Start by marking “You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)” as Want to Read:
You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  36,436 Ratings  ·  5,143 Reviews
From online entertainment mogul, actress, and “queen of the geeks” Felicia Day, a funny, quirky, and inspiring memoir about her unusual upbringing, her rise to Internet-stardom, and embracing her individuality to find success in Hollywood.

The Internet isn’t all cat videos. There’s also Felicia Day—violinist, filmmaker, Internet entrepreneur, compulsive gamer, hoagie specia
Published August 11th 2015 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about You're Never Weird on the Internet, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Wreade1872 No, amazingly not every woman with short hair or who plays video games is gay.
Tajanator I'd like to add that this is not her first book. She also wrote the Guild comic and produced, directed, starred, & wrote The Guild TV show. She…moreI'd like to add that this is not her first book. She also wrote the Guild comic and produced, directed, starred, & wrote The Guild TV show. She also owns an internet production company called Geek & Sundry, and if you like reading girly books, she runs the book club (and goodreads group) called Vaginal Fantasy.

Although I love her on Supernatural, she is much more than just the geeky cute girl. :)(less)

Patrick
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing

A couple months ago, a little bird on the internet let me know that Felicia Day was writing a memoir.

And honestly? I didn't know how to feel about that.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy for her. I love books, and it makes me happy when one of my friends is writing one. It makes me even happier when one of their books is getting published. It's like they're getting to have a baby but with only a fraction of the nausea and weight gain.

What's more, I'm a fan of Felicia's. She's done a lot of work t
Ashley
Updated September 11, 2015: Before I get too far into this review, I just want to state, for the record, Felicia Day has said that she does not really like being dubbed ‘The Queen of the Internet’ or ‘The Queen of the Geeks’ or whatever crown we the people want to bestow upon her, but the fact that she comes unwillingly to power only makes her more worthy, honestly. I do feel a bit bad about potentially making her feel more anxious over this responsibility we’ve all thrust on her, but she’s so a ...more
Jacqueline Carey
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A funny, honest, and surprisingly brave book. As many reviewers have noted, Felicia Day doesn’t shy away from candid discussion of issues like anxiety and the extreme amount of pressure she puts on herself at times, which I think can be tremendously inspirational for readers dealing with the same issues in their daily lives. What resonated for me was her journey from a math and violin prodigy to actress and Internet pioneer. This isn’t a point she made explicitly, but it takes a tremendous amoun ...more
Khadidja
i don't read "autobiography" a lot but this book was recommended to me and i don't regret reading it :D ! GOOD JOB queen of the geeks :) , i've known Felicia day for her role "Charlie" in the Supernatural TV show :D i loved her ever since , she is funny,Cute , Nerd she got the whole package

Rebecca
Actual Rating: 3.5

Read this review and more on my blog

In a nutshell: A fun memoir about growing up, internet fame, anxiety and nerdiness!

I've been into biographies/memoirs lately and I thought that reading this one would be a good opportunity to inspire myself to finally get into more Felicia Day-related things. As my dad said when I picked this up, "well you do share the same surname and you're both on the internet." I feel like I know a lot of her from Tumblr and by reading her Goodreads revi
Diane
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reading this book confirmed my suspicion that Felicia Day is a manic pixie dream girl. But I mean that as a compliment.

Felicia is funny and clever and a little weird. So it makes sense that her memoir is also funny and clever and a little weird.

Felicia writes about her unusual childhood, how she was homeschooled and was an early adopter of the Internet and role-playing games, that she was a violin prodigy and started going to college when she was only 16, and about her acting career.

My favorite
Megan
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LIST OF V. IMPORTANT DEMANDS FOR THE FELICIA DAY MEMOIR:

1. More pre-teen Felicia Day game poetry.
2. A section on that time Felicia Day took "sexy" photos to send to boys she met on the internet.
3. Those photos included.

PLS N THX.
______________________

UPDATE: Hey, everything I wanted was in the book! Glad I choose audio too, it was great hearing the stories from her own voice.
madamereadsalot
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So this was the first memoir I enjoyed from beginning to end. (Normally I get bored at one point or another) but Felicia's story really made me laugh a lot, her narrating (I listened to the audiobook alongside the physical copy) is really pleasant to listen to ( I can't with audiobooks where the narrator has a squeaky or scratchy voice... I just have troubles following what they are saying, so eventually... If they haven't got a good narrating voice... I'll stop listening) and most important of ...more
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't really know who Felicia Day was before reading this. Vague things like, she was on Supernatural and did internet stuff. I've seen her in gifs posted and she's so darn cute and seems sweet and funny, so I read this.

