Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Changes (The Dresden Files, #12)
This topic is about Changes
Archived: Series Reads > Changes (Dresden Files #12), by Jim Butcher (Start Date: February 17, 2014)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 181 (181 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Feb 23, 2014 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Changes, by Jim Butcher

Synopsis put under spoiler!!
(view spoiler)
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

In February we are continuing on with The Dresden Files. Please join us, or just stop in and say, "Hi!" or tell us which cover you prefer. But...

Expect Spoilers!

Participants
ShoSho
Lisa Kay
Gisela
Lauren
Joann

Chapter Breakdown
Date 		Chapters 	PPDQs*
February 17th Chapters 01-14 Lisa Kay
February 18th Chapters 15-27 ShoSho
February 19th Chapters 28-38 ShoSho
February 20th Chapters 39-49 Lisa Kay

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions & Comments

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments In

message 4: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Nov 18, 2013 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Me too!

BTW, I hate the blurb for this book it's so spoilery!

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm not reading it :D

message 6: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Stopped reading blurbs, have you? :D

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Stopped reading blurbs, have you? :D"

Yep! I don't think I've read any blurbs after that huge spoiler! Sometimes when I'm in the middle of a book I read the blurb and sometimes after finishing it !

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, I read the blurb and was very unhappy I did! Don't read it. I actually should put it under a spoiler.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Thanks for the heads up on the blurb - avoiding it like the plague!

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, I'm not reading blurbs anymore, either. However, this one had it in the last word... kind of hard to avoid when one is "cutting and pasting."

message 11: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments From this one on the blurbs are all spoilery, avoid them!

Joann | 495 comments I am so in. This was my favorite Dresden novel; I would have rated it 10 stars if only I could have. I would love to go further into why, but too many spoilers that you ladies wouldn't want to know yet. I'll keep it all locked in until after the read. I can't wait until February now!!

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments That's great Joann . I still have #10 and #11 before this one and I can't wait either.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Neat, Joann! I'd love to hear your comments.

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Any idea when we're doing this one, ladies? I'm trying to plan my February calendar. (Ha!)

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jan 05, 2014 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm good with any day after 4th

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, that's right. You have that wedding trip.

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments How about the 6th again?

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Don't we have Kate on 4th? I'm happy with any day

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Was that definite?

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Was that definite?"

I don't know! Who else is reading that?

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "I don't know! Who else is reading that?"

Patty and Ren... and me, if I can ever catch up.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Any thoughts on when to start this one?

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Lauren wrote: "Any thoughts on when to start this one?"

I don't know, Lauren. But we need to make some decisions before the Newsletter goes out. I put the question of start dates for all the Series Read books to the other Mods, but they are all ill or out of town. This is tentatively what I have:
How are these dates:

Cynster Sisters Duo #2: The Taming of Ryder Cavanaugh,
February 3, 2013.

The Dresden Files #12: Changes, by Jim Butcher
February 10, 2014.

De Piaget #2: If I Had You, by Lynn Kurland
Start Date: February 17, 2014.

Kate Daniels #4: Magic Bleeds, by Ilona Andrews
Start Date: February 24, 2013.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Thanks, LK.

I'm having a small oral surgery on February 12th and might be out of commission for a couple of days. I would really like to be able to contribute DQs, so would it be possible to switch Changes and If I Had You?

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments It is alright with me, Lauren. ShoSho is out of town. I guess I'll have to make an executive decision and say sure. LOL! Of course, she was getting all excited and wanting to do two in the month of February. I don't think I can swing that.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Probably won't be able to swing it either because I'm going to listen to The Angel of Darkness, which is a HUGE book at over 24 hours listening time!

However, if we changes toward the end of February we could do Ghost Story in the beginning of March. That might make ShoSho happy :0)

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LOL!

