The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
POLL: What should we read in July?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1139 comments Mod
Your time to shine. VOTE people!

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/85...

message 2: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
I voted.

message 3: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Hansen (malazanshadowdancer) | 64 comments When I voted, the names were written twice, but it might have been my browser playing tricks on me.
Anyway, voted!

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments Yeah I had the same issue as Camilla but who knows if it was me or GR or both. :D

I voted. Depending on the outcome of the poll, this month may really try my resolve to read every S&L pick this year. I've already read 2 (and hated one of those) and have less than zero interest in two others. We shall see!

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6668 comments Mod
I'd be OK with any of them I think. I don't really know much about some of the titles.

message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments I think it's a solid list. There's a lot of stuff on there I've been meaning to read and I loved the only book on there that I've read (Red Shirts).

Not too sure what to think of the Dr. Who as I haven't watched any of the TV shows. I'd still try it out though.

message 7: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I had to go with the Doctor Who book. It's just intriguing.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 124 comments torn between Doctor Who and Redshirts...who to vote for? They're both going to be great...

message 9: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

I added the typed name along with the embed because on some mobile version sof the site the embeds don't show.

message 10: by Sandi (last edited Jun 03, 2013 09:15PM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I had to go for Doctor Who. It's about Doctor Who and it's by Alastair Reynolds. What could go wrong? I'm good with any of the choices except Red Shirts. We've already discussed that book even if it wasn't an official read.

message 11: by Rodrigo (new)

Rodrigo (morcego) | 188 comments Already read 3 of the books on the list, so I ended up voting for Pandora's Star, simply because it is Peter F. Hamilton.

The ones I've read are Redshirts (loved it), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (liked it very much, read a long time ago) and Ringworld (lived very much, but didn't like the rest of the series at all).

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1840 comments Voted for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? but only because it has been on my mental 'to read' list for such a long time, longer than any of the others, several of which are also on that list. But they all look great; I'd be very happy with whatever got selected. :D

message 13: by D. H. (new)

D. H. | 100 comments I had to change my vote because I realized Ringworld isn't available on Kindle in Japan.

message 14: by Matthew Anderson (new)

Matthew Anderson | 60 comments Snow Crash.

message 15: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I just noticed this is in general and NOT stickied.

One of the Mods should probably fix that at least while the poll is running so people see it and vote.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments I read a Doctor Who novel once and it was so bad I've never wanted to read another again. I voted for Ringworld as I've been meaning to read it for a long time.

message 17: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 463 comments I had to go with Doctor Who, but would really be fine with any of them.

Redshirts is a fun read. Even though I've already read it, if it was picked I might get the audible book just so I could listen to Wil Wheaton read it.

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert H (chiroho) | 25 comments I'd already read Redshirts, which was great, and Snow Crash, which was also great. Stopped reading Ringworld as I just couldn't get into it, and I haven't enjoyed other books by Niven. Ended up going for the Doctor Who book by Alastair Reynolds because his other books are great, and I'm very interested to see his take on Doctor Who.

Interestingly, the Reynolds book is only being released today on Kindle and tomorrow in paperback, and is a Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) story.

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 666 comments The Sparrow has been on my list for a long time; it's supposed to be excellent.

message 20: by Anthea (new)

Anthea Sharp | 11 comments Ooh, Wil Wheaton reads Redshirts? Another reason for me to vote for it. :)

Just finished Snow Crash (finally) and though groundbreaking at the time, I'm not sure it holds up so well, now.

The Sparrow has been on my TBR forever.

Would love to re-visit Ringworld! It's been a while. (cough*decades*)

message 21: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5995 comments I voted for Pandora's Star, although I've already read it. Note that it's only half the story, like Hyperion, but it's very good.

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I have to say, Redshirts was fun stuff but I wouldn't listen to it in audio. It's almost all conversation between several people and I was ready to hunt down Wil and smack him for saying "He said," and "she said," so many times. The word "said" must be in that story about a million times and you really notice it when listening.

message 23: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I was going to choose Pandora's Star but went for Snow Crash. Sounds interesting and I've never read cyberpunk before.

message 24: by Michael (last edited Jun 04, 2013 11:52AM) (new)

Michael (the_smoking_gnu) | 178 comments Michele wrote: "I have to say, Redshirts was fun stuff but I wouldn't listen to it in audio. It's almost all conversation between several people and I was ready to hunt down Wil and smack him for saying "He said,"..."