It reads mostly like an average memoir. I am not a "gamer," but was still able to keep up with the lingo and slang and stuff. Her background was interesting and I could relate to the discussions of her depression and anxiety. There were some inspirational parts. She comes off
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
Excruciatingly honest memoir from Felicia Day about her quirky childhood, gaming addiction, cultural attitudes online, and life long struggle with anxiety and other mental health issues. She reminded me a great deal of Jenny Lawson in her straight forward presentation of difficult topics and also in her exuberant storytelling style. And, in many other ways, she reminded me of myself.

Being a female gamer is hard. There, I've said it. Not only do your female friends not want to play video games wi
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

Do you know Felicia Day? If so, where do you know her from? Personally, I am a crazy Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan since the age of 11, so I always knew her as that potential slayer in season 7. Other people may know her from the tv shows Eureka and Supernatural, or for her own show The Guild.

So as I have mentioned in other reviews, I made a New Year's Resolution to read more types of books and genres other than romance this year (as I used to read ALL genres at one point). So while I w
Sanaa
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
[5 Stars} How can I put a rating on Felicia Day writing about her life? Answer: I can't. This was always going to be a five star book, and seriously it did not disappoint. It made me emotional and was simultaneously so freaking inspirational. I loved it, particularly Felicia Day's narration. Seriously, listen to this!
Celise
This deserves a well written review so I’ll try my best. I’m still shaking from meeting Felicia a few hours ago.

Normally when you read something funny in public you laugh or awkwardly snort every few pages, but I was commuting on the streetcar when I started reading this and I was laughing so hard I had to take breaks. After getting the third side eye look from the person occupying the seat next to me I finally just had to say “Get the book and you’d understand.” Then it was awkward but my stop
Stefanie Kellum
Dear Felicia Day,

I too am a Southern Lady with Mississippi roots who loves logic puzzles and wants to marry a man with glasses and a dreamy accent. Can we be friends? Check yes or no.

_____Yes

_____No

_____Maybe?

OK...on to the real review. I've been a fan of Felicia Day since her Buffy and Dr. Horrible days, and I ADORE Charlie Bradbury on Supernatural (view spoiler), so my expectations for this were fai
Sam Quixote
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Felicia Day is an internet personality who made her name a few years ago writing/producing/starring in a Youtube show called The Guild, a comedy about nerds obsessed with a World of Warcraft-type game. She’s appeared in several mainstream shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Eureka and Supernatural in supporting roles but it’s her online video channel, Geek and Sundry, for which she’s best known.

Her first book, You’re Never Weird on the Internet (Almost), is a memoir of her short life centred a
Jenny (Reading Envy)
A review copy of this was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I needed a lighter read after a few heavy books so this popped out at me.

Felicia Day and I were born one year and two days apart. I remember the early days of the World Wide Web but Felicia remembers the early days of the entire internet. She's the real deal, a true geek.

I first knew of Felicia Day because of the viral video, Do You Want to Date My Avatar? which led me to watching The Guild. I couldn't id
Malia
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
I read this book purely on the merit of its good reviews, not knowing who Felicia Day was or really what the book would be about. I really tend to avoid non-fiction, but occasionally delve into the genre when I spot a good cover, title or an intriguing premise for a memoir.
While, at times, I felt Day was whacking me over the head with her perpetual insistence that she is nerdy and quirky and unique, I did feel that she meant well. I don't play video games and never watched her online series, so
Brendon Schrodinger
Felicia is a wonderful person.

I've only got to know her work over the last couple of years, I didn't find "The Guild" as I was never a MMORPG fan. I only found out about Felicia from "Tabletop", which lead me to watching a greater amount of Geek and Sundry and becoming a supporter of everything they do. Felicia is always funny and charming in an awkward way - just like all of us geeks. I do enjoy Co-Optitude where she plays games with her brother, Ryon. So I guess I'm not a hardcore fan at all.
Jenny
I had heard about Felicia Day,but didn't knew much about her before I started reading this book. I wasn't sure how it would turn out because I always find memoirs weird;that's the reason I hadn't read any memoir before this one.

But then I came across this book,and the first thing I noticed was the title and cover.The book was also nominated for best Humor,and that's what I was looking for;a light and funny read.So yes,I was intrigued because it was based on Felicia's journey of her career which
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oh, look what I found on Edelweiss.

Edit: And now it's on NetGalley also! :)

description
destiny ☠ howling libraries
I'm not usually very fond of memoirs, but as a geek girl who loves Felicia Day, I had to check this one out, and it didn't disappoint. I related hard in places (weird homeschool kids unite!) and laughed or "aww"ed in others. I love her candid voice and her refusal to hold back, even when it came to touchier topics like GamerGate. If you like her work at all, I would absolutely recommend this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go rewatch The Guild.
Daniella
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You'll like this if you're any of the following:
-female
-love WoW/gaming
-an honor student
-a band/orchestra geek
-have anxiety or depression
-like 90s throwbacks
-frequent the Internet
-tired of memoirs with crappy writing
Elena
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one. Do not recommend. Ableist trash.
Speaking as an Ultima Dragon (November 21, 1993-present -- we still exist), I read this book because, well, I am an Ultima Dragon. Also, The Guild is pretty great. It was a show about "my people." I loved it for the most part. I read this to see how the discussion of the Dragons was in the book.

