Start by marking “Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)” as Want to Read:
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)

Turn Coat

(The Dresden Files #11)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  97,630 ratings  ·  3,136 reviews
Accused of treason against the Wizards of the White Council, Warden Morgan goes in search of Harry Dresden in a desperate attempt to clear his name and stop the deadly punishment from taking place in this latest thrilling addition to the Dresden Files series.
Published April 7th 2009 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Turn Coat, please sign up.
John I was thinking about this today and then saw your question. I've started reading from book one, and there is a progression. You can start from any boo…moreI was thinking about this today and then saw your question. I've started reading from book one, and there is a progression. You can start from any book you wish, but beware that there are references to earlier books with a bit of emphasis on the one directly previous to. It's a chain, you can start in the middle but you'd be missing out on the beginning. One thing to note though. The last ones in the series are very good whereas some of the first ones can be a little hit and miss. (less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Sam
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  97,630 ratings  ·  3,136 reviews

Start your review of Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
Petrik
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

Turn Coat is one of my favorite volume in the series so far, it’s up there with Dead Beat and White Night.

We can’t always win. That’s what life is. There are moments of glory, happiness, and there are times when we will lose, faces pain, and hopefully rises up then move on from it. Turn Coat is the eleventh volume in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, and it hammered these themes into the readers incredibly well. There has always been a rumor of a traitor in the white council, and this
Brooke
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
I often have a difficult time reviewing books in a series, so I'll just say this one thing: I'm continually thrilled by the fact that every event in the Dresden Files series is relevant to the struggle in Turn Coat. So many authors miss the "why?" - why start a series at a certain point in time? Why is the main character the focal point, how are they special? Why does anything happen? Jim Butcher has an answer for each question and I want to hug him for it. Once again, he serves up sacrifices an ...more
Em Lost In Books
"“There are bad things in the world. There's no getting away from that. But that doesn't mean nothing can be done about them. You can't abandon life just because it's scary, and just because sometimes you get hurt. ”

Lindsey Rey
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
[4.5 Stars]
Lyn
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Harry Dresden, Atticus O’Sullivan and Jane Yellowrock sit in the Three Broomsticks restaurant in the Harry Potter section of Orlando’s Universal Studios theme park, sipping on Butter Beer and discussing Jim Butcher’s 11th Dresden novel, Turn Coat.

Jane: So if we take the train over to the other side we can see Diagon Alley and they’ve got the Leaky Cauldron over there too.

Atticus: There’s also a Knockturn Alley over there so we can check out the dark arts sights. You know Pottermore said I was a
Nicole
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I KNEW IT! Well... part of it at least.

I never guess the bad guy and I guessed it here! *pats self on back* Though the simple solution is never the entire answer, thanks to the brilliant mind of Jim Butcher.

What can I say that I haven't said before? This was another expertly narrated audiobook by one of my all time faves, James Marsters, who was in fine form.

Brilliant, moving, twisty and turny... just another excellent addition to the Dresden Files series, which has become one of my all time f
Arah-Lynda
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-said
In absolute fairness my reading of this novel suffered from two things.

First and foremost this is the only Harry Dresden novel I have ever read. While enjoyable I am certain that I would have benefitted greatly in knowing more about Dresden’s world from the earlier novels in the series.

Secondly, I started this right on the heels of having read On South Mountain: The Dark Secrets Of The Goler Clan a vile true account of what life was like for the children of the Goler Clan of Nova Scotia. It has
Jilly
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Another question for my non-southern friends: is it really a problem for you if a man opens a door for you? Because Harry keeps saying that he's a chauvinist for doing things like opening doors for women, and that Murphy gets mad when he does it for her, but that's just crazy talk to me. Crazy talk! Because, here in Texas, where I live, a man is expected to open a door for a woman. It doesn't matter what age either the male or female is, or the health of either. If you have a penis, you are the ...more
Heidi The Reader
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
For once, Harry Dresden was minding his own business when trouble showed up at his doorstep. Morgan, one of the wardens of the White Council who has hounded Harry for nearly his entire life, needs saving... from the wardens of the White Council. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Why would Harry stick his neck out for one of the few men on the planet who has never liked him?

"Because Morgan wouldn't break the Laws of Magic," I said quietly. "Not even if it cost him his life." pg 19, ebook.

