fiction files redux discussion

some music you have read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Jennifer | 141 comments Mod
thanks to kerry, i’ve been enjoying the neutral milk hotel’s album in the aeroplane over the sea, which was influenced greatly by anne frank and her diary. there are many songs throughout the album that refer to her or are about her, so this seemed a logical example. what albums or songs (obvious or obscure) do you know that have a connection to literature?

message 2: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

i just realized i'm a hot tamale! :D

message 3: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
Hey there, hot tamale... and here I racked my brains for a suitable moderator title... I should let other people decide!

So Kerry has you into NMH too? She should be paid for promoting them...!

OK. Hm. Well, the obvious rock and roll artists would be Dylan and Cohen. Maybe Joan Baez? But let me stretch a bit more. For now one immediately jumps to mind...

Concrete Blonde - inspired by Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire, the song Bloodletting (they do a nice cover of the Cohen song Everybody Knows)

The other stuff that comes to mind immediately are operas and ballets. Tristan und Isolde... Salome (both of which I saw recently)... Romeo & Juliet... I'm about to see Abduction from the Seraglio on Friday - but it looks like that's not based on any story I know of...

In ballet, Martha Graham's Clytemnestra comes to mind.

message 4: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

i'd forgotten about bloodletting - good one, shel :)

message 5: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 887 comments Mod
The first thing that jumped to my mind is 10,000 Maniacs' Hey Jack Kerouac but I'm sure I can come up with more when I have a little more time to devote to it. I will come back to this!

message 6: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Oh and I love NMH so much that my eagerness to expose others to their brilliance can sometimes be seen as pushy so I'm just happy that in the case of this group my pushiness has been rewarded with genuine appreciation. No commission needed.

message 7: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
wuthering heights! by kate bush

"heathcliff, it's me, it's cathy, i've come home now!"

i used to sing the pat benatar version at the top of my lungs and wake up my housemate every morning. she told me she missed it -- later. :)

pretty sure moon over bourbon street by sting is inspired by the anne rice vampire books. he also punned on the canterbury tales for one of his albums, and of course, don't stand so close to me was inspired by lolita, while roxanne was inspired by cyrano de bergerac.

there's the relationship between the doors and huxley, jefferson airplane and alice in wonderland if we're going for super obvious. :)

i pulled out bloodletting last year and gave it a listen. still sounds pretty darn good. i remember first getting it in high school when joey became a hit single, and people saying is that a girl or a guy singing? ;)

message 8: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Oh, Mark Knopfler. Romeo and Juliet. One of my all-time favorite love songs.

There goes 9 dollars and 99 more cents to Apple...

message 9: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Jennifer wrote: "i just realized i'm a hot tamale! :D"

hee hee. thought you might like that. :)

message 10: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Hey, I just bopped around my kitchen singing a freshly downloaded Joey and realized that I now sing in Johnette Napolitano's register. (I think she goes down to the F below middle C in that song, which technically makes me a Tenor 1?)

All those cigarettes in college must have done the trick.

I do so love Concrete Blonde...!

message 11: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Shel wrote: "Oh, Mark Knopfler. Romeo and Juliet. One of my all-time favorite love songs.

There goes 9 dollars and 99 more cents to Apple..."

romeo had juliet, lou reed. i love that one. :)

message 12: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Kerry wrote: "The first thing that jumped to my mind is 10,000 Maniacs' Hey Jack Kerouac but I'm sure I can come up with more when I have a little more time to devote to it. I will come back to this!"

i'm sure i've heard this song before - but i must admit i didn't know who jack kerouac was until 7 years ago or so. my friends and i didn't do all that much reading back then. i will look this one up. :)

message 13: by Dan, deadpan man (last edited Mar 11, 2009 04:45PM) (new)

Dan | 641 comments Mod
The Decemberists album The Crane Wife poped to mind as it is fashioned not after a book but after a Japanese folk tale.

