Dare to Dream discussion

Seasonal Reading Challenges > FALL 2013 READING CHALLENGE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 316 (316 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Aug 29, 2013 01:23AM) (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments post all of your comments/updates about the fall 2013 challenge in this thread.

The fall 2013 challenge will run from Sept. 5th- November 30th, 2013.

Rules of the challenge:

read 3 books (or more)
complete 3 tasks (or more)
books can be any genre
re-reads are ok

This fall complete 3 (or more) of the following:

1. Sept. 21st is International Day of Peace- so this fall

read a book SET AT LEAST IN PART DURING A WAR.

2. September is National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month- so this fall

read a book that FEATURES A CHARACTER ADDICTED TO ALCOHOL AND/OR DRUGS

3. October 31st is Halloween- so this fall

read a book that features A CHARACTER THAT WOULD BLEND IN AT A HALLOWEEN PARTY.

4. October is National Book Month- so this fall

a. read a book THAT FEATURES A CHARACTER THAT IS OBSESSED WITH A PARTICULAR BOOK

or

b. read a book SET AT LEAST IN PART IN A BOOKSTORE OR A LIBRARY

or

c. read a book THAT HAS A PICTURE OF A BOOK ON THE COVER (post the cover)

5. October is World Blindness Awareness Month and Down Syndrome Awareness Month- so this fall

read a book that FEATURES A CHARACTER WITH A DISABILITY

6. Nov. 1st- Nov. 3rd is Sherlock Holmes Weekend- so this fall

read a book in which THE MAIN CHARACTER
is a:

a. COP/DETECTIVE

or

b. FBI AGENT

or

c. PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR

7. Random task- this task counts toward the challenge but is not inspired by the season- so this fall

READ A BOOK LESS THAN 200 PAGES

or

READ A BOOK OF SHORT STORIES

HAPPY FALL(AUTUMN) EVERYONE :D

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Ok Rachel, I'm in!
Thank you for putting together the Fall challenge!!!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments You're welcome Jenn :D

message 4: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 2567 comments Mod
#7 will be easy since I love short stories and short books :-)

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Dustin, are you trying to take the easy way out? Lol I end up picking really fat books but I'm trying shorter ones for this challenge.

message 6: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Hell yeah, I always take the easy way and cheat - it's just how I do things :-)

message 7: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Aug 30, 2013 06:13PM) (new)

I am going to try to read the following to meet task #3:
The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance A Memoir by Elna Baker
The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: A Memoir

I bought this book when Borders was being liquidated. Some of yous know I worked at Borders and was raised in the Mormon Faith.

message 8: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 480 comments Looks like another fun challenge!! Love #5 in the challenge, my job deals with special needs children. Plan on reading Blockade Billy for a book less than 200 pages.....yeah another one off the tbr list!
Thanks again for another wonderful challenge!!

message 9: by Rachel (last edited Aug 31, 2013 08:19PM) (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments You're welcome, Danell! Glad you like task 5- i think it's great that you work with children with special needs :)

message 10: by Josh (new)

Josh Barnett (joshyboy98311) | 366 comments Yay!!! Its up and looks like FUN!!! =D It does sound like number 7 was inspired from the short story question I asked during the last challenge. lol.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 140 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I am going to try to read the following to meet task #3:
The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance A Memoir by Elna Baker
The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: A M..."

Where do you find this stuff? I mean, how do you even know where to look for it at?

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments Josh wrote: "Yay!!! Its up and looks like FUN!!! =D It does sound like number 7 was inspired from the short story question I asked during the last challenge. lol."

glad you like it Josh :) I think short books get a bad rap- I personally don't think a book is better just because its a thousand pages long ;)

message 13: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Tracy wrote: "Where do you find this stuff? I mean, how do you even know where to look for it at? "

I am mostly a weirdo and naturally I attract weirdness to me. I also know the keywords to use in an efficient search :-)

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 743 comments I've had company for a week and missed the announcement of the fall challenge. It was such a wonderful surprise on a quiet day to find it here. Hooray. Count me in! And once again, thank you Rachel for putting these together for us!

message 15: by Josh (new)

Josh Barnett (joshyboy98311) | 366 comments Rachel wrote:"glad you like it Josh :) I think short books get a bad rap- I personally don't think a book is better just because its a thousand pages long ;)"

I completely agree with you. I love short books as well. Darren Shan has two that are really great. Each are under 100 pages long. So far the only Neil Gaiman book I liked was 100 pages long. A great story is a great story no matter how long it is. It just has to be good.

message 16: by Josh (new)

Josh Barnett (joshyboy98311) | 366 comments Here are my ideas for the challenge. I am not sure if these will be the books I will be reading but its a guide.

1. Resistance: A Hole in the Sky
2. Chase
3. The Vampire Lestat
4. No Sure yet. lol.
5. Into the Dark
6. The Hound of the Baskervilles
7. Different Seasons

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments Christine wrote: "I've had company for a week and missed the announcement of the fall challenge. It was such a wonderful surprise on a quiet day to find it here. Hooray. Count me in! And once again, thank you Ra..."

You're welcome, Christine :D

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments really happy all of my challenge buddies are joining me for the fall challenge :D

thank you all for the positive comments!

sad to see the summer end but I do love fall.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments Josh wrote: "Here are my ideas for the challenge. I am not sure if these will be the books I will be reading but its a guide.

