Start by marking “Charlotte Sometimes ” as Want to Read:
Charlotte Sometimes

Charlotte Sometimes (Aviary Hall #3)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  2,963 Ratings  ·  283 Reviews
A time-travel story that is both a poignant exploration of human identity and an absorbing tale of suspense.

It's natural to feel a little out of place when you're the new girl, but when Charlotte Makepeace wakes up after her first night at boarding school, she's baffled: everyone thinks she's a girl called Clare Mobley, and even more shockingly, it seems she has traveled f
Published February 20th 2007 by NYR Children's Collection (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte Sometimes, please sign up.

Cyn Coons
I will fully admit that I didn't discover this book in the traditional way.
I have to admit to being a HUGE fan of the Cure. Yup. That's 80's quasi-gothy band, lead by Robert Smith. What can I say, I've always liked boys in makeup.

One of my favorite songs by the Cure was always Charlotte Sometimes. I didn't have a clue that the song title was taken from a book, and that lines from the book were used in the song, as well as in the song The Empty World (She talked about the armies, that marched ins
Lisa Vegan
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction, time travel, speculative fiction, boarding school stories
Great fun! I’d have adored this when I was 9, 10, 11. My 10 year old self gives this 5 full stars. If I wasn’t so in touch with my 10 year old self, I might have given this only 4 stars, but it’s a completely delightful and smart story.

It’s very suspenseful. It’s a fun meld of speculative fiction and historical fiction. Some aspects are ingenious. It was fun to try to figure out who one particular character was.

Charlotte is a wonderful character, and I was particularly fond of Emily. The mostly
Hilary
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy time travel, school stories, philosophical ideas
Recommended to Hilary by: Lisa Vegan
Charlotte Makepeace starts at boarding school, I am guessing sometime in the 1950s. To add to her troubles of fitting in at a new school, she finds that she is changing places on alternate days with a girl who was alive during the first world war. Charlotte is confused and starts to wonder who she really is.

This is a beautifully written book, very thoughtful and philosophical. I am very sorry not to have read it as a child, but hugely enjoyed reading it aloud to my daughter and discussing the st
Debbie
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never heard of Penelope Farmer prior to reading Charlotte Sometimes, but now I want to track down all her books and read them. Charlotte Sometimes is her most famous novel and even has a song based on it by The Cure. Charlotte Makepeace is sent to an English boarding school in 1958. Every other day she wakes up to find that it is 1918 and everyone thinks she is Clare Mobley – even Clare’s sister Emily. When Charlotte (as Clare) is sent to board with a family in town, she becomes trapped in 191 ...more
Andrew Barger
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’ve recently read “Charlotte Sometimes” if for no other reason than to compare The Cure lyrics of their classic song Charlotte Sometimes to parts of the children’s fantasy. This is what I learned and it’s very interesting. ***Spoiler Alter***

All the faces, All the voices blur
Change to one face, Change to one voice

First sentence: By bedtime all the faces, the voices, had blurred for Charlotte to one face, one voice.

Prepare yourself for bed

Second sentence: She prepared herself for bed . . . .

The
Phrynne
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would have loved this book to bits when I was ten years old. It has so many good things in it - time travel, boarding school, some nice historical facts , possibly a few ghosts........all good fun! Reading it now though it is quite clearly a children's book (not YA) and as such is a little bland and lacking in real action. So for me this was an excellent children's book, well written and entertaining although of course also old fashioned.
Kathryn
Margaret
Charlotte Sometimes is a wistful, fascinating blend of boarding school story and time travel fantasy. When Charlotte wakes up from her first night at boarding school, she finds that she has been magically transported back into the past, where everyone thinks she's a girl called Clare, attending the same school forty years earlier. When she wakes up the next morning, she's back in her own time, but she soon realizes that she slips back and forth every night, spending every other day as Clare.

