Casual Readers discussion

Additional Reads > What are you reading right now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 230 (230 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Amber (puresurplus) | 830 comments Mod
What are you reading right now?

message 3: by Amber, The Founder (new)

11/22/63 by Stephen King

message 4: by April (last edited Aug 22, 2013 09:57AM) (new)

April (apriltara) | 63 comments The Bone Season and Gripped: Your Personality is What's Holding You Back (That second one sounds like a self-help book but it's actually sort of a social media satire.)

message 5: by Courtney (new)

message 6: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 226 comments Mod
After Her

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennydecki) | 9 comments April - I can't wait to read your review of Gripped.

message 8: by April (new)

April (apriltara) | 63 comments Jennifer wrote: "April - I can't wait to read your review of Gripped."

Hey, you joined! Did you finish 'Gripped'? I'm still near the beginning but so far I like it.

message 9: by Lila, The Cat Lady (new)

Lila Lockhart (lilalockhart) | 178 comments Mod
Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jjallday) I'm playing catch up with Life of Pi for another club and trying to get a head start on The Bone Season with a little Charles Bukowski in the middle.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Life of Pi changed my life back in 10th grade. It was definitely a jump start to make me get back into reading novels outside of required reading.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jjallday) Melissa wrote: "Life of Pi changed my life back in 10th grade. It was definitely a jump start to make me get back into reading novels outside of required reading."

I just recently saw the movie and as much as I dislike reading the book after already seeing the movie I think it's worth it. The movie alone really stirred up some thoughts and feelings so I'm excited to see what the book as in store for me.

message 13: by Lila, The Cat Lady (new)

Forever Marked A Dermatillomania Diary by Angela Hartlin

message 14: by Kyra (new)

message 15: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (lady_cherish) | 45 comments Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey
A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson Why Men Love Bitches From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship by Sherry Argov My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon by P.N. Elrod

for starters.
Yep, ADD ;)

message 16: by Lila, The Cat Lady (last edited Aug 29, 2013 11:32PM) (new)

Cherish wrote: "for starters.
Yep, ADD ;)"

That's the best way to read. ;)

message 17: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (lady_cherish) | 45 comments Lila wrote: "That's the best way to read. ;)"

Indeed. I'll never get bored that way ;)

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I loved Kushiel's Dart. I read that for the Vaginal Fantasy group and really enjoyed the Hangout and discussions done over there. I want to read the next couple in the series, but haven't been able to get to them. I will say that I absolutely despised the beginning of the book because it moved slow and I didn't like the situations the kids were put in.

message 19: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

At moment I am trying to finish up Year of Wonders so I can get to reading something I like better.

message 20: by Amber, The Founder (new)

I'm trying to pace myself but have a lot on my shelf right now.

Currently, trying to finish The Theory of Everything by Kari Luna .

Then, on to Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell for our October group read.

Next, hope to steam roll through Highlander Betrayed (Guardians of the Targe, #1) by Laurin Wittig , Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford , Bankrupting Physics How Today's Top Scientists are Gambling Away Their Credibility by Alexander Unzicker & Growth (Isle of the Four Kingdoms, #6) by B.A. Beers (all of which were winnings from GR).

message 21: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Adding another first reads win to the lot: The Walking Dead Rise of the Governor (The Governor Trilogy #1) by Robert Kirkman .

Excited about this one!

message 22: by Jolene (new)

Jolene (jolene_wsm) | 19 comments How.... do u find the time to read... i am so jealous.. I am still stuck with The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and The Psychopath Test A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson and A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin :(

message 23: by Lila, The Cat Lady (new)

There are a lot of people who I am in awe of, for the reading time they find; for me reading is study breaks and the occasional tram ride.

I'm currently finishing Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters , and reading The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1) by Samantha Shannon + Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning + trying to bring myself to keep going with Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1) by Zoe Archer . Also, On Resilience by Elisabeth Wynhausen is on the cards

message 24: by Amber, The Founder (new)

I also won The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black from Hello Giggles.

My list just keeps getting longer...

message 25: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

What Alice Forgot. It's pretty darn good!

message 26: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments I'm currently reading Sense and Sensibility. I'm not sure what I feel about the book...my feelings are torn.

message 27: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments Montana wrote: "I'm currently reading A Fault in our Stars by John Green and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens!"

Love A Fault in our Stars! Just love, love, loveeee that book!

message 28: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Sue wrote: "I'm currently reading Sense and Sensibility. I'm not sure what I feel about the book...my feelings are torn."

I wasn't crazy about S&S. Have you read any of Austen's other books?

message 29: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments amber wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'm currently reading Sense and Sensibility. I'm not sure what I feel about the book...my feelings are torn."

I wasn't crazy about S&S. Have you read any of Austen's other books?"

I have read Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Northanger Abbey. I didn't like Persuasion, so I couldn't finish it (a lot of people seem to like it). Have you read any other Jane Austen book's?

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I also loved A Fault in our Stars. It actually made me become really connected to the characters in a way that I haven't connected with books in a long while.

message 31: by Amber, The Founder (new)

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is on my to-read shelf. I'm sure I'll get to it soon!

message 32: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments Montana wrote: "Sue wrote: "Montana wrote: "I'm currently reading A Fault in our Stars by John Green and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens!"

