he didn't commit and Harry realized that hes got to either turn Morgan in or help him out (and get blamed for helping a criminal).

The good things:
-- We get to see more of the White Council, find out more about Morgan, Luccio and Listen-to-Wind. We also see a bit of why the Council thinks about Harry the way they do, and some awesome magic.
Dan Schwent
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was planning on quitting this series if this one didn't measure up. Looks like I'm sticking around.

Morgan shows up at Harry's house with the Wardens on his trail, framed for murder. Harry goes about trying to clear Morgan's name, all the while dealing with a summoner named Binder and a demon called the Skinwalker. Meanwhile, the Wardens are coming to Chicago and it looks like the White Court of the vampires is linked to the mysterious Black Circle of wizards Harry is sure exists.

Why am I stick
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Turn Coat is book eleven in The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.

Hot Dame what a start. Warden Morgan is in trouble; suspected of treason against the Wizarding Council and he turns to Harry for help.

If you’ve been reading this series you know Harry and Morgan don’t get along and also that Morgan is dedicated to the White Council, his job as a Warden, and a stickler for the rules. Harry would love to turn him in, but he knows that Morgan would never break the Laws of Magic.

Things just got mor
Lyn
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Harry Dresden, Atticus O’Sullivan and Jane Yellowrock sit in the Three Broomsticks restaurant in the Harry Potter section of Orlando’s Universal Studios theme park, sipping on Butter Beer and discussing Jim Butcher’s 11th Dresden novel, Turn Coat.

Jane: So if we take the train over to the other side we can see Diagon Alley and they’ve got the Leaky Cauldron over there too.

Atticus: There’s also a Knockturn Alley over there so we can check out the dark arts sights. You know Pottermore said I was a
Richard
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8/10

I’ll just look through my previous Dresden reviews and copy and paste it here. I’m running out of things to say on this series now that would provide anything new or insightful (not that I previously did provide those things anyway).

This was as good as the previous few novels keeping up what the series is good at; mysterious plot needing Harry to do some detective work whilst maintaining an ability to throw some quips around and using the assistance of those characters he’s previously been
Juli
My husband loves The Dresden Files series. He's read every book and every short story. I'm trying to catch up with him so that we can enjoy the next book together. There is no publication date yet for Peace Talks -- book #16 -- so I have a bit of time to catch up while Jim Butcher finishes writing it. I'm trying to hurry though. My husband has a habit of blurting out major plot points ..... so I'm trying to get through the last book without him accidentally giving me any spoilers.

After enjoying
Becky
3.5 Stars

This book was a little... predictable, in my opinion. Maybe not the supernatural threat in this book, because that was new, but quite a few different things were extremely predictable, and I figured out the whodunnit way, way early.

I almost never put all the pieces together before Harry does, but in this one, I did... over and over.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the book. I really did. Harry is his usual snarkrageous self, and I loved him. Things got dicey here, and the tension
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Finally! We dig into the wizarding White Council and find out more about how it operates (and the many interesting characters involved). Delightful politicking ensued left and right, and it was really fun to see how Dresden fit in (or stuck out, depending on how you look at it). My favorite elements of Turn Coat were the settings and the mystery surrounding the Council. I had lots of theories on “whodunit,” and even though none of them turned out to be correct, I love it when books get me so inv ...more
Ashley
Re-read Review, February 2018: As with almost every book in this series, I liked it better this time. I've said this before, but there are advantages to reading the hard copies of the books, as much as I love the audio versions with James Marsters. And one of those advantages is it just takes so much less time to read a physical book, and stuff that you're not enjoying either goes faster or you can skip it outright. I remember when I read this book the first time it just felt a little too long, ...more
Audrey
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fans of Harry Dresden will really enjoy this one. There have been hints of a traitor in the White Council for a while, and now it takes center focus. Harry also gets some romance, and there’s a big scary skinwalker. It’s possibly the creepiest monster yet.