Here is the story via Wikipedia:

The Crane Wife is an old Japanese tale. While there are many variations of the tale, a common version is that a poor man finds an injured crane on his doorstep (or outside with an arrow in it), takes it in and nurses it back to health. After he releases the crane, a woman appears at his doorstep with whom he falls in love and marries. Because they need money, his wife offers to weave wondrous clothes out of silk that they can sell at the market, but only if he agrees never to watch her making them. They begin to sell them and live a comfortable life, but he soon makes her weave them more and more. Oblivious to his wife's diminishing health, his greed increases. He eventually peeks in to see what she is doing to make the silk she weaves so desirable. He is shocked to discover that at the loom is a crane plucking feathers from her own body and weaving them into the loom. The crane, seeing him, flies away and never returns. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cran...)

They also have a new album coming out this month which by description seems very literary oriented though I don't know of any corresponding tale. Here is the description also from wikipedia:

azards of Love tells the tale of a woman named Margaret who is ravaged by a shape-shifting animal; her lover, William; a forest queen; and a cold-blooded, lascivious rake, who recounts with spine-tingling ease how he came "to be living so easy and free" in the aforementioned "The Rake's Song". [Becky Stark and Shara Worden:] deliver the lead vocals for the female characters, while [Jim James, Robyn Hitchcock, and Rebecca Gates:] appear in supporting roles. The range of sounds reflects the characters' arcs, from the accordion's singsong lilt in "Isn't It a Lovely Night?" to the heavy metal thunder of "The Queen's Rebuke/The Crossing". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haza...)

message 14: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Can I just say Metallica and leave it at that?

message 15: by Jennifer, hot tamale (last edited Mar 11, 2009 06:06PM) (new)

Patty wrote: "Can I just say Metallica and leave it at that?"

no!

examples please, along with an analysis, the album and songwriter(s), year of release, and title, author, and page number of literary connection. :)

message 16: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Dan wrote: "The Decemberists album The Crane Wife poped to mind as it is fashioned not after a book but after a Japanese folk tale.

Here is the story via Wikipedia:

The Crane Wife is an old Japanese tale. W..."

oh! i know this crane folk tale! it's a good one. never heard the song, though i've heard of the band.

message 17: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
tom waits is pretty much one long bukowski quote, right?

message 18: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Ben wrote: "tom waits is pretty much one long bukowski quote, right?"

Never thought about it that way. But that may be why I harbor a crush on him. That and his voice.

message 19: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
Well Frank settled down in the Valley
and hung his wild years
on a nail that he drove through
his wife's forehead
he sold used office furniture
out there on San Fernando Road
and assumed a $30,000 loan
at 15 1/4 % and put down payment
on a little two bedroom place
his wife was a spent piece of used jet trash
made good bloody marys
kept her mouth shut most of the time
had a little Chihuahua named Carlos
that had some kind of skin disease
and was totally blind. They had a
thoroughly modern kitchen
self-cleaning oven (the whole bit)
Frank drove a little sedan
they were so happy

One night Frank was on his way home
from work, stopped at the liquor store,
picked up a couple Mickey's Big Mouths
drank 'em in the car on his way
to the Shell station, he got a gallon of
gas in a can, drove home, doused
everything in the house, torched it,
parked across the street, laughing,
watching it burn, all Halloween
orange and chimney red then
Frank put on a top forty station
got on the Hollywood Freeway
headed north
Never could stand that dog

(bukowski wishes)

message 20: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Patty wrote: "Can I just say Metallica and leave it at that?"

no!

examples please, along with an analysis, the album and songwriter(s), year of release, and title, author, and page number of..."

well, ok. I'm no expert on heavy metal, but i do know that metal does borrow heavily from literature. For Whom the Bell Tolls, by Metallica, for instance, is a song based on the novel. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Iron Maiden is basically just a metal rendition of the poem. I guess I can think of some more. Or make Ben do it.