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Whoa... over TAoD.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Yeah, its 752 pages in paperback - a real tome but I loved the first book and hoping the 2nd continues in the same vein.

message 31: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I don't have a problem with dates but I should mention that a lot is revealed in this book. It's very important series wise. Some arcs conclude and others move forward. I don't think you'll want to wait long for the next one. I read them both back to back. :)

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm happy with doing it towards the end of the month! I'll be back this Sunday!

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Well, we'll put the next books in the series back in line, then it won't be so far between.

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Finally it's time for Harry again!
when are you going to start?
I can start today and have the first set of Qs ready by tomorrow.

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 16, 2014 03:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments 4 days??? it's 49 chapters ,15 hours and 28 minutes ,438 pages.
Happy with a bit less than 4 hours per day , 110 pages per day?

Chapters 1-14
Chapters 15-27
Chapters 28-38
Chapters 39-49

or 5 days?

Chapters 1-11
Chapters 12-21
Chapters 22-32
Chapters 33-40
Chapters 41-49

message 36: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments 4 days!

message 37: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I prefer 4 days too

message 38: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments We won't be able to help ourselves and wait. We're gonna want to rush and finish it.

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "We won't be able to help ourselves and wait. We're gonna want to rush and finish it."

I thought so too

Joann | 495 comments Um..have to admit that I only have 3 hours left on the audiobook. Really just couldn't wait, even though I read it before. :)

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Well, four days will be difficult for me, especially since ShoSho (being in Australia) usually starts a day ahead of me. However, I'll do it.

Is it alright if I do the first set of DQs, then? That way, if I get behind, it won't be that big of a deal. I'm about half-way through the first section's reading assignment. I have to pick friends up at the airport, but I can probably post DQs within the next 12 hours.

message 42: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 16, 2014 07:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Well, four days will be difficult for me, especially since ShoSho (being in Australia) usually starts a day ahead of me. However, I'll do it.

Is it alright if I do the first set of DQs, then? ..."

Great LK :) I'll do the second

I haven't started yet ,I've been a good girl this time! I decided I'd start on your 17th not mine ;)

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "I haven't started yet ,I've been a good girl this time! I decided I'd start on your 17th not mine ;)"

Oh, you are being good... LOL!

message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "I haven't started yet ,I've been a good girl this time! I decided I'd start on your 17th not mine ;)"

Oh, you are being good... LOL!"

I was bad in another way! I didn't do my lunchtime walk today because I didn't have anything to listen to !!!!

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, that's not good. Got to get your 20 - 30 minutes of cardio in a day.

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 16, 2014 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, that's not good. Got to get your 20 - 30 minutes of cardio in a day."

I know , I told you I was a bad too!

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Joann wrote: "Um..have to admit that I only have 3 hours left on the audiobook. Really just couldn't wait, even though I read it before. :)"

That's alright, Joann. We still love you.

message 48: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments OMG that first sentence!

Lauren (laurenjberman) I've started but I'm not sure I can so it 4 days :0(
Still recovering from my surgery - the antibiotics have me a bit wonky

Yes, that first sentence was a doozy!

message 50: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 17, 2014 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Tons of questions; these books are getting more complex! (I can see why people re-read them.) Please, only pick and choose to answers the ones you want.

Lisa Kay’s Questions, Comments, & Reminders for Chapters 1 – 14

1. Whoa. What a bombshell from Susan Rodriguez. Did you have any inkling? And who in the world could have taken (view spoiler) Not that this list isn’t endless. But do you think it really was Arianna Ortega, Duchess of the Red Court of vampires, or someone else?

2. Thanks goodness Harry had Mac to talk to. Considering the title of this book, what did you think about what Mac said about the boundaries Harry may have to traverse? BOOK QUOTE:
“Something like this will test you like nothing else,” Mac said. “You’re going to find out who you are, Harry. You’re going to find out which principles you’ll stand by to your death—and which lines you’ll cross.” He took my empty glass away and said, “You’re heading into the badlands. It’ll be easy to get lost.”