Side characters include Molly, Morgan, Thomas, and the werewolves. Butters makes a brief appearance at the beginning and end. There’s a lot of stuff going on—mystery, action, adventure, heartbreak.
Nicole
Evgeny
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The darkest Dresden book by far. Morgan, a Warder of The White Court is framed for a murder of a fellow wizard. He is hunted to be executed on the spot. The only person who can possibly help him is happened to be Dresden. Yes, that same Dresden whom Morgan was intimidating for a long time trying to catch him doing black magic. As soon as Harry Dresden takes the case, a lot of powers come into play, including a few demigods - all against a poor Chicago's wizard PI.

This is also probably the first
Suz
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy, audio
Man, I love Mouse. I even love Butters.

This one kept me guessing. I kept thinking I knew who it was but I was inevitably surprised.

Thomas broke my heart, but he always does.

I'm going to have such book drop when I get all caught up with these books and have to wait for the next.
David Sven
A very enjoyable entry in the Dresden series. The story starts off with a bang

"...some idiot was pounding on my apartment door.
I answered it and Morgan, half his face covered in blood, gasped, “The Wardens are coming. Hide me. Please.”

Wha...!@? Morgan, the most hard assed stickler for “letter of the law” Warden is in trouble with the White Council, accused of treason, and he goes to see his nemesis, Harry, for help? And not just any sort of help but the kind that under different circumstances M
aaron
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
okay...i give up...i have been giving this series 4 stars the whole way though...but lets face it...it is a five star series. i guess i just didn't want to give an "urban fantasy" series four stars because there would be something "unfair" about it being that good...but the fact is they really are that good. this series is on its eleventh book and is going just as strong (if not more so) now that it was when it was first started by butcher. this one turns the view around to the white counsel and ...more
Donna
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I have loved reading/listening to this series. I not only love Harry, but the other characters too. I don't think Jim Butcher has created a single one that I haven't appreciated....even the evil ones.

I liked this book more than the last one in the series. It was true Harry Dresden vanquishing the evil and carrying on. He has great friends that shined in this one. I like that they are all given moments in the spotlight and aren't just tools used to move the story forward. They feel like they all
Skylar Phelps
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Jim Butcher must have done something saintly to be able to write with Soul Fire.
Wait... maybe it’s Hell Fire...
Either way he’s got some kind of writing magic up his sleeve!
Rob
Executive Summary: While this one is a bit slow in parts it sets the stage nicely for what currently stands as the best book in the series (Changes).

Audio book: James Marsters is terrible in this one. Just Kidding. Still great! Highlights for this are his voice for the big baddie and I think he changed/gave TootToot a distinct voice that is both hilarious and AWESOME.

Full Review

"I love being a wizard. Every day is like Disneyland."

Murder. Conspiracy. Evil. You know, politics. Just think about
Karen
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Turn Coat is number 11 in the Harry Dresden series and I thought that maybe things would be getting a little stale by now, but, no Jim Butcher has secured his crown as King of Urban Fantasy in my mind. Harry gets better and better with each story. It amazes me when an author can create a world as rich and three dimensional in my mind as the real world with nothing more than words.

Harry is surrounded by treachery in this one and the depth of it is even more than he has perceived. He could take th
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great one. The moment Morgan showed up all wounded and asking for help, I knew it was going to be awesome.

Morgan hasn't exactly been a friend to Harry in the past, but I can't help but like him. I'd envisioned a long partnership between the two of them after the events of Turn Coat, made more interesting by the unique dynamics between the two men. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed at how the book ended.

Several other chapters in the ongoing drama of Harry's life also came to
~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more at Book Geeks Uncompromised!

So taking a break from this series definitely did it some good. After nearly binge reading them, one at least every other week, I was getting really burnt out on them.

Harry is back in this eleventh installment of The Dresden Files. This book kind of showed a different side to the White Council, the police force of wizardkind, as Warden Morgan shows up on Harry’s doorstep begging for asylum as the Council hunts him down for the murder of a sen

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Roadkill (Cal Leandros, #5)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
“The human mind is not a terribly logical or consistent place.” 543 likes
“You're in America now," I said. "Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer.” 459 likes