The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - January 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 256 (256 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments What has everyone plan on reading to start off there new reading goals in a brand new year?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (conundrum44) | 98 comments I'll be starting 2013 off with American Gods and Aunts Aren't Gentlemen

message 3: by D3a (new)

D3a Im starting with Snow Crash ! Started yesterday and Im loving it so far.

message 4: by Malin (new)

Malin (maline) | 17 comments Happy New Reading Year! I'm starting the year with The Rook, which is really awesome so far.

message 5: by Titta (new)

Titta (happodan) | 9 comments I'm starting this year with 1Q84: Books 1 and 2 and Cloud Atlas. I'm really liking them both. :)

message 6: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Hansen (malazanshadowdancer) | 64 comments I'm still halfway through The Bonehunters, so I hope to finish it this month. I think I'll start the second book in the trilogy made by Sky from this forum Water-Seer, as I really liked the first one :)

message 7: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) just finished The Alloy of Law, the fourth mistborn novel. absolutely loved it. review is here

in the contemporary fiction world, I finished Alice Munro's Too Much Happiness yesterday. fabulous read, i have already ordered more of Munro's work.

next up: Gardens of the Moon

message 8: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments Rereading Skirmish by West, preparing for book #5, Battle. Thanks for mentioning it in the calendar, Tom.

message 9: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 329 comments Like Hanne, I'm starting Gardens of the Moon. This will be the second time through for me.

message 10: by S.G. (new)

S.G. (s-girl) | 4 comments Finished the Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey (1-5) but need to pick up 6&7 . Still trying to get through Strange/Norrell though... \o/

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
I am also starting Gardens of the Moon. Hmm. It's almost like their is a group of us reading it or something. :P

I also finished my audio re-"read" of The Gunslinger. (My Review)

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I'm also rereading Gardens of the Moon since I found a UK edition last week.

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott (szwast) | 3 comments Just finished The Trial of Fallen Angels. Normally I NEVER buy any book that starts with the protagonist losing their family, but the legal process in the afterlife aspect of this made me break that rule.

Now I'm halfway through Romeo Spikes and enjoying it very much. It is an interesting story, lushly told.

message 14: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Just finished The Last Command which gets me 1 of 50 books read in the 2013 reading challenge. Next book will probably be Star Wars: Scoundrels though I might take a wild ride into the Vaginal Fantasies group and read their January pick Outlander. Just a different genre other than all the Star Wars and Joe Abercrombie I've been reading.

message 15: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2469 comments As I have already read Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades I am keeping with the S&L theme by reading The Last Colony.

message 16: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments I started a whole slew -- a SLEW says I! -- of books last year. (Meaning two weeks ago.)

So right now I have bookmarks in the following:

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Fool Moon - about halfway, struggling with this one.

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson Warbreaker - 3/4 done, digging it

Imaginative Realism How to Paint What Doesn't Exist by James Gurney Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist - halfway also, really interesting

The Cassandra Project by Jack McDevitt The Cassandra Project - barely started, but I'm intrigued

Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) by Hugh Howey Wool Omnibus - bought this months ago and now it's in the reading-it rotation.

message 17: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Scarecrow Returns by Matthew Rielly

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard | 3 comments Grave Peril By Jim Butcher

message 19: by Will (new)

Will (longklaw) | 261 comments Besides Old Man's War I'm going to try to read Hop in the Saddle: A Guide to Portland's Craft Beer Scene, by Bike and/or Beautiful Creatures

message 20: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Kepner (pty4488) | 5 comments I'm reading The Eye Of The World by Robert Jordan

message 21: by Will (new)

Will (longklaw) | 261 comments Completely forgot about A Memory of Light. That will trump the other 2

message 22: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Started listening to The Drawing of the Three as my Dark Tower re-'read' continues.

Will wrote: "Completely forgot about A Memory of Light. That will trump the other 2"

Yeah that book coming out in the middle of the month is really messing up any plans I would have to read other stuff. That's a drop everything and read book for me, so I don't want to start anything big until I'm done with it.

message 23: by Ricky (new)

Ricky Holmes | 21 comments Currently listening to the audiobook of "Lies of Locke Lamora"

message 24: by James (new)

James | 17 comments Redshirts by John Scalzi and right after I will read Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi

message 25: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Re-read Old Man's War pretty quickly, so I'm on to Charles Stross' Halting State.

message 26: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie and should be getting The Sins of the Fathers (Matthew Scudder, #1) by Lawrence Block today so I can start it.

message 27: by Dharmakirti (last edited Jan 02, 2013 05:50PM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I'm about half way through Leslie Marmon Silko's Gardens in the Dunes and I'm loving it.

I've also recently started Haruki Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World which I'm enjoying very much. It's the second Murakami novel I've read (the other being 1Q84) and I'm definitely going to be reading more of his work.

message 28: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 329 comments Geoff wrote: "The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Scarecrow Returns by Matthew Rielly"

Still have The Passage on my to- read pile.

I really liked the first two Scarecrow books from Matthew Reilly. I'll be interested to hear what you thought of this one.

message 29: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 329 comments Ty wrote: "Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie and should be getting The Sins of the Fathers (Matthew Scudder, #1) by Lawrence Block today so I can start it."