1. Resistance: A Hole in the Sky
2. Chase
3. The Vampire Lestat
4. No Sure yet. lo..."

different seasons is on my tbr- that collection inspired 2 great movies.

you can't get any more perfect than The Hound of the Baskervilles for the Sherlock task lol

message 20: by Josh (new)

Josh Barnett (joshyboy98311) | 366 comments I bought it just to read Shawshank Redemption. lol.

I didn't think they'd be a better novel except for a Sherlock Holmes novel... and I own all of them... actually a hardcover and a paperback copy of all them in one or in the case of the paperback two books. lol.

message 21: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Well I am signing up to read 5 books, possibly more but here are my picks:
2. Fallout by Ellen Hopkins

3. Nightmare before Christmas by Daphne Skinner

4. Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia

6B. Black Friday by Alex Kava

7. Demons by Lester Sumrall

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments Jenn wrote: "Well I am signing up to read 5 books, possibly more but here are my picks:

3. Nightmare before Christmas by Daphne Skinner

4. Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia

6B. ..."

I've been wanting to try ellen hopkin's books for a while- I might read Crank but not sure if i'll have time to get to it- I've heard it's good so hope to read it.

message 23: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments I loved the Crank series! It's important, reality issues. I think all teens should read this series in high school that would apply to them more than the ancient books teachers have them read.

message 24: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenn wrote: "Well I am signing up to read 5 books, possibly more but here are my picks:
"

Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, have you read Ellen Hopkins before? I have never read Ellen Hopkins but today I checked out Burned from the library because it features Mormonism and I though it would be interesting. It is strange how this book is not written like a regular novel but in what seems to be verse.

Burned (Burned, #1) by Ellen Hopkins

message 25: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Yes Dustin I have read Burned and quite enjoy the way she writes lol. At first it seemed weird but when I started getting into the story the pages flew by. Plus people at work would stop and say wow that's weird text lol.

message 26: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Does she write all her books in that way?

message 27: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments The 5 I read so far yes.
It's weird! You should like it since your are quite the character as well lol

message 28: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I love the weirdness in all things :-) Looking forward to giving this a try.

FYI: for anyone who is interested here is a trailer for a very entertaining documentary I watched today called Tabloid. I laughed so much and it was available from my library: http://youtu.be/3FQYFClORYs

message 29: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Oh my it was a tad bizarre lol

message 30: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 140 comments Seriously DC, WHERE do you get this stuff?! I have asked you this before but you dredge up some of the funkiest, weirdest, craziest stuff I have ever seen.

message 31: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments I know right?! Lmao

message 32: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Tracy wrote: "Seriously DC, WHERE do you get this stuff?! I have asked you this before but you dredge up some of the funkiest, weirdest, craziest stuff I have ever seen."

Did I mention I am from Utah and was raised in Mormon Culture?

message 33: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I am so glad to have found my friends on goodreads and facebook that understand and appreciate my craziness and obsession for the bizarre.

In that tabloid documentary, it tells how years after allegedly kidnapping and raping the Mormon Missionary, Joyce had a dog named Booger. Soon after the dog died, Joyce came up with the brilliant idea to have her beloved Booger cloned, and thus she was in the tabloids again. Paying $150,000 She ended up with not just one but five Boogers and named them Booger-Hong, Booger-Ra, Booger-Mack, Booger-Park and Booger-Lee.

message 34: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

On a more serious note, here is a commercial that you might enjoy: http://youtu.be/ed7knDp9iQM

message 35: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Where do I type in the name of my bookshelf and how many books I'm going to read? I'm on my iPod but I don't see the regular layout idk

message 36: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I promise I'll get back on topic but I must share one more clip that demonstrates why men have a bad rap for not asking for directions - the following episode is an example of what I believe occurs frequently: http://youtu.be/Doqvo5f_j_M

message 37: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenn wrote: "Where do I type in the name of my bookshelf and how many books I'm going to read? I'm on my iPod but I don't see the regular layout idk"

I think you have to wait until the start date. September 5th :-)

message 38: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Haha. Funny thing is I was thinking about getting both hose things for when I'm walking Bandit at 2:30am lol

message 39: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Oh yeah that's right, I forgot.
Thanks for enlightening me!

message 40: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenn wrote: "Haha. Funny thing is I was thinking about getting both hose things for when I'm walking Bandit at 2:30am lol"

Are you thinking of cloning Bandit?

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I promise I'll get back on topic but I must share one more clip that demonstrates why men have a bad rap for not asking for directions - the following episode is an example of what I believe occurs..."

lmao

message 42: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Clone him? Outta the blue you chose this to ask me lol, you are strange ;)

message 43: by Josh (new)

Josh Barnett (joshyboy98311) | 366 comments I want the challenge to start already!!! lol. September 5th is too far away!!!

message 44: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments I know lol. Do some crosswords till then lol.

message 45: by Josh (new)

Josh Barnett (joshyboy98311) | 366 comments Yucky. XD No crosswords for me. I rather play Bulletstorm and write! =D I have started reading one of the books so I will have one done on the 5th. Not if two since this book is so small that I am reading. lol

message 46: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenn wrote: "Clone him? Outta the blue you chose this to ask me lol, you are strange ;)"

Yes, I am strange. However, it wasn't out of the blue. The question is related to the documentary trailer I showed. Because Joyce McKinney cloned her dog Booger and ended up with 5 Booger Clones.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments I wish I could have cloned my dog-miss him :(

message 48: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Rachel wrote: "I wish I could have cloned my dog-miss him :("

Maybe you still can. For $150,000.

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2941 comments can I borrow $150,000? ;)

message 50: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Oh I didn't watch that trailer lol.
Yeah Dustin can I get some$$$$$$ too???

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7