Love A Fault in our Stars! Just love, love, loveeee that book!"
A..."

I remember thinking how awesome it would be if they made it into a movie....and then I heard they were making it into a movie. I sort of "fangirled" all over it hahaha.

message 33: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments Amber wrote: "The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is on my to-read shelf. I'm sure I'll get to it soon!"

Yes!! When you do please tell me what you think of it!!

message 34: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments Montana wrote: "Sue wrote: "Montana wrote: "Sue wrote: "Montana wrote: "I'm currently reading A Fault in our Stars by John Green and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens!"

Love A Fault in our Stars! Just love,..."

Ahhh you didn't know?? I was sceptical about it too but the way John Green has been gushing about it makes me think it will be fine. But then again you never know with these books being turned into movies thing. It's all about luck, I think?

message 35: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments Melissa wrote: "I also loved A Fault in our Stars. It actually made me become really connected to the characters in a way that I haven't connected with books in a long while."

Yes!! I agree!!

message 36: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Sue wrote: "amber wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'm currently reading Sense and Sensibility. I'm not sure what I feel about the book...my feelings are torn."

I wasn't crazy about S&S. Have you read any of Austen's othe..."

I'm about a third of the way into Pride and Prejudice. I really like it. Which I admit might just be because the writing style is more like what I had in my head that Austen's books would be like. At the moment my plan is to read each of her books during the year of their 200th anniversary. So Mansfield Park next year then Emma and so on.

message 37: by Jolene (new)

Jolene (jolene_wsm) | 19 comments amber wrote: "Sue wrote: "amber wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'm currently reading Sense and Sensibility. I'm not sure what I feel about the book...my feelings are torn."

I wasn't crazy about S&S. Have you read any of A..."

Wow... just last weekend i was in Bath, UK. There is a Jane Austen Centre there (Now I wished I had gone)

message 38: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Jolene wrote: "amber wrote: "Sue wrote: "amber wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'm currently reading Sense and Sensibility. I'm not sure what I feel about the book...my feelings are torn."

I wasn't crazy about S&S. Have you..."

Hopefully you enjoyed whatever you did instead. :)

message 39: by Jolene (new)

Jolene (jolene_wsm) | 19 comments amber wrote: "Hopefully you enjoyed whatever you did instead. :)"

It rained...... cats and dogs.... :(

message 40: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Oh, Well that's to bad. :(
I like rain, but it's not good vacation weather.

message 41: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments Jolene wrote: "amber wrote: "Sue wrote: "amber wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'm currently reading Sense and Sensibility. I'm not sure what I feel about the book...my feelings are torn."

I wasn't crazy about S&S. Have you..."

Maybe next time you visit there you can go :] I haven't been either and would really like to...one day!

message 42: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Beck Kalnasy (kaylabeck) | 33 comments I'm reading Aunty Lee's Delights A Singaporean Mystery by Ovidia Yu right now, and it's a lot of fun. :-)

message 43: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Kayla wrote: "I'm reading Aunty Lee's Delights A Singaporean Mystery by Ovidia Yu right now, and it's a lot of fun. :-)"

I saw the ad for that one & read the description but didn't shelve it. So, it's good?

message 44: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Beck Kalnasy (kaylabeck) | 33 comments It's not something that I normally read, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'll read a mystery once or twice a year MAYBE.

It teaches a lot (well, for me it's a lot) about Singapore, and Aunty Lee is a great character. Plus, little to no gore (so far) is always a plus. Well, in mysteries anyway. I take gore in sci-fi/fantasy and horror. :-)

message 45: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments I'm really struggling with finishing sense and sensibility. It hasn't really caught my attention. Anyone else struggle with reading it?

message 46: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Kayla wrote: "It's not something that I normally read, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'll read a mystery once or twice a year MAYBE.

It teaches a lot (well, for me it's a lot) about Singapore, and Aunty Lee is a g..."

Interesting. I might just check it out, then.

message 47: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Sue wrote: "I'm really struggling with finishing sense and sensibility. It hasn't really caught my attention. Anyone else struggle with reading it?"

I haven't read it in a very long time. I probably haven't re-read it as I pretty much agree with you. Sometimes reading the classics is hard work!

message 48: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments Amber wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'm really struggling with finishing sense and sensibility. It hasn't really caught my attention. Anyone else struggle with reading it?"

I haven't read it in a very long time. I probab..."

The plot and the character's just aren't clicking for me while the other's did (with the exception of Persuasion, which I didn't seem to like so much either, and Mayfield Park which I haven't read yet.) Gah! Really struggling to find a new book to read. I am also in the middle of reading a weekend with Mr.Darcy but it's getting a bit too predictable for my taste. I went to see if I could find fangirl but they were out of stock!

Any suggestions for books?

message 49: by Amber, The Founder (new)

What kind of read are you in the mood for?

message 50: by Sudocream (last edited Sep 24, 2013 01:09PM) (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments Amber wrote: "What kind of read are you in the mood for?"

I think an easy quick read. Something romantic?

« previous 1 3 4 5