Start by marking “The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)

The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  44,242 Ratings  ·  4,039 Reviews
Quentin Coldwater has been cast out of Fillory, the secret magical land of his childhood dreams. With nothing left to lose, he returns to where his story began, the Brakebills Preparatory College of Magic, but he can’t hide from his past, and it’s not long before it comes looking for him.

Along with Plum, a brilliant young undergraduate with a dark secret of her own, Quenti
Published August 5th 2014 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Land, please sign up.

Toshi To me it all comes down the the main character's progression as a person. I hated him in the first book, warmed a little in the second, but really…moreTo me it all comes down the the main character's progression as a person. I hated him in the first book, warmed a little in the second, but really liked him in the third. It made riding around in his head for the duration of the story way more pleasant.(less)
Alyisha "All the Birds in the Sky" by Charlie Jane Anders. Anything by Neil Gaiman, especially "American Gods" and "The Ocean at the End of the Lane."

If…more

If you're prepared to read something dark and upsetting, pick up "The Library at Mount Char" by Scott Hawkins.

For short stories, try Kelly Link - especially her collections entitled "Stranger Things Happen" and "Pretty Monsters."

And if anyone finds anything else, let me know! Always desperate for Magicians read-alikes!(less)

Dan Schwent
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Sean Gibson
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Warning: spoilers to follow!

Perplexed. That’s how this series left me. I’m still not really sure what to make of it. Don’t get me wrong—the ultimate impression is a positive one. But, not unlike clichéd and stupid Facebook statuses, it’s complicated.

The Magicians left me depressed and flummoxed, but intrigued. It was the other side of the Harry Potter/Charlie Bucket coin—kid gets golden ticket, only golden ticket turns out to royally screw up one’s psyche. It was the Watchmen spin on the tried-
Anne
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Warning: Mild (ish) spoilers for the first 2 books

I like the way Grossman tells stories. I mean, none of the books in this trilogy are told in the same way, which just gave it a little extra sumpin-sumpin, in my opinion.
In the first one, everything plods along in this somewhat linear way with Quentin first discovering magic is real, moving through his education at the magical Brakebills, then finding out Fillory is real, which leads to losing everything and giving up magic, and finally (in a cli
Madeline
May 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
mark monday
so I'll just get this out of the way: the almost entirely shitty and stupid SyFy network adaptation of this series has certainly made me better appreciate Grossman's mastery of storytelling and the uniqueness of his vision. ugh, that show. it is doing everything wrong! except for those two short scenes featuring the Beast.

ANYWAY

I think what often gets ignored in the rush to discuss Grossman's snarky repositioning of Harry Potter and Narnia-esque tropes and images into a poison pen letter sent fr
Jeffrey Keeten
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”Eliot felt very small and Fillory felt for a change, very big and very wild around him. It was a while since it had felt like that. This was a serious quest, maybe the last one. What happened now truly mattered. Eliot had struggled before he found Fillory, he knew that: he drank too much, he found clever ways to be nasty to people, he never seemed to have an emotion that wasn’t either ironic or chemically generated. He’d changed in Fillory, and the thought of going back to that, of becoming tha ...more
seak
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review, 2014
Growing up, we didn't have lots of money and my dad took off with most of what we did have anyway, but I was always told to do well in school, so I did. I was told, "go to college," so I did. (In fact, it was more assumed than outright spoken to be honest). Once I'd made the mistake of majoring in social science (Economics!), the only solution was more school!

So I went on to law school.

After three miserable years in a system that only rewards the "top 10", I graduated ...

And then what? Then the
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
What an excellent conclusion to a fabulous series!!

There is so much to appreciate here across all three books. This final installment came out a nose head of the others because the conclusion was lovely & terrible & extremely fitting.

It's so weird to me that I actually came to love & appreciate all of these characters to this extent. They are irresistible in their own defective sort of way.

To put it frankly, they're a bunch of elitist asshats, flawed to the bone, and it's arguable th
Kemper
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic, favorites, 2014
For being a genre-fusing deconstruction of the fantasy novel, this sure had me on the edge on my seat.

It all started with teenage Quentin Coldwater attending a magical school, finding out the fantasy land from his favorite novels was real and then journeying there. Following various quests and a whole lotta heartbreak, Quentin is back in the real world and gives himself a very personal mission to complete even while his friends back in Fillory learn that the end of that world is very nigh.

Quenti
Terry
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book was totally not bad. I really enjoyed some parts of this book. Some of the things Grossman was trying to do really came together in this book. There. Did I damn it enough with faint praise? I’m sorry. Kinda. I just really wanted this to be something…else? More? I dunno. I just think Grossman didn’t really deliver what I wanted…though I am totally willing to admit that I am perhaps holding him to unfair expectations. I guess I just wanted a little more bang than whimper in my conclusion ...more
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, witch-wizard
This book was really in two parts. The first being a heist plot to recover a briefcase with mysterious contents.