Far
Cyndi Garcia
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I first heard the song which shares the title of this book by the 80's pop band, The Cure, I was enthralled. Astonishment ensued when I found out that the band had written the song about a story.
I had to order the book as it is no longer in print and paid a pretty penny for something I figured would be nothing more than a keepsake for my love of The Cure. From the first page it became impossible to put the book down.
I read it three times since I bought it and every time I try to figure
Mathew
I enjoyed every single page. A story which plays the time-slip genre with great maturity. A story of a young girl finding her identity by losing it. The relationship between Charlotte and Emily was so intense. I'm really moved by the sense of change and loss.
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came to this book somewhat late, having learnt of it only through my adoration of The Cure (Robert Smith took inspiration from the book for three of his songs - 'Charlotte Sometimes', 'Splintered in her Head' and 'The Empty World'). I now share at least one thing with Robert Smith (in addition to my teen penchant for eyeliner); we have both been haunted by this book for years.

Two young girls make an improbable connection across time and space without ever actually meeting; this was hard-hitti
Melody
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ostensibly a time-travel book, this little gem is actually more about figuring out who one really is. Lots of interesting historical detail thrown in besides. And it's got the perennial hook of boarding school to add to the allure. The characters rang true- especially the confusion and dismay and mustering of wits. Recommended.

I read this over the summer and somehow missed reviewing it. It was a perfect book to read by the pool.
CLM
Time travel and boarding school - how can you beat it?

My friend Ellen tells me that the Cure has a song called Charlotte Sometimes based on this book. How very odd!
Jessica
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read about Charlotte Sometimes on the Chicklit message boards, and it sounded interesting; and then finding out that Robert Smith had liked it enough to write a song about it cinched the deal and I ordered myself a copy. The book tells the story of Charlotte, a new girl at a boarding school, who wakes up one morning to find a huge tree outside her bedroom window where the day before there had been none. And more disconcertingly, the girl in the bed next to her is calling her "Clare." Charlotte ...more
Kim
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is an old favorite, one which I read as a child and rediscovered as an adult. It's a time travel fantasy, in which two girls at the same boarding school, one in 1918 and one in the present day (which was 1960 something---it's an old book) switch places. From a science fictional perspective, the book is flawed, not answering questions about how or why the transfer takes place. That simply isn't the point. However, by exploring the outcomes of their switching places---the bizarre relationship ...more
Brooklyn Tayla
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charlotte Sometimes is a children's novel which was published in 1969, by the English author Penelope Farmer. It was recommended to me by one of my work mates, and when I started reading it, I knew I was in for a unique reading experience.

It's initially set in a boarding school, we have various students and objects described to us in detail, it's fantastic, I felt like I was there, everything was as new to me as it was to Charlotte; who finds when she wakes up, things are different again!

What I
Stephanie
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was expecting this to be whimsical and sort of funny but it turned out to be extremely suspenseful, at times creepy, and very thoughtful! The bits about World War I and the mystery of where the two girls would end up were terrifying.
Kim
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was always one of my favorite books from my childhood.
Seward Park Branch Library, NYPL
I was so impressed by Penelope Farmer's 'Charlotte Sometimes'. It is a story of a girl growing older, of adjusting to life away from home for the first time, or a new life amongst unfamiliars.

What I appreciated most about the book were the implications it carried with it in regards to what it *is* to grow older. I think it's something of an impulse to think of childhood as something merely left behind—or that, we enter adulthood at the expense of a broad vivacity which gives our formative years
Patricia
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book as child (probably 8 - 10 years old) and that was *coughalmostfortyyearscough* ago and all I remembered was that I totally loved it!
Then recently, by a twist of fate, I discovered it was available on Audible and I couldn't resist having a nostalgic re-read.
It's definitely interesting t0 revisit as an adult, it's a very English book (which I didn't remember) and its actually quite a sad too, set at the end of the war, there's soldiers dying, children losing their parents and chil
Ivan
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a low fantasy time-travel novel published in 1969. The story is simply told in a clear prose style. It is about a girl in a boarding school in the late 1950s who sleeps in a bed and wakes up as someone else in 1918 - the girls change places from day to day until the girl from the 50s gets stuck in 1918 when that girl is removed from the school. The rest of the narrative deals with her adjustment to living in 1918 and her attempts to get back. It's really a lovely tale, well told. I was i ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
I have the vague feeling that I've read this book in the past. It was published in 1969; I turned 8 that year. It's highly likely that I found this book in the library that same year, or the next, or the next. I was already a voracious reader and loved time travel, ghost stories, magic, historical adventure. So this would have been a clear choice with its transport of Charlotte in 1969 back into the body of Clare in 1918.