I couldn't agree more.
Luke is ranting about the narration in his review:
http://www.sfbrp.com/archives/494

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5995 comments

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (the_smoking_gnu) | 178 comments "You Know Nothing, Jon Snow Wil Wheaton," Dahl Tamahome said.

message 27: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2432 comments Read half of them, one of the others I'm not interested in and of the two remaining choices one is on my bookshelf. An easy choice... Pandora's Star for me.

message 28: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Do y'all like it when the results are hidden or not? Because not gonna lie, Redshirts is leading by a lot right now.

message 29: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 463 comments I like to see the results.

message 30: by Nancy (new)

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) | 135 comments My vote goes for Philip K Dick, as I've been meaning to read him for a while. If Redshirts wins, I'll be a little sad as I've read it already, but happy for the rest of the club as it's REALLY good. Funny, yet thought provoking at the same time.

message 31: by Joshua (last edited Jun 04, 2013 05:39PM) (new)

Joshua | 30 comments I voted for Pandora's Star. I am finishing up Redshirts now but would have voted for it otherwise. I am interested in all except the Dr. Who book. I know nothing of the Doctor.

message 32: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Voted for The Sparrow, on the basis that I'd not heard of most of them and have no interest in reading any more Scalzi. I also don't read Doctor Who novels - they confuse my personal canon :)

message 33: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

I changededed it. You can see the current results now.

message 34: by JRush (new)

JRush | 64 comments Makes me sad that The Sparrow is last on the list. I'm reading it right now and it feels like it was written for Sword and Laser!

message 35: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments Aw, I think that hiding the results prevents people from "ganging up" to ensure that picks are selected. Then again, I also don't say what I vote for even in things like this. ;)

That said, Redshirts is one of the two I have less than zero interest in. So if it wins, I guess this book club will be doing what book clubs do, giving me a reason to read things I otherwise wouldn't care about.

message 36: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

I'm not campaigning when I say this, because I'd be happy to read any of these books. But I voted for The Sparrow. It looks excellent.

message 37: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 820 comments Thanks for showing Results, much prefer it!

message 38: by Caedy (new)

Caedy  Eries (karida) | 21 comments Only recognized two of the options (I know that's bad for me), but I voted for the one of the two that I hadn't read yet...Redshirts looks awesome.

message 39: by Hershel (new)

Hershel Shipman (hershdawg) | 43 comments I've read Redshirts, and Do Andriods Dream so I went for Pandora's Star. That or Ringworld.

message 40: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I'm going to campaign just a little and say that while Redshirts is a fun and easy read, it's pretty fluffy - I mean is there really anything much to discuss? I dunno, just seems like a book club might want a little more depth in its choices.

message 41: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 30 comments I like seeing the results, but I guess it can influence votes sometimes. Instead of voting for the actual one you want to win, you may vote for your second or third pick if it has a better chance at winning. I don't know if this really matters or not...just sayin'.

As for Redshirts narration, it is a little heavy on the he said/she said towards the beginning but it gets better. As for me, I am a big fan of Wheaton's narration. How can you not love his drunk Kerensky? :)

message 42: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Fyi, While the tally never appeared while results were "hidden", the voters show up on the bottom left, so someone really bored/determined could figure it out anyway.

It's probably simpler showing it like you are now.

message 43: by Rodrigo (new)

Rodrigo (morcego) | 188 comments Tom wrote: "Do y'all like it when the results are hidden or not?"

Considering the kind of people here, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. The only advantage, if it were shown, is that we could campaign for a particular title.

Tom wrote: "Because not gonna lie, Redshirts is leading by a lot right now."

Hardly surprising, considering how much buzz we have seen about it lately. And it is worth it. I've read, and loved it.

message 44: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Kim wrote: "I read a Doctor Who novel once and it was so bad I've never wanted to read another again."

There've been over five hundred Doctor Who novels by hundreds of authors across several different publishers. I don't think one stinker is enough to write off the entire line, especially when the publisher's getting real SF writers like Alastair Reynolds and Stephen Baxter to do the books.

message 45: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 625 comments I would be happy to read any but Ringworld (I stopped listening to the audiobook in disgust at the one female role). I may try it in print/ebook one day so I can just skim over that drek and get to the actual cool sci-fi.

I voted for Redshirts, I think. Would be happy with Pandora's Star too.

message 46: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Michele wrote: "I have to say, Redshirts was fun stuff but I wouldn't listen to it in audio. It's almost all conversation between several people and I was ready to hunt down Wil and smack him for saying "He said,"..."

I listened to it in audio and I completely agree. In print, you can skim over the saids, but they are glaringly obvious in audio. Plus, Wheaton reads it way too fast. That's a complaint you'll rarely hear.

message 47: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Tom wrote: "I'm not campaigning when I say this, because I'd be happy to read any of these books. But I voted for The Sparrow. It looks excellent."

The Sparrow is one of the best books I've ever read. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is excellent too. Either would provide really meaty discussion material.

message 48: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 116 comments I voted for Redshirts but I just bought the Doctor Who book, so I'd be happy to read either :)

message 49: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1126 comments I've already read Ringworld (loved it), Snow Crash (loved it), and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep(meh). I just watched a couple episodes of Dr. Who and thought it was pretty cheesy so I'm not really interested in reading that and I've never heard of The Sparrow. I already own Redshirts and Pandora's Star and I loved Old Man's War so I voted for Redshirts.

message 50: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments I still stand by my desire to see the club read a book based on a film/tv show since we seem to read more than a few books that get turned into films.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.