Something st
Emma
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok that bit on Demonreach was epic.
Jody
Apr 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another thrilling installment in The Dresden Files! Turn Coat had a slightly different feel and pace than the previous book, but it didn't diminish the overall entertainment it provided me while reading it. Full RTC!

Actual Rating: 4 stars ****
TS Chan
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

The last several books in The Dresden Files had been really, really good. Turn Coat has got to be one of the more emotional instalments of the series so far. The only way this could have been achieved was due to the fantastic character development of the main cast which to me started somewhere around the fifth book, which was my favourite title up till then. Someone whom I used to dislike, and still did for pretty much a large part of this book, completely took me by surprise in a most
Marielle
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-own
God, it was great reading about Harry Dresden again! This one was spectacular... Lots of magic and Harry's humor. It also kept me in the dark for quite a while.
The hunt for the Black Council continues so it seems, and I will certainly be reading all about it!

"I closed the door behind me, while life went on."
David
May 03, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So what would YOU do if your archenemy, who tried to have you put to death, not once but a few different times, showed up at your front door? Asking you to hide HIS ass so that he doesn’t get HIS head lopped off ……. 🙈😬!

That is basically the main plot line of Turn Coat - my latest Harry Dresden encounter. IT IS SO GOOD! 😎

Once again, if you haven’t listened to a Harry Dresden book on audible and you are a HD fan then get your ass in gear and listen to one! James Marstens narrates these and the dud
Carolyn
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
Things are getting pretty serious in the Dresden Files as Harry hunts down a traitor in the White Council of wizards. When Morgan, the warden who once wanted to kill Harry, turns up on his doorstep hurt and on the run from the White Council Harry knows something is seriously wrong as Morgan has been accused of a crime Harry knows he would never commit. The White Court of vampires have also been set up by someone in their ranks and form an uneasy truce with Harry and the wardens to flush out the ...more
Dylan
Nov 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-2021, fantasy

“The human mind isn't a terribly logical or consistent place. Most people, given the choice to face a hideous or terrifying truth or to conveniently avoid it, choose the convenience and peace of normality. That doesn't make them strong or weak people, or good or bad people. It j
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, modern-earth
This time Harry Dresden, Wizard detective, is trying to find the traitor in the White Council, after Morgan shows up on his doorstep on the lam for a crime he didn't commit and Harry realized that hes got to either turn Morgan in or help him out (and get blamed for helping a criminal).

The good things:
-- We get to see more of the White Council, find out more about Morgan, Luccio and Listen-to-Wind. We also see a bit of why the Council thinks about Harry the way they do, and some awesome magic.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Turn Coat is book eleven in The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.

Hot Dame what a start. Warden Morgan is in trouble; suspected of treason against the Wizarding Council and he turns to Harry for help.

If you’ve been reading this series you know Harry and Morgan don’t get along and also that Morgan is dedicated to the White Council, his job as a Warden, and a stickler for the rules. Harry would love to turn him in, but he knows that Morgan would never break the Laws of Magic.

Things just got mor
Mike's Book Reviews
Full Video Review Here: https://youtu.be/f20fYDLyvhI

What I knew about Turn Coat before I started is that it was the book that came before Changes. That's it. But it turned out to be so much more than that. Like Small Favor, this one continued the hiccup I had with White Night. With one of the best baddies in the series so far in the Skinwalker as well as an unlikely alliance, the fun never stops even when the stakes are high as ever.

Personally, I've been waiting for Morgan to have a bigger part
Dan
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was planning on quitting this series if this one didn't measure up. Looks like I'm sticking around.

Morgan shows up at Harry's house with the Wardens on his trail, framed for murder. Harry goes about trying to clear Morgan's name, all the while dealing with a summoner named Binder and a demon called the Skinwalker. Meanwhile, the Wardens are coming to Chicago and it looks like the White Court of the vampires is linked to the mysterious Black Circle of wizards Harry is sure exists.