I've read the first three or four Scudder books and loved them.

message 30: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Just finished Old Man's War and started Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn: The Final Empire. First time reading Sanderson so I hope it's good. Also want to read the Vaginal Fantasy pick for this month, Outlander but we shall see.

message 31: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Dara wrote: "Just finished Old Man's War and started Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn: The Final Empire. First time reading Sanderson so I hope it's good. "

I really enjoyed that series. The final book really sort of blew me away with how he tied everything together and explained stuff. He lays a lot of subtle details in each book that you don't get the significance of till the end.

message 32: by Pedro (new)

Pedro António | 64 comments Just finished Knife of Dreams and while it was definitely better than Crossroads of Twilight it wasn't anything special. Some of the twists were great and Jordan finally seemed to get relationships right, but the pacing is all over the place. It starts off strong, falls to Crossroads of Twilight territory for a while, then picks up somewhat, though it never really seems to truly get things going before the very end.

The ending, however, was absolutely amazing and I'm really eager to see how Brandon Sanderson picks up from here. Feel free to read my full review here.

Given how close we are to A Memory of Light's release, I'll see if I can't sprint through books 12 and 13 and read it soon after release. With that said, I'll be reading The Gathering Storm next!

message 33: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments Finished Old Man's War. Up next, I'm going to start something that's not a sword or a laser, but was suggested in one of the videos. Jim Butcher mentioned during his author episode that the Spencer series was an influence. So I thought I'd try The Godwulf Manuscript first before diving into the Dresden Files at some point this year.

message 34: by Janet (new)

Janet | 51 comments This month I am reading:

Memories of Ice
Spin
The Fractal Prince

Since everyone has been loving The Rook, I hope to get to that one soon too!

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Janet wrote: "This month I am reading:

Memories of Ice
Spin
The Fractal Prince

Since everyone has been loving The Rook, I hope to get to that one soon too!"

Hopefully you will enjoy Memories of Ice, which I read last year. It is one of the best book I have ever read because it has action all though the book, no fillers.

message 36: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments I've got Doctor Who And The Daleks, Titus Groan and Old Man's War on the go right now, and American Gods, The Lies of Locke Lamora and Mistborn: The Final Empire out of the library and ready to start.

message 37: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2254 comments Finished Ghost Story and am mere moments away from starting Cold Days, the latest from Jim Butcher.

message 38: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
I've just about finished Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie (Love it.)

I'm trying to decide whether to read The Heroes or Red Country by the same author next.

Has anyone read The Heroes ? Veronica and Tom's comments make it sound like a bit of a struggle to get through.

message 39: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I've just about finished Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie (Love it.)

I'm trying to decide whether to read The Heroes or Red Country by the same author next.

Has anyone read The Heroes ? Veroni..."

I've read both and Heroes is probably my favourite. Also, even though Red Country is stand alone -all the books have goodies in them for people who have read the previous books in order - So Red Country has a few (non-essential) gags you won't get unless you've read The Heroes.

message 40: by Emmanuel (new)

Emmanuel Parfond (frenchdude) | 45 comments I'm finishing Cloud Atlas (I know, I know..) and then it's Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi + Kingpin How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground by Kevin Poulsen + The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

message 41: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Emmanuel wrote: "Then it's Kingpin How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground by Kevin Poulsen "

Ooh. I'll be curious how that is. I've had it on my to read list for awhile, but haven't gotten around to it. In fact, I should see if my library has that..

*wanders off to check*

Ooh. They do. Now I just need to find time to fit it in. Maybe I'll wait till you're done. :)

message 42: by Rob (new)

Rob Habaradas (yupeh) | 13 comments Just finished The Hobbit (I know I'm late already). Then, am starting off with Philip Dick's 'Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep' since the book of the month is not yet ready for pick-up in the library.

message 43: by Igor (new)

Igor (igork) | 105 comments Just started Caliban's War

message 44: by James (new)

James | 17 comments Rob wrote: "Just finished The Hobbit (I know I'm late already). Then, am starting off with Philip Dick's 'Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep' since the book of the month is not yet ready for pick-up in the lib..."

I just finished 'Sheep' It was the first time I ever read it and I must say its def in my top 3 of all time. I dont know how Philip K thought of that story but to think of it back in the 60's.. = Mind Blown!

message 45: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 5 comments My reading goals this year is to read at least every book for The Sword and Laser. However, time and children permitting, I also plan to read some of Ian Fleming's Bond novels.

message 46: by Rob (new)

Rob Habaradas (yupeh) | 13 comments James wrote: "I just finished 'Sheep' It was the first time I ever read it and I must say its def in my top 3 of all time. I dont know how Philip K thought of that story but to think of it back in the 60's.. = Mind Blown!"

Exciting! I was choosing a Philip K book to read from either 'Sheep' or 'Ubik' and I chose this instead.

message 47: by Paul (new)

Paul Continuing to work my way through The Dresden Files. After that i think i'll go back to a bit of sword. I've wanted to give Gardens of the Moon another try for a long time so i'll probably move on to that.

message 48: by John (new)

John (johnbrock) | 33 comments I already finished Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi or will start on The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger and maybe start again on American Gods by Neil Gaiman .

message 49: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Paul wrote: "I've wanted to give Gardens of the Moon another try for a long time so i'll probably move on ..."

Forgive me if you knew this already, but a bunch of us are reading that now at a pace of 4 chapters a week over at the Malazan Fallen group here on goodreads, if you're looking to discuss it if/when you do.

message 50: by John (john) (new)

John (john) (dowdykitchenman) | 130 comments Am about 2/3 through The Children of the Sky; I'll finish it but it's been work to keep myself at it. For some spice I've also started Gun Machine and liking it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6