Ben, think of some more literary metal songs for me, thanks!

message 21: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (last edited Mar 12, 2009 11:28AM) (new)

Patty wrote: "Ben, think of some more literary metal songs for me, thanks!

well, finishing up the metallica:

Metallica's "one" = dalton trumbo's johnny got his gun

metallica's "the thing that should not be" and "the call of ktulu" are in the h.p. lovecraft tradition (though "the call of ktulu" is instrumental)

metallica's "four horsemen" and "creeping death" are biblical.

and

metallica's piece-of-shit "don't tread on me" begins with a MUSICAL quote from west side story's "i want to live in america" (this is the exact moment when i stopped listening to metallica)

i don't really feel like getting into the rest of my metal history right now. maybe later. but i'll leave you with two words: aleister crowley.

message 22: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Matt wrote: "(bukowski wishes)"

i'm totally with you. let's just say he's a new and infinitely improved version.

message 23: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Ben wrote: "but i'll leave you with two words: aleister crowley.

these two words occurred to me as well but then i got bogged down with wondering whether it was really his literary influence on the music, or his mysticism -- i've never read any of his novels, myself. if you know which ones influenced what artists, i'd be interested. i guess i always thought they read about aleister crowley, not books by him. :)

and i thought of another one: tales of brave ulysses by cream based on the odyssey.

message 24: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

well, ozzy's "mr. crowley," for instance... where do you come down on that? i don't know if ozzy read him or not, but he certainly gives the impression he did.

i'm sure jimmy page read crowley. i'd be hard pressed to remember actual songs, though... i haven't put a zeppelin cd in for about 13 years... though oddly enough i just bought hammer of the gods the other day... lemme get back to you on this... don't his pants count?

message 25: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Ben wrote: "well, ozzy's "mr. crowley," for instance... where do you come down on that? i don't know if ozzy read him or not, but he certainly gives the impression he did.

i'm sure jimmy page read crowley. i'..."

i'm pretty sure ozzy has never read crowley. as much as i love ozzy, i'm not sure he's a reader -- i know he was a dismal student, and some people have accused him of being illiterate. pretty sure he wasn't writing the lyrics to his songs at that point, if ever. i mean, he mispronounced crowley's name in the song! :)

as for jimmy page -- you're probably right about him actually reading crowley. i remember him being right into the occult for a while, if he isn't still. :)

message 26: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Maureen wrote: "as for jimmy page -- you're probably right about him actually reading crowley. i remember him being right into the occult for a while, if he isn't still. :)"

i think he's been casting spells to make his face wider.

message 27: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

I'm going to echo something Kerry said somewhere else. I just laughed so loud that even the regulars at my favorite coffee place in Chicago looked at me like I was just a wee bit crazy.

And green tea almost shot right out of my nose onto my screen!

message 28: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

what an impressive assortment - i didn't know many of these! i'm about to order some tom waits.

here's a somber one - how joy division got their name (from wiki) - "The House of Dolls is a 1955 novella by Ka-tzetnik 135633. The novella describes Joy Divisions, which were allegedly groups of Jewish women in the concentration camps during World War II who were kept for the sexual pleasure of Nazi soldiers." also, the song "no love lost" pulls from the novella.

and ben? where's your melvins? :)

message 29: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Jennifer wrote: "what an impressive assortment - i didn't know many of these! i'm about to order some tom waits.

Oh no you don't! He's mine! ALL MINE!!!

message 30: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Jennifer wrote: "and ben? where's your melvins? :) "

as far as i know, the melvins don't make literary references. most of the time they don't even seem to be speaking english. or, the words are english, but the sentences aren't? that's part of what i like about them; they're all feeling with no lyrical content.

message 31: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Speaking of Zeppelin, doesn't Stairway to Heaven have a bunch of Tolkien references?

message 32: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 12, 2009 05:51PM) (new)

Kerry wrote: "Speaking of Zeppelin, doesn't Stairway to Heaven have a bunch of Tolkien references?"

i just sang the song in my head and then pulled the album to confirm and it's got some mythic stuff, and a mention of looking to the west for rest, so i would say no. however another song on this same album, the battle of evermore definitely has allusions, and ramble on for led zep II has out and out references to gollum and mordor. :)

i knew the pilfering of my brother's record collection would come in handy some day. :)

message 33: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Shel wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "what an impressive assortment - i didn't know many of these! i'm about to order some tom waits.