Why am I stick
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at https://carolesrandomlife.com/

I loved this installment! I think that I enjoyed this one a little more than I did the first time that I read it 9 nine years ago. Although it must have made an impression on me the first time around because I actually remembered parts of the story which I rarely do. I was hooked by this story right away and wanted to spend as much time listening as I could until I reached the conclusion. I found this to be a very entertaining additi
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Finally! We dig into the wizarding White Council and find out more about how it operates (and the many interesting characters involved). Delightful politicking ensued left and right, and it was really fun to see how Dresden fit in (or stuck out, depending on how you look at it). My favorite elements of Turn Coat were the settings and the mystery surrounding the Council. I had lots of theories on “whodunit,” and even though none of them turned out to be correct, I love it when books get me so inv ...more
Sarah  Aubert
Jan 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This was my favourite Dresden entry so far, and the first to reduce me to tears. It speaks volumes about an author's character work when interpersonal interactions can bring on the waterworks.

This volume included one of my favourite combat scenes in all of fantasy, character development that felt well-earned, and an advancement of the plot that has me desperate to read on. I know that many people hail the next entry, Changes as the volume where Dresden "levels up", but I enjoyed this one so muc
Richard
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8/10

I’ll just look through my previous Dresden reviews and copy and paste it here. I’m running out of things to say on this series now that would provide anything new or insightful (not that I previously did provide those things anyway).

This was as good as the previous few novels keeping up what the series is good at; mysterious plot needing Harry to do some detective work whilst maintaining an ability to throw some quips around and using the assistance of those characters he’s previously been
Juli
My husband loves The Dresden Files series. He's read every book and every short story. I'm trying to catch up with him so that we can enjoy the next book together. There is no publication date yet for Peace Talks -- book #16 -- so I have a bit of time to catch up while Jim Butcher finishes writing it. I'm trying to hurry though. My husband has a habit of blurting out major plot points ..... so I'm trying to get through the last book without him accidentally giving me any spoilers.

After enjoying
Donna
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Re-read Update: I love the humor. It is greatly appreciated. I think I'm noticing that more in all of the book in this series as I read them a second time.

=====================================

I have loved reading/listening to this series. I not only love Harry, but the other characters too. I don't think Jim Butcher has created a single one that I haven't appreciated....even the evil ones.

I liked this book more than the last one in the series. It was true Harry Dresden fashion --- vanquishing
Becky
3.5 Stars

This book was a little... predictable, in my opinion. Maybe not the supernatural threat in this book, because that was new, but quite a few different things were extremely predictable, and I figured out the whodunnit way, way early.

I almost never put all the pieces together before Harry does, but in this one, I did... over and over.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the book. I really did. Harry is his usual snarkrageous self, and I loved him. Things got dicey here, and the tension
Gene
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The darkest Dresden book by far. Morgan, a Warder of The White Court is framed for a murder of a fellow wizard. He is hunted to be executed on the spot. The only person who can possibly help him is happened to be Dresden. Yes, that same Dresden whom Morgan was intimidating for a long time trying to catch him doing black magic. As soon as Harry Dresden takes the case, a lot of powers come into play, including a few demigods - all against a poor Chicago's wizard PI.

This is also probably the first
Audrey
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fans of Harry Dresden will really enjoy this one. There have been hints of a traitor in the White Council for a while, and now it takes center focus. Harry also gets some romance, and there’s a big scary skinwalker. It’s possibly the creepiest monster yet.

Side characters include Molly, Morgan, Thomas, and the werewolves. Butters makes a brief appearance at the beginning and end. There’s a lot of stuff going on—mystery, action, adventure, heartbreak.
Shut Up & Read: Turn Coat, by Jim Butcher 20 10 Mar 30, 2021 06:28AM
Urban Fantasy Afi...: UFA Series Read - Turn Coat - Aug 8 - Aug 29 1 1 Oct 05, 2020 07:31AM
The Dresden Files...: Book 11: TURN COAT (Spoilers Allowed) 40 50 Jun 23, 2020 11:28AM
Dresden Files: Harry’s Lineage 16 50 Nov 03, 2019 01:48AM
If I like Jim Butcher's series, what else would I like? 4 40 Apr 09, 2019 02:15PM
Saucy Wenches Boo...: Turn Coat (Dresden Files #11) 1 7 Jan 15, 2017 11:46AM

• My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Naked City
  • Strange Brew
  • Unbound
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Ruin (The Faithful and the Fallen, #3)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Breach of Peace (Lawful Times, #1)
  • Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
See top shelves…
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)