I was not really expecting the ableism, especially considering that Felicia Day worked with Teal Sherer on The Guild. But in the first few pages was a joke about my exact disability, which Felicia calls "
Kiri Fiona
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars…

I can't recommend this highly enough. I really think it should be recommended reading in high school, too.

What I loved:
- Felicia Day has a very relaxed, candid writing style that actually sounds like the way she talks. I enjoyed how open and funny this book was.
- I liked her honesty in talking about anxiety and mental health issues. While I don't actually know about those things, I can see that reading this would be helpful for people who do.
- I think if more young kids could gain insight into people like Fe
Mike (the Paladin)
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, humor
So...internet fans, SyFy channel fans, The Guild fans...lots of people here you go. "Ms. Day" has opened up her life to your prying and probably jaundiced eyes. She's had her ups and downs and brought smiles to many of her followers, readers, viewers etc.

By the way...Hi Felicia, she's one of our members here and actually comments on books. We've exchanged comments in the past about a few books.

Look this doesn't require a long review. Ms. Day has a wonderful and quirky sense of humor and tells h
Crystal Starr Light
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pre-Review:

And guess what?! She's coming to my area in less than TWO WEEKS!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Bullet Review:

Minus the beginning where she talks about her homeschool life (which was hard for me to read based on my much much more secluded and restricted homeschool experience that, yes, made me very jealous of Day), I rather enjoyed this.

Basically if you wanna know my internal thought process, read this book. I am CONSTANTLY second guessing EVERY interaction and spend more time making sure I leave a
Erica
Weird.
And, look! We're on the internet so this falls into that (almost) category.

So here's the thing. Several things, actually, that will help display my inability to math which would probably make Ms. Day sad, as she can math with the best of them.

1) Felicia Day was born the same year as my youngest sister. She also has the same mouth-shape as my youngest sister. Shut up, it makes sense to me, ok? Ergo, Felicia Day reminds me of my youngest sister and my youngest sister often annoys the hell ou
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Cute and witty, Felicia Day’s biography was a fun read. She chronicles her life from childhood to current time, focusing mainly on hobbies and the things she thinks makes her ‘different.’

I enjoyed her acceptance of people of all hobbies and interests and the promotion of being yourself. It’s not all false hope since she mentions the very real problems of anxiety, depression, discouragement, and not being accepted – but this in turn makes the impact of the message being more impactual.

Written in
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
This was absolutely fantastic. And Felicia read it to me! I loved her stint on Supernatural and am especially glad I read this because it told me a whole slew of things I didn't know before picking it up. Things like Felicia's obsession with WOW and gaming in general, which led to the Guild, and then trying to juggle real live vs conventions and dealing with anxiety attacks on top of it... This woman is my hero.
Char
3.5 stars!

This was an audio book that I downloaded from my local library and it was a lot of fun!

This is not my usual fare. I do listen to audios and I do enjoy autobiographies, but usually they are about politicians, actors, writers or other people that I'm actually familiar with. I have no idea who the hell Felicia Day is, even now, but I enjoyed this book just the same.

She's an interesting and strong woman, with degrees in both violin and in math, so she's a smart woman as well. Armed with bo
  • Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise
  • Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It
  • The Only Pirate at the Party
  • Life's That Way
  • The Geek Feminist Revolution
  • The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks
  • The Nerdist Way: How to Reach the Next Level (In Real Life)
  • Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding the Shatnerverse and the World at Large
  • Sex and the Slayer: A Gender Studies Primer for the Buffy Fan
  • The Art of Neil Gaiman
  • Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir
  • Yes, My Accent Is Real: and Some Other Things I Haven't Told You
  • Press Start to Play
Actress, New Media Geek, Gamer, Misanthrope. Voracious reader of Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Felicia is the creator of The Guild and former CCO of Geek and Sundry, an online content company. She has a podcast called "Felicitations" that can be found on iTunes, and is the author of her bestselling memoir "You're Never Weird on the (Internet) Almost".
She currently acts on TV shows and produces and writes he
More about Felicia Day

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Penguin Lessons
    $12.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $1.99
“It’s hard being weird. No—it’s hard living in a culture that makes it hard.” 183 likes
“Knowing yourself is life's eternal homework” 100 likes