"

i think lara might have something to say about that!

message 34: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Shel wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "what an impressive assortment - i didn't know many of these! i'm about to order some tom waits.

"
i think lara might ha..."

i think at this juncture i might need to pull out some muscle relaxants, and drop them in your drinks. nothing like a muscle relaxant and some red wine, to mellow things out. :)

message 35: by Connie (new)

Connie | 10 comments I heard "Tom Sawyer" by Rush last week...hadn't heard it in a while and it's been stuck in my head ever since.

As Neil Peart (drummer) writes, it's "a portrait of a modern day rebel, a free-spirited individualist striding through the world wide-eyed and purposeful. ...the themes of reconciling the boy and man...the difference between what people are and what others perceive them to be."

message 36: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

As long as the wine tastes like diabetic yak piss, count me in.

message 37: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Well I knew Zeppelin had some Tolkien in there somewhere!

:)

message 38: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
yes to battle of evermore with the ringwraiths and what not and dont forget misty mountain hop but none of that rocks as much as 4 sticks and why was that my least fav cut o so long ago? no idea

message 39: by Pavel (new)

Pavel Kravchenko (pavelk) | 96 comments Kerry wrote: "Well I knew Zeppelin had some Tolkien in there somewhere!

:)"

Zeppelin was all about Tolkien.

message 40: by Lauren, Cream Cheese Angel (new)

Lauren Soderberg | 80 comments Mod
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Doors. (unless I missed it?) "The End" is all about Heart of Darkness and Oedipus.

I mean, their bandname is based on a poem by William Blake.

message 41: by Lauren, Cream Cheese Angel (new)

Oh and Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" though the point of that was clearly drugs, and not literature =]

message 42: by Micha (new)

Micha (selective_narcoleptic) | 92 comments I love this thread!

message 43: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Brian (banoo) | 346 comments Mod
i'm on the mobile so i'll keep it short: alan parsons project, tales of mystery & imagination = edgar the poe... I got more but my thumb hurts.

message 44: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Lauren wrote: "Oh and Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" though the point of that was clearly drugs, and not literature =]"

Yeah, but Alice in Wonderland was pretty clearly about hallucinogens too...

There's a Tom Petty song I can't think of... damn.

message 45: by Lauren, Cream Cheese Angel (new)

Have fun trying to find one song about drugs in Tom Petty's repertoire.Thats like all he sings about!

message 46: by Micha (new)

Micha (selective_narcoleptic) | 92 comments There's a Tom Petty song I can't think of... damn.

"Don't Come Around Here No More"

message 47: by Connie (new)

Connie | 10 comments I'm thinking of the pop oldie "Tin Man" by America. Would you think that pays homage to the book or the movie? Or are they too iconic to be separated?

message 48: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Connie wrote: "I'm thinking of the pop oldie "Tin Man" by America. Would you think that pays homage to the book or the movie? Or are they too iconic to be separated?"

i think media tends to get all lumped together in our minds these days: for example, i'm not sure if shel was thinking of "don't come around here no more" as related to lit and tom petty but the song itself really has nothing to do with alice in wonderland -- it's just the music video that does. but that's the visual that's burned in our brains and inevitably associated with it. so i think for better or for worse, when most people picture dorothy they see judy garland. :)

message 49: by Lauren, Cream Cheese Angel (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Kerry wrote: "The first thing that jumped to my mind is 10,000 Maniacs' Hey Jack Kerouac but I'm sure I can come up with more when I have a little more time to devote to it. I will come back to thi..."

Also about the Decemberists, I just downloaded their whole catalog and I was listening and there was a lyric in a song (and this is where the downloading bit comes in: I can't remember which song it was)and it had a lyric about running away to Cape Paravell, which as we all know is the castle in the Chronicles of Narnia!

message 50: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

On this past weekend's APM Sound Opinions (a music review radio show) they did a whole segment about Literary Rock. You can listen to the show here:

http://soundopinions.org/shownotes/20...

« previous 1