The second is about the death of the magical land, Fillory.

Plot-wise and writing, I really enjoyed this novel. The author has a way of balancing tongue in cheek humor with introspection. You can tell he really thought about the engine of how magic worked in his novels, often borrowing from quantum physics for explanations. But that's only how it works on Earth; in Fillory it's all up f
Choko
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the Wednesday UF group...

"..."“It didn’t matter where you were, if you were in a room full of books you were at least halfway home.” ..."

Isn't that the truth!!! If I ever feel uncomfortable in a strange place, as long as I see books around I know I will be OK:):):)

If one thing is true about this series it is that the writing is flawless! Nothing is to much or to little. The characters are exactly as the author intended for us to perceive them. Their actions are even
Elizabeth
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A combination of literary fiction's intelligence, high fantasy's epic plots, and pop culture's sly humour and insouciance this book perfectly finishes off what has been, for me, one of the most satisfying and clever series of recent years. It's taken a far more realistic look at the likely outcomes of people being gifted with ridiculous magical powers, of what that horrible moment when you finish university and are suddenly expected to be a fully functioning member of society would be like if yo ...more
Maxwell
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015
I don't think I have read a series that has as much character development as in The Magicians trilogy. It was such a pleasure going on this journey with Quentin and his friends through these three books. Seeing Quentin grow up in these three books has come at the perfect time in my life. The themes of this book, and its predecessors, are so relevant to my life. Thank you, Lev Grossman, for writing something that resonates so deeply with people who grew up in books, in fantasy worlds, and are off ...more
Tegan (The Rowdy Librarian)
Not gonna lie...this is how I feel about this novel:

12/8/13: I keep looking at this hoping for a definite release date. Alas, nothing yet. But I'll keep on keeping on until then...Now I'm taunted with a cover.

1/9/14: August 5th, 2014 ladies and gentlemen!!! Great early birthday present! Only 7 more months...And we get a summary! Great belated Christmas present :)

8/2/14: AMAZING!!! Review to come ASAP!

10/10/14: Finally, full review is here! Also published at The Founding Fields!

Lady Salvatore got
Brad
Strangely enough, I worked through all of my reservations from the previous two books, having liked the first book well enough, and on reflection liking the second one much less, I discovered that passing the hump of the heist in the third allowed me to finally relax into the story after finally realizing that Quentin wasn't going to remain a douchebag forever.

The heist was fine, as far as that went, and his just going along with everything and sliding along with his life was par for course. It
Lightreads
Well that was . . . disappointing. Which is a funny thing to say about a book written as well as this one, and that made me as happy as this one did at certain points (really, I would read hundreds of pages about the magic in this universe and how it works and doesn't, no plot required).

The thing is, this book doubled down. The series as a whole has been playing with coming of age narratives and coming into power narratives, trying out different ones, contrasting them, complicating them. And the
Warwick
Lev Grossman has said he thinks writers should read their reviews and should take their criticism seriously. I thought that was quite an unusual and telling comment; I kept thinking about it, because the first book in this trilogy did get a lot of criticism about its sexual politics, some of it deserved (the character arcs) and some not (Quentin's teenage personality). Now the concluding instalment completes a process begun in book two of overturning these problems in what looks to me like quite ...more
Ashley
"He'd been right about the world, but he was wrong about himself. The world was a desert, but he was a magician, and to be a magician was to be a secret spring - a moving oasis. He wasn't desolate, and he wasn't empty. He was full of emotion, full of feelings, bursting with them, and when it came down to it, that's what being a magician was. They weren't ordinary feelings - they weren't the tame, domesticated kind. Magic was wild feelings, the kind that escaped out of you and into the world and
Caroline
***NO SPOILERS***

Grossman's third and final installment in The Magicians trilogy brings back all the beloved key players from the previous books, plus a few new ones, but probably won't enthrall fans quite as much as they're expecting. The Magician's Land focuses on a thirty-something Quentin Coldwater on a quest to solve a complex mystery with the help of a precocious Brakebills student. Whereas book one focuses primarily on magical school Brakebills and book two on magical land Fillory, this t
Rob
Executive Summary: An excellent, but not perfect end to what ended up being a rather enjoyable series. Just a few minor complaints keep me from giving it a 5 star rating. 4.5 stars.

Audio book: Mark Bramhall again does an excellent job that makes this a series I think is best done in audio. I will have to be on the lookout for other books he reads for in the future.

Full Review
This book almost made it to the end to secure one of my rare 5-star ratings. I always hated to stop listening, and found
Michelle M
First read: 2014: Exiled from Fillory, Quentin finds himself searching for purpose.

