Start by marking “Different Seasons” as Want to Read:
Different Seasons

Different Seasons

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  143,740 Ratings  ·  3,303 Reviews
From the Magical Pen of Stephen King, Four Mesmerizing Novellas…

“Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption”

An unjustly imprisoned convict seeks a strange and startling revenge…the basis for the Best Picture Academy Award nominee The Shawshank Redemption.

“Apt Pupil”

Todd Bowden is one of the top students in his high school class and a typical American sixteen-year-old—until
Paperback, First Signet Printing, 508 pages
Published January 31st 2002 by Signet (first published August 27th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Different Seasons, please sign up.

Freyja Vanadis When I was in junior high and high school, I would have read this book but it would have had to be without my parents' knowledge. It's not appropriate…moreWhen I was in junior high and high school, I would have read this book but it would have had to be without my parents' knowledge. It's not appropriate for junior high kids, and just barely for high school kids. King writes for adults, not kids.(less)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I'm going to try and do this book justice..but I know it's not going to happen so do me a favor, if you have never picked this book up just stop what you are doing and run get it.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption:
This is perfection. At 101 pages Stephen King packed a story that stays with me forever. I've been a fan of the movie version since the first time I viewed it. I was so pissed when Forrest Gump beat it out as the Oscar winner for best picture that year. I raged..I've since calm
Ana
 photo 00 0 the shawshank redemption_zpstuxt3y5x.jpg

photo 0 stand by me movie_zpsaaskb3v6.png

Stephen King's best work. I dare anyone to say otherwise.
Fabian
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is closer to the EXCELLENT side of the King spectrum (THE GREEN MILE, CARRIE and THE STAND come to mind) than the MEDIOCRE side (INSOMNIA, BAG OF BONES). Yeah, these tales are familiar: three of the four seasons have become immortalized on celluloid.

Not until the last Author's Note do his intentions and his themes finally converge. He wrote "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption", "Apt Pupil", "The Body" & "The Breathing Method" as unpublishable novellas right after the completion
Ginger
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great compilation of short stories by Stephen King! FANTASTIC!!

I knew going into this book that I’ve seen movies for two of the stories. I thought, “Since I’ve seen the movies, do I need to read the actually book?”

And that’s a resounding YES. A big HELL YES!

1st story: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

I’m sure most of us have seen this movie at least once or 50 times in your life. The book is so well done. There were subtle differences in the book vs the movie but it wasn’t enough
Carol
Well......WOW! These four LONG-short stories are ALL fabulous!

RITA HAYWORTH AND SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION - 5 Stars

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

Everyone has probably seen the movie adaptation or read the book by now and knows the story about the wrongful imprisonment of banker Andy Dufresne, the horror of "the sisters" and his best friend at Shawshank Red, but if you haven't, you are so fortunate to have this amazing read ahead of you.

The novel provides a bit more detail here and there abo

Nayra.Hassan
الرواية الأمريكية الوحيدة التي قرأتها وسط الامريكيين! ! و هذا ريفيو ليوضح ظروف قراءة الرواية و ملحق به ريفيوهات مفصلة لكل قصة

لقد اصطحبت هذه الرواية المحظوظة 🎃مع كتابين آخرين في رحلة اوروبية ادخرت لها طويلا في عام 2010 ..و كفرد أصيل في الطبقة المتوسطة كان السبب دورة دراسية قصيرة لزوجي بإيطاليا ..و لظروف سرعة التأشيرة. .اخذناها من التشيك لذا كان أمامنا رحلة طويلة بالقطار عبر ثلاث بلاد ذهابا و ايابا.. ..و لهذا اسعد و قلبي يطرب بالطبع..
و في رحلة العودة احتلت مكاني بجانب النافذة في الكابينة المغلقة
Raeleen Lemay
Finished Sept 2017
I FINALLY FINISHED! I definitely think the last two novellas were easier to fly through than the first two (particularly Apt Pupil), but overall they were all just good. I enjoyed them, but I can't really rave about any of them. I also read the afterword that King wrote, and it was such a fun little tidbit that I think I want to read On Writing now because his insights about writing were so interesting!

original review from Aug 2016
I've only actually read the first two stories i
Glenn Sumi
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I like waiting a few days before reviewing a book, just to see how it’s taken up residence in my mind and imagination. Some books stay with me clearly even months later; others start to fade as soon as I turn the final page (if not before).

Stephen King’s Different Seasons is a fascinating case, because I got to see how one story haunted me while I went on to the next.

Published in 1982, it was King's first book of non-genre fiction. He made his name writing horror (Carrie, ‘Salem’s Lot, The Shini
Andrew Smith
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
It's definitive, Stephen King is not just a writer of horror and fantasy. In truth, up to a few years ago I was convinced he was a horrormeister pure and simple. At this point a friend suggested I try out his time travel epic 11/22/63. I was cured. I loved it and subsequent forays into King’s extensive catalogue have shown me the range of the man’s work.

I’ll comment individually on the tales but the common element, the outstanding take-away for me is simply the realisation that here’s the evide
Algernon
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

I’m not exactly a fan of Stephen King. I could say he is a victim of his own popularity: I’ve seen so many of the movie adaptations from his novels, I don’t feel the need to check out the book versions. And the first book of his that I’ve read almost 30 years ago is The Stand , which started with great storytelling and compelling characters and devolved later into self-indulgent filler and confusion. So, it’s been too long since I put him on the backburner, mislabelling him as a commercial hack
Madison Mega-Mara...: #68 Different Seasons 1 1 Dec 11, 2017 06:31AM
Time Out Book Club: Meeting Tomorrow...Unless we delay a week 8 4 Sep 20, 2017 01:25PM
Around the Year i...: Different Seasons, by Stephen King 11 39 Jul 22, 2017 10:04PM
Which is better? 9 96 Jun 19, 2017 03:50AM
http://fitnesseducations.com/lucidal/ 1 5 Jan 08, 2017 11:12PM
Horror Aficionados : Different Seasons- Stephen King challenge #13 44 46 Nov 22, 2016 03:11AM
Stephen King Fans: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption-DS 17 175 Oct 25, 2016 06:13PM
  • The Running Man
  • Night Visions 5
  • Books of Blood: Volume Six (Books of Blood, #6)
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • Houses Without Doors
  • Lovedeath
  • Duel: Terror Stories
  • Fancies and Goodnights
More about Stephen King...
“Get busy living or get busy dying.” 8593 likes
“there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.” 673 likes