3. Did you blame Harry for being so mad about Susan keeping something like this from him? Did you believe him when he says he and Susan are through? What of the truth in her statement: BOOK QUOTE:
“But in the end, I couldn’t offer her anything but a life on the run. And you couldn’t offer her anything but a life under siege.” Was her concern that she and Maggie could be used against Harry a valid one?

4. What do you make of Martin, Susan’s companion and fellow member of the Fellowship of St. Giles? I had to laugh over Harry leaving him outside, but seriously, do you trust him? Are Harry’s feelings towards him a bit more complicated than he lets on – being used to attempt an assassination of old Ortega – or is it more that he is jealous of his relationship with Susan?

5. Oh! Harry’s office building blows up! (I laughed over Harry paying the rent that morning. LOL!) And it was wired with explosives a few YEARS ago? These plans have been in the works for quite awhile. I was with Murphy; why didn’t they blow him up way back when (Chapter 5)? Or does Arianna like to play with her food. (BTW, loved Molly’s tee-shirt.) I do like that Murphy later (Chapter 10) figures out Arianna has something major planned, and EVERYONE is on edge – Big Time.

6. Harry’s going through all this sans coffee! Yikes. (If that’s the case, it is a good thing Molly was there to keep Harry calm in Edinburgh.) Have you ever tried to quite caffeine?

7. Wizard Gregori Cristos is the one trying to broker the peace deal between the two nations. A few little reminder for me [gleaned from Dresden Wiki]:
Harry and Ebenezar McCoy suspect him of being Black Council. Harry suggests that he may have been the one on Demonreach with Peabody. And now the Black Council has a man inside—they killed LaFortier (in Turn Coat, Morgan was accused of murdering LaFortier) to get Cristos into position.
And he accuses Harry of war-mongering, restarting The War, breaking safe conduct under Accords. And Duchess Arianna? What a piece of work, right? Can anyone spell S.O.C.I.O.P.A.T.H.?

8. Anastasia Luccio intervenes before Harry blows a gasket and now she has guessed the relationship of Maggie and Harry. This can’t be good. I figure the fewer people who know this the better, right? And – eeps! – Harry calls her a coward! Now that that’s blown over, and on a scale of 1 -10, do you trust her to feed Harry information on the White Council dealings in Edinburgh, AKA Paranoia Central?

9. Alright, what is with Merlin, Arthur Langtry? I do agree with him about the Red Court’s variation of an attempted Trojan horse. Nevertheless, my distrust of him go deeper than it just being that his mores are a little warped, right? I mean, he warns Harry off rescuing Maggie, but threatens Molly? WTH?

10. BOOK QUOTE:
“My laboratory,” I said, experimentally drawing out each syllable. “Why is it that saying it like that always makes me want to follow with ‘mwoo-hah-hah-hah-hahhhhhh?” FOFLMBO!

11. Ritual gear? Thank goodness for Bob. But – yikes! Then there is that requirement of a human sacrifice, an innocent human sacrifice. Comments.

12. For some reason that scene with the FBI at Harry’s door and Harry down in the basement laboratory freaked me out more than the centipede. Plus, I knew that thing was going to regenerate into two. You?

13. Gulp. Poor Bob.

14. So… what do you think of FBI Agent Barry Tilly – AKA “Slim”? Think he really believes Harry is innocent of blowing up his building?

15. Okay, of all the sections, I had to re-read that part about the paparazzi and someone attempting a drive-by assassination on Harry. I mean, WTH? I wasn’t sure if Harry was in touch with reality there or not. Thank goodness for his duster. Anywayz… who do you think was behind it?

16. What a place to end: Harry’s faerie godmother, Leanansidhe of the Winter Court, is waiting for him. And oh, by the way, Susan and Martin are in coffin-sized green silk cocoons hanging from his apartment’s wall and ceiling!! Comments.

« previous 1 3 4