We see a much more mature Quentin here, one who has definitely come into his own. He's not the only one, Elliot and Janet are fierce defenders of Fillory, realizing their dedication and determination to protect their world once it is threatened, first by invaders and then by news of imminent total destruction. Truly exciting to see the maturation.

The message of disillusionment in childish things, of putting your
Kenchiin
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure if Lev was trying to deconstruct the fantasy genre or life itself, but he accomplished to do both.
Samantha
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-books
Where to start with this one? So many mixed emotions! After reading the first novel in Grossman's trilogy, The Magicians, I was hooked. Angsty, adult wizard school? Totally into it. However, after struggling through the hot mess that was the series' second book (I literally just made the "ugh" face thinking about it), I was cautious about getting too excited for the third and final part of The Magician's trilogy.

Needless to say, my expectations were met but not totally exceeded. Grossman does a
Doug Bradshaw
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed Narnia and Harry Potter and you have little bit of religious background, a Torah here and a Bible there, you may have as much fun as I did with this twisted and modern version of those two series. It’s all there, magic, talking animals, angry Gods, war, fantastic journeys to faraway lands, sometimes being transformed into geese or even whales, with normal humans, sometimes kids, placed into high positions in these lands, even as kings and queens.

It’s amazing that such nonsense ca
Vita
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Magicians trilogy means a lot to me. It's a complex coming of age story that I can identify with so much that it hurts sometimes. I want to say that the trilogy came to me during a difficult time in my life, but really it came at a time when the difficult part had been and gone, and I was left reluctant to find out what happened next. The theme of the Magicians trilogy fits so beautifully with that empty and exciting feeling that it became a part of my grieving process, and continues to be n ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/08/05/b...

I practically binge read this series, which is unusual for me. But truly, it is a rare pleasure indeed when subsequent books in a series just get better and better. I’ve had such a change of heart about this trilogy from the first book to the last book, that I am actually floored with amazement. I certainly don’t take back my thoughts in my review of The Magicians – I liked the book but I also had some very real issues w
Danny
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I ended up really loving this conclusion to the trilogy, especially after not enjoying the sequel that much.

I really loved getting to see more about the Chatwin kids and their story, as well as the creation of Fillory.

Thing got real cray near the end and I felt like it all wrapped up nicely :)
Monica
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This review was originally posted on Avid Reviews: www.avidfantasyreviews.wordpress.com

Grossman’s Magicians trilogy is far different than any other work of modern fantasy I have come across. Grossman’s novels are an intellectual journey into the disillusionment that occurs during the journey to adulthood, and much of the fantasy elements of his novels occur simply to help prove this point to the reader. The first book in particular has a very depressing tone, and is incredibly anticlimactic in c
Kaora
Jul 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
I started this book off and was actually enjoying it. My complaints with the last two books were with the characters. They were incredibly selfish. It didn't matter how they were brought up, with screwed up parents, or normal parents they were all damaged and only acted in their own self interest.

It initially seemed that Quentin was starting to grow up. The action was good as well at the start of the book- much like a Harry Potter and Italian Job mix.

However as the book progressed Quentin fell i
  • Two Serpents Rise (Craft Sequence, #2)
  • The Philosopher Kings (Thessaly, #2)
  • The Rising (The Alchemy Wars, #2)
  • The Kingdom of Gods (Inheritance, #3)
  • Steles of the Sky (Eternal Sky, #3)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • City of Blades (The Divine Cities, #2)
  • The Grace of Kings (The Dandelion Dynasty, #1)
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • A Tree of Bones (Hexslinger, #3)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3)
  • The Brothers Cabal (Johannes Cabal, #4)
  • The Unwritten: Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • Half the World (Shattered Sea, #2)
  • Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
My novel The Magicians was a New York Times bestseller. So was the sequel, The Magician King. The third book in the trilogy, The Magician's Land, will be published in August 2014.

There's yet more information about me and my books on my website.
More about Lev Grossman...

The Magicians, (3 books)
  • The Magicians (The Magicians #1)
  • The Magician King (The Magicians, #2)

“It didn’t matter where you were, if you were in a room full of books you were at least halfway home.” 214 likes
“...In books there's always somebody standing by ready to say hey, the world's in danger, evil's on the rise, but if you're really quick and take this ring and put it in that volcano over there everything will be fine.

"But in real life that guy never turns up. He's never there. He's busy handing out advice in the next universe over. In our world no one ever knows what to do, and everyone's just as clueless and full of crap as everyone else, and you have to figure it all out by yourself. And even after you've figured it out and done it, you'll never know whether you were right or wrong. You'll never know if you put the ring in the right volcano, or if things might have gone better if you hadn't. There's no answers in the back of the book.”
66 likes