The excellent thing about this book is the way Charlotte is led to thoughts
mills♥
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book and I thought it could be good for all ages.
Time travel.
Time travel.
I don't read many time travel books because I think there are not that much out there.
I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK PLEASE READ!! :)
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really far out experience to read this; it combines time travel with childhood imagination to create an unforgettable story of life in the first world war.
A B
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
As many other reviewers have mentioned, I'd have never heard of this book if it were not for The Cure's beautiful song of the same name.

I kinda wish I'd just enjoyed the music and not sought out its inspiration.

The book is not completely bad or without merit. In fact, the premise is one of the most creative that I have seen in children's supernatural-themed books. The writing is quite good as well, and is surprisingly readable for an older book (not all classic books are easy for today's kids to
Dave
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about more than it seems to be. It's about time travel, I suppose, though really that's only incidental. It's about self-knowledge for Charlotte, and how she gets a little braver and more distinct in how she differs from Clare. It's also about all the other characters and how they change throughout the book, though we only ever see them through Charlotte's eyes. And it's about people never really in the book at all, like Arthur, and Emma, and Clare for that matter. It has a feeling ...more
Sarah Laing
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the first part of this book as a child but I never finished it – funny that I finished it now, in my 40s. It seems appropriate, given its time travel themes.
Rosemary
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favourite that I reread. Still loved it although it doesn't quite have the wow factor that I experienced when reading it as a child.
Clare
I wish I had read this book when I was a child but actually, strangely I did not know of its existence until I saw a 40th Anniversary edition in Waterstones and was drawn by its interesting title and the fact that I am often drawn to books written by an author with the first name of Penelope; this is because it is my middle name and I am aware that it is unusual and for this reason I like it.

It is a fascinating and original story of a girl named Charlotte who, on starting a new boarding school
Storywraps
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Being in a new boarding school is tough enough as it is, but to wake up and find you are in another year (1918 - 40 years in the past), with a brand new name, is confusing and very scary. How can this happen and how do you get back to your present time?

That is precisely what happens to Charlotte Makepeace. She goes to sleep one night and wakes up the next morning as Clare Mobley. She has somehow time- travelled back in time 40 years. Luckily she meets an older girl who has a message for her fr
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • Time at the Top
  • A Traveller in Time
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Marianne Dreams (The Magic Drawing Pencil, #1)
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • Uncle
  • Carbonel: The King of Cats (Carbonel, #1)
  • The House of Arden (Fabian Time Fantasies, #1)
  • The Little Bookroom
  • A Stitch In Time
  • Grinny
  • The Family from One End Street (The Family from One End Street, #1)
  • The Sterkarm Handshake (Sterkarm, #1)
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • The Magic Summer
  • The School for Cats
  • The Midnight Folk
British children's author Penelope Farmer was born in 1939, in Westerham, Kent, the daughter of Hugh Robert MacDonald and Penelope Boothby Farmer. She published her first book, The China People, in 1960, going on to use one of the longer stories originally intended for that collection as the basis of her first novel, The Summer Birds, which received a Carnegie commendation.
More about Penelope Farmer

Aviary Hall (3 books)
  • The Summer Birds (Aviary Hall, #1)
  • Emma in Winter

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“Of course I'm not going to look through the keyhole. That's something only servants do. I'm going to hide in the bay window.” 6 likes
“Where you some particular person because people recognized you